Photo

Do certain foods make you break out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 dalesgirl

dalesgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:14 AM

Is it true that certain foods will trigger acne? I have heard some people say that if they eat junk food one day, the next morning they'll wake up with new zits, but then alot of people will say food and diet have nothing to do with acne? I'm confused about what I should cut out of my diet. I will try anything. eusa_think.gif

#2 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:43 AM

If you suspect a food link, keep a food diary and see if there are any patterns.I don't have any food triggers.Any time work gets really stressful or my cycle gets out of whack...I get flare ups.However,there are enough people on this board who say that certain diets or avoiding certain foods really improves their skin, so I believe that for some individuals there is a diet link.SweetJade has posted a great deal of information on the subject.You could search the archives for a number of posts and research.

#3 Ag3ntx

Ag3ntx

i love lesbos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:18 AM

ive tried it and stopped 100 times, milk causes cysts for me, no question.

] x [

#4 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:57 PM

If you're not specifically allergic to a food, science has shown that there is NO connection to food and dairy.

#5 jpp

jpp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:22 AM

i think there is a link. I never eat pizza no more or sausage and chips. Espicialy don't eat it with your hands smile.gif

#6 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:06 PM

It's called the nocebo effect.

#7 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:27 AM

If you're not specifically allergic to a food, science has shown that there is NO connection to food and dairy.

I assume you are basing that on the outdated and faked chocolate study or the others that are paid for by the food industry.
You will find most so called science swings towards the outcome wanted by who is footing the bill.

Diet of course does have an effect on acne, it has an effect on general health as well. Many proper doctors are now also agreeing on this.

One food will very unlikely break you out, it is all the bad foods you eat over time which cause problems. The body was never meant to follow a modern day diet which is why people are having more health problems and of course more acne.

It usually comes down to how strong your excretory organs such as the liver are. If you have a strong liver then it can cope processing excess hormones and the large amounts of toxins we consume these days in the form of processed and junk foods. If not then you end up with problems such as acne. This is obviously one of the reasons some people breakout and others do not.

The whole puberty and acne tends to be due the body producing way too many hormones for the liver to be able to process. Once the body slows down the production as you get older then the liver can cope again and the acne disappears. The teenagers who don't get acne tend to have a very strong liver.

By eating more healthy foods such as vegetables, clean meats like chicken and turkey, lots of fruit, lots of water and so on you can remove some of the burden from your liver so it has more capacity to process some of the excess hormones.

Anyone who says diet does not effect acne either doesn't understand simple science or is buying in to the whole food company sponsored studies.

#8 BillClinton

BillClinton

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 24 2004, 09:57 PM)

View Post

What a retarded statement it is!

#9 HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:21 PM

By the way, there ARE doctors that believe there is a food connection. My GP told me he attended a medical conference in which there was a presentation on how chocolate is related to acne.

#10 Nutopia

Nutopia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM @ Nov 29 2004, 06:21 PM)
By the way, there ARE doctors that believe there is a food connection.  My GP told me he attended a medical conference in which there was a presentation on how chocolate is related to acne.

View Post

Yeah, my derm told me to avoid peanut butter. But then there's some people here talking about eating nuts... He also said there might be a connection to dairy but it's not proven.

#11 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, my derm told me to avoid peanut butter. But then there's some people here talking about eating nuts... He also said there might be a connection to dairy but it's not proven.

Pretty much everything which is processed is full of toxins. One of the worst toxins is in most processed foods (hydrogenated oil) as a preservative. Amazing they are still allowed to use it. It would cost so much to change which is probs why the food companies don't bother.

Nuts are very hard for your body to digest but are nutrient rich and are well worth including in your diet. Like anything, moderation is the key.

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

Amazing they are still allowed to use it. It would cost so much to change which is probs why the food companies don't bother.

Not for long in Canada. They are banning trans fats. People talkabout prevention being the best medicine, well this is it.

#13 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:34 PM

That is great news. Lets hope other countries follow soon.

#14 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:05 AM

Hydrogenation turns relatively benign fats into artery-clogging goop. These unnatural trans fats are actually incorporated into the cellular membranes of those who consume it! The U.S. Congress has passed a law requiring food processors to label their products, indicating the trans fat content. However, it does not take effect until January 1, 2006. Leave it to the Republican-controlled Congress to bend over backwards for the convenience of the food industry. If it were up to Democrats, the law would be in effect already.

The food industry likes to use hydrogenated fats because it prolongs shelf life and gives products a crisp texture. People who have been eating those foods can take comfort in knowing that when the trans fats kill them, their bodies will have a longer coffin life and crisp texture.

#15 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:08 AM

A major component of milk is lactose, a sugar. Too much sugar consumed at any one time will cause a spike in the secretion of insulin by the pancreas, which in turn stimulates the sebaceous glands, which in many people causes acne.

#16 arrshixerrr

arrshixerrr

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:44 AM

whey protein, dariy, high GI carbs and creatine.....

#17 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:21 PM

Leave it to the Republican-controlled Congress to bend over backwards for the convenience of the food industry. If it were up to Democrats, the law would be in effect already.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Both parties have ties to corporate America. Whoever is in power, things like this get stalled.

#18 daveyguy23

daveyguy23

"GOT GOOD DAYS AND U HAVE BAD DAYS"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:57 PM

Anyways to answer your question I would say yes for me atleast u need to find the foods wich cause it though

#19 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:26 PM

"It usually comes down to how strong your excretory organs such as the liver are. If you have a strong liver then it can cope processing excess hormones and the large amounts of toxins we consume these days in the form of processed and junk foods. If not then you end up with problems such as acne. This is obviously one of the reasons some people breakout and others do not."

I don't doubt the agenda of food corporations -- but to say that studies that prove a link are false is idiotic and wishful thinking (for people who love bad news). I'd love to find the exact "outdated and fake chocolate study" you're refering to since I don't know how a study can both be fake AND outdated (and which you consider a more important factor...).

"Anyone who says diet does not effect acne either doesn't understand simple science or is buying in to the whole food company sponsored studies."

Wrong again, kiddo. Anyone who says diet does effect acne and then believes it to be "simple science" should go back to mixing vinegar and baking soda. Nothing in the body is simple science. Derms often tell people to avoid foods for the same reason that some doctors still tell people that reading in the dark can ruin vision; just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you have to always be right. Usually, yes, but sometimes little misinformation passes.

"Pretty much everything which is processed is full of toxins. "

I disagree. Processed food is much healthier than the mix of tainted and spoiled food we'd eat without preservatives. Biggest proof is the fact that our life expectancy has increased very rapidly in the last century. You may claim it's because medical science has improved enough to cure problems caused by our shit diets but the average age of people getting hurt by heart disease is still over a decade older than the life expectancy of someone who lives in the late 1800s and ate only the freshest foods.

"A major component of milk is lactose, a sugar. Too much sugar consumed at any one time will cause a spike in the secretion of insulin by the pancreas, which in turn stimulates the sebaceous glands, which in many people causes acne."

This is a false statement. You have to realize that an insulin spike in the body will not get to every single organ and have amazingly large effects. In many people eating sugar causes acne? That's a lie (or misinformed statement) all on its own.

#20 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:28 PM

"It usually comes down to how strong your excretory organs such as the liver are. If you have a strong liver then it can cope processing excess hormones and the large amounts of toxins we consume these days in the form of processed and junk foods. If not then you end up with problems such as acne. This is obviously one of the reasons some people breakout and others do not."

I don't doubt the agenda of food corporations -- but to say that studies that prove a link are false is idiotic and wishful thinking (for people who love bad news). I'd love to find the exact "outdated and fake chocolate study" you're refering to since I don't know how a study can both be fake AND outdated (and which you consider a more important factor...).

"Anyone who says diet does not effect acne either doesn't understand simple science or is buying in to the whole food company sponsored studies."

Wrong again, kiddo. Anyone who says diet does effect acne and then believes it to be "simple science" should go back to mixing vinegar and baking soda. Nothing in the body is simple science. Derms often tell people to avoid foods for the same reason that some doctors still tell people that reading in the dark can ruin vision; just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you have to always be right. Usually, yes, but sometimes little misinformation passes.

"Pretty much everything which is processed is full of toxins. "

I disagree. Processed food is much healthier than the mix of tainted and spoiled food we'd eat without preservatives. Biggest proof is the fact that our life expectancy has increased very rapidly in the last century. You may claim it's because medical science has improved enough to cure problems caused by our shit diets but the average age of people getting hurt by heart disease is still over a decade older than the life expectancy of someone who lives in the late 1800s and ate only the freshest foods.