Photo

What are some good foods

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:18 PM

Right now im eating lots of apples and staying away from a lot of sugar, dairy and other stuff unless im out in town eating with friends or shit

Is turkey ham ok? and what about bread?

thanks in advance

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:22 PM

My diet has NO dairy, NO gluten(bread, pasta, anything from wheat), NO high glycemic index foods(Brown Rice Pasta) and plenty of fruits, vegetables, fish, lean meats(Chicken breast), legumes and water.

#3 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

does chicken breast cause acne if grilled?

#4 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 04:33 PM

NOTHING you eat causes acne unless you're one of the FEW (YES, FEW) people who has food allergies that result in acne-like rashes. The average person on the street will not suddenly get acne from eating chicken, pork, etc... I guarantee you that.

#5 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 12 2004, 10:33 PM)
NOTHING you eat causes acne unless you're one of the FEW (YES, FEW) people who has food allergies that result in acne-like rashes. The average person on the street will not suddenly get acne from eating chicken, pork, etc... I guarantee you that.

View Post

...zzz...zzz...zzz...

#6 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 12 2004, 02:33 PM)

View Post

You really have a mission here, Mr. Godsent... Yeah it would have been SoOo boring without villains wink.gif I miss those threads with you and Denise2...

#7 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 12 2004, 10:33 PM)

View Post

sorry i didnt ask whether diet caused acne or not, cause i know it does. go away, your like every guy on the web that says eat w/e u want it doesnt cause acne, and use this product to clear ur acne

#8 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:16 PM

No -- I don't use any acne products. My acne cure was drinking 3 Liters of water a day; I don't get any acne if I do.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:16 AM

Yup, and how many people here would like to testify that drinking 10 or more glasses of water didn't do a dang thing for their acne????

OK, I'll be the first ;-)

Yet, I still love the way my skin looks when I do, but I don't have to drink water to rid myself of acne, my diet did that for me.

Anyway, like SteveLewis said, all of those are good foods to eat. Usually, you don't have to be afraid of animal protein unless you have your own personal reasons for it. Grilled is healthy, baked is also good. In fact you can even broil & sautee. Sometimes I eat fried foods (cooked in olive oil), but it's definately not on a daily basis. However if you are going to eat these meats just make sure that they aren't processed/refined..fresh is best, but I usually do frozen. If you chose to use lunchmeats, get them from an organic store as they will be free of nitrates, sugars, and wheat additives.

If you are wanting more bulk, I would eat more gluten-free grains such as rice, buckwheat (not a real grain), corn, quinoa, amaranth, & millet. However, usually you'll see most of us around here only consuming rice, corn, buckwheat (&/or oats). Legumes, nuts, and seeds can also help fill you up, but....some of us have problems with nuts & legumes so you may want to try soaking/sprouting them first to be on the safe side (helps with digestion).

From what I've noticed and seen in the food allergen/intolerance list (as these foods may cause additional health problems) vegetables are rarely the "bad" guys. Outside of Nightshades (potato, tomato, eggplant, cucumber, peppers) I can't recall hearing anything bad about any of them...so eat as many types as you like. Oh and especially consume the green ones, and the cruciferous (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower,etc) ones. If you eat tomatos, you should eat them usually cooked as this makes them more easy to digest and boosts their healing power!

Say, how long have you been following this diet and what results have you seen thus far?

Best Wishes

#10 l33tpete

l33tpete

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:12 AM

hey sweetjade, how are pasta and potatoes bad for you? i don't mean french fries or the ravioli in the can, which i know is loaded with additives, but the raw potatoes and pasta you cook at home. Btw, in your opinion, can acne be considered an "allergic" reaction, cuz i've never considered acne to be an allergic symptom for anything.

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(l33tpete @ Nov 13 2004, 02:12 AM)
hey sweetjade, how are pasta and potatoes bad for you?  i don't mean french fries or the ravioli in the can, which i know is loaded with additives, but the raw potatoes and pasta you cook at home.    Btw, in your opinion, can acne be considered an "allergic" reaction, cuz i've never considered acne to be an allergic symptom for anything.

View Post

Well, I don't consider potatoes bad for me, but others around here do. Their reasoning is due to it's starch content or due to it being a nightshade. Nightshades can aggrivate rheumatoid arthritis, thus it contributes to inflammation. It's very interesting because rheumatoid arthritis is associated with androgen disorders so there's a connection for some people. There's a diet I've posted around here called the "Evil" Lectin Free Diet and avoidance of Nightshades is listed. I can't recall if nightshades were essential for acne elimination, but I do recall that for those that avoided them as a last resort, it got rid of their oily skin or dandruff.

As for pasta, bread, cereal, and other grain products it's due to either their glycemic load/index, their amylose starch content (the less the higher glycemic), or due to them containing a problematic protein. Sometimes it's just an allergic reaction and other times it can be due to an intolerance to gluten protein. Now the interesting thing with gluten is that it can act as an "insulin mimicker". In what way this would affect someone with hyperinsulinemia or insulin resistance, I can't say for certain, but if you haven't noticed hyperinsulinemia can lead to hyperandrogenism, which can lead to acne as one of several possible symptoms.

Oh and, more specificially gluten includes ALL varieties of Wheat (durum, semolina, cous cous, matza, seitan, spelt, kamut, etc), Barely, Rye, (and oats). Therefore, you can still eat pasta, it just can't be made with any of the above ;-)

As for wether acne is considered an allergy, that would depend on the type of acne you get. I've noticed lately that I'm consuming something and it's gotta be from the resturant food I'm eating, that I occasionally end up with a few tiny red bumps spread out on my arms, back, legs, and sometimes face. Can't for the life of me tell you what it is, but they go away within a few days. It's a very different type of acne from anything I've ever had and this is something you may begin to notice over time on these diets, that certain foods may give you very specific types of acne and sometimes in specfic areas. Yet an allergy is classified as something red, inflammed, itchy and occurs within minutes or hours after contact with the allergen.

The other option is that you can be intolerant to something. This basically means that you are unable to digest a particular food properly due to having, usually a defficient enzyme, and your reactions can very (bloating, gas, cramping, rash), but are usually delayed by several hours or days. While I've tested negative for gluten intolerance, avoidance still worked for me. Supposedly Type B & Type O Blood types (my dad & me) are supposed to avoid gluten & problematic lectins (for their type) as this increases their chance of getting Insulin Resistance or worse Type II Diabetes. I've also found studies that have implicated gluten intolerance with worsening both types of diabetes. Not to mention in terms of grains, wheat is more likely to increase your risk of diabetes, heart disease, hyperandrogenism (basically all disorders of Insulin Resistance), than rice will!

I suppose this is why for Type II Diabetics they consider them to be Glucose/Carbohydrate Intolerant because their bodies aren't able to handle carbohydrate metabolism effeciently enough. Insulin Resistance is the first precursor to Type II Diabetes, and ALL type II diabetics are insulin resistant. There's several stages before you become a Type II Diabetic and if not taken care of properly, you can go on to become a Type I Diabetic. Interestingly Type II is the most prevelant (90% of cases) and is the more serious, yet is classified as "preventable" as it can greatly improve with lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep). When it comes to detecting this problem they still don't have a good enough system, or rather they still don't know at what point they should sound the alarm to their patients. They have set sugar levels, but even that doesn't explain how these diets & the insulin sensitizing drugs & supplements are working for people that are deemed "not insulin resistant". I suppose that is because for those that are insulin resistant (and you go through this temporarily during puberty), there are varying degrees of severity. My former endocrinologist tested me for this, but he NEVER told me what my results were all he said was that I was either Insulin Resistant or PCOS (which can stem from Insulin Resistance). Although my dad's side of the family has a few type IIs, so I probably do have a mild form of it, and perhaps that's why I don't fit "the mold" and it could be why I'm experiencing other symptoms that are less frequent with this syndrome.

Also, unofficially acne is being called Skin Diabetes, so I guess maybe this is what some of us have. Although, clincally I have HAIR-AN Syndrome which means Hyperandrogenism, Insulin Resistance, an Acanthosis Negricans. Basically because Insulin Resistance is usually asymptomatic for many many many years slowly worsening until some people become Type II Diabetics (not all will become diabetic), Acanthosis is thought to be the only warning sign. Yet if you have other skin disorders, like acne or hirsutism, during those "asymptomatic" years, I would say that they are also your warning signs. Anyway this was way more than you asked for, but these are some of the reasons that you'll see us avoiding certain foods, specifically particular grains, like wheat.

Have a great day =)

#12 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:37 AM

The truth:

If you want to follow and "acne" diet listed by someone else, it will fail. Some people claim that certain things trigger certain things in them; fine. Their cases are unique.

The truth x 2:

People that start becoming paranoid about diet and wondering, "Will this cupcake give me acne," will lower their quality of life.

#13 themaster

themaster

Remember to shave regularly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Nov 13 2004, 07:11 AM)
Well, I don't consider potatoes bad for me, but others around here do.  Their reasoning is due to it's starch content or due to it being a nightshade.  Nightshades can aggrivate rheumatoid arthritis, thus it contributes to inflammation.  It's very interesting because rheumatoid arthritis is associated with androgen disorders so there's a connection for some people.  There's a diet I've posted around here called the "Evil" Lectin Free Diet and avoidance of Nightshades is listed.  I can't recall if nightshades were essential for acne elimination, but I do recall that for those that avoided them as a last resort, it got rid of their oily skin or dandruff.

As for pasta, bread, cereal, and other grain products it's due to either their glycemic load/index, their amylose starch content (the less the higher glycemic), or due to them containing a problematic protein.  Sometimes it's just an allergic reaction and other times it can be due to an intolerance to gluten protein.  Now the interesting thing with gluten is that it can act as an "insulin mimicker".  In what way this would affect someone with hyperinsulinemia or insulin resistance, I can't say for certain, but if you haven't noticed hyperinsulinemia can lead to hyperandrogenism, which can lead to acne as one of several possible symptoms.

Oh and, more specificially gluten includes ALL varieties of Wheat (durum, semolina, cous cous, matza, seitan, spelt, kamut, etc), Barely, Rye, (and oats).  Therefore, you can still eat pasta, it just can't be made with any of the above ;-)

As for wether acne is considered an allergy, that would depend on the type of acne you get.  I've noticed lately that I'm consuming something and it's gotta be from the resturant food I'm eating, that I occasionally end up with a few tiny red bumps spread out on my arms, back, legs, and sometimes face.  Can't for the life of me tell you what it is, but they go away within a few days.  It's a very different type of acne from anything I've ever had and this is something you may begin to notice over time on these diets, that certain foods may give you very specific types of acne and sometimes in specfic areas.  Yet an allergy is classified as something red, inflammed, itchy and occurs within minutes or hours after contact with the allergen.

The other option is that you can be intolerant to something. This basically means that you are unable to digest a particular food properly due to having, usually a defficient enzyme, and your reactions can very (bloating, gas, cramping, rash), but are usually delayed by several hours or days.  While I've tested negative for gluten intolerance, avoidance still worked for me.  Supposedly Type B & Type O Blood types (my dad & me) are supposed to avoid gluten & problematic lectins (for their type) as this increases their chance of getting Insulin Resistance or worse Type II Diabetes.  I've also found studies that have implicated gluten intolerance with worsening both types of diabetes.  Not to mention in terms of grains, wheat is more likely to increase your risk of diabetes, heart disease, hyperandrogenism (basically all disorders of Insulin Resistance), than rice will! 

I suppose this is why for Type II Diabetics they consider them to be Glucose/Carbohydrate Intolerant because their bodies aren't able to handle carbohydrate metabolism effeciently enough.  Insulin Resistance is the first precursor to Type II Diabetes, and ALL type II diabetics are insulin resistant.  There's several stages before you become a Type II Diabetic and if not taken care of properly, you can go on to become a Type I Diabetic.  Interestingly Type II is the most prevelant (90% of cases) and is the more serious, yet is classified as "preventable" as it can greatly improve with lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep).  When it comes to detecting this problem they still don't have a good enough system, or rather they still don't know at what point they should sound the alarm to their patients.  They have set sugar levels, but even that doesn't explain how these diets & the insulin sensitizing drugs & supplements are working for people that are deemed "not insulin resistant".  I suppose that is because for those that are insulin resistant (and you go through this temporarily during puberty), there are varying degrees of severity.  My former endocrinologist tested me for this, but he NEVER told me what my results were all he said was that I was either Insulin Resistant or PCOS (which can stem from Insulin Resistance).  Although my dad's side of the family has a few type IIs, so I probably do have a mild form of it, and perhaps that's why I don't fit "the mold" and it could be why I'm experiencing other symptoms that are less frequent with this syndrome.

Also, unofficially acne is being called Skin Diabetes, so I guess maybe this is what some of us have.  Although, clincally I have HAIR-AN Syndrome which means Hyperandrogenism, Insulin Resistance, an Acanthosis Negricans.  Basically because Insulin Resistance is usually asymptomatic for many many many years slowly worsening until some people become Type II Diabetics  (not all will become diabetic), Acanthosis is thought to be the only warning sign.  Yet if you have other skin disorders, like acne or hirsutism, during those "asymptomatic" years, I would say that they are also your warning signs. Anyway this was way more than you asked for, but these are some of the reasons that you'll see us avoiding certain foods, specifically particular grains, like wheat.

Have a great day  =)

View Post

shock.gif was that a research paper?

#14 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:14 PM

Grilled is healthy, baked is also good. In fact you can even broil & sautee. Sometimes I eat fried foods (cooked in olive oil), but it's definately not on a daily basis.

How exactly do you broil and sautee meat? Also, I don't have a grill but I would like to learn more about grilling and how it's healthier than frying. Anyone have any advice as to where to obtain a good portable grill that's not too expensive and not too hard to clean?

#15 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Nov 13 2004, 11:14 AM)
Anyone have any advice as to where to obtain a good portable grill that's not too expensive and not too hard to clean?

View Post

http://store.yahoo.c...coms/25219.html

http://store.yahoo.c...ms/gr10abw.html

#16 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Tracy76567 @ Nov 13 2004, 12:33 PM)

Indeed, I did some research and found plenty too. I was just wondering whether anyone had any personal experience with a good model they'd like to share.

#17 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Nov 13 2004, 11:56 AM)
Indeed, I did some research and found plenty too. I was just wondering whether anyone had any personal experience with a good model they'd like to share.

View Post

I have a Hamilton Beach grill and I love it. I use it constantly.

#18 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Tracy76567 @ Nov 13 2004, 02:19 PM)
I have a Hamilton Beach grill and I love it.  I use it constantly.

View Post

The model in the link you provided?

#19 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 13 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Nov 13 2004, 01:22 PM)
The model in the link you provided?

View Post

No, mine's a bit larger than that. It was like $30. Prolly the wisest investment I've made in a long time.

#20 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 13 2004, 10:37 AM)
The truth:

If you want to follow and "acne" diet listed by someone else, it will fail. Some people claim that certain things trigger certain things in them; fine. Their cases are unique.

The truth x 2:

People that start becoming paranoid about diet and wondering, "Will this cupcake give me acne," will lower their quality of life.

View Post

The Truth:

My quality of life has IMPROVED. I can actually wear clothes that I couldn't wear before because I had body acne (do you how BAD that feels when your a woman?)

I don't stress or worry over anything, plus my skin looks amazing! I'm Happy =)

Oh and it's all about the research:

1: Smith R, Mann N, Makelainen H, Braue A, Varigos G. Related Articles, Links
The effect of short-term altered macronutrient status on acne vulgaris and biochemical markers of insulin sensitivity.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13(Suppl):S67.
PMID: 15294556 [PubMed - in process]

2: Omar HA, Logsdon S, Richards J. Related Articles, Links
Clinical profiles, occurrence, and management of adolescent patients with HAIR-AN syndrome.
ScientificWorldJournal. 2004 Jul 08;4:507-11.
PMID: 15258677 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Tallab TM. Related Articles, Links
Beliefs, perceptions and psychological impact of acne vulgaris among patients in the Assir region of Saudi Arabia.
West Afr J Med. 2004 Jan-Mar;23(1):85-7.
PMID: 15171537 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Kendall SN. Related Articles, Links
Remission of rosacea induced by reduction of gut transit time.
Clin Exp Dermatol. 2004 May;29(3):297-9.
PMID: 15115515 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: De Leo V, la Marca A, Petraglia F. Related Articles, Links
Insulin-lowering agents in the management of polycystic ovary syndrome.
Endocr Rev. 2003 Oct;24(5):633-67. Review.
PMID: 14570747 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Cordain L, Eades MR, Eades MD. Related Articles, Links
Hyperinsulinemic diseases of civilization: more than just Syndrome X.
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2003 Sep;136(1):95-112. Review.
PMID: 14527633 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7: Al-Hoqail IA. Related Articles, Links
Knowledge, beliefs and perception of youth toward acne vulgaris.
Saudi Med J. 2003 Jul;24(7):765-8.
PMID: 12883611 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8: Treloar V. Related Articles, Links
Diet and acne redux.
Arch Dermatol. 2003 Jul;139(7):941; author reply 942-3. No abstract available.
PMID: 12873900 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9: Bershad S. Related Articles, Links
The unwelcome return of the acne diet.
Arch Dermatol. 2003 Jul;139(7):940-1. No abstract available.
PMID: 12873898 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10: Chiu A, Chon SY, Kimball AB. Related Articles, Links
The response of skin disease to stress: changes in the severity of acne vulgaris as affected by examination stress.
Arch Dermatol. 2003 Jul;139(7):897-900.
PMID: 12873885 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11: Kazerooni T, Dehghan-Kooshkghazi M. Related Articles, Links
Effects of metformin therapy on hyperandrogenism in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Gynecol Endocrinol. 2003 Feb;17(1):51-6.
PMID: 12724019 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12: Thiboutot DM, Strauss JS. Related Articles, Links
Diet and acne revisited.
Arch Dermatol. 2002 Dec;138(12):1591-2. No abstract available.
PMID: 12472347 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13: Cordain L, Lindeberg S, Hurtado M, Hill K, Eaton SB, Brand-Miller J. Related Articles, Links
Acne vulgaris: a disease of Western civilization.
Arch Dermatol. 2002 Dec;138(12):1584-90.
PMID: 12472346 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14: Foussard-blanpin O, Paillot-renaud P, Bruneau-bigot A. Related Articles, Links
[Oral contraception: failures and risks]
Lyon Pharm. 1984 Nov;35(6):385-93. French.
PMID: 12280590 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

15: Lehmann HP, Robinson KA, Andrews JS, Holloway V, Goodman SN. Related Articles, Links
Acne therapy: a methodologic review.
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002 Aug;47(2):231-40. Review.
PMID: 12140469 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

16: Moore DE. Related Articles, Links
Drug-induced cutaneous photosensitivity: incidence, mechanism, prevention and management.
Drug Saf. 2002;25(5):345-72. Review.
PMID: 12020173 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17: Zouboulis CC. Related Articles, Links
Retinoids--which dermatological indications will benefit in the near future?Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol. 2001 Sep-Oct;14(5):303-15. Review.
PMID: 11586072 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

18: Lalla JK, Nandedkar SY, Paranjape MH, Talreja NB. Related Articles, Links
Clinical trials of ayurvedic formulations in the treatment of acne vulgaris.J Ethnopharmacol. 2001 Nov;78(1):99-102.
PMID: 11585696 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

19: Norman RJ, Kidson WJ, Cuneo RC, Zacharin MR. Related Articles, Links
Metformin and intervention in polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrine Society of Australia, the Australian Diabetes Society and the Australian Paediatric Endocrine Group.Med J Aust. 2001 Jun 4;174(11):580-3.
PMID: 11453331 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

20: Goldman D. Related Articles, Links
Tacrolimus ointment for the treatment of steroid-induced rosacea: a preliminary report.
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001 Jun;44(6):995-8.
PMID: 11369912 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This is just the first page of 141 studies that popped up under "diet acne" (no quotes) search terms in Pubmed!

Of course, you take a few key terms from the above studies such as IGF-1, Insulin, SHBG, HDL, Cytokines, Free Testosterone, Androgen, DHT, 5-alpha reductase and mix them up together and/or link them to diet (fat, protein, gluten, carbs, sugars, trans fats) and see how many other acne relevant studies show up.