Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackbirdbeatle

What Ben is trying to tell you...

91 posts in this topic

I personally don't think it is a big issue.  I know of the obvious effects of chlorine including problems it can cause with the good bacteria but I don't think it is worth worrying about.  Have you ever thought how much chlorine is getting in to your body just from the steam you inhale from your shower?

i thought about just letting this thread die, since it's not really getting us anywhere but i just have to say to dr4ma:

ben is just trying to portray another side...because if he (and me, and bbb, and a few others) weren't here, it would be a completely one-sided forum. there needs to be a balance, imo.

i think you guys need to stop attacking ben. we all know you don't agree with him or the rest of us skeptics...just don't respond if you don't agree. put us on ignore or something, ok?

denise, by the way, i think you have a lot of important information...just because i don't agree with you in some threads (about flushing mostly), doesn't mean i never agree with you...so i'm sorry if that's how it came off.

"Denise - do yourself a favor as i have....forget about BenKweller. In fact, just ignore what he says. He brings nothing to the table...literally....unless you call doubt something to sink your teeth into."

Ok, Stalin. I'm sorry that I bring the burden of doubt to you. Do you often get confused and give up when someone asks you how the world was created?

For those in support of BenKweller (i.e. Agentcooper, HUMMMtoomanyM'sElectricHUMMMnotenoughM'sMMM,etc), i challenge you to display anything that he's posted or written thats truly informative. He's said he's a man of research....yet complains about longer than average posts like they are book reports. Oh and what has he written here to show for his research to provide for the acne boards community? One or two line posts, a paragraph at most if he has to stretch himself."

The burden of proof rests not on the skeptic but on the one making new claims; if you don't believe this, you are beyond idiotic and borderline flatlining.

"After researching his post history ( I went at least 150+ posts back and read them all they were so short), I came to realize the following about BenKweller:

- 65% of his posts are in diet/holistic health forum, with 4 or more posts daily avg."

You had to "research" for that? Feel free to click my name and it'll say that. If you call this research, then I don't see how you blame me for not doing research...

"- He doesn't believe in diet affecting acne, yet 90%+ of his posts are on diet-related threads."

Oh my god! I bring the phrase "Prove it" into people who think eating peanuts will worsen the acne of any human being. This isn't a cult forum -- alternate opinions are encouraged by those who don't fear them.

"- Just about all of his posts involve refuting either the original poster or their constituents, with some degree of flame laced in (either to incite a response or boost ego by downplaying other's intellects)"

See above; if a poster says something idiotic and claims to know something that they don't, I call them on it. Seems fair to me.

- He's a self-claimed skeptic.

And I'm claiming that you're redundant. Again, if you needed to "research" to find this out, then you probably have trouble reading Dr. Seuss.

"- He doesn't cite sources, link references, etc to his claims or when he refutes other's claims. (a lot of his posts are written in a self-evident manner, yet skepticism frowns on such)"

Actually, anyone claiming to be a skeptic in the "old-school Greek" style will tell you skeptics take many things to be self evident as the burden of proof, again, rests not on them but on those providing "new" ideas. Read some Pyrrho before making claims about the philosophy of Skepticism.

"So Denise do yourself a favor as i have and just ignore BenKweller, or just !Report his posts with the flame remarks to the mods. Until he provides posts with substance, its wasted energy to take heed to his two-liners."

I won't even touch the hypocrisy of this statement...

"Oh - as for Agentcooper trying to equate you to BenKweller as far as condescending goes ...puhaha. A simple query of his old posts will easily show anyone he doesn't get attacked.....he's the attacker and if anyone tries to defend themselves, he bites back with the you-have-the-IQ-of-an-amoeba-type inflammatory posts."

A simple query seems to be all you're capable of doing. I don't have a problem with you (I actually don't even remember ever talking to you) but posts like this where you try to seem intelligent by bashing me are the reason that I have every right to call people on idiotic comments they make. "you-have-the-IQ-of-an-amoeba-type inflammatory posts?" Some people who post here do; your ability to use big words, though, doesn't place your conversation skill beyond this.

Have a nice day,

As far as "new" ideas having the burden of proof, scientific theory is newer than many of the holistic claims that you have problems with enough to assert your intellectual patronizing of others. You briefly mentioned the creation of world - an example of where your skepticism contradicts the way you describe where the burden of proof should lie and where you seem to focus your doubts instead. Unless of course you're actually more religious than I assume....nah, even i doubt that.

Anyways, I certainly don't ever feel the need to tell someone they're an idiot or braindead directly like you so often do. It seemed apparent Denise was getting worked up over your lack of tact in response to her and others. Ignoring those types of post you make is quite honestly better than stressing out over it and hoping you might change with repeated post requests to act otherwise. Obviously you're not going to change over her, or me, or anyone else. There is the !Report option though, and flaming isn't really something boards should tolerate, especially when unprovoked.

Oh btw - If you can't take criticism without comparing me to oppressive dictators responsible for the death of millions of their own countrymen, so be it. It just makes you look more stuck up. And my goal wasn't to try and seem more intelligent than i really am by "bashing" you - I don't claim to be an intellectual know it all nor want to portray myself as one, sir.

I suppose if i wanted to really research you more, i'd have to care about who you really are, sir. However, its not relevant to the scope of these message boards. For the sake of these internet forums, querying your posts using the search engine and going over what you've said seems ample enough research to draw my own conclusions about yourself, sir. But since that isn't good enough for you, indulge me - how else , without being invasive to your privacy?

Good day to you, sir.

i think you guys need to stop attacking ben.  we all know you don't agree with him or the rest of us skeptics...just don't respond if you don't agree.  put us on ignore or something, ok?

Well, I am not out yet whether everything Ben says about the NO connection between diet and acne is right or not, but I am sure that even if there is, is takes a gazillion fucking years to finally see some results! And by results, I'm not only talking about one reduced or faded zit as a result of a starving food pattern but I actually mean starting clearing up completely.I'm so fuckin frustrated right now, sorry but ugh, what the hell is going on!!!!!! I'm really this close to giving up!

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature."

Dear oh dear. This is starting to read like the script of Dawson's Creek with all the big words.

Ben is only getting to everyone due to the placebo/nocebo effect. Certain people say Ben is annoying and we all convince ourselves of that fact. biggrin.gif

Exactly, if your going to use fancy english at least us it towards the damn purpose of the thread, which is what I originally posted. The threads that seems to veer off into a good direction always seem to get raped in the end of all their dignity by people fighting all the fucking time.

For god sakes, if your going to post another attack or whatever the hell you call it just stop and take it in your own thread.

Contribute to the topic or let it die(We need more violent smilies like the mexican one that stabs). mad.gif

Ben is only getting to everyone due to the placebo/nocebo effect. Certain people say Ben is annoying and we all convince ourselves of that fact.

THAT'S SO FUNNY!!! BWAA HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....SNORT....SNICKLE.....HEHEHEHEHEEEEEE HAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA biggrin.gif

Exactly, if your going to use fancy english at least us it towards the damn purpose of the thread, which is what I originally posted. The threads that seems to veer off into a good direction always seem to get raped in the end of all their dignity by people fighting all the fucking time.

Everyone,

This argument seems to have been doing the rounds for months now, and people still haven't cooled off. I'm going to close this thread if the arguments continue - I don't see anyone contributing anything value towards 'diet and holistic health' here so it has no place being open in this forum, where it is merely attracting aggressive arguments.

If anyone wants to get the thread back on track, please do, but if any more argumentative comments are posted in here in the next couple of hours, I'm closing it.

Feel free to continue your arguments via PM or in the Lounge.

Thankyou.

Rossignol.

I got the CD in yesterday and I have listened to it today. Very interesting. It's so soothing and calm eusa_boohoo.gif , not usually the kind of music I listen to user posted image. I will try and update this as well as I will post updates on http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=gladiator85 and http://www.clearskin.net/viewtopic.php?t=5828 .

"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."

- Abraham Lincoln

"As far as "new" ideas having the burden of proof, scientific theory is newer than many of the holistic claims that you have problems with enough to assert your intellectual patronizing of others."

Scientific theory is scientific -- skepticism centers on claims that can't be substantiated ("drink olive oil, take a dump and you'll clear yourself within 10 years).

"However if you have an opposing viewpoint, resorting to a "prove it" basis of argument and then throwing in a flame along with doesn't substantiate a countervailing position."

Yes... a "prove it" basis of argument is pretty harsh. I'll just pretend every claim here is totally valid despite being false.

But back to the topic of the thread...

What exactly does the CD have on it? Just nature noise or some kind of pep talk or what? Seems interesting though I usually think you really need to have a positive attitude to believe that the tape you're listening to can help fix you up

Ben: there are free Mp3's on the site. Anyway it's different from subliminal but similar. I can't really describe it. Basically you have no control over what it does becuase you can't block things going into your subconscious.

I think you have to have an open mind when it comes to it which will probably help. I still have to read up on it some to fully understand it. It's kinda scary when you think eusa_think.gif about it, I'm getting brainwashed

"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."

- Abraham Lincoln