Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cloudydreamer

Estrogen dominance and severe acne

8 posts in this topic

After two disasters with drugs that raised my estrogen levels and gave me the worst acne I've had in my adult life, I've come to the conclusion that it's highly likely I'm estrogen dominant. I also have other symptoms, like signs of hypothyroid, regular but painful and heavy periods with clotting, brittle hair, severe sleeplessness with PMS, fibrocystic breasts, worsened chin acne with coffee [which boosts estrogen], etc. 

So, to those of you who are estrogen dominant: how do you cope and what kind of treatment plan are you on? Did bioidentical progesterone cream help your acne or did it make you worse? How about DIM? 

(For those of you who aren't 100% sure they're ED but believe they could be and want to seek support, feel free to post as well.)

Hi Cloudy...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention the other day--btw! I bought some Emerita P-cream and DIM the other day (I had to turn right around and order on the internet--I realized all the DIM available in stores near me has SOY in it. Pfft!) I tried taking the DIM (with soy)...two the first night and then two more the next morning (followed directions) and for the following 24-hours I was plagued with hot flashes! Not sure if it was due to the sudden crash of estrogen from taking it--or the soy? 
So now my period is late (due today)...I am not even sure if I even actually ovulated this cycle if I did, I'm pretty sure it was late a few days too. (I haven't skipped any periods...yet) Either way, I'm going to start the cream this cycle and cross my fingers. (I'm testing my hormones this cycle as well.) I've also heard that Chasteberry (Vitex) was good--so I picked up some of that and started taking it. 

Have you used the cream? I would appreciate any shared experiences with this stuff...

On 2/1/2017 at 2:59 PM, TheBean said:

Hi Cloudy...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention the other day--btw! I bought some Emerita P-cream and DIM the other day (I had to turn right around and order on the internet--I realized all the DIM available in stores near me has SOY in it. Pfft!) I tried taking the DIM (with soy)...two the first night and then two more the next morning (followed directions) and for the following 24-hours I was plagued with hot flashes! Not sure if it was due to the sudden crash of estrogen from taking it--or the soy? 
So now my period is late (due today)...I am not even sure if I even actually ovulated this cycle if I did, I'm pretty sure it was late a few days too. (I haven't skipped any periods...yet) Either way, I'm going to start the cream this cycle and cross my fingers. (I'm testing my hormones this cycle as well.) I've also heard that Chasteberry (Vitex) was good--so I picked up some of that and started taking it. 

Have you used the cream? I would appreciate any shared experiences with this stuff...

I have never tried the bioidentical cream but I've heard mixed reviews about it. Some people say it helps, others say it makes them a lot worse. It's super frustrating to not know how we'll individually react to these kinds of treatments. :( Same with BC...like how it basically destroyed my face but so many people get super clear on it lol. It's almost laughable. I had a pizza made entirely with soy the other night instead of dairy and got a really nasty pimple on my chin overnight, so I wonder if I'm sensitive to soy as well. 
1 person likes this

It's possible.
As it turns out--we are being bombarded by these phytoestrogens and/or xenoestrogens in our environment and foods. There's really no need to go searching for more estrogen. We're already on overload, in general. It's messing us up. That's why all the hype lately about plastics and parabens...but they are only the tip of the iceberg. Just because your plastics say "BPA free" doesn't make them safe--they contain other compounds that are equal offenders. 
Everyone is different...and I've also heard recently that the amount of xenoestrogens you are absorbing daily can effect how well you do on the cream...
I started Monday night...the last couple nights I've slept really well. My stomach is flatter this morning. Other than that, I feel pretty good...
I think the worst part is that I will need to cut out the coffee for a bit. I'm whining about that one. 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, TheBean said:

It's possible.
As it turns out--we are being bombarded by these phytoestrogens and/or xenoestrogens in our environment and foods. There's really no need to go searching for more estrogen. We're already on overload, in general. It's messing us up. That's why all the hype lately about plastics and parabens...but they are only the tip of the iceberg. Just because your plastics say "BPA free" doesn't make them safe--they contain other compounds that are equal offenders. 
Everyone is different...and I've also heard recently that the amount of xenoestrogens you are absorbing daily can effect how well you do on the cream...
I started Monday night...the last couple nights I've slept really well. My stomach is flatter this morning. Other than that, I feel pretty good...
I think the worst part is that I will need to cut out the coffee for a bit. I'm whining about that one. 

Coffee gave me terrible chin acne, too - I think there really is a connection between coffee and estrogen overload. I'm taking 200 iu of vitamin E every day and 600 mg of Magnesium at night in order to try and ovulate regularly...I may try inositol too, which I think I mentioned here before. I just want to find a good naturopath before using inositol since it seems a bit stronger than other supplements. Messing with hormones can have negative consequences, as I found with zinc (which I think worsened the excess androgens in my system...it can increase testosterone!).  

How's your skin looking this week in general? I'm glad you're sleeping well, that's great! ;D I've been sleeping a lot better since I began the Magnesium at night 12 days ago, as well as 450 mg of Licorice before bed time. My theory is that it's helping regulate my cortisol/DHEA-S ratio, therefore I'm able to sleep soundly. Low cortisol/high DHEA-S makes it next to impossible to actually stay asleep [even if you fall asleep fine], and high DHEA-S left unchecked by normal cortisol production leads to bad acne, oily skin, hair growth etc. But apparently, you need to take a break here and there when using Licorice to prevent elevated BP. Everyone with suspected hormonal acne should definitely have their adrenals checked. :smileys_n_people_3: 

Another thing I've noticed since beginning the Licorice is how much more quickly my hormonal acne is resolving around my mouth [yay]. The worst of it is currently on the left side, which is funny because I've been getting mild cramps in my lower left abdomen the last few days...although I think most of my issues are adrenal-based, it's possible I have ovarian cysts too [maybe regular PCOS...who knows]. I'm seeing a gyno soon to get it checked out.  Edited by cloudydreamer

Yes...Coffee...there have been a couple of haphazard, not entirely scientific studies--but everyone seems to agree that coffee raises your cortisol levels--which contributes to free testosterone and estrogen dominance. So, it's pretty safe to say that dramatically cutting down would help. Boo-hissssss.
Inositol...I just read that posting again 30 seconds ago. It sounds like it's worth a try to me too...I'm going to be doing a little more research on the subject...
I've been taking magnesium at night--I take a good multi, so I've added about 120 mg at night. See how that goes. 
DARN IT! I don't do it every day--once in a while. But I have a cold right now, so I popped a Zinc this morning. Everyone says to take it for acne...but I could swear it was making it worse! Now THAT explains it! Thank you! No more extra zinc for me (the multi is enough). 
I was told by a doctor on a visit that ovarian cysts are extremely common once a woman is over 40...PCOS or not.

My face right now...I had a few tiny clogs come and go this week--but I think that was because I attempted to apply my makeup with a foundation brush (again). I don't know why everyone thinks this is the greatest thing to do since slicing bread--it always seems to backfire on me. Anyway, those few came and went in a day or so and no one really knew they were there but me...I'm fine with that. It happens.
BUT-- I have just ONE cystic blemish that started coming up at the usually scheduled time (Sunday to Monday). That's always when it happens.  It's near the top of my laugh line--so smack in the middle of my face. (Yay!) It's been just hanging out and chilling on the center of my face all week. At least since starting the NPC and upping the DIM it stopped hurting and growing--I was worried I was going to end up with two noses. It's been sloooowwly shrinking since...hopefully by the weekend it won't be so noticeable.

UPDATE: I thought this was relevant...regarding that cystic nodule I was talking about above. 
Shortly after posting that,  the spot (actually all/any of them) began shrinking rather quickly. Like a party balloon that had sprung a leak.
By the time I got home yesterday it was 1/4 its original size and hardly noticeable.
This morning,  it's gone...all but the slightly dry spot of skin. 
Only since starting the DIM (2 weeks ago) and other recent measures to target my hormones has my acne behaved this way. This is the second time this has happened now. I'm kind of amazed... 

Hi there, I am a 21 year old girl and I've been struggling with harsh PMS breakouts for the last two years. I have regular periods-to the exact day- but I always experience a cystic chin breakout (only on my chin) about a week before my period starts. After my period ends, I normally get about two weeks of being clear before the cycle starts again.

Here is what Ive been taking that has helped a lot but hasn't cured my acne completely:
-vitex (2X per day in AM)
-evening primrose oil (3 x per day, morning, afternoon, night)
-burdock root (3x per day, 2 pills each, morning, afternoon, night)
-milk thistle (6 pills daily, 3x per day)
-vit. D3 (whenever I can)

here's my face routine:
-make up remove with coconut oil (also use as face moisture)
-wash using African Black Soap

I also follow an extremely clean diet: little grains (bread rice, etc.), no dairy, no coffee (only teas), no oils, no junk food
and I work out pretty much daily (bike, run, and hot yoga)

is there anything you guys can recommend to cure or greatly reduce PMS breakouts? thanks!!