Photo

Calcium question

calcium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 MB1983

MB1983

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

A lot of people on here have suggested cutting out Milk. I have cut out my milk in take dramatically, and my skin is looking much better for it.

How will this effect my calcium instake? Will my bones be effected later in life?

#2 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:47 PM

You can get calcium supps or vitamins with calcium in them.I take CitraCal 800mgs a day.400 mgs in the am 400 in the pm.Also, if you are worried about your bones, don't smoke and do regular weight bearing exercise.Also, there are orange juice products and blends that have calcium too.There are calcium formulas with Vitamin D and magnesium also.If your Vitamin D intake is low than opt for one of these because calcium isn't absorbed well without the Vitamin D.

#3 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:10 PM

Apparently (although I don't have any data to back this up) green leafy vegetables are a better source of calcium than milk anyway. the theory is that the protein in the milk changes the digestive environment so that the calcium isn't absorbed as well (or something like that)

anyway, the point is that there are a lot of other sources of calcium besides dairy (nuts, leafy greens, tofu, dried fruits, etc) -- just google it to find out more smile.gif

#4 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

If your skin has really improved - maybe you're allergic or lactose intolerant. Go to a doctor for a test -- if you are neither, then milk-removal is just a placebo and you'll be healthier by putting it back in.

#5 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:43 PM

I dont see why calcium supplements wouldnt be the same. You could always start drinking milk again in a couple of months and see if anything happens. That way if nothing does, you can eliminate milk as a cause.

#6 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:20 PM

Milk isn't necessary for bone health-- Asian women have lower rates of osteoperosis and eat little dairy. Better sources of calcium are sea vegetables, almonds (or any nut), and leafy greens as someone said. If you take calcium make sure to take it in the calcium/magnesium form as plain calcium can actually leach it out of your bones, according to the author of Food and Our Bones.

#7 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

anchovies are one of the best sources of calcium available. i do believe that many asian cuisines use a lot of anchovies.

i agree with ben, if you aren't allergic to milk you could put it back in to your diet with no negative effects. you should drink organic milk, though, as regular milk comes from cows that have been fed hormones.

#8 x_ricky_x

x_ricky_x

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

how about soya milk... ive been having soya milk instead of cows milk for the last few months... has helped alot smile.gif

#9 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(x_ricky_x @ Dec 3 2004, 11:56 AM)
how about soya milk... ive been having soya milk instead of cows milk for the last few months... has helped alot smile.gif

View Post

Soymilk has a variety of negative effects too. You're better of trying either rice or almond milk.