Photo

Cost of Accutane?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Filipino

Filipino

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:02 PM

umm.. i'm sorry if this question gets asked a lot, but how much would it cost in the US? I'm most likely [and finally] seeing a derm and i know i might not get prescribed right away (most likely wont) and i would like to know the cost of Accutane in case it has to come to that? I live in the US if i haven't mentioned...

thanks in advance........

#2 ltplcap

ltplcap

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 04:49 AM

if you have good insurance than you will barely pay anything, but i know for most health care is a issue, so if you don't have any, the price would range from 60-120 for a 30day supply @20mg dosage on brand roaccutane

#3 Arpazia

Arpazia

Arpazia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:56 AM

My insurance company sucks and that is part of the reason I stopped taking Accutane. I have a $500 deductible, which was easily met but even so, I have to pay full price at the counter and wait four to six weeks for a reimbursement check. While certain generic brands are cheaper than others, Accutane costs anywhere from $200 to $500 a month. eusa_wall.gif

#4 MsDominatus

MsDominatus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:34 AM

I just picked up my prescription yesterday... and for the generic version called Claravis it was 568 dollars for 60 40mg pills. Im on 80 mgs a day so thats a one month supply - and close to 600 bucks. I paid 3 for them - thats my copay right now. Thank GOD for insurance
"We find love not by finding the perfect person, but finding the imperfect person, perfectly."

Beauty is much more than skin deep.

#5 ltplcap

ltplcap

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:41 AM

i hope when you stated "3" you meant 300 and not 3 dollars, if it was 3 dollars, who are you insured by and what are the prems.

#6 Guest_OnlyJoe_*

Guest_OnlyJoe_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:24 PM

Thank you NHS! biggrin.gif it makes all those free pescriptions that much better

#7 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(ltplcap @ Dec 1 2004, 12:41 PM)
i hope when you stated "3" you meant 300 and not 3 dollars, if it was 3 dollars, who are you insured by and what are the prems.

View Post

She probably meant $3. The copay for covered medications for many good insurance plans is under $10 for a generic (regardless of the cost of the original medication). My copay is $10/med/month, $5 for a generic, $3 if I'm willing to drive to the south campus medical facility to fill prescriptions (I'm not), or $10+the difference if getting the name brand if a generic's available. My mother's copay is $15/med/3_month_supply. This assumes that the medication is covered though. Many are starting to drop acne meds from being covered ;-(

Unfortunately, they either just dropped Tazorac from being covered or the plans aren't actually comparable, and I would have to pay $97 to refill my tazorac at Walgreens (or $50ish online).

The premiums for us aren't high...our employer foots most of the bill, so I'm not much help to you. (Empire is the New York State employee plan).
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#8 Thekingofsting87

Thekingofsting87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:41 PM

I pay $10 per month (im on 80 mg) I guess you could say its good insurance then smile.gif .

#9 berry

berry

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 04:37 PM

Anybody know how much Amnesteem cost at 60mg for 30 days? I have to pick it up tomorrow without insurance....thanks, berry

#10 MsDominatus

MsDominatus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(ltplcap @ Dec 1 2004, 12:41 PM)

View Post

Nope I mean 3 dollars. Not 300. My new insurance started on the 1st of December so I will start having to pay 25 bucks for the 'script but for a few months I was on a state subsidized program called Minnesota Care and basically my premium was based on how much I make and my # of dependants. I have one dependant - so I paid 107 a month for health insurance. 3 dollar 'script copays and no copay at visits. It was great, but I don't need it anymore, and would rather not take advantage of the system when someone else probably needs it more. But even so 25 bucks a month for something that costs close to 600 is amazing.

"We find love not by finding the perfect person, but finding the imperfect person, perfectly."

Beauty is much more than skin deep.

#11 Johnjoz

Johnjoz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

0$ over here
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#12 chelseabmc

chelseabmc

welcome to the border may I take your order

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

does medical card cover accutane?
Think clear

#13 NoLimiT

NoLimiT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:23 PM

Are you guys sure Accutane costs $200-600? Honestly I find that ridiculous to pay almost close to a $1000. As far as I know Accutane costs over $100 w/o insurance. Or maybe that's for the 20mg generic version. YIKES! Thank god I only have to pay half. I think my insurance covers 50% of the price.

Uhm.....so like do most insurances cover generic versions of Accutane? I hear that some insurances does not cover Accutane but the generic versions. I hope my insurances covers the generic versions or I'm screwed and will have to pay over $100 for it!
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

My Accutane Journal......PLEASE VISIT!! *(^_^)*

#14 ltplcap

ltplcap

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 22
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:50 PM

whatever the case with insurance maybe, overseas pharmacies are selling generic versions of the 20mg for under 2 a pill, so it should be affordable by most or all

#15 wza

wza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 22
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

my insurance company is good about accutane... its $20 copay for a months supply of brand name isotretinoin, $10 for a months of generic

if you arent wealthy I'd suggest getting a good health insurance company before going on tane
My B5 / Accutane Picture Journal
http://www.acne.org/...album&album=392

#16 wza

wza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

also I would not recommend buying from overseas suppliers with a drug this serious, especially if you are thinking of doing so without being under the supervision of a dermatologist or doctor. they have to do the blood test to see if your triglyceride level is alarmingly high because of tane.

if you take tane without having your bloodwork monitored you're taking unnecessary risks
My B5 / Accutane Picture Journal
http://www.acne.org/...album&album=392

#17 Guest_Craigems_*

Guest_Craigems_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

I pay for 60tablets at 20mg, full price with no insurance for $20US ... but i'm in Australia lol.

#18 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(berry @ Dec 1 2004, 05:37 PM)
Anybody know how much Amnesteem cost at 60mg for 30 days? I have to pick it up tomorrow without insurance....thanks, berry

View Post

I heard some people can get it for free from the company, like if they are a college student. Ask your MD if you qualify.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#19 jamesbooker

jamesbooker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:52 PM

95 bucks for ever 30 x 20mg
The place where i bought my courses of accutane
www.pillsforall.com
damn insurance , why you do not cover accutane!!!

#20 asdrubalex

asdrubalex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE(Arpazia @ Dec 1 2004, 03:56 PM)
My insurance company sucks and that is part of the reason I stopped taking Accutane.  I have a $500 deductible, which was easily met but even so, I have to pay full price at the counter and wait four to six weeks for a reimbursement check.  While certain generic brands are cheaper than others, Accutane costs anywhere from $200 to $500 a month. eusa_wall.gif

View Post

Wow.. expensieve!

In Italy a 30 months supply for me (being on 30 mg a day) was about 70 Euros. (40 Euros 20 mg pack, and 20 Euros for the 10 mg pack.)
http://www.acne.org/...album&album=485

"Unlike the god that is believed in, humans aren't forgiving enough to love their enemies"- Satella Harvenheit