Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do certain foods make you break out?

28 posts in this topic

Is it true that certain foods will trigger acne? I have heard some people say that if they eat junk food one day, the next morning they'll wake up with new zits, but then alot of people will say food and diet have nothing to do with acne? I'm confused about what I should cut out of my diet. I will try anything. eusa_think.gif

If you suspect a food link, keep a food diary and see if there are any patterns.I don't have any food triggers.Any time work gets really stressful or my cycle gets out of whack...I get flare ups.However,there are enough people on this board who say that certain diets or avoiding certain foods really improves their skin, so I believe that for some individuals there is a diet link.SweetJade has posted a great deal of information on the subject.You could search the archives for a number of posts and research.

ive tried it and stopped 100 times, milk causes cysts for me, no question.

] x [

- you are my sunshine ... my only sunshine

If you're not specifically allergic to a food, science has shown that there is NO connection to food and dairy.

i think there is a link. I never eat pizza no more or sausage and chips. Espicialy don't eat it with your hands smile.gif

If you're not specifically allergic to a food, science has shown that there is NO connection to food and dairy.

By the way, there ARE doctors that believe there is a food connection. My GP told me he attended a medical conference in which there was a presentation on how chocolate is related to acne.

"Look at the leaves of forest trees and see how dark green they are.

Think about your skin and the power of the forest."

-MelbourneBloke

By the way, there ARE doctors that believe there is a food connection.  My GP told me he attended a medical conference in which there was a presentation on how chocolate is related to acne.

Yeah, my derm told me to avoid peanut butter. But then there's some people here talking about eating nuts... He also said there might be a connection to dairy but it's not proven.

Amazing they are still allowed to use it. It would cost so much to change which is probs why the food companies don't bother.

That is great news. Lets hope other countries follow soon.

Hydrogenation turns relatively benign fats into artery-clogging goop. These unnatural trans fats are actually incorporated into the cellular membranes of those who consume it! The U.S. Congress has passed a law requiring food processors to label their products, indicating the trans fat content. However, it does not take effect until January 1, 2006. Leave it to the Republican-controlled Congress to bend over backwards for the convenience of the food industry. If it were up to Democrats, the law would be in effect already.

The food industry likes to use hydrogenated fats because it prolongs shelf life and gives products a crisp texture. People who have been eating those foods can take comfort in knowing that when the trans fats kill them, their bodies will have a longer coffin life and crisp texture.

A major component of milk is lactose, a sugar. Too much sugar consumed at any one time will cause a spike in the secretion of insulin by the pancreas, which in turn stimulates the sebaceous glands, which in many people causes acne.

Leave it to the Republican-controlled Congress to bend over backwards for the convenience of the food industry. If it were up to Democrats, the law would be in effect already.

"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."

- Abraham Lincoln

Anyways to answer your question I would say yes for me atleast u need to find the foods wich cause it though

"It usually comes down to how strong your excretory organs such as the liver are. If you have a strong liver then it can cope processing excess hormones and the large amounts of toxins we consume these days in the form of processed and junk foods. If not then you end up with problems such as acne. This is obviously one of the reasons some people breakout and others do not."

I don't doubt the agenda of food corporations -- but to say that studies that prove a link are false is idiotic and wishful thinking (for people who love bad news). I'd love to find the exact "outdated and fake chocolate study" you're refering to since I don't know how a study can both be fake AND outdated (and which you consider a more important factor...).

"Anyone who says diet does not effect acne either doesn't understand simple science or is buying in to the whole food company sponsored studies."

Wrong again, kiddo. Anyone who says diet does effect acne and then believes it to be "simple science" should go back to mixing vinegar and baking soda. Nothing in the body is simple science. Derms often tell people to avoid foods for the same reason that some doctors still tell people that reading in the dark can ruin vision; just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you have to always be right. Usually, yes, but sometimes little misinformation passes.

"Pretty much everything which is processed is full of toxins. "

I disagree. Processed food is much healthier than the mix of tainted and spoiled food we'd eat without preservatives. Biggest proof is the fact that our life expectancy has increased very rapidly in the last century. You may claim it's because medical science has improved enough to cure problems caused by our shit diets but the average age of people getting hurt by heart disease is still over a decade older than the life expectancy of someone who lives in the late 1800s and ate only the freshest foods.

"A major component of milk is lactose, a sugar. Too much sugar consumed at any one time will cause a spike in the secretion of insulin by the pancreas, which in turn stimulates the sebaceous glands, which in many people causes acne."

This is a false statement. You have to realize that an insulin spike in the body will not get to every single organ and have amazingly large effects. In many people eating sugar causes acne? That's a lie (or misinformed statement) all on its own.

"It usually comes down to how strong your excretory organs such as the liver are. If you have a strong liver then it can cope processing excess hormones and the large amounts of toxins we consume these days in the form of processed and junk foods. If not then you end up with problems such as acne. This is obviously one of the reasons some people breakout and others do not."

I don't doubt the agenda of food corporations -- but to say that studies that prove a link are false is idiotic and wishful thinking (for people who love bad news). I'd love to find the exact "outdated and fake chocolate study" you're refering to since I don't know how a study can both be fake AND outdated (and which you consider a more important factor...).

"Anyone who says diet does not effect acne either doesn't understand simple science or is buying in to the whole food company sponsored studies."

Wrong again, kiddo. Anyone who says diet does effect acne and then believes it to be "simple science" should go back to mixing vinegar and baking soda. Nothing in the body is simple science. Derms often tell people to avoid foods for the same reason that some doctors still tell people that reading in the dark can ruin vision; just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you have to always be right. Usually, yes, but sometimes little misinformation passes.

"Pretty much everything which is processed is full of toxins. "

I disagree. Processed food is much healthier than the mix of tainted and spoiled food we'd eat without preservatives. Biggest proof is the fact that our life expectancy has increased very rapidly in the last century. You may claim it's because medical science has improved enough to cure problems caused by our shit diets but the average age of people getting hurt by heart disease is still over a decade older than the life expectancy of someone who lives in the late 1800s and ate only the freshest foods.

Hi.

Firstly Ben it helps if you use the quote button so we can all see which bits are your comments and which are other peoples without having to check.

I agree not all studies that prove a link are false, there are many which are correct. It is of course correct that 1 chocolate bar does not cause acne. Therefore they can technically say that chocolate doesn't cause acne. The problem is an excessive amount of toxins from junk/processed foods over time can cause issues. Doesn't matter how young or old you are, it is based on genetics, some have stronger mechanisms for dealing with toxins and/or excess hormones than others. That is why some get acne and others do not. There are of course other causes of acne but the majority are linked to an overloaded liver including certain allergies.

Im pretty sure diet has something to do with acne, well at least for me. Milk I think does cause acne for me, so i stay away from it. Fast food I am pretty sure doesnt help - but its hard not to eat it, when your with friends who also order it etc. So i usually end up eating it.

Chocolate im pretty sure is not good for my skin. I try to stay away from it, but again if someone others me some i can not resist. 2 weeks ago someone brought round a huge tin of chocolates, which i ate a lot off.

I started B5 a week after, and yesturday my face is the worst it has been in 3-4 years. Now i am not sure if it was because of the chocolate or the fact i had just started B5 and am perhaps experiecing a initial breakout. Whatever the case, its depressing me BIG TIME and im seriiously considering calling in ill tommorrow at work because of it.

coke. diet coke. dr pepper. whathaveyou.

i've been on antibiotics and ortho tri for years, tazorac for months, yet only had short periods of improvement. kept asking dermie if diet had anything to do with- answer repeatedly no. cut out coke for a few days, no improvement. tried again, kept it on for about three weeks and my skin is clear for the first time in about a decade. i feel like i'm jinxing it with this, but that was the only change i made, cutting out caramel-colored soda. i don't know what the correlation was (if any), but as addicted to diet coke that i was, i don't plan on touching colas, etc again. i figure i developed an especially bad reaction to it perhaps over time, but it's definitely worth an investment of a few weeks if it's a big part of your diet.

i have considered that it was perhaps the sugar in them, but my sugar intake is the same- i still put too much sugar in my tea and drink too much soda, etc., but it's the orange shit and such.

ah right, and of course dairy. big one.

"Anyone with even an ounce of common sense would understand what you eat has a dramatic effect on the way your body functions including the health of your skin."

That's the problem -- simple science doesn't work for finding links to food and skin; it's not simple when results need to go through 300 things to be "visible."

"Preservatives are very valid in modern society. I honestly prefer a world which has preservatives, without them it would make food choices, storage and preparation so much more difficult but I also understand the negative effects they can have with my health."

I misread your first quote. I just know there are people here who claim to hate everything that has a preservative and that they go out of their way to eat anything just for it to be fresh. My bad.

That's the problem -- simple science doesn't work for finding links to food and skin; it's not simple when results need to go through 300 things to be "visible."