Photo

Help! Confused about what to eat..

folic acid niacin green tea zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 darlingclementine

darlingclementine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:25 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and although past posts have been soooo much help, I still have a few questions.

I'm 17, and I used to have moderate, non-cystic acne. I've been using differin and benzaclin, while also taking Niacin, a pill that consists of zinc, folic acid, etc. It's cleared me up, kind of, I have a lot of blackheads now (from differin? I've been on for around 3 weeks), and my chin, where I had my worst acne, is still bad.

So, because I want to keep acne at bay, I've decided to try changing my diet. I've always ate a high-carb, high-fat, high-sugar diet, so, it's tough for me. But I want to eliminate foods that are high on the GI, and eat mostly raw food meals. What foods do you guys rely on? I've started drinking 3 liters of water a day, including a pot of green tea. Can I eat bread, like a slice of stone-ground whole wheat bread? What fruits? What about flaxseed- like, whats the difference between unhulled flaxseed, and just the normal kind? What about brewers yeast, nutritional yeast? I don't want to go crazy about diet, but I realize eating well has benefits beside that of good skin.

Thanks everyone.

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:40 PM

For almost everyone, diet doesn't make a difference. The only diet thing that ever helped me (and others) is to drink a lot of water; besides that, don't worry about it.

#3 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:21 PM

Please ignore Ben Kweller. He had a total of 2 zits his whole life and "cured" it through increasing water intake.

#4 darlingclementine

darlingclementine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:16 PM

lol I love being the cynic, so I can't say I don't disagree with BenKweller. I think eating healthier would just be better for me, and maybe it might help my skin. But, what foods do you guys eat? Like with breads, which are best?

#5 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:34 PM

Whole wheat bread rocks. Drink more water, eat whole wheat foods, and eat less sugar. That's the best way to get healthier from a sugar-heavy diet.

"Please ignore Ben Kweller. He had a total of 2 zits his whole life and "cured" it through increasing water intake."

Denise-- how many times will you use it against me that my acne wasn't as severe as yours? Don't be bitchy.

#6 blondey27

blondey27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:25 PM

Hello! I just want to let you know that you should go to an allergist to get checked in case you have a food allergy. It may be as simple as that. Some people are allergic to wheat...white bread is a derivative of wheat without the fiber...so eating whole wheat while healthy may not solve your problem. If you or your parents have insurance..all you have to pay is a copay. An endicrinologist may help as well in regulating hormonal levels. The last piece of advice is checkout skintactix.com they have great products that have cleared my sever acne at 90%. It is hereditary but their stuff really works. It regulates the ph of the skin, which is the natural healing state. The products ROCK. Hope this helps! Hugs, CJ

#7 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:52 AM

Blondey is right. Different people may be allergic to different things. For some people it's gluten, for some it's dairy, for some it's sugar. You should either go to an allergist, or keep a food dairy and see what seems to break you out.

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

Yup, but just keep in mind that even when you are deemed not allergic or intolerant to certain foods that they can still cause you problems. However if you can afford to do so, get an allergy test, but more specifically get a food intolerance test. Also, if you are concerned about this possibly being chronic acne (into your 30s or 60s even) then seeing an Endocrinologist can help you figure out if you have an hormonal imbalance, and if so what hormonal/health problem lead to it.

Say, is that pill you are taking called Nicomide? If so how quickly did it clear your skin? I'd say for the blackheads you may want to look into eliminating your Trans Fats (hydrogenated oil, partially hydrogenated oil) and possibly reduce some of your saturated & fried fat. In terms of added sugar most people find that while they may be sensitive to all types, high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup, seems to be the biggest troublemaker for us. Possibly because it can lead to higher incidences of inflammation, as it will raise your LDL cholesterol & Tryglyceride levels, something that your Nicomide or Niacin is trying to regulate.

Also in terms of diet, like I mentioned above, the thing is that "sugar" comes in many forms, some that aren't sweet such as grains and vegetables. Therefore for some of us, we found that eliminationg Gluten, Most Grains, or All Grains was a neccessity, as despite the supplements or medications, as long as our diet was contributing or fueling the problem, those things weren't effective enough. For me, once I eliminated gluten (95% of my problem), and I tested negative for gluten intolerance beforehand, I didn't need the insulin sensitizing medication!

So, definately be cynical, but please learn that the things we do in terms of food eliminaition, usually has a scientific basis for it. For things we can't explain, well that's what a food diary is for...your body will tell you exactly what it does or doesn't like =)

#9 darlingclementine

darlingclementine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

Thanks SweetJade. I agree with you, but I find it strange that even my dermatologist will tell me that diet has nothing to do with acne. Anyway, I'd be glad to eliminate certain foods from my diet, but with what would I replace them with? For intance, I usually have bread all three meals of the day, how do I replace that? What can I eat for breakfast? I've looked at various listings of the glycemic index, and some say that foods, like lets say basmati rice, and sweet potatoe are high, while others, say they are low. Can someone just tell me which foods should be staple to my diet? Thanks for the help everyone..

#10 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:43 AM

sorry, I think its aloada bs. Just drink water. Diet ain't gonna affect you that much. A lot of people find no success..

#11 HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(polkadots @ Nov 28 2004, 07:43 AM)
A lot of people find no success..

View Post

Wow, well that CERTAINLY proves that diet has no relation to acne. Thanks for the info, Einstein.

#12 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:57 AM

polka's right. Diet really isn't a cause -- you guys just hate losing locus of control which is why you all get so pissy when someone intelligent tells you that diet has very little connection with acne.

#13 modest mouse

modest mouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:22 PM

i missed the part when someone intelligent said that

#14 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 28 2004, 05:57 PM)
polka's right. Diet really isn't a cause -- you guys just hate losing locus of control which is why you all get so pissy when someone intelligent tells you that diet has very little connection with acne.

View Post

Oh, give me a break. eusa_doh.gif

Have you tried changing your diet to see for yourself? cuz if you havent then you really shouldn't knock it, it has worked wonders for me and many others (Ryan Valmont, Melbornebloke, sweetjade1980 etc etc) so dont give me that! eusa_naughty.gif eusa_shhh.gif

I have just stopped bread (wheat), dairy but i still have a little for calcium, most importantly sugar!! <----- And i feel great too.

Tom eusa_angel.gif

#15 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I changed my diet a bunch when I was younger. It doesn't have any effect though -- people who claim that cutting out a dumb food cleared them are just great examples of the placebo effect. Melbournebloke is "clear" (if he really is) because he's gone into psychotic-mode where he believes himself to be a forest child even though he goes on the internet on a daily basis.

It's laughable how many people's acne here (especially those who've had it for years) are probably fueling it with the nocebo effect; you guys just want to believe you are "sick" because of the food you eat which makes your body keep thinking something's wrong.

And thanks Modest; your last album blew.

#16 darlingclementine

darlingclementine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:11 PM

lol, I was actually laughing when reading the replies. The reason why I'm interested in changing my diet is because in my family there have been already three cases of adult onset diabetes. I've always been thin, so I believed I could eat anything, such as white bread (4 or more slices a day), a lot of sugar, a lot of bad fats, etc. After my grandma died from all sorts of heart trouble, I've been interested in a low-carb, low-gi diet. I mean, I think there are foods that can improve condition of skin, and foods that can make it look pretty shitty. One week all I did was smoke and drink, and ate some sugary cereal, and it looked sallow, dry, and I broke out. However, I really haven't done any 'real' research, which I know I should do. I actually would hope someone could direct me to literature or articles so I can make a sound decision.

By the way, Modest Mouse's latest CD was good. Just because it was more commercialized and main-stream than its past CDs doesn't mean that they didn't hit gold once more.

#17 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:35 PM

Nope, their latest sucked compared to "Lonesome Crowded West" or any of the others.

Eating sugar has no connection to diabetes -- obesity is the biggest contributor.

#18 MariaS

MariaS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 29 2004, 12:35 AM)
Eating sugar has no connection to diabetes.

View Post

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#19 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(darlingclementine @ Nov 28 2004, 04:11 PM)
lol, I was actually laughing when reading the replies.  The reason why I'm interested in changing my diet is because in my family there have been already three cases of adult onset diabetes.  I've always been thin, so I believed I could eat anything, such as white bread (4 or more slices a day), a lot of sugar, a lot of bad fats, etc.  After my grandma died from all sorts of heart trouble, I've been interested in a low-carb, low-gi diet.  I mean, I think there are foods that can improve condition of skin, and foods that can make it look pretty shitty.  One week all I did was smoke and drink, and ate some sugary cereal, and it looked sallow, dry, and I broke out.  However, I really haven't done any 'real' research, which I know I should do.  I actually would hope someone could direct me to literature or articles so I can make a sound decision.

By the way, Modest Mouse's latest CD was good. Just because it was more commercialized and main-stream than its past CDs doesn't mean that they didn't hit gold once more.

View Post

Ahh, then you are the perfect candidate for a "hormonal balancing diet" In fact because of your family history of Diabetes, and perhaps for the sake of experimentation on the board, you should start out by avoiding Gluten Grains and High Fructose Corn Syrup & Corn Syrup. Now, gluten consists of a group of grains that are problematic in several ways, but they have also been associated with the development of Type II Diabetes.

My father's side of the family has a few with Type II Diabetes or that are borderline, he used to be boarderline himself. I happened to not have Type II Diabetes as it takes several decades before one's Insulin Resistance worsens to the point of becoming Type II Diabetes. I too am thin weighing only 105lbs at 5'5, since I was 12, and thought I could get by with taking Spironolactone (antiandrogen) and Avandia (Insulin Sensitizer & antiandrogenic), as "I didn't need to lose weight", yet altering your diet isn't always just about losing weight (which I didn't lose). Therefore, after 14 years of suffering, changing my diet with respect to my hormonal imbalance, HAIR-AN syndrome, not only got me 99% clear, gave me the smallest pores I've had since before puberty, reduced my dandruff, reduced some unwanted hairs, but it also eliminated my painful crying on the floor menstrual cramps!

Despite some people that like to believe that they think scientifically, they fail to understand how to "think outside the box", let alone "connect" a few simple dots. I've tried extensively to enlighten some individuals on this board, but it's a waste of my energy as they turn around and say the above highly opinionated statements that lack any scientific basis, let alone logic! They will ask myself and others to PROVE our cases and we do so exhaustively with explanations, studies, diagrams.....yet you won't see most of them do the same regarding their claims, or beliefs rather.

Nope, instead they'll turn around and say that "if what we say is true that why doesn't Jane Doe have acne then?" Unfortunately, that just goes to further show how some are incapable of understanding that it's not just one's environment but also one's genes and how these two INTERACT that will determine how & whether a certain health problem will present itself. It's like without the "wrong" diet this person only has a 20% risk, yet when this person follows the "wrong" diet this risk jumps to 80%. Is that a guarantee they'll get that specific symptom or disease, nope but it still increased their risk. Therefore, if you know you are already at risk for a said health problem, WHY would anyone continue to eat a certain way, or a live a lifestyle, that would fuel it?

Anyway, here's some posts that may help you out

Heightened Insulin Sensitivity....
http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=35696

Is this the Silent Contributor of Acne
http://www.acne.org/...topic=26936&hl=

Gluten Intolerance Causing Acne
http://www.acne.org/...topic=33199&hl=

No Bread or Cereal...
http://www.acne.org/...topic=31111&hl= (I believe Ryan has since converted with 100% clear results)

Eating Food Unfit for Human Consumption
http://www.acne.org/...topic=30213&hl=

Reasons Why We Get Acne
http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=33175

A Question on Rice
http://www.acne.org/...topic=30363&hl=

Now most of us have found success by following a Low or Moderate Carbohydrate Diet. In fact moderation truly is the key. Moderate Carbs (40% - 50%), Moderate Protein & Low Fat (15% - 20%). I don't carb count but I did do a comparison of my prior diet and it looks like I reduced my carb consumption by 50% (currently 200g - 300g) even though I still eat a lot of "high glycemic" carbs! Granted your condition may be more severe than mine, so you will have to experiment to see how sensitive you are to certain carbohydrates and added sugars, among other possibly aggrevators (trans fats, dairy). If your dietary changes aren't enough, then you can go visit an Endocrinologist to get prescribed some sort of Insulin Sensitizer or you can take supplements that do the same thing.

As for what to eat instead of Bread, well if you go gluten free initially, you can still eat Gluten-Free Breads! Finding the "right" bread is not as much "fun" as is just avoiding GF breads though IMO, but the best ones I've had were the ones I baked myself or from http://www.ricebread...ndex.php?c=home (sign up for a 4 sample pack). As for other foods, check out what's in the thread below, oh and of course eat more vegetables, fruits, seeds, (nuts), legumes.

Acne Diet Safe Foods List
http://www.acne.org/...topic=30135&hl=

Best wishes eusa_angel.gif

#20 sinashgh

sinashgh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:59 PM

Darling, just listen to Sweet JAde lol!! wink.gif She's the most intelligent... logical... scientific.. and knowledgable user I've ever seen.

Oh yea and fuckin helpful too... look she even gets different links for you to go to...... SweetJade... i'm not a person who sucks up at all but you know what... i'm glad we have people like you on this board to guide those like me and darlingclemente.

@DArling, my own experience, drinkin like 5-7 bottles water per day makes huge difference and cutting out things with lots of sugar like donoughts, pepsi... coke.... cookies and stuff like that bettered my skin however i didn't go crazy aobut this whole bread/rice/dairy stuff because dairy and bread are essential food in my life and i just have nothin to replace them with so i continue eating them at least for breakfast everyday sometime even for snack.