Photo

Working At Fast Food restaurant...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:52 AM

I was wondering just how bad working at a fast food restaurant is for your skin. I have been working at wendy's for the last 7 months and over that period my acne got worse and worse. I broke out in places i never had acne such as my neck and back. When i first started then i only had mild acne on my forehead. Now I have moderate acne all over my face. i only work three days a week for 5 hours each day, so im wondering if there is something else to blame for the acne. I wash my face as soon as my shift is over. Any suggestions on what to do>?? And just how bad is it for your skin to work at a fast food restaurant. Does it clog your pores pretty bad? I'm hoping i dont have to quit this job over acne, but at this point its definetly not out of the question.

#2 ospray

ospray

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:56 AM

Just to rule out other factors first, is there anything else that has change since you've noticed it getting worse? And what are you washing with? Maybe starting to do that every time you have a shift irritates the skin.

#3 mkozan

mkozan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:02 AM

I worked at a Wendy's for 3 years. My skin didn't really seem to be affected too bad by it. I do suggest that you pay attention to NOT touching your face before you have washed your hands. It's so easy to touch your face and not realize it...like if you have an itch or whatever. Washing your face afterwards is good too.

#4 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:53 PM

Before i got moderate acne, I use to wash with netrogrena oil free acne wash once in the mouring in the shower and that was it. Since my acne has gotten worse ive been washing my face in the mourning and night with neutrogren acne prone skin soap bar. I also wash my face in the after noon with just water. I am currently in this 101e acne getaway for about 6 days now and so far hasnt done anything for me. Thanks for the advice about not touching my face, ill try not to, i probably do touch it many times not realizing it.

#5 K-La

K-La

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:34 PM

OMG I know EXACTLY what you mean. I've been working at a place like that for about 2 months now and even though my acne was pretty severe beforehand, it got way worse in the last couple months. I am so devastated and I don't know what to do. URRGHHH. I don't wanna quit either though cuz I like the job and the people. It sucks. sad.gif

#6 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:07 PM

I put this another post about the person who asked about working in a pizza place.Some people's acne is worsened by pressure, so if your hair restraint is a hat, you could switch to a hairnet.I know it's not stylish.Do they filter the fryer grease at least 2x a day?Fryer grease that is full of junk burns more easily and pollutes the air, and that "dirty air" can irritate acne in some.Is the production area air conditioned?Again some people have their skin worsened by an increase in humidity.The higher humidity causes an almost inperceptible amount of swelling in the tissues creating increased pressure on the follicle walls.That pressure can in some worsen acne.So what do you do?I've worked in restaurants for a long time, and these tips have helped me.First, wear a net not a hat.Wash the hands frequently even if you wear gloves.As the other poster said, limit touching the face.Drink water while you are working not soda pop.I keep both C&C blotters and Biore Cleansing Cloths in my bag to refresh my skin.I wash my face before I go in and right away when I get home.I work 10 hour days, so if your shifts are short don't scrub too hard, the washing is to get the crud from the air off the skin.Make sure your uniform is clean too esp. any apron you wear.Because your hands are in contact with that apron, if the apron is dirty then that bacteria gets passed right back to your hands.

#7 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(apple49 @ Dec 9 2004, 09:07 AM)
I put this another post about the person who asked about working in a pizza place.Some people's acne is worsened by pressure, so if your hair restraint is a hat, you could switch to a hairnet.I know it's not stylish.Do they filter the fryer grease at least 2x a day?Fryer grease that is full of junk burns more easily and pollutes the air, and that "dirty air" can irritate acne in some.Is the production area air conditioned?Again some people have their skin worsened by an increase in humidity.The higher humidity causes an almost inperceptible amount of swelling in the tissues creating increased pressure on the follicle walls.That pressure can in some worsen acne.So what do you do?I've worked in restaurants for a long time, and these tips have helped me.First, wear a net not a hat.Wash the hands frequently even if you wear gloves.As the other poster said, limit touching the face.Drink water while you are working not soda pop.I keep both C&C blotters and Biore Cleansing Cloths in my bag to refresh my skin.I wash my face before I go in and right away when I get home.I work 10 hour days, so if your shifts are short don't scrub too hard, the washing is to get the crud from the air off the skin.Make sure your uniform is clean too esp. any apron you wear.Because your hands are in contact with that apron, if the apron is dirty then that bacteria gets passed right back to your hands.

View Post

Thanks for the reply apple49 They filter the fryers maybe 2 or 3 times a week. And what i noticed was that when im working my face gets red and the acne on my face gets inflamed. When i get home and wash my face, the redness goes down.

#8 Xorcist

Xorcist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:12 PM

Make sure you take your shower at the right time, befor you go to work. say you work at 3:00pm take a shower 20 minnets befor that then head out the door.

Same thing when you get off work hop ya ass in the shower ass soon as possible.

Also I use to work for a restaurant as a busser, also dishwashing.
On my breaks I would go into the bathroom wash my hands first thing and bring some oil absorbing clothes with me to help my break outs even less. Good luck.

Oh and, you might want to check into your hair styling gel's or sprays find good ones that wont harm your skin and clog pores..

#9 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:43 PM

Let me preface this by saying I am not a scientist and I have never conducted any sort of experiment to back up what I am about to say. But, because of what I have seen, I say it with confidence:

Get out of that place if you can. Any kind of work is better that working near a fat friar. The oil is super nebulized and it rises with the heat into the air over the friar. The combination of heat and oil, opens your pores and then deposits fats into them. It is like feeding your acne. Get out of that job.

You can work in a restaurant kitchen, or as a dishwasher. You can work in a hot, steamy environment (not ideal for acne, but still manageable) But don’t work in a fast food restaurant, my friend.

Someone further up this list of posts said not to drink soda while working. I think this is a very good idea.

#10 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(The Jack @ Dec 15 2004, 09:43 AM)
Let me preface this by saying I am not a scientist and I have never conducted any sort of experiment to back up what I am about to say. But, because of what I have seen, I say it with confidence:

Get out of that place if you can. Any kind of work is better that working near a fat friar. The oil is super nebulized and it rises with the heat into the air over the friar. The combination of heat and oil, opens your pores and then deposits fats into them. It is like feeding your acne. Get out of that job.

You can work in a restaurant kitchen, or as a dishwasher. You can work in a hot, steamy environment (not ideal for acne, but still manageable) But don’t work in a fast food restaurant, my friend.

Someone further up this list of posts said not to drink soda while working. I think this is a very good idea.

View Post

Thanks for your reply. "The combination of heat and oil, opens your pores and then deposits fats into them. " I definetly noticed this and this was one reason why i blamed my work for my acne. When I come home from work I can see huge blackheads in my pores, except the top isnt black, its just white like the grease in the fryers. That stuff really does get up in your pores, and fast too. Ah, i just don't know what to do right now, because I don't have another job right now, and i really need the money.

#11 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

I worked at a hamburger place when I had acne as a kid. Awful and I just thought it was eating the stuff and drinking the soda, years later,
that made my skin worse. But thinking about your situation, maybe there is something you could apply to your skin before you start that would help protect it from the grease sinking into your pores. I will think
about this and see what I can come up with. Does that make some sense? Good luck, it is hard to find jobs so quitting may not be so great.

#12 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:56 AM

OK, I searched "protect from breakouts" and came up at a dermstore
site for a Murad product called Acne spot treatment. Here's a link.
http://www.dermstore...urad_bid142.htm
Don't necessarily think it's the only thing you could use. I bet Neutrogena has something so I'll look more. But it sounds like there
might be something to apply to keep your skin from getting worse.

#13 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:21 PM

You are in a tough spot. You would do well to get a different job, but right now you need money and your face is badly broken out. That straight sucks, as it is hard to search for a new job when you look bad. Cutting lose from a job is generally best attempted when you’re feeling pretty strong. Acne undermines that. I suppose you could formulate some kind of plan to build a little capitol, and see a dermatologist while taking three weeks off to recover - before looking for a new gig. But that sort of thing can be difficult to organize if your circumstances aren’t right. And really, it isn’t my business to tell others what to do, so I’ll just say I empathize and say good luck. Try and stay a solid while you’re at where your at, and realize that circumstances will eventually change.

One last thought: Does Dan’s regimen work for you?

#14 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:29 PM

Just about two weeks ago i started using this 101e acne getaway. So far it is working great and since using it have not have had any major breakouts, and when i do break out its not as bad as before. Supposedly it is suppose to do a complete clear up in 4-6 weeks, i am very excited. Anyone who has mild to moderate acne should definetly give this stuff a try. It is a lotion/ointment kinda thing that u apply to your face three times a day. I'm hoping this is the answer to my problems, so far it seems to be working. I don't know if this 101e keeps my pores from opening from the fryers and getting clogged, but it definetly reduces my breakouts so far. Another thing that puzzles me is that my brother works at mcdonalds and more hours than me and he has completely clear skin! wtf! Don't we have the same genes, so shouldn't our skin be the same?

#15 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone know how long it would take for my pores to clear up if I were to quite? I've had about all I can take now, and may quit within the next couple days.

#16 slim

slim

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:11 PM

This is my response to your acne flare up in the fast food restaurant.
I would say all the oil gets on your face making it worse. Also heat causes your oil glands to be stimulated and they produce oil and sebum. Try using 100% aloe vera gel to moisturize. I'm using one now by Fruit of the Earth. Always wash your hands. Never touch your face with unwashed hands. Try adding a pinch of Lecithin granules to your cleanser when your work is done to emulsify the oil. After you cleanse rub an ice cube over your face to chill it. Hope this helps.
See how I cleared my acne on the board BP FREE ACID FREE SKIN CARE - ZIT FREE. Good Luck! SHAZ AKA SLIM

#17 Pawandeep S Thind

Pawandeep S Thind

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

I searched on Google on this similar topic and came across this forum.
I had worst acne about four years ago. I have been studying on this topic since then to find a solution to this problem. Now acne on my face is almost gone because I have educated myself about my skin type and products that I should apply on my skin to avoid breakouts.
I also work at the fast food restaurant and cooking oil is their main ingredient because every single item on their menu is fried. Steam made-out-of oil is very common.
I work their five days a week and about 6 to 7 hours a day and I get two days straight off. The day I don’t work I don’t get any or very few breakouts than the day I do work.
I believe that oil steam sits on my skin and cause pore clogging and which leads to the breakouts.
I’m going to quit my job this December 2012 because acne stopping me doing many things in my life and it is very essential for me to come up with a better solution to achieve things in life.

Edited by Pawandeep S Thind, 07 April 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#18 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

The oils in the air are probably accumulating in your pores. I suggest using a 2% BHA toner like Paula's Choice, or even make your own BHA toner with crushed aspirins. Stay away from toners with too much alcohol though.

BHA is oil-soluble and can help breakup and remove the oil deposits from your skin. A regular face wash alone can't do this as effectively.