Photo

can motrin (ibuprofen) pills help acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 rocketteem

rocketteem

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:35 AM

Sorry if I am necro'ing this...

But I have been on ibuprofen prescription for more than a week for a leg injury

My acne has completely stopped. Not sure if it is relate to the meds, injury, or not shaving for a week though.
I thought shaving was why, but even my forehead hasn't broken out. So maybe my body is too busy healing my knee to make acne, or its the meds.

Ither way... I'm 20, and am on 600mg 2 times a day.
The person who made this thread sounds to be much younger, and I am stressing that IBU should NOOOOT be used. Other than the intended purpose. It is verrrry bad for you and using a lot can cause ulcers, and all sorts of problems.

Consider it a nice side effect while having prescribe, BUT THAT'S IT. Even if its a cure.

#22 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

I definitely agree with the previous poster who says that you SHOULD NOT BE TAKING PAIN KILLERS FOR ACNE. You should not be taking them in general if, in any way, you can avoid it. Stay far away from NSAIDS and things like acetominophen, which is a BLOOD THINNER. If you absolutely must take something for PAIN, it is better to take HALF an ibuprofen on an empty stomach, always take the least amount of drug you can to help you feel better, and only when absolutely needed. Pills are like little bricks and require a large amount of the body's resources to break down. The rush of your body trying to digest such a thing is what makes you feel better. It puts you in a survivial state, and your body releases homones like adrenaline which numbs the pain. BAD.

Acne can be cured by diet, read my previous posts to find out what foods to eat.

#23 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:27 AM

I've discovered you can take the ibuprofen liquid gel caps break them open and mix them into your face cream. That way you're only applying the ibuprofen where you need it and the dose you get is tiny (about half a pill, ~100mg).

It works because the liquid gels contains the ibuprofen dissolved, and it's absorbed through the skin just fine (it's ok to apply ibuprofen topically, you can get ibuprofen gel over the counter in the UK for sports injuries, provided you're not sensitive to ibuprofen anyway).

Works great.

#24 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ Jan 26 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definitely agree with the previous poster who says that you SHOULD NOT BE TAKING PAIN KILLERS FOR ACNE. You should not be taking them in general if, in any way, you can avoid it. Stay far away from NSAIDS and things like acetominophen, which is a BLOOD THINNER. If you absolutely must take something for PAIN, it is better to take HALF an ibuprofen on an empty stomach, always take the least amount of drug you can to help you feel better, and only when absolutely needed. Pills are like little bricks and require a large amount of the body's resources to break down. The rush of your body trying to digest such a thing is what makes you feel better. It puts you in a survivial state, and your body releases homones like adrenaline which numbs the pain. BAD.

Acne can be cured by diet, read my previous posts to find out what foods to eat.

Acetaminophen is not an anti-coagulant. Ibuprofen can cause an anti-coagulant effect.

These 'pain killers' have their place when used correctly. It's better to take ibuprofen with food. That helps limit stomach upset.

Your description of how pain killers work is also extremely incorrect. Please read up on it (on an accurate website) before stating such things.

#25 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

Ibuprofen has only a mild anti-coagulant effect, but the primary effect is as an anti-inflammatory, which is probably why it is good for acne, as acne seems to be an inflammatory disease (acne improves on low-dose tetracyclines, even when given below the dose necessary to kill bacteria, tetracyclines have a well known anti-inflammatory effect.)

#26 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (temp123 @ Apr 21 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ibuprofen has only a mild anti-coagulant effect, but the primary effect is as an anti-inflammatory, which is probably why it is good for acne, as acne seems to be an inflammatory disease (acne improves on low-dose tetracyclines, even when given below the dose necessary to kill bacteria, tetracyclines have a well known anti-inflammatory effect.)

Yes. Doxycycline in subclinical doses (50mg or less a day) has also been proven to be effective for acne due to the anti-inflammatory effect.

I recommend ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. But ibuprofen does have an anti-coagulant effect and thus patients who are on Plavix, who have bleeding ulcers, who are on any other type of anti-coagulant therapy should choose another type of anti-inflammatory and steer clear of NSAIDs altogether. It's not a significant risk for most young persons.

#27 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (temp123 @ Aug 10 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, with my topical ibuprofen, my total dose is about 50mg/day, so I'm not at all worried, and it gives good clearance.

With the pills you have to max out the dose, LionQueen apparently tried it, and I think it worked a bit, but COX-2 inhibitor pills (Alleve) work better for monthly acne with pills.

I used Aleve. The thread is in the Adult Acne forum.

#28 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (temp123 @ Apr 21 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've discovered you can take the ibuprofen liquid gel caps break them open and mix them into your face cream. That way you're only applying the ibuprofen where you need it and the dose you get is tiny (about half a pill, ~100mg).

It works because the liquid gels contains the ibuprofen dissolved, and it's absorbed through the skin just fine (it's ok to apply ibuprofen topically, you can get ibuprofen gel over the counter in the UK for sports injuries, provided you're not sensitive to ibuprofen anyway).

Works great.

Its not even near 50 or 100mg of ibuprofen absorbed when using it topically. Only about 10% of what you apply to your face will be absorbed through the skin....

A 100gram tube (containing aprox 5000mg of ibuprofen (5%)) lasts me 6 weeks, 42 days.... I therefore use aprox 120 mg per day, about 10% of this will be absorbed, so we are talking about 12mg of the drug reaching the blood.

#29 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, sounds about right from the numbers in the studies I've just looked at.

If your numbers are right, it's 1/100 of the maximum daily dose you're absorbing.

#30 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

i believe the total absorbed amount from an application of 120mg will result in anything from 2mg-15mg being absorbed systemically. Depending on the efficiency of the carrier in the given topical ibuprofen, ofcourse.

Either way, yeah we are getting about 1/100th of the amount you would get from a single oral dose of 400-600mg.

I only apply the ibuprofen once at night.

#31 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

That's interesting then, I didn't realise it was quite that low-it might open the door for use for bacne as well; provided it's not too extensive.

#32 csmedic

csmedic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

The outward signs of acne (the redness, pain, and swelling) are all caused by the body's inflammatory process. Bacteria injure the dermal tissue causing special immune cells (Mast cells) to release Histamine. Histamine is a chemical mediator that causes local blood vessels to dilate (causing the redness), and fluids to leak out of capillaries (swelling). Other chemical mediators released by the body called Prostaglandins also contribute to the inflammatory response and cause pain (when you press down on a pimple). Ibuprofen is a NSAID, and blocks formation of prostaglandins by inhibiting the enzyme (COX) that creates them. Therefore, ibuprofen does in fact work to block certain processes involved in inflammation and can indeed be used to treat acne.

It is not foolish or reckless to attempt to use ibuprofen to treat your acne. Also, the drug is not nearly as bad as it is made out here. Otherwise healthy young people will most likely not experience the GI adverse effects like ulcers or liver problems. You should speak to your doctor before starting ibuprofen, and it is most effective when combined with a tetracycline family antibiotic.

#33 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (csmedic @ Jun 17 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is not foolish or reckless to attempt to use ibuprofen to treat your acne. Also, the drug is not nearly as bad as it is made out here. Otherwise healthy young people will most likely not experience the GI adverse effects like ulcers or liver problems. You should speak to your doctor before starting ibuprofen, and it is most effective when combined with a tetracycline family antibiotic.

On balance I think the pills are probably a bad idea; you're risking shutting down your kidneys. With acne you would have to take a huge dose over a long period, much longer that ibuprofen is normally taken for. You'd probably be better off with a high dose tetracycline- that gives an anti-inflammatory effect anyway.

The topical ibuprofen on the other hand; you don't absorb enough to do that and it seems to give very quick resolution of the lesions. In fact, it may well only be significantly absorbed only where the spots are.

#34 csmedic

csmedic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (temp123 @ Jun 17 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On balance I think the pills are probably a bad idea; you're risking shutting down your kidneys. With acne you would have to take a huge dose over a long period, much longer that ibuprofen is normally taken for. You'd probably be better off with a high dose tetracycline- that gives an anti-inflammatory effect anyway.

The topical ibuprofen on the other hand; you don't absorb enough to do that and it seems to give very quick resolution of the lesions. In fact, it may well only be significantly absorbed only where the spots are.

Renal elimination is not a problem in younger patients without disease. Ibuprofen can be safely taken at as much as 3200 mg/day Rx. You will not need that much for treating acne.

As far as avoiding it in enteral form, it is purely a benefit vs risk stratification, and ibuprofen is rarely dangerous, and has been shown to reduce acne. I also do not agree that tetracycline is any safer than ibuprofen as far as the kidneys are concerned. All drugs must be eliminated through the kidneys or liver/biliary system. It is unavoidable and a non issue in healthy patients that meet the indications.

#35 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (csmedic @ Jun 17 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (temp123 @ Jun 17 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Renal elimination is not a problem in younger patients without disease. Ibuprofen can be safely taken at as much as 3200 mg/day Rx. You will not need that much for treating acne.

As far as avoiding it in enteral form, it is purely a benefit vs risk stratification, and ibuprofen is rarely dangerous, and has been shown to reduce acne. I also do not agree that tetracycline is any safer than ibuprofen as far as the kidneys are concerned. All drugs must be eliminated through the kidneys or liver/biliary system. It is unavoidable and a non issue in healthy patients that meet the indications.

The thing is though that the topical form is a tiny, tiny dose and costs far, far less. You're also with acne facing taking ibuprofen over a long, long period. It's not usually taken like that in pill form, although ibuprofen is better from a GI perspective, it's still not completely blameless.

The dose from topical is never likely to cause any problems at all no matter how long you take it for, the absorption is tiny, and the total dose is low.

There's also the other point, that you don't need to take an antibiotics at all- you can stick to topical antibacterials and not mess up your intestinal flora. I think the combination of topical ibuprofen and topical tea tree oil is as good (actually better) than minocyline, but without the risk of lupus.

#36 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:33 AM

bump