Photo

Supplements/Vitamins

vitamin vitamins vitamin e fish oil zinc milk thistle probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:22 PM

I want to make a change in my supplements and need some opinions what to take.
Lately I have been getting alot of breakouts around my mouth.

The vitamins I have are (I'm not taking all of them)

-Vit C
-Cod Liver Oil
-Fish Oil
-Zinc
-B6
-B5 - All in Pill Form
-Milk Thistle
-Vitamin E
-Copper
-Probiotics
-Brewers Yeast
-Flax Seed Oil

Also make suggestions if I should purchase any new ones and take them.

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:12 PM

Vitamins won't cure breakouts. Most doctors will agree that if you eat a balanced diet, you don't really need to take vitamins at all.

#3 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:24 PM

Hmm..yeah but honeslty who can eat a balanced diet every single day of the week?
Its too damn hard and sometimes you gotta hit the drive thru. smile.gif
I agree the vitamins will NOT cure acne. I never had much luck with that route..although you should definately keep taking them for other reasons.

#4 HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:38 AM

That's a lot of stuff to be supplementing with. If I were you i'd just opt for some Zinc if you aren't eating meat regularly enough, and maybe some vitamin C if you feel like pushing the boat out or you aren't eating a proper balanced diet with veg/fruit in it.

#5 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:18 AM

yes, allthose vitamins are pointless. it easy to get the rda of most of those through normal diet

#6 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(nooters10 @ Dec 7 2004, 12:22 AM)
I want to make a change in my supplements and need some opinions what to take.
Lately I have been getting alot of breakouts around my mouth.

The vitamins I have are (I'm not taking all of them)

-Vit C
-Cod Liver Oil
-Fish Oil
-Zinc
-B6
-B5                                            - All in Pill Form
-Milk Thistle
-Vitamin E
-Copper
-Probiotics
-Brewers Yeast
-Flax Seed Oil

Also make suggestions if I should purchase any new ones and take them.

View Post

I would forget the copper as you are very likely getting more than enough especially if you drink a lot of tap water or just take it once in a while.
B vitamin complex would be better than B5 & B6.
Use the Milk Thistle once in a while i.e. after a heavy nights drinking but not on a daily basis.
Check the ingredients on the Vitamin E. The natural form will list d-alpha Tocopherol where as the un-natural chemical version will list d1-alpha Tocopherol as the ingredient. The natural is what you want, the chemically based one will aggravate acne.

Not a bad group of supplements but it would be worth getting rid of certain ones to make way for something like digestive enzymes. I wont go in to details and bore you but the body was never designed to consume things like meat and say potato at the same time. Basically if you eat two foods like that together you seriously hinder digestion which can cause many issues. It also uses energy and disturbs sleep if you eat stuff like that within a few hours of bed time. Ever noticed how sometimes you burp and you can taste food you ate hours ago? Get some enzymes made from vegetable sources and it will help your body big time when you eat a badly combined meal.

#7 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

should I take the digestive enzymes before or after I eat? and take them at every meal or what?

#8 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:13 AM

Best to take just before a meal. I take them after every proper meal and sometimes big snacks like a king size snickers.

#9 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE(Snipe12 @ Dec 7 2004, 01:12 PM)
Check the ingredients on the Vitamin E.  The natural form will list d-alpha Tocopherol where as the un-natural chemical version will list d1-alpha Tocopherol as the ingredient.  The natural is what you want, the chemically based one will aggravate acne.

View Post

What makes you believe that?

Bryan

#10 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:07 AM

What makes you believe that?

Just research I did a while back. The natural form is obviously preferable to any chemically based version. The natural form is also much more easily absorbed so you get more benefit from it.

#11 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

i went and bought papaya enzymes today. will they be ok to keep taking?

#12 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Snipe12 @ Dec 8 2004, 06:07 AM)
Just research I did a while back.  The natural form is obviously preferable to any chemically based version.  The natural form is also much more easily absorbed so you get more benefit from it.

View Post

That's very VERY difficult for me to believe. Everything I've read indicates that there is essentially no difference in effectiveness between the two, except in cost (natural vitamin E is more expensive). In fact, according to Pearson & Shaw, there is some evidence that the mixture of isomers in synthetic vitamin E _may_ actually be more effective as an antioxidant than the "natural" isomer.

I think people should generally take health-food store hype (if that's where you got that information) with two or three grains of salt, and stick with published articles in medical journals by doctors and scientists.

Bryan

#13 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:54 AM

I think we will agree to differ then. The information I obtained about vitamin E was from a University library and from medical studies/journals not from some quack selling funny tasting tea that supposedly cures cancer.

In my local health store the synthetic petroleum based vitamin E and the natural form are within 25 pence of each other so not like it is a big difference.

Whichever of us is correct I would always prefer the natural version rather than a chemically based one even if the chemically based one worked fractionally better.

#14 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:15 AM

The natural form IS better-- consider that in foods, we never find pure vitamin E existing on its own. Nutrients require synergistic compunds for absorption, coenzymes, flavonoids and the like. I know that vitamin C better absorbed when taken with an orange, for example.

#15 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Snipe12 @ Dec 9 2004, 11:54 AM)
The information I obtained about vitamin E was from a University library and from medical studies/journals...

View Post

Really? Then please provide a citation or reference for the claim that natural vitamin E is "much more easily absorbed" than the synthetic version.

Whichever of us is correct I would always prefer the natural version rather than a chemically based one even if the chemically based one worked fractionally better.

Why is that?

Bryan

#16 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(dantecubit @ Dec 9 2004, 12:15 PM)
The natural form IS better-- consider that in foods, we never find pure vitamin E existing on its own.

View Post

Alright, I've considered it. Now explain to me what that has to do with whether natural or synthetic vitamin supplements are better! biggrin.gif

Nutrients require synergistic compunds for absorption, coenzymes, flavonoids and the like. I know that vitamin C better absorbed when taken with an orange, for example.

That's probably not actually true, but what if it WERE true? What's your point? What does that have to do with natural vs. synthetic??

Bryan