Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skin Needling/Needle Dermabrasion

1,414 posts in this topic

I must admit that the procedure awkward. You can feel and hear the piercing but thats a good sign because you know that you're hitting the scar. I am so tempted to do it again right now but i don't want to go home for the holidays with redmarks so i figure i'll do it after. "Patience is a virtue, temptation i curse you."

I did it last night!!!!! On about 20 diffeerent scars on my forehead - took around 1 hour in all. That popping/crackling noise - now I get it! This is 10 hours later, ans some of them definately look better (the smaller ones) the larger pits, I had to needle around 10-20 times, and they are forming scabs, so can't give update for another day or 2. All in all, I am very pleased with what I've done. If it has gone well after a week, I will have a go on some big ones on my cheeks!

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

Wow Maya! I can't believe you went ahead and did it! Brave girl. :)

I hope that it turns out well for you. Yes, please keep us posted about what you do to heal them and how long it takes.

I am supposed to have ONE of my more hidden (near the hairline) scars done next Saturday by my friend. It's just going to be a little test to see how my skin responds to it and to see how/if it works for me. I'll keep you posted too.

~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.

- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

I'm happy with your success so far. This isn't a 1 time miracle procedure, its more therapuetic and needs to be done several times. As soon as i get my copper peptide cream i will do this again. The next time i do it im going to try it with thinner needles. I think if i use thinner needles it will make piercing through the scars easier. Some of my scars are hard to pierce. I can't even pierce some and im affraid to apply too much pressure. Its important to be gentle and not too aggressive while doing this. Use sterile needles and apply H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) or warm water over the holes to help them heal. After looking closely to my scared region, i've noticed holes that i think are the areas i pierced. This caught my attention because it seems that they're not healing because they're probably turning into pores. Thats another reason why i want to get a smaller needle; something that matches the diameter of my pores.

Good luck, keep us posted..

So it's been nearly 24 hours (it's 5.30PM in the UK) and my forehead feels a bit sore (no more than that) - I made a mistake - this morning, I decided to go to my areobics class and the sweat running onto my forehead made it sting!!! Silly me! - but I have noticed an improvement in some of the scars so far - some of the smaller ones are like almost not there (apart from some red puffiness) and the bigger ones, seem about 30% smaller - RESULT!!!! And it's meant to improve with time, so I am excited! My skin looks smooth as well.

I did look a bit of a sight this morning in the aerobics class, but told people it was a bit of sunburn from som holiday..

Yes, MC - I do appreciate that I will need to do this several times - once a month is the most it should be done I have heard.

I have this amazing Vitamin C serum - It's made by Jason Cosmetics - ingredients:Complete Vitamin C complex 10% (Ester C liquid, calcium, sodim and zinc ascorbate, magnesium, Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), Green tea extract, Grape seed Extract, Vitamin A (Retynl Palmitate) ...and some other stuff - now, this is excellent for healing as all the ingredients boost collagen and protects the skin so well. I bought it in England and it cost me around £25. But it says it is made in California - no website details I'm afraid.

Will keep you all updated.

Hey Maya, where did you hear that you should only perform this procedure once a month? I've looked through the websites from the first post and the only indication that i heard when you should do it is when the wound heals up. Then i read it takes a couple of days to heal up so my guese after a week its ok. I however would wait 2 weeks. I want to do it again on wednesday which is the day i get my copper peptide cream. And thats about a week before i go home for thanks giving and i don't want my scars to be inflamed..

I have had a couple of emails from Des Fernades (he is the commercial inventor of needling - and he is a cosmetic surgeon in S.Africa) - I asked him to give me information (I asked a lot of questions)

He told me that it needs at least 1 month in between needling sessions and that you need to apply Vit C and A cream before and after for better healing. He suggested using Retina A for 3 weeks before and after treatment (but I don't want to use that) so I bought my own stuff which is really good.

Even though the scabs on the skin surfae have healed, I suspect the underlying skin tissues will take longer - also, the collagen takes some time for it to come to the surface.

I suggest you wait a while - don't overdo it, or you may make things worse.

Wow mc and Maya!

This sounds very promising! Thanks mc for sharing the at home way to do this!

You guys keep posting with an update, I'm starting to get very very interested!

Good Luck!!!

Remember, Today is the Tomorrow You Worried about Yesterday.....

Tif :)

I hope everything is goin alright with you Maya. The redness should go away after a week and your scars should be more leveled with the surrounding skin.

When i woke up this morning, i checked my face to look at how my scars were doing. My biggest scar formed some type of clear hard surface. You can't notice it by looking at it but only if you feel it. It felt like a scab but it certainly didn't look like one. It looked like normal skin. I guese this is just a sign that my skin is working to rebuild itself. I also applied %30 glycolic acid 2 days ago. I don't know if its because of that, or that it helped but i checked my other scars and they didn't form such a scab. I must honestly say that so far i am really pleased with the results. I changed my mind about doin it again this week. Instead i will do it the 2nd weekend of december. That'll be about 1 month from my last procedure.

Hi MC - it's nearly 2 days since I needled and no more to add really - some of them look improved, some are swollen in the surrounding areas - still pink/puffy - only a couple have formed scabs - and they look better than the others. Some seem not to have improved at all

I'm glad you are waiting the month to perform needling again. Better be safe.

Sounds like yours have improved quite well - I think I need to wait a week before I can say what percentage of improvement there has been.

By the way - have you checked the healthboard recently? I asked Yumi for an update - AND his scars have come back - he puts it down to him using too many facial scrubs - he said that the scabbing process is very important and not to try to heal them too quickly. I am a bit confused now.

As a recap, Yumi at healthboards.com who was a sort of pioneer with doing this with a tatoo artist, has discovered his/her(?) scars are completely back at Square 1. She (I'll just assume) believes that if you puncture yourself like this, that you cannot scrub the treated area, since this will lead to destroying the tender collagen which is rebuilding in the scar area. Therefore, all the hassle she has gone through has led to absolutely no tangible results.......

I just want to say good luck to everybody and anybody treating this since my honest to Jesus dream is that acne and especially acne scars can eventually become a disease of the past, but this seems like another one of those passing fads, much like saline injections (haven't heard about those in awhile).

Please, I know it sucks, but what's just remember: you're sticking a needle into your skin to the point where you bleed and scab.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

True, only time will tell though. Gotta be some what consistent... Piercing your skin really isn't that big of a deal. I mean if people are willing to put pharma grade acid on their skin, piercing isn't anything special.

Anyways, just to let ppl know. The redness is receeding and the skin over my scar is rough, like a scab but it doesn't look like a scab. It's just clear. I am sure to apply my Complex-C and Elicina to further help my skin's regeneration process. I will replace the use of both with this new product called Scar Fx and Neova's Night Therapy with Copper Peptides once i get them wednesday. Scar Fx also contains Copper Peptides plus a bunch of other stuff.

Copper peptides are have week bonds. Copper peptides have been known to loose their regeneration abilities when combined with certain lotions and creams.

Well, my skin has settled down now - barley any pinkness - and now what I notice is that the biggger scars are around 40% better (small holes in ice pick like scars) and the smaller ones look less pronounced.

Hope you are going well MC!

Where are you based? and how old are you? Are you female?

Me - female, 39, asian origin but been in the UK all my life.

It's been more than a week since i have last pierced myself. I must honestly say that the area i pierce smack in the middle of my forhead had smoothened out much more. Before there use to be a noticeable pit when you look from the side but now its much more even. The pit is muchj more shallow and its hard to see the indentation. It took several days for a "scab" to form. I don't use any facial srubs but i do clean my face in the shower gently with a natural skin cleanser. The scar still hasn't healed up yet. The scab feels like rough dead skin. I think will get better results the next time i do it. I just have to wait for 3 more weeks. I hope Maya has something positive to say too...

I used a normal pin type needle. I don't know the exact diameter but its just about as thick as a pin. However, the next time i do it i plan on using much thinner needles. I believe i will get better results because with a thinner needles, hopefully ones that match the size of my pores, will create more holes over the scarred region. I think it will be especially helpful because it will allow any topical treatment that i will apply after to be able to go deeper, quicker. The larger the needle, the harder it is to pick different areas to pierce because once you pierce your skin it swells and you don't know where you pierced before. Maybe i will do a combo piercing of an X amount of needles. I'm sure it would be better if someone else could do this but i don't tell anyone that i do this to my cuz it would freak them out, even my family members. My guese is that if i keep the same amount of results from each time i do this then by the 3rd or 4th time, my scar should be gone or very unoticable. Hell, i prefer this rather than laser surgery or dermabrasion which have a much longer waiting period. I mean it only took a week for the redness to go away. The only difference i guese with laser surgery or microdermabrasion with subscision needling is that instead of making a wound that extands from the bottom all the way to the top, you're just making a wound in the bottom, where the scar is. Which is the only area that is causing the problem anyways..... Just an idea that poped in my head.. I was just wondering if the needle is bent at the pointy end then maybe it would help scarp more of the scar tissue away. Since you need to twist the needle under the skin anyways. It shouldn't be anymore painful, if at all.

Eyeciss - thank you for those links - I found them very useful.

I guess subcision is pretty much the same as Needling then... what I did note was that the needles are meant to be inserted around 1cm away from the scars - I wonder how many times they are inserted??

I think next time, I may try the above method.

Yes, a finer needle would definately be better. Someone on the Saline inhjections thread said you can buy injection needles that are very fine - I will see if i can find the information.

Only a few of mine have formed scabs - they are the ones which have better results. I think the scabbing may be an important aspect of healing.

I found it hard not to try and pick the scabs off myself (before they were fully formed) I think that's why some have had no change, while the scabbed ones look better.

Eyeciss - maybe you could just try 1 scar adn see if it works well for you.

Where can you purchase intejection needles/syringes online? I've heard that you can do it on and away. Its confusing but i guese the main goal is to get at the scar tissue.

MC - I remember something on the saline injections thread about people buying needles online - I haven't got time to look through it now - but the info is on the following thread - I will try and look soon.

If you see it before I get a chance, please post. Thanks

http://pub106.ezboard.com/fabsoluteacneinf...icID=3902.topic

The discoloration that makes it look bigger will go away after a week. Just keep applying whatever vitamin serums you have at least twice a day. If you applied a wash cloth soaked in hot water then put it over your scar after you pierced it then the skin should of levels a bit.

Good luck Eyeciss... I didn't get that much improvement with mine from the last time. But it was the first time and it was more like a trial and error procedure. The next time around i'll will be more prepared. I'll have the needles and i plan to scrap the scar fibers from the upper skin tissue. Thats in three weeks. In the mean time, i scheduled an appointment with my dermatologist which will be prior to when i plan on doing it again. I'm going to ask her what I can do, such as laser etc.

To Maya, MC, etc.,

I'm thinking of trying this on only one of my scars first just to see how it would work. It seems better to go slow in case I don't react to it well.

Have any of you gotten specific instructions from one of the doctors who performs this (Dr. Fernandes in South Africa or Dr. Camirand in Canada)? If I try this I think I'd want to have some clear instructions to follow before I try and then I'd be willing to report how I did. I just could use some guidance. Wouldn't it be something if with all the extravagant and expensive lasers and peels that the answer could be in a pin?

Thanks and keep the faith,

Henry

P.S. I'm not convinced this is the same thing as subcision because everyone says this leaves a scab rather than a bruise (which is left by subcision). Also, subcision seems to be more about cutting tethered bands and the visual on the web article by Dr. Fernandes shows this to less about cutting and more about puncturing.

To be honest, i am also quite confused with subcision and needling. The last few posts had 2 sites that seemed to point out that subsicion and needling are the same procedure but Des Fernendes' site refers it solely as skin needling. I gotta figure this out before i do it next time because im not sure if i should be needling directly onto the scar or insert the needle indirectly into the scar and scrap the scar fibers. Des Fernendes' technique seems to imply that the needle is inserted through and under the scar stimulating the tissue beneath it to repair itself. Maya, since you've been in contact with Des Fernendes, do you think you can find out please?