Photo

Baking soda helps with pimples?

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 onetuskerplease

onetuskerplease

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 04:14 PM

I know from the red marks section that baking soda mixed with a little water help vanish the red marks on your face. Will this stuff also help STOP or treat the pimples you have now. Or will it JUST do the red marks. Also, if anyone knows, how exactly do you go on with this procces. How much water do you add, do you apply it with your hands ect..
thanks

#2 chikin

chikin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:18 PM

As far as I know, its baking soda you want to be using NOT baking powder. (just wanna be clear on that cause baking POWDER is apparently not good for your skin smile.gif)

You want sodium bicarbonate. Theres a thread about it in the red marks treatment subforum.

All I do it pour about a tablespoon worth of bicarb into my palm, put my other hand under running water, then drip some water into the bicarb and mix it around to form a pastey like solution.

Rub all over face using as a gentle exfoliant and rinse. Now the PH of your skin is going to be basic though so the word was to rinse with a solution of apple cider vinegar water mix to counter the base with an acid. Let it dry then wash off after a few mins.

Theres also an egg white/lemon face mask which I also found to be very nice for helping my skin to stop drying out and stay nice and smooth.

#3 onetuskerplease

onetuskerplease

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(chikin @ Dec 1 2004, 09:18 PM)
As far as I know, its baking soda you want to be using NOT baking powder. (just wanna be clear on that cause baking POWDER is apparently not good for your skin smile.gif)

You want sodium bicarbonate. Theres a thread about it in the red marks treatment subforum.

All I do it pour about a tablespoon worth of bicarb into my palm, put my other hand under running water, then drip some water into the bicarb and mix it around to form a pastey like solution.

Rub all over face using as a gentle exfoliant and rinse. Now the PH of your skin is going to be basic though so the word was to rinse with a solution of apple cider vinegar water mix to counter the base with an acid. Let it dry then wash off after a few mins.

Theres also an egg white/lemon face mask which I also found to be very nice for helping my skin to stop drying out and stay nice and smooth.

View Post

wait a second here... you wash off with vinegar or you apply that after? Also my question was does this treatment prevent acne or just vanishes the red marks? and is it ok to just do the baking soda or do i also have to do the vinager in order for it to work? Thanks

#4 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:36 AM

i would say that for some people this would help to prevent acne. if you are on the regimen you should wait to be 100% clear before you start adding new steps like these, however. then you can start adding things one step at a time so if you break out, you know why.

#5 deejoanna

deejoanna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:40 AM

What I do is mix peroxide with baking soda until its a paste then apply on my zits and blackheads. It totally disinfects and bleaches your skin like Micheal Jackson. I think its kinda like BP so I just apply bp now and my skin is getting better and better. BUt you should definitely try the peroxide/baking soda on ur nose if you got blackheads. It stings like a bitch and then dries and then your blackheads are almost totally gone!!

#6 onetuskerplease

onetuskerplease

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(deejoanna @ Dec 2 2004, 11:40 AM)
What I do is mix peroxide with baking soda until its a paste then apply on my zits and blackheads. It totally disinfects and bleaches your skin like Micheal Jackson. I think its kinda like BP so I just apply bp now and my skin is getting better and better. BUt you should definitely try the peroxide/baking soda on ur nose if you got blackheads. It stings like a bitch and then dries and then your blackheads are almost totally gone!!

View Post

I never heard of someone putting both bp and baking soada on blackheads. Maybe thats why you look like MJ. I wonder if it makes you sing like him too? lol jk. Anyways I think i should just try the baking soda, followed by a rinse with water, followed by bp. Isn't that what most people do?

#7 deejoanna

deejoanna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:36 PM

LOL no you silly I dont look like Micheal Jackson.

The peroxide (not BP) mixed with the baking soda is a grandmothers trick. It does actually work like bp. Thats what I meant. You should try it its fun! And how the hell are you going to apply baking soda on your face? Its a powder. You have to mix it with something. Try peroxide. Just once, on your nose if you got blackheads and update me on that ok. You have to wait till its dry though, and it does sting a bit.

#8 onetuskerplease

onetuskerplease

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(deejoanna @ Dec 3 2004, 02:36 PM)
LOL no you silly I dont look like Micheal Jackson.

The peroxide (not BP) mixed with the baking soda is a grandmothers trick. It does actually work like bp. Thats what I meant. You should try it its fun! And how the hell are you going to apply baking soda on your face? Its a powder. You have to mix it with something. Try peroxide. Just once, on your nose if you got blackheads and update me on that ok. You have to wait till its dry though, and it does sting a bit.

View Post

I know you don't look like Michea Jackson I was just joking. What is peroxide? I never hear of just peroxide. Yes I have blackheads, so to get rid of them, I am using baking soda because aparently they get them clear within the first week of use. I mix the bs with water, like some of the other threads on this wb said to. Thanks for the reply!

#9 Joel

Joel

coke zero = win

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:21 PM

peroxide = hydrogen peroxide?

#10 deejoanna

deejoanna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:17 AM

Ya you can buy that in pharmacy for like 1$ a bottle. It is meant to disinfect scratches and cuts. I know nobody will try it cause they think I wanna kill them or something. And its also the best thing to clean your teeth with.

#11 tonilea

tonilea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

YEP! My mom uses hydrogen peroxide for everything, and it works well for me, too. Only I never put it on an open zit on my face because it has scarred me. Seems like it heals so fast on top, then the scab will peel off too quick and leave a hole! But it does seem to work well for me like you use it, too! I use it like a toner sometimes, too. It sort of bubbles away the greasyness. It can and does bleach stuff out though! I use it to remove blood from things...white things only! It works.

#12 Joel

Joel

coke zero = win

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:29 AM

It's been said on this forum somewhere that using hydrogen peroxide over a long period of time is bad for your skin... that's why people use benzoyl peroxide instead (not sure how benzoyl peroxide is safer, don't ask smile.gif)

#13 Exodus78

Exodus78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:48 PM

Hydrogen Peroxide works fairly well too.

#14 darkly

darkly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (deejoanna @ Dec 3 2004, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats because your bleaching the blacheads dirt (origionally black) to white..not actually fixing the problem.

Regardless of that,

i read somewhere about this and how uber effective it is on cysts/pimples/whiteheads. So am i suppose to add equal parts water to "bicarbonate of soda"? can u use that or does it have to be baking soda? its no problem i can just pop down to the shops, but i dont want to be using a product that worsens the acne. Um..also do i wash it off afterwards? or is it more of a benzol peroxide/tea tree oil effect; you leave it on?

#15 _Sonnie

_Sonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi all, newbie here. I see this is an old thread, but am posting this for anyone who may find this via a search (that's how I found it).

I've been using a mild scrub made from 1/2 cup baking soda and approximately 1/4 cup lemon juice. I have also used plain, filtered water. Not sure of the exact amount on the lemon juice, the idea is to make a smoothe paste. If the paste is lumpy and hard to use then it's too thick. You can make a smaller amount, I just like this amount so I can scrub my chest and back in the shower.

Do not use this if you've been using other scrubs or strong topical medications - if you do it WILL sting and burn and be very irritating.

This can be used (gently) as a scrub or spot treatment. I've used it with no skin irritation (and the skin on my face gets irritated easily), except for one time I used it after using a pore strip on my chin - my chin was irritated for a few hours after that, so definitely use it on a day when you're not using something else. Rinse completely with tepid water (or cold water if you want to close your pores). I do not use a separate toner and just moisturize with a moisturizer with a soy complex and SPF for daytime.

I've had grade 2 acne (I am 30 yrs. old) for about 16 years, mainly due to hormones, and it got worse as I got older. This has helped A LOT.

Baking soda and bicarbonate of soda are the same thing, btw.

**Edit - this is good for people who are allergic to benzoyl peroxide. If you're like me, you've probably tried everything - OTC or prescription. I never would have thought something as simple and inexpensive as baking soda would be so effective.

Edited by _Sonnie, 20 July 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#16 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Moved to over the counter acne medications.

#17 mulzachan

mulzachan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

in my experience, baking soda was one of the most effective treatments. i did two pastes per day, one in the morning and one at night, and moisturized after both. i would have a spot here and there but for the most part i was clear. it seemed a cheap and solid way to get the job done, although i wouldn't say its the most consistent.

#18 cheerfulgal

cheerfulgal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

is sodium hydrogen carbonate same as sodium bicarbonate?

#19 _Sonnie

_Sonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (cheerfulgal @ Jul 21 2010, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is sodium hydrogen carbonate same as sodium bicarbonate?

Yes, although I wouldn't know that if it weren't for google. tongue.gif

#20 jimmar

jimmar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

Hey i have a question about using baking soda for pimples?

hmm. first of all are you sure it really works?
and second how to use it?? please answer me thanks.. surprised.gif