AcneIsRuiningMyLife55

Extremely Severe Body Acne/ Scarring

19 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been lurking these boards and forums for quite some time now in hopes of clearing my horrible body acne with accutane. These sudden and horrible breakouts on my chest happened a couple weeks after I began army basic training in January. Went on minocycline which only seemed to make things worse and I also scrubbed which obviously made things much worse. I have been suffereing from acne since I was about 15 and am currently 20(should have done acutane a long time ago) halfway through my 5th month of Accutane (2 and a half more months) but this is just extremely depressing. I had to push away an extremely beautiful girl that I loved because of this (we wrote letters while I was at training) because I hated myself so much. Anyway apologies for the length of this post. I'm just curious as to some extra things I can do about this besides Accutane, really is severely affecting me emotionally. Am going tattoo over the back since no scars are raised tho :). Warning this is graphic, I have pushed through so many things in  life and came out successful (starvation/ homelessness/ parental drug problems/ abuse) yet this often makes me think of drastic things. Just please give me some skin tips

image.jpgIMG_0037.JPG

image.jpg

1 person likes this

All i can say is to see several derms for different opinions for your scars. Treatment and diet well help you out the most but best of luck man to get you where you want to be...

Accutane is the gold standard for treatment but keep in mind that treatment continues to work after you stop and that for some cases, it may take a second course to get things under control.  Acne is definitely a physical as well as an emotional thing.  Are you able to go and talk to someone where you're stationed.  It will definitely help with the emotional aspect of things.    As for the girl, it's hard sharing that something that most people take for granted (clear skin) bothers you.   Be honest and she may just surprise you.

Stay encouraged

1 person likes this

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

I have talked to a few people about it and honestly after reading many reviews about Accutane and seeing a few before and after pics that were worst than mine I felt greatly encouraged. Sadly because of this crazy chest breakout in the last year I have become so much less outgoing then what I have been in the past. Also 80 Mg of Accutane a day makes PT very difficult, joint pain and skin sensitivity are real from the drug. 

Have you ever figured out what was the cause? Sorry if I ask this but could it be because of tattoos? Because sometimes things can get transmitted. Is accutane helping? 

Actually I think the cause was antibiotics. I had mild-moderate acne in September on my chest then got some doxy for a month. After I went off doxy it started getting progressively worse fast. I've had back acne for a couple years tho it just never bothered me. Chest acne is much more embarrassing. And yes Accutane is helping, my back actually looks much better then what it was when I started. Arm/shoulder acne stopped, chest is still breaking out :'(.

I wish I could help! but that's good that accutane is helping! Hang in there! All I took to clear up my acne was herbal medicine that helped me stay clear. I'm just too afraid to take any antibiotics or accutane because of their side effects!. I do have a post on how I got rid of my BACNE, overall body. So you can check that out. If you are taking accutane then maybe you can use something on the outside to help with acne. Like soap bars. Don't use harsh chemicals on your body like BP or anything. Don't try home remedies either.

It's been a month since I last posted here and I must say that Accutane is a wonder drug, most of these scabs have fallen off but some new ones have emerged. My skin is looking better and better but the side effects of the medicine really do suck. I tried tea tree oil remedy on the hypertrophic scars and really didn't notice much of a difference then I began trying apple cider vinegar on the raised scars and have already began noticing a difference. Two more months on the medicine just have to stay positive and keep moisturizing. Will post pics when I'm all done around New Years. Thank you guys for all of your support and feedback it really meant to and this whole experience turned me from a total meathead  to a very empathetic human being.

A lot of new spots have formed and I have a couple weeks of accutane left, apparently this is also called acne conglobata. More pics will come 1 month after the treatment ends, hopefully I see some magical improvement.

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Hey dude,

I've had acne this bad in the past. I found antibiotics helped but it took a long time to go away. When I stop the antibiotics it comes back again, but thankfully it hasn't returned as bad. I still consider my current situation bad.

Out of interest do you also have facial acne or is it just on the body? Also what about the neck and jaw line?

I notice a lot of scabbing, do you pick also? I'm not sure if what you have is cystic acne, but picking them can make them spread. I'm a sucker for picking and have to cut my nails every other day to ensure I can not pick.

Antibiotics made my acne much worse, the only thing that truly helped was Accutane. I had facial/neck acne but Accutane got rid of it. The scabbing on the shoulders is from treating the keloids, the black scanned pimples are from the dry skin from Accutane. Accutane is the only thing that will help, it sucks but it works. Antibiotics in heavy doses are very bad for your gut and I hope you are balancing it with probiotic supplements (yogurt/sauerkraut). 

Hopefully the Accutane does the trick for you. But I'll bet it's only going to be a temporary solution to get your body back to a normal appearance. And it doesn't address what might be causing the acne. I first got acne when I turned 12 and it gradually progressed until my face, neck, back and chest were covered with it. Not quite to the same degree as yours but still a headache for me. I tried all the creams, washes, antibiotics, Proactiv's, etc but nothing ever worked. 15 years later my acne has finally started to clear up because some of the simplest solutions that should have been recommended by my 1st dermatologist 13 years ago.

What I've changed in past 3 months (and my understanding of certain things #notADoctor)
1) Sleep 7 hours every night and try to make it the same time each night (7 hours is what my body needs so it may vary for you)
2) Cut back on how often I wash my face with a face wash and use a less harsh chemical (currently using Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser 3-4x per week before bed)
3) Cut back on the sugars (candies, soda) and any food that I knew caused my stomach to get upset (like greasy foods, pastas, dairy products etc). I read an article stating that if your body has an intolerance to a certain food (glucose and gluten in my case) then eating it may cause your body to fight it like a virus and then it may be discarded like any other waste (such as through your skin). It may be worth considering what you have in your diet and try to cut certain things out systematically to see if that effects your skin.
4) Stopped shampooing every day. Shampooing strips your hair of its natural oils which aren't necessarily bad. Oils are only bad when your body starts overproducing it. Overproduction of oils is triggered when you begin to use all these chemicals that strip the oil and moisture from your hair and skin. Let your body slowly get back to its natural production and it will be better. I slowly did this process. First by not shampooing in the shower on Tuesday each week for 3 weeks. Then not shampooing on Tuesday and Saturday for the next 3 weeks. And I'm still on that schedule bc I feel it works best for my level of oil production. I still shower 1-2x every day but I just avoid shampooing on those 2 days.
5) Changed my shampoo to a more natural shampoo with fewer chemicals. There are a few chemicals in shampoo that cause an allergic reaction for many people. I bet a lot of times it goes undiagnosed because it may just cause a mild skin irritation. In my instance, switching to a better shampoo was probably the biggest factor in my acne clearing up. Within a month I started to notice my skin clearing up with fewer pimples. Within 3 months, I stopped seeing new pimples form and my old scars began clearing up. I'm now at a point where I don't feel self conscious taking off my shirt. Some old acne is still clearing up but I feel confident if I continue down this path that it will be gone in about 2 months. I'm using "Free & Clear Shampoo". I did a lot of research to figure out which shampoo contained the fewest chemicals known to cause allergic reactions and this is the one that had the best reviews. You have to order online but totally worth it for me.

I know it's a long post but hopefully some of this helps. Some of these things like changing shampoo are probably not posted any where and feel it was worth a strong mention.

Been off Accutane a couple weeks now. Just dealing with scars. Face and neck have cleared up completely. Burning the hypertrophic scarring works but  I just hope they don't grow back. Getting a back facial before I start the back tattoo to moisturizer bad help with scarring a bit. Going to try lemon on strophic scarring on shoulders. Will post pictures another time

On 01/01/2017 at 0:15 AM, AcneIsRuiningMyLife55 said:

Been off Accutane a couple weeks now. Just dealing with scars. Face and neck have cleared up completely. Burning the hypertrophic scarring works but  I just hope they don't grow back. Getting a back facial before I start the back tattoo to moisturizer bad help with scarring a bit. Going to try lemon on strophic scarring on shoulders. Will post pictures another time

My scars are very similar and after being off accutane for over 2 years they have faded a lot and smoothed out but are still very noticeable, I was told that nothing could be done for them when I visited an NHS plastic surgeon but I think in the future I will look into private treatment because surely there is something available that would improve them. How have you been using the apple cider vinegar? My worst ones are on my shoulder blades and I'd love to try to flatten them out a bit more.

I used a cotton swab and burned the tissue till they bled and continuously burned them until they were flat and opened up. Then started applying tea tree oil to dry out the open wound and cortisone cream. It actually works. But I pray they don't grow back bigger. I will post more about it in one month. The biggest one on my shoulder looks like a small knife wound right now.

What's up man.. I went through what you're going through about 5 years ago. Regular acne on my face, and occasional body acne. Then in the Time span of about 2 months my body acne got horrific. I went on Accutane for 5 months. It completely stopped all acne on my face and body and I haven't had acne for years.. I waited and waited hoping my body acne would go away but they all turned to scars.. Really bad scars. I have extreme scarring on my chest and shoulder blades,  it's been 5 years since I've taken my shirt off. I had a Gf from before the acne and we recently broke up after 8 years.. All these depressing feelings are coming back again now that she's gone.. I've kinda gave up on treatment because she accepted me for who I was and didn't care I couldn't take my shirt off.. Although I have no input to treat your acne,  I can show  you what I'm going through.. 

1483433069835192703501.jpg