Photo

Do certain foods make you break out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:44 PM

Hi.
Firstly Ben it helps if you use the quote button so we can all see which bits are your comments and which are other peoples without having to check.

I agree not all studies that prove a link are false, there are many which are correct. It is of course correct that 1 chocolate bar does not cause acne. Therefore they can technically say that chocolate doesn't cause acne. The problem is an excessive amount of toxins from junk/processed foods over time can cause issues. Doesn't matter how young or old you are, it is based on genetics, some have stronger mechanisms for dealing with toxins and/or excess hormones than others. That is why some get acne and others do not. There are of course other causes of acne but the majority are linked to an overloaded liver including certain allergies.

Wrong again, kiddo. Anyone who says diet does effect acne and then believes it to be "simple science" should go back to mixing vinegar and baking soda. Nothing in the body is simple science. Derms often tell people to avoid foods for the same reason that some doctors still tell people that reading in the dark can ruin vision; just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you have to always be right. Usually, yes, but sometimes little misinformation passes.

The concept is simple science, the big picture is complicated but it all boils down to a simple principle. Anyone with even an ounce of common sense would understand what you eat has a dramatic effect on the way your body functions including the health of your skin.
I read one of your posts where you say about drinking more water as been a good thing for acne. So if drinking water which runs through some of the same system as food has an effect on acne in your mind why can't food?
I do of course completely agree with your comments about Doctors, no one can ever always be right.

I disagree. Processed food is much healthier than the mix of tainted and spoiled food we'd eat without preservatives. Biggest proof is the fact that our life expectancy has increased very rapidly in the last century. You may claim it's because medical science has improved enough to cure problems caused by our shit diets but the average age of people getting hurt by heart disease is still over a decade older than the life expectancy of someone who lives in the late 1800s and ate only the freshest foods.

I am not sure if you actually read what you had written above. I believe you to be relatively intelligent from the posts I have read but that is pretty much the most stupid thing you have said. You would find few people who would ever say preservatives were worse than eating bad food. Preservatives are very valid in modern society. I honestly prefer a world which has preservatives, without them it would make food choices, storage and preparation so much more difficult but I also understand the negative effects they can have with my health. One of the biggest used preservatives (Hydrogenated Oil) is quite bad for us but the food companies continue to use it because it is very cheap to produce and gives a lot of the products we eat a long shelf life.

Your comments about heart disease may be true, I am not really interested in checking. Most likely the new medication and testing methods we have for certain medical conditions is giving these so called percentage those extra 10 years. One thing I will say is it is obvious people are suffering health problems due to bad diet. I don't need to spend time searching on google or reading books, all I have to do is walk down the street and see how many people are clinically obese.

#22 Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

Im pretty sure diet has something to do with acne, well at least for me. Milk I think does cause acne for me, so i stay away from it. Fast food I am pretty sure doesnt help - but its hard not to eat it, when your with friends who also order it etc. So i usually end up eating it.

Chocolate im pretty sure is not good for my skin. I try to stay away from it, but again if someone others me some i can not resist. 2 weeks ago someone brought round a huge tin of chocolates, which i ate a lot off.

I started B5 a week after, and yesturday my face is the worst it has been in 3-4 years. Now i am not sure if it was because of the chocolate or the fact i had just started B5 and am perhaps experiecing a initial breakout. Whatever the case, its depressing me BIG TIME and im seriiously considering calling in ill tommorrow at work because of it.

#23 semolina pilchard

semolina pilchard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

coke. diet coke. dr pepper. whathaveyou.
i've been on antibiotics and ortho tri for years, tazorac for months, yet only had short periods of improvement. kept asking dermie if diet had anything to do with- answer repeatedly no. cut out coke for a few days, no improvement. tried again, kept it on for about three weeks and my skin is clear for the first time in about a decade. i feel like i'm jinxing it with this, but that was the only change i made, cutting out caramel-colored soda. i don't know what the correlation was (if any), but as addicted to diet coke that i was, i don't plan on touching colas, etc again. i figure i developed an especially bad reaction to it perhaps over time, but it's definitely worth an investment of a few weeks if it's a big part of your diet.
i have considered that it was perhaps the sugar in them, but my sugar intake is the same- i still put too much sugar in my tea and drink too much soda, etc., but it's the orange shit and such.
ah right, and of course dairy. big one.

#24 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:19 AM

"Anyone with even an ounce of common sense would understand what you eat has a dramatic effect on the way your body functions including the health of your skin."

That's the problem -- simple science doesn't work for finding links to food and skin; it's not simple when results need to go through 300 things to be "visible."

"Preservatives are very valid in modern society. I honestly prefer a world which has preservatives, without them it would make food choices, storage and preparation so much more difficult but I also understand the negative effects they can have with my health."

I misread your first quote. I just know there are people here who claim to hate everything that has a preservative and that they go out of their way to eat anything just for it to be fresh. My bad.

#25 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:45 AM

That's the problem -- simple science doesn't work for finding links to food and skin; it's not simple when results need to go through 300 things to be "visible."

That is fair enough. It does seem simple to me but I have spent two years researching which involved 10 main test subjects and numerous others found through forums like this.

I misread your first quote. I just know there are people here who claim to hate everything that has a preservative and that they go out of their way to eat anything just for it to be fresh. My bad.

No worries I do stuff like that all the time.

#26 vietbelle87

vietbelle87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

chocolate makes me break out bigg time ... sigh ... also any kind of soda ...

#27 Michael66

Michael66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:22 AM

Sharon Fruit is the worst for me. Too much iodine.

#28 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:05 PM

I am not a big fan of the food causes acne theories, especially when they involve severe dietary restrictions, or encourage people to imitate the diets of cavemen, as cavemen were really short and wiped their butts with their hands. That said, I must concede that I can - consistently - give myself cyctic acnes by drinking soda on several consecutive days. The same is true for chocolate. I am sure it is not a sugar issue per say, as I drink a large vanilla milkshake almost every day, and it does not give me acne. Perhaps it is a corn syrup issue, as I tend to get my milkshakes at Ben and Jerry’s, and I suspect they do not use corn syrup in their ice cream. In the end I don’t know, and I am content to get results with what I do know.

Water and apples do seem to help my skin a bit, as do other raw fruits and vegetables.

Exercise helps too, and I walk to and from work (1hr and 20min total) and do moderate weight training.

Right now my skin is perfect, thanks in part to not eating two things (soda, chocolate), and thanks in part to Dan’s Regimen. The regimen is an excellent acne treatment method and I recommend it. But I would go on to say that some reasonable attempt at good health and diet goes a long way, too. I think sometimes that certain people want to find an acne cure that will allow them to have great skin even as they exercise bad health habits. Only for the very rare animal is such a situation possible - drugs or no.

People generally do a disservice to acne sufferers when they say “Diet does not effect acne,� because such a statement implies food does not effect health, and of course we know it does. It is also bad, because as acne isolates a person, and as they take less pleasure in the company of others, they tend to lean more heavily on other things that give pleasure. It can be a kind of trap, if the acne sufferer sits home on Friday night watching HBO and eating chocolate sodas.

Also, I think it is reasonable to believe that just because our bodies can draw nourishment from a particular substance, it does not mean that it is good for us.

My point - at long last - is that if you are suffering with acne you will be most effective in treating it when you combine your medical treatment with a sustainable regular effort at good health. For me that means no soda or chocolate. It also means water and an apple a day - among other things.