Photo

can motrin (ibuprofen) pills help acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 omgitspres

omgitspres

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:44 PM

i was reading another acne messageboard and many people have said that taking motrin daily got rid of their acne FAST! so motrin is ibuprofen right? i was looking in my familys medicine cabinet for motrin but we dont have any then i found advil which says 200mg ibuprofen on it....is advil the same thing as motrin???? lemme know thankz i dont care if its bad ill take 6 pills of that a day if itll rid me of acne lol....so to conclude is motrin the same thing as advil?

#2 hrb007

hrb007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:47 PM

Yes, it's all ibuprofen. Whatever you do be careful with it, that stuff can tear your stomach up big time.

#3 Paul86

Paul86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:51 PM

It can help if you have inflamation. You really have to take a lot of it though - 600mg 4x a day.

I tried it and really regretted it as it caused me to get depressed for a week. So maybe don't try it if you've ever had problems with depression.

#4 omgitspres

omgitspres

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:03 PM

wait whats inflammation again? the thing with me is....i dont have acne and i only have 1 pimple....but whenever i get a pimple it goes away and leaves a small red mark so i have a whole bunch of those on the sides of my faces so it looks like acne....wait 600mgx4??? my bottle says 200mg and i just took 2 so how many should i take a day?

#5 omgitspres

omgitspres

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:58 PM

oh i get it so whatever the mg is thats how much each pill has right??? so if my pills have 200 each i need 3 to equal what you said??? cool i get it......ok im gonna start taking a WHOLE BUNCH every day but whats inflammation because people say it helps with that but im not sure what inflammation is lol

#6 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:16 AM

I've had to take high dose ibuprofen for other ailments under a docs care. It didn't help my acne.If you want something that helps inflamed acne, oral antibiotics or topical emu oil are much better options.Ibuprofen thins the protective lining of your stomach. It can cause bleeding and nasty nausea.If you do high doses take it with food or milk.Also as a friendly aside...Tylenol (acetaminiphen) is never to be taken at higher doses. eusa_naughty.gif A buddy of mine stopped in at work to tell me how he just assisted on a transplant team replacing the liver of a gal who was megadosing on Tylenol.Please be safe 'cause OTC drugs are still drugs.

#7 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

Not to sound like your mother or anything but if you don't even know what the hell the dosage is on something as simple as a Advil bottle, I don't thikn you should be messing around with taking large doses of it.

#8 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:25 AM

omgitspres! please respond to the other (masturbation) thread. i had a couple of questions for you.

also, you could really mess up your body if you take 600 mg 4 times a day.

#9 Laura123

Laura123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:32 PM

You are insane, I wouldn't be taking any medicine (even if you can buy it over the counter) in large doses for a long period of time without instruction from the doctor.

#10 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:45 PM

Laura's right. You're an idiot to start taking medicine daily not knowing its effect on your bodily organs.

#11 DarkDragoon

DarkDragoon

It was crimson, like a drop of blood.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

Ain't gonna do shit for your redmarks anyway.

#12 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:29 PM

I concur with everyone else. Taking large quantities of anti-inflammatories on the basis that it might help your skin stop forming a pigmented mark is insane. The red mark is a normal remnant of your skins inflammatory/healing process. You might want to consider an acne treatment that has pigment fading or exfoliating properties like azeliac acid, salicylic acid, topical retinoids. Also consider light ahas ie: diluted acv toner.

#13 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:27 PM

frances, i've been trying to tell him that forever but he won't even consider "tried and true" acne medicine...he only wants to see if very strange things will heal him...it is quite exasperating.

#14 cflow

cflow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:12 AM

my doctor gave me 800mg motrin for leg pain and said to take it 3x/day. some of the redness on my face does seem to be fading. i'll post after awhile when I can tell if it's short term or something unrelated.

#15 Thuglife2k5

Thuglife2k5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

umm wutever u do dont take 600 mg 4 times a day..

i took one in the morning and one at night. I was lightheaded but after 4 days it worked goood.

OVERDOSING will make itt WORSE trust me

#16 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

I agree with the comments on Ibuprofen in pill form, it's doubtless a bad idea- the dose you need to stop your acne would be too high for too long to be very safe. It would probably mess up your stomach, long term (although ibuprofen is better than a lot of things in that regard.)

But I'm using topical ibuprofen gel and loving it.

The total dose is low because I'm only applying it where I need it, it works out at the equivalent of about 1/4 of a pill a day.

It seems very effective.

I'm in the UK, and topical ibuprofen (5%) is widely available in all the supermarkets as a sports rub. I've never tried it on sports injuries, but it seems really good for acne to me.

It seems to be invisible, klnd to skin, doesn't bleach clothes, it's cheap and effective.

#17 pinkshoeaddict

pinkshoeaddict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

It definitely doesn't help. For a while I took relatively high doses to deal with PMS symptoms and it did nothing whatsoever for the acne. Also, once you start taking stuff like ibuprofen and other OTC painkillers regularly, you can develop rebound headaches if you decide to stop taking them because your body is so used to having anti-inflammatories in the system. It's definitely not worth it.

#18 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

I don't think you can be so sure. Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. Did you take it *before* your menses- I believe you have to start anti-inflammatories a few days in advance for it to work.

I found that topical ibuprofen worked, I never took the pills for long enough to be sure either way.

Also, see:

http://dermnetnz.org...-treatment.html

where they mention ibuprofen and naproxen (both cox inhibitors, naproxen is a cox-2 inhibitor).

#19 lilsparkle825

lilsparkle825

school is cool

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:27 AM

oh geez. well i went to the ER for chest pains the other day and along with some other painkillers i was told to start an ibuprofen regimen...i have been doing this for a few years now to deal with chronic pain but the FIRST thing my doctor said was to make sure i am not taking too much. i got a second on that the next day when i called to followup with my regular doctor. ibuprofen can tear your stomach and liver up, people...i'm pretty sure those two things are more important than getting rid of acne.

still laughing at whoever suggested 600mg 4x a day. anything over 400mg is usually too much for the average joe, especially if its just cause of some bumps on your face!!!

#20 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Well, with my topical ibuprofen, my total dose is about 50mg/day, so I'm not at all worried, and it gives good clearance.

With the pills you have to max out the dose, LionQueen apparently tried it, and I think it worked a bit, but COX-2 inhibitor pills (Alleve) work better for monthly acne with pills.