Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some good foods

34 posts in this topic

Right now im eating lots of apples and staying away from a lot of sugar, dairy and other stuff unless im out in town eating with friends or shit

Is turkey ham ok? and what about bread?

thanks in advance

My diet has NO dairy, NO gluten(bread, pasta, anything from wheat), NO high glycemic index foods(Brown Rice Pasta) and plenty of fruits, vegetables, fish, lean meats(Chicken breast), legumes and water.

does chicken breast cause acne if grilled?

NOTHING you eat causes acne unless you're one of the FEW (YES, FEW) people who has food allergies that result in acne-like rashes. The average person on the street will not suddenly get acne from eating chicken, pork, etc... I guarantee you that.

NOTHING you eat causes acne unless you're one of the FEW (YES, FEW) people who has food allergies that result in acne-like rashes. The average person on the street will not suddenly get acne from eating chicken, pork, etc... I guarantee you that.

No -- I don't use any acne products. My acne cure was drinking 3 Liters of water a day; I don't get any acne if I do.

Yup, and how many people here would like to testify that drinking 10 or more glasses of water didn't do a dang thing for their acne????

OK, I'll be the first ;-)

Yet, I still love the way my skin looks when I do, but I don't have to drink water to rid myself of acne, my diet did that for me.

Anyway, like SteveLewis said, all of those are good foods to eat. Usually, you don't have to be afraid of animal protein unless you have your own personal reasons for it. Grilled is healthy, baked is also good. In fact you can even broil & sautee. Sometimes I eat fried foods (cooked in olive oil), but it's definately not on a daily basis. However if you are going to eat these meats just make sure that they aren't processed/refined..fresh is best, but I usually do frozen. If you chose to use lunchmeats, get them from an organic store as they will be free of nitrates, sugars, and wheat additives.

If you are wanting more bulk, I would eat more gluten-free grains such as rice, buckwheat (not a real grain), corn, quinoa, amaranth, & millet. However, usually you'll see most of us around here only consuming rice, corn, buckwheat (&/or oats). Legumes, nuts, and seeds can also help fill you up, but....some of us have problems with nuts & legumes so you may want to try soaking/sprouting them first to be on the safe side (helps with digestion).

From what I've noticed and seen in the food allergen/intolerance list (as these foods may cause additional health problems) vegetables are rarely the "bad" guys. Outside of Nightshades (potato, tomato, eggplant, cucumber, peppers) I can't recall hearing anything bad about any of them...so eat as many types as you like. Oh and especially consume the green ones, and the cruciferous (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower,etc) ones. If you eat tomatos, you should eat them usually cooked as this makes them more easy to digest and boosts their healing power!

Say, how long have you been following this diet and what results have you seen thus far?

Best Wishes

hey sweetjade, how are pasta and potatoes bad for you? i don't mean french fries or the ravioli in the can, which i know is loaded with additives, but the raw potatoes and pasta you cook at home. Btw, in your opinion, can acne be considered an "allergic" reaction, cuz i've never considered acne to be an allergic symptom for anything.

hey sweetjade, how are pasta and potatoes bad for you?  i don't mean french fries or the ravioli in the can, which i know is loaded with additives, but the raw potatoes and pasta you cook at home.    Btw, in your opinion, can acne be considered an "allergic" reaction, cuz i've never considered acne to be an allergic symptom for anything.

The truth:

If you want to follow and "acne" diet listed by someone else, it will fail. Some people claim that certain things trigger certain things in them; fine. Their cases are unique.

The truth x 2:

People that start becoming paranoid about diet and wondering, "Will this cupcake give me acne," will lower their quality of life.

Well, I don't consider potatoes bad for me, but others around here do.  Their reasoning is due to it's starch content or due to it being a nightshade.  Nightshades can aggrivate rheumatoid arthritis, thus it contributes to inflammation.  It's very interesting because rheumatoid arthritis is associated with androgen disorders so there's a connection for some people.  There's a diet I've posted around here called the "Evil" Lectin Free Diet and avoidance of Nightshades is listed.  I can't recall if nightshades were essential for acne elimination, but I do recall that for those that avoided them as a last resort, it got rid of their oily skin or dandruff.

As for pasta, bread, cereal, and other grain products it's due to either their glycemic load/index, their amylose starch content (the less the higher glycemic), or due to them containing a problematic protein.  Sometimes it's just an allergic reaction and other times it can be due to an intolerance to gluten protein.  Now the interesting thing with gluten is that it can act as an "insulin mimicker".  In what way this would affect someone with hyperinsulinemia or insulin resistance, I can't say for certain, but if you haven't noticed hyperinsulinemia can lead to hyperandrogenism, which can lead to acne as one of several possible symptoms.

Oh and, more specificially gluten includes ALL varieties of Wheat (durum, semolina, cous cous, matza, seitan, spelt, kamut, etc), Barely, Rye, (and oats).  Therefore, you can still eat pasta, it just can't be made with any of the above ;-)

As for wether acne is considered an allergy, that would depend on the type of acne you get.  I've noticed lately that I'm consuming something and it's gotta be from the resturant food I'm eating, that I occasionally end up with a few tiny red bumps spread out on my arms, back, legs, and sometimes face.  Can't for the life of me tell you what it is, but they go away within a few days.  It's a very different type of acne from anything I've ever had and this is something you may begin to notice over time on these diets, that certain foods may give you very specific types of acne and sometimes in specfic areas.  Yet an allergy is classified as something red, inflammed, itchy and occurs within minutes or hours after contact with the allergen.

The other option is that you can be intolerant to something. This basically means that you are unable to digest a particular food properly due to having, usually a defficient enzyme, and your reactions can very (bloating, gas, cramping, rash), but are usually delayed by several hours or days.  While I've tested negative for gluten intolerance, avoidance still worked for me.  Supposedly Type B & Type O Blood types (my dad & me) are supposed to avoid gluten & problematic lectins (for their type) as this increases their chance of getting Insulin Resistance or worse Type II Diabetes.  I've also found studies that have implicated gluten intolerance with worsening both types of diabetes.  Not to mention in terms of grains, wheat is more likely to increase your risk of diabetes, heart disease, hyperandrogenism (basically all disorders of Insulin Resistance), than rice will! 

I suppose this is why for Type II Diabetics they consider them to be Glucose/Carbohydrate Intolerant because their bodies aren't able to handle carbohydrate metabolism effeciently enough.  Insulin Resistance is the first precursor to Type II Diabetes, and ALL type II diabetics are insulin resistant.  There's several stages before you become a Type II Diabetic and if not taken care of properly, you can go on to become a Type I Diabetic.  Interestingly Type II is the most prevelant (90% of cases) and is the more serious, yet is classified as "preventable" as it can greatly improve with lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep).  When it comes to detecting this problem they still don't have a good enough system, or rather they still don't know at what point they should sound the alarm to their patients.  They have set sugar levels, but even that doesn't explain how these diets & the insulin sensitizing drugs & supplements are working for people that are deemed "not insulin resistant".  I suppose that is because for those that are insulin resistant (and you go through this temporarily during puberty), there are varying degrees of severity.  My former endocrinologist tested me for this, but he NEVER told me what my results were all he said was that I was either Insulin Resistant or PCOS (which can stem from Insulin Resistance).  Although my dad's side of the family has a few type IIs, so I probably do have a mild form of it, and perhaps that's why I don't fit "the mold" and it could be why I'm experiencing other symptoms that are less frequent with this syndrome.

Also, unofficially acne is being called Skin Diabetes, so I guess maybe this is what some of us have.  Although, clincally I have HAIR-AN Syndrome which means Hyperandrogenism, Insulin Resistance, an Acanthosis Negricans.  Basically because Insulin Resistance is usually asymptomatic for many many many years slowly worsening until some people become Type II Diabetics  (not all will become diabetic), Acanthosis is thought to be the only warning sign.  Yet if you have other skin disorders, like acne or hirsutism, during those "asymptomatic" years, I would say that they are also your warning signs. Anyway this was way more than you asked for, but these are some of the reasons that you'll see us avoiding certain foods, specifically particular grains, like wheat.

Have a great day  =)

Grilled is healthy, baked is also good. In fact you can even broil & sautee. Sometimes I eat fried foods (cooked in olive oil), but it's definately not on a daily basis.

How exactly do you broil and sautee meat? Also, I don't have a grill but I would like to learn more about grilling and how it's healthier than frying. Anyone have any advice as to where to obtain a good portable grill that's not too expensive and not too hard to clean?

Anyone have any advice as to where to obtain a good portable grill that's not too expensive and not too hard to clean?

Indeed, I did some research and found plenty too. I was just wondering whether anyone had any personal experience with a good model they'd like to share.

The truth:

If you want to follow and "acne" diet listed by someone else, it will fail. Some people claim that certain things trigger certain things in them; fine. Their cases are unique.

The truth x 2:

People that start becoming paranoid about diet and wondering, "Will this cupcake give me acne," will lower their quality of life.

No, mine's a bit larger than that.  It was like $30.  Prolly the wisest investment I've made in a long time.

Awesome thanks for the links.  Say what other wise investments have you come across, a blender, juicer, rice cooker?

Thanxs

My treadmill.  It sits in my room.....staring at me......every day......until I get on it.  It's relentless!!   razz.gif

damn sweetjade, you blow me away with your posts....you know your stuff shock.gif

While I've tested negative for gluten intolerance, avoidance still worked for me. Supposedly Type B & Type O Blood types (my dad & me) are supposed to avoid gluten & problematic lectins (for their type) as this increases their chance of getting Insulin Resistance or worse Type II Diabetes.