Photo

Does Accutane Stunt Growth?

vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 meowbowwow

meowbowwow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:43 PM

I have read a few articles online that suggest that accutane closes the growth plates prematurely, stunting growth. It says in the medication guide that 'there have been cases of stunted growth reported..." which really doesn't give me a straight answer. Does anyone know anything about this? Have any studies been done to prove or disprove this theory? Has anyone taken accutane at a young age and noticed a stop or slowing in growth (height-wise)? Has anyone taken accutane at a young age and noticed normal or considerable growth? I think this is an important issue because, even though I took accutane at 16 and had probably already completed my growth...accutane is being prescribed to 12 year olds that are just beginning the spurt to reach their adult height! This can be very detrimental to ones self-esteem, especially to guys. I keep reading that a vitamin A deficiency can stunt growth, so I find it hard to understand how an overdose could produce the same effect. Anyone have any input on the subject? Thanks.

#2 ueadian

ueadian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:43 AM

I would also be curious to know. I am 18 and I have NOT finished growing height wise. My family are all late bloomers my dad didn't get any height till he was 19 my cousins didn't start growing tall until their 20's etc. etc. And I'm on my 2nd cycle of Accutane. I'm 5'6 while thats not horribly small being a guy I would be really really mad if Accutane stopped my growth right now. I'll research this tomorrow I'm too tired tonight hopefully I wont have to dig into medical sites and editorials / journals all day tomorrow but I will if no one else has any info. on this.

#3 spotguru

spotguru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:48 AM

I've always wondered about this myself, but never seen any literature on it. If nothing has been reported, then chances are that even if 'tane is capable of such a thing then the occurances would be so small that the chances of it happening to you would be minimal.

That is, if it's even capable of such a thing at all... which is all likelyhood it isn't.

If I were a derm, I probably wouldn't prescribe Accutane to teenagers simply because it (the acne) should be given chance to run it's course or be controlled through other means. If, at 20-21 it still wasn't gone I'd Accutane that person up. smile.gif

#4 Unnamed Soldier

Unnamed Soldier

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(spotguru @ Dec 2 2004, 04:48 PM)
I've always wondered about this myself, but never seen any literature on it.  If nothing has been reported, then chances are that even if 'tane is capable of such a thing then the occurances would be so small that the chances of it happening to you would be minimal.

Maybe you should start reading something - it can affect your growth, and most likely will. Everyone that's been on it (me included) has had stunted growth. Luckily, I was nearly 6'1", and I didn't want to grow anymore.

That is, if it's even capable of such a thing at all... which is all likelyhood it isn't.

It's capable of causing liver failure, idiot. You don't think it can stunt your growth?
If I were a derm, I probably wouldn't prescribe Accutane to teenagers simply because it (the acne) should be given chance to run it's course or be controlled through other means.  If, at 20-21 it still wasn't gone I'd Accutane that person up. smile.gif

View Post

Thank god you aren't a derm. Not only would that person be fucked up in the head because of the acne for all of their teenage years, but they'd have the scars to show.

Please, everyone, do your own research and don't post idiotic nonsense without researching.

#5 spotguru

spotguru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(Unnamed Soldier @ Dec 2 2004, 11:58 PM)
Maybe you should start reading something - it can affect your growth, and most likely will. Everyone that's been on it (me included) has had stunted growth. Luckily, I was nearly 6'1", and I didn't want to grow anymore.

It's capable of causing liver failure, idiot. You don't think it can stunt your growth?

Thank god you aren't a derm. Not only would that person be fucked up in the head because of the acne for all of their teenage years, but they'd have the scars to show.

Please, everyone, do your own research and don't post idiotic nonsense without researching.

View Post

First you state that it can 'stunt growth' and then seem to take umbrage with a simple cautionary statement about its usage. Where did I say in the final paragraph that I absolutely would not prescribe 'tane at all? Point that out to me please? Of course the nature and severity of the acne would come into play as well, does one really need to state that again and again?

If you -truly- believe that it can stunt growth, why would you think it's a good idea to prescribe it during teenage years, when the majority of the growing is carried out? If the acne were mild, I see no reason to do so. Maybe acne made you 'fucked in the head' but a lot of people, even severe cases, don't end up that way. Sounds as though you're projecting.

Come back when you can comprehend basic English, fool.

EDIT: Do you have any links to literature that proves a link between Roaccutane and stunted growth? I'd like to see them.

#6 spotguru

spotguru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:43 AM

I did your job for you. From FDA.gov

"Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away."

This is part of the warning literature, I remember reading this a while ago and then searching for it online. So far I have only found anecdotal evidence of this happening

If you have some research figures, I'd be glad to see them.

Either way, I still don't know what your problem is. Are you saying you'd prefer no acne over height? What? You're all over the place. Either way, I said the chances were probably minimal of it affecting growth, seeing as though it has one line in the warning literature and no supporting evidence (that I've found) I see no reason at the moment to think it's more than a minimal risk, although present. Contrasted with your claim that it 'most likely will] [stunt growth]. How many people do you know has been on it? What is their height when compared with family members?

I was being cautious, but I can't determine if you are saying 'yay' or 'nay'.

#7 Unnamed Soldier

Unnamed Soldier

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(spotguru @ Dec 2 2004, 05:43 PM)
I did your job for you.  From FDA.gov

"Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint  pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your  bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away."

This is part of the warning literature, I remember reading this a while ago and then searching for it online.  So far I have only found anecdotal evidence of this happening

If you have some research figures, I'd be glad to see them.

Either way, I still don't know what your problem is.  Are you saying you'd prefer no acne over height?  What?  You're all over the place.  Either way, I said the chances were probably minimal of it affecting growth, seeing as though it has one line in the warning literature and no supporting evidence (that I've found) I see no reason at the moment to think it's more than a minimal risk, although present.  Contrasted with your claim that it 'most likely will] [stunt growth].  How many people do you know has been on it?  What is their height when compared with family members?

I was being cautious, but I can't determine if you are saying 'yay' or 'nay'.

View Post

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't go around saying it won't do something when you have no knowledge of the subject. People shouldn't be getting inaccurate info.

The fact is there is a POSSIBILITY it can, and if you take it, you have to be willing to accept such a risk like I did.

Don't sugarcoat this drug, it's not aspirin for god sake.

#8 spotguru

spotguru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE(Unnamed Soldier @ Dec 14 2004, 10:51 PM)
What I'm saying is that you shouldn't go around saying it won't do something when you have no knowledge of the subject. People shouldn't be getting inaccurate info.

The fact is there is a POSSIBILITY it can, and if you take it, you have to be willing to accept such a risk like I did.

Don't sugarcoat this drug, it's not aspirin for god sake.

View Post

No, you're absolutely right, I should join the scaremongering campaign of saying that 'it most likely will' (your quote) which is far less accurate than saying 'it most likely won't'. (my quote) I was being cautious, you however were being irrational.

And incidentally, I've done little more than warn people off this drug since being here unless it's absolutely neccessary, which was the whole point of my post.

#9 Arpazia

Arpazia

Arpazia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:43 PM

This being said, all points considered: I like short guys. I like tall guys too. And acne scarring doesn't bother me. I think it's sexy.

#10 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

I took accutane. I'm 6'5".

#11 evan

evan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:16 PM

im almost done 5 months of accutane, i think i shrinked like an inch or two, i used to be 6'1 now im like 5'11 or something, i dont know why....but my face is clear!

#12 Unnamed Soldier

Unnamed Soldier

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(spotguru @ Dec 14 2004, 04:32 PM)
No, you're absolutely right, I should join the scaremongering campaign of saying that 'it most likely will' (your quote) which is far less accurate than saying 'it most likely won't'. (my quote)  I was being cautious, you however were being irrational.

And incidentally, I've done little more than warn people off this drug since being here unless it's absolutely neccessary, which was the whole point of my post.

View Post

There's no 'scaremongering', you can know everything there is to know by reading the leaflet that comes with it. Anything else is probably BS and lies.

And if people need to worry about their height, they didn't or don't need accutane as it obviously wasn't that bad (unless you're like 5' or something). Period.

Neither statment is right (you or me) about height, as the FDA says, no one knows. It's better that people know there's a chance it could happen though.

#13 Michael66

Michael66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:22 AM

Thanx god I took accutane then, otherwise I would be 8 foot 9 by now [joke]

#14 Solaufein

Solaufein

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:02 AM

there is a difference between stunted growth and actually shrinking....
does it say anywhere that it can cause shrinking? because I don't remember reading that.

#15 spotguru

spotguru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Unnamed Soldier @ Dec 16 2004, 01:09 AM)
There's no 'scaremongering', you can know everything there is to know by reading the leaflet that comes with it. Anything else is probably BS and lies.

And if people need to worry about their height, they didn't or don't need accutane as it obviously wasn't that bad (unless you're like 5' or something). Period.

Neither statment is right (you or me) about height, as the FDA says, no one knows. It's better that people know there's a chance it could happen though.

View Post

I'm not one to get into semantics but: There's been very few recorded cases of stunted growth, and the claims that I could find seemed to be anecdotal at best (meaning I couldn't find any literature from the medical community to support it). This is why I said 'most likely woudln't cause such a thing. This is a perfectly adquate use of natural language to describe this lack of supporting research.

Point that finger at yourself please.

#16 Unnamed Soldier

Unnamed Soldier

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(spotguru @ Dec 15 2004, 08:33 PM)
I'm not one to get into semantics but:  There's been very few recorded cases of stunted growth, and the claims that I could find seemed to be anecdotal at best (meaning I couldn't find any literature from the medical community to support it).  This is why I said 'most likely woudln't cause such a thing.  This is a perfectly adquate use of natural language to describe this lack of supporting research.

Point that finger at yourself please.

View Post

You're not one to get into it, but then you go on to do it. Right. Hypocrite.

No, that's not why you said it at all. Prior to your post, you hadn't looked up anything at all, so stop trying to BS and make yourself look good.

You couldn't just accept that we were both wrong, could you? Too good?

#17 Bulldozer

Bulldozer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this site while just randomly surfing for things as I was taking a break from studying...
Here's my story with Roaccutane in general and regarding height affect, read it if you wish... (If you're only interested in the height relation just read the last paragraph below)

I had experience with Roaccutane for about 1 year during the age of 15... I used to have terrible acne there was no and no cream, no facial soap in this universe that could have helped and it just kept on only getting worse and worse... At some nights just when I thought things would get better I remember doing a thorough facial wash, putting all the necessary creams and a solid prayer to God before bed that things will get better and guess what? I would wake up with 5-6 new zits on my forehead... I would literally look like a pizza face and at the age where you want to go out and have fun and how shall I say experiment with girls I thought I was doomed for life.

Going to school and just hanging outside would be emberrasing and there would always be a smart ass to remind you what a face full of zits you got on your shoulders. Things changed when I went to my doctor and told him that everything he gave me so far didn't work and he told me right now there's the strongest medicine for acne out there which are these expensive pills that you need to take (Roaccutane). At that time I couldn't care less I just wanted to get rid of my acne as soon as possible so I could get on with my life without those dreadful spots all over my face!

At the time I started taking the pills I was 15 and my height was 6'1", yeah I was always the big guy for kids my age and always thought I will grow to be around 6'4". Now at the age of 16 after a year I came back from school one day and was wondering what's my height now... stood back against the wall and called my brother to measure me... I was shocked when he said only 6.'1 and 1/4".... 1/4" inch in one year?? is that normal?? Don't get me wrong I was quite active in sports playing basketball and swimming since youth and always thought I'll grow to be a big guy... Time went by and I stopped using Roaccutane at 16... At the age of 17 I was 6'1 and 1/2"... I thought that's it I won't grow anymore... and well until the age of 18 I didn't grow at all. Only from the ages 18 to 21 I somehow miracly grew 1/2" getting me to 6'2", but I think it might have something to do with improving my posture.
I always wonder whether it's my genetics to bloom very early and stop growing at an early age or it's the medicine that stunted my growth? At the time back I didn't assosiate any relation between height and the medicine, I started thinking maybe I wasn't eating enough vegetables, maybe I wasn't getting enough sleep... and now that I think of it I lead a pretty healthy life style and yet I still didn't grow naturally, so is it genetics or Roaccutane that affected it?
In my case I got 3 younger brothers, one is 18 and the two other are twins at the age of 15 and a half. So I what I did was monitor my brothers growth process who for their fortune have no clue what acne is except for a rare pimple once in a blue moon.... My 18 year old brother also hardly grew after 15... I think he grew about 2 inches after 15, and he is 5'11" now... now my twin brothers growth has also slowed down after 14 and one of them is 5'11.5" and the other one is 5'9" and they are growing at a very slow rate... So I'm thinking that afterall just MAYBE it was a my genetics call to stop growing rather than Roaccutane but who can know??
Most of you will probably say "Hey WTF dude you're already 6'2" what's your problem??" Well yeah I understand it's all in my head but for someone who was 6'1 at the age of 15 and plays spots and admired height I always wanted to be 6'4" barefoot, actually I was dead sure when I finish growing I'll be that height but you don't always get what you want haha, good moral isn't it?? amused.gif

P.S. The worst are those who treated acne at a late stage and already got these 'holes' and little scars on their face from pimples. Which that was my major concern back then, getting scars on my face from acne... Luckily I got only left with pretty much 1 scar which is hardly visible and all the other small ones faded away... Those with all the scars will have to get laser surgery to fix the skin or else they're left these ugly scars which I feel sorry for them sad.gif

#18 Someone111

Someone111

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

6'2, u dont have to worry about height problems

stunting growth does not necessarily mean height, it can be other things, like your thinking processes, that might explain how a lot of jackasses are in here. You will only find out for sure, years down the line.

Im 6 feet so i wouldnt really have a problem if i took accuatane, but i never will and ive never got a cyst in my life, just pimples, very few pimples but a large amout of blemishes, just on my two cheeks, no where else.

#19 AaronMO

AaronMO

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:44 AM

Wow, a lot of hostility here.

I did a lot of research on Accutane before starting it, and I can't recall ever reading anything concrete about it stunting growth. I do remember seeing one solitary post on a forum which resembles Bulldozer's though. Except, that person was speaking about it in more of an accusatory tone...

Basically, they said:
"I took Accutane and it stunted my growth, now i'm only 6'1 because of it!!! This drug is a nightmare DO NOT TAKE IT"

The truth is, people will readily attribute all sorts of problems to a drug if they've heard bad press about it. Many times, it turns out to just be a coincidence and nothing to do with the drug itself.

Could it stunt growth? Maybe.. anything is possible. But after 20 million some people have taken it, a majority in their teens, and there is still no scientific evidence of it, then I would guess not.

#20 screw_acne

screw_acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:07 AM

im only 5'8'' male
Nobody dies a virgin because life screws us all in a way.