Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skin Needling/Needle Dermabrasion

1,414 posts in this topic

MC great news about the syringe needles - will get some myself

Subsicion and Needling ares not exactly the same. As I see it, subsicion can involve cutting away at the old underlying scar, just using one needle per scar and twisting around under the scar (the needle has razer edges (unlike a normal needle)

Needling itself uses more pinpricks - but ultimately, the goal is the same - that is to stimulate collagen and push the indents up to the surface.

It's been about 4 days since my experiment - and all the puffiness around the scar has just about gone and some of the scars are improved - not so pronounced - but I do feel that it will take several sessions for a really big difference.

Even in the needling links, it does say that it normally takes 3 sessions to create big results (and they are using professional machines) so it may take us 5-7 (at a guess)

Altogether, I am pleased with what has been achieved so far.

Oh yes - something to note - IF you have some scars that are still slightly active (that is, the old zit/cyst isn't completey dead) - don't work on those. What I have found is that the needling works best on old scars.

Eyesiss - keep us updated - don't worry, it will be fine, we are all a few days ahead fo you, so keep reading these posts as to see what to expect!

Maya

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

Yea, i definetly need to do this again. My scar have slightly improved but not that much.

I think we have to be quite persistent with needling.

Since i didn't do all my scars - I am going to have a go at some of the other ones in a week or so - just had to check my diary to see what I had on, as I think the first 3-4 days, the needling puffiness was a bit obvious in daylight!

I posted last night to see if anyone had gotten instructions or other guidance from any of the needle dermabrasion doctors, as I'd like to give this a shot. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks and keep the faith,

Henry

Nothing new here, just waiting for the next time to do this. I was just wondering how far i should go when i pierce my scars. Now that i'm getting thin syringes i think piercing will be easier. I remember reading on Des Fernandes' site that deeper the better??

Henry - please read this WHOLE thread - everything we know is on here.

I doubt any needling doc is going to give the whole run down on the procedure - if you are apprehensive, I suggest you don't do this. But maybe you can try on just 1 scar.

Thats great news Eyeciss, has the coagulation gone aaway?

Yes - it seems to be hard to tell why some scars worked better with this method. Some are definately better - smoother too and some, not much change

:) Sorry for not updating sooner. I was surprised to see the link has grown so much. Boy have you all been busy. I am glad that those of you who have tried this at home have gotten some results. I must say you are brave! The difference in using a tattoo machine is that the needle (which is actually 5 needles) pierces the skin about 300 to 600 times a minute. The tattoo machine also controls the depth at which the needles penetrate the skin, giving the tattooist complete control. The needling technique using a tattoo machine also injects water into the skin to help break up scar tissue and generate new collagan growth.

The premise is the same in using a regular needle (pin) but in my opinion they are not one in the same. By piercing the skin a few times with a needle you are taking some serious risks. You could easily pierce the skin to deeply, cause an infection or end up with a deeper more pronounced scar. Please be careful.

As for my scars, the skin has completely healed and the results are lasting. I am now back to my regular skin care routine (cleanser & TNS) and I have been wearing makeup. I plan on having the procedure done again in a few weeks since my worst scar (improved 50%) still needs some help. Otherwise I am very happy with the resluts I got 100% on one smaller ice pick scar, 75% on a slighly larger ice pick and 50% on the deepest largest ice pick.

Joginn - thanks for the update! The results sound great!

I didn't realise that the tatoo gun sprayed water into the skin - so now it seems to me that tatoo needling is a combination of using the needle with saline type injections.

Cooll Joginn, where did you get your needling done? I wish i knew a place that i can go for tattoo needling...

Anyways, I needled some other scars the other day. While some didn't change me, one in particular completely leveled. I just don't know why the other ones didn't.

Joginn -

I'll be having my friend (tatoo artist) do one small scar on my face tomorrow morning. If you read this before then - Is there anything I should tell him? How deep to go? How many passes? etc?

Thank you.

~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.

- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

Tamara - hey, good luck - just a standard tatoo pass is all you need. You'll be fine - we'll all be thinking of you!

Eyesis - if you only have 7 scars, then self treating is probably best - I have so many LOL!! It would take me forever to get through them! Really glad that you are seeing improvements!

Thanks Maya!!! :)

I'll keep you posted.

~ Tamara

My mum came over ysterday - she lives quite a distance away, so I don't get to see her for a couple of months at a time - she looked at me and said - hey, your scars are shrinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, it's not just my imagination!

Wows, thats great to hear. Sometimes we doubt ourselves but having someone else tell you of improvement is especially comforting. Since she hasn't seen you in awhile she can really notice a difference.

I has a tattoo artist say that her procedure for needling is staying within the scar margins and making one pass the length of the scar and crossing back an forth 2-4 times the width of the scar.

We search for more answers because the ones we have found are not to our liking.

Anna - thank you for that information!

It's so good that we are all in this together and improving - just goes to show that you don't have to spend thousands on laser surgery to get results.

It will take time and patience for us, but we are worth it!!!!

Wow Maya, that is awesome news!!! I hope this is something that will work for everyone with acne scars.

I got one scar done by my friend today. We took a before picture so we'll be able to actually compare the results. It hurt, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It did bleed, but not for too terribly long. It just looks like a scratch of some sort right now - just red looking. He told me to wash it carefully with antibacterial soap and to apply A&D ointment on it twice a day. I asked him when we'd know if it worked and he said probably in about 2 weeks when it's healed. He said if it doesn't give the result I wanted then he'll try it again with a little "heavier hand". I really hope this experiment will be worthwhile. :)

~ Tamara

Tamara - wow, great! Keep us posted!

If you do want to get it done again, wait at least a month.

What is a&d ointment?

He gave me a packet of A&D Ointment.

Here's the ingredients:

Active Ingredient: White Petrolatum

Inactive Ingredients: Light Mineral Oil,

Petrolatum, Vitamin A Palmitate and Vitamin D.

So it would seem that it's basically Vaseline, mineral oil and vitamins A & D.

:?: Does anyone know the reasoning behind waiting a month to do this again? :?:

~ Tamara

Here is a close-up of the scar before the tatooing:

http://www.tamaramadden.com/ScarDetail_11-16-2002.jpg

Here is a close up of the scar right after the tatooing (same day),

Warning, it doesn't look too pretty:

http://www.tamaramadden.com/ScarDetail2_11-16-2002.jpg

I'll try and post another photo after a week, and then another after two weeks so we'll be able to truly see the difference.

~ Tamara

Tamara - thanks for the pictures!

You need to wait one month becasue that's ho long it takes for the skin to heal (underneath) - Des Fernades (the cosmetic surgeon for this procedure) told me.

Maya,

Just wanted to let you know I sent you a PM on this topic. I don't know whether you read those or not. Thanks.

I don't mean to be sappy, but scarring is such a difficult thing to go through alone. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone's input. I think the mere knowledge that we are not in this alone helps all of us. Weekends are the hardest. The very best of luck to us all!

We search for more answers because the ones we have found are not to our liking.