Photo

FAQ - Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation

chemical peel tca aha alpha hydroxy acid red mark makeup hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#21 YoungJaeRome

YoungJaeRome

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ive been on Dans regimen for about 3 months and my acne is clearing but i still have ALOT of red marks left behind. I went to see a doctor about it and he said it was irritation under the skin. I was wondering is the BP is making it stay around and if i should use less.

#22 kkofthemilkyway

kkofthemilkyway

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

Everyone is saying that the proactive bp lotion made their hyperpigmentation worse. On the contrary, it seemed to fade all of my hyperpigmentation. Granted, initially it made the spots a little redder, but within a matter of days it always seemed to fade them all away.

Hperpigmentation sucks. The assuring thing is that with time, the spots will fade. It's really hard to be patient, though. sad.gif

#23 somekidlol

somekidlol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(fthea118 @ May 30 2006, 10:37 PM) View Post
I am pretty confident that BP does make red marks much worse. When I wasn't using as much BP that is suggestd by Dan (when I was on Proactiv), I was staying clear and I hardly ever had any red marks, they would only be there for maybe a week or two at the most and then they would go away. Since I have been on BP, I have had the same mark for over a month and a half without much fading. Can someone tell me the costs for the different laser treatments?

I would recommend doing a microdermabraison treatment. It costs around 75 dollars and is amazing. It helps with wrinkles, scars, acne, and blemishes and much more. Also the best thing about it is the fact that any medication you use that day on your face does double the work.

#24 dragonite

dragonite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:34 AM

I have hyperpigmentation around my lips and it's purty annoying.

I bought a green-bottle liquid thing with Kojic acid but it don't seem to help that much...

I recently started using Neutrogena Facial Lotion AHA with SPF.

And my doctor prescribed me "Triluma."

Should I buy the Triluma? I heard it's expensive... and does Triluma work? It has more than 1 active ingredient to get rid of hyperpigmentation?

I have hyperpigmentation around my lips and it's purty annoying.

I bought a green-bottle liquid thing with Kojic acid but it don't seem to help that much...

I recently started using Neutrogena Facial Lotion AHA with SPF.

And my doctor prescribed me "Triluma."

Should I buy the Triluma? I heard it's expensive... and does Triluma work? It has more than 1 active ingredient to get rid of hyperpigmentation?

#25 NoNos

NoNos

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(joonthebaboon @ Dec 18 2007, 05:34 AM) View Post

I have a prescription for Triluma too. Yes, it is very expensive!!! Mine was 100.00 for a 30g tube. It was considered cosmetic for me, so it wasn't covered by ins. Maybe if yours isn't considered cosmetic it won't be so much? You're supposed to work up to a pea sized bit, and that's for your enitre face. I filled my first script about a year ago and the 1st tube lasted about 2.5 months or so. I can't remember how long I waited until I filled the script again, but I wasn't really seeing any difference in my discoloration so I stopped using it and went back in for a "nurse visit". I was told you're not supposed to use Triluma for more than a couple of months at a time then break for a month or so anyway. She told me to wait until Winter when I wouldn't be in the sun so much, then give it another try. Results take longer than the time I had used it, so that's probably why I didn't really notice a difference. The biggest thing I notice was how drying it was. You'll need to moisturize extra well. It can also sting and give you a bit of reddness depending on how sensitive your skin is to begin with.

I haven't refilled it again yet. But if I do I'll be sure to note my progress here!

Good luck!

#26 dragonite

dragonite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

I have a prescription for Triluma too. Yes, it is very expensive!!! Mine was 100.00 for a 30g tube. It was considered cosmetic for me, so it wasn't covered by ins. Maybe if yours isn't considered cosmetic it won't be so much? You're supposed to work up to a pea sized bit, and that's for your enitre face. I filled my first script about a year ago and the 1st tube lasted about 2.5 months or so. I can't remember how long I waited until I filled the script again, but I wasn't really seeing any difference in my discoloration so I stopped using it and went back in for a "nurse visit". I was told you're not supposed to use Triluma for more than a couple of months at a time then break for a month or so anyway. She told me to wait until Winter when I wouldn't be in the sun so much, then give it another try. Results take longer than the time I had used it, so that's probably why I didn't really notice a difference. The biggest thing I notice was how drying it was. You'll need to moisturize extra well. It can also sting and give you a bit of reddness depending on how sensitive your skin is to begin with.

I haven't refilled it again yet. But if I do I'll be sure to note my progress here!

Good luck!

Thx for the info. Yeah, I think Triluma will be my last resort for my hyperpigmentation.

I'm going to try AHA with Hydroquinone first. I heard that works real well.

Keep us updated.

#27 Sushi891

Sushi891

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Wow! I can't believe so many people are going through the same PIH problem as me. I am currently using Tri-Luma to get rid of my dark spots left by acne. It's definitely, but slowly working. However it was extremely expensive. It's a very slow process. I'll keep you guys updated, as I started using it two-three weeks now.

jan19th - it's a bit lighter, not so much. i used a little bit too much one night and i didn't know tri-luma was very concentrated so now it's a bit red. waiting for the redness to subside before using it again.
Morning:
1. Wash face with Basic Calming Soap
2. Duac Topical Gel
3. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion (noncomedogenic)

Night:
1. Wash face with Basic Calming Soap
2. Retin-A Micro Pump

#28 Nutrition Nut

Nutrition Nut

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Lexia @ Oct 8 2006, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoping someone can answer this for me.
Ive been on roaccutane for a month now and during this month it has made 97% of my pimples go down, so i have all these small red spots ALL over my cheeks and chin. I'm not seeing the derm for a while so im wondering if i should take it apon myself to find a good redspot treatment whilst still on roacc. Is this a bad idea? I want to start treating the spots asap but im not sure if i should let roacc do all the work (i still dont know if tane helps with red spots). What do you guys think???

As tempting as it may be, I would wait until you are finished with your current treatment of Roaccutane. I would look for a well formulated moisturizer with a good amount of antioxidants and water binding agents. I had great luck with a green tea/caffeine serum which helps to reduce inflammation and redness and then used continuous rescue antioxidant moisturizer from Clinique over the green tea serum.

Green Tea/Caffeine Replenishing Cream
http://www.skindimen...w-caffeine.aspx

#29 leepinglizards

leepinglizards

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (SummerLuv @ May 7 2007, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (reOowSEXtasy @ Feb 13 2007, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Lexia @ Oct 9 2006, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoping someone can answer this for me.
Ive been on roaccutane for a month now and during this month it has made 97% of my pimples go down, so i have all these small red spots ALL over my cheeks and chin. I'm not seeing the derm for a while so im wondering if i should take it apon myself to find a good redspot treatment whilst still on roacc. Is this a bad idea? I want to start treating the spots asap but im not sure if i should let roacc do all the work (i still dont know if tane helps with red spots). What do you guys think???

heyy Lexia I also havve tha same problem and want to treat my my pigmentation red mark thingys man are they pissing me off yerr i was on roaccutane for 3-4 monthz then got taken off it coz of depression and im not seeing my derm 4 a whiile either I also want a spot treatment I heard 100% aloe vera gell is supposed to be good havnt tried it myself yett .. any suggestions any one ??

` ªмуу ьαььίί_.˚

hey guys..
first of all, I'm in my 3rd month of Accutane .. and my derm gave me two products (AHA-CONCEPT AHA CREME 5% pH 3.5) & (Remederm Face Cream) They're both 'Louis Widmer' .. and wat i have to do is mix both creams on my hand and apply them on my red spots, scars, etc .. before i go to bed .. i've been doin that for about 2 weeks and the red spots didnt seem to fade... its a shame cuz i spent around $45 for those two creams!! ..... any sucess stories in gettin rid of rep spots anyone?? ;/

I went to go see my dermatologist before he prescribed retin-a micro and doryx and when I told him I was using aloe vera on my skin he told me, "That does do anything". Retin-A has helped with hyperpigmentation though the IB is terrible. Also I guess using a triple antibiotic cream after popping one works for me. I am trying to lay off the popping though it's really hard since this IB is killing me!

#30 Scar_face

Scar_face

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

How long does it normally take for these marks to fade?

#31 spoofy

spoofy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

Firstly, thank you frances - well laid out FAQ about PIH.
Another good read -
http://www.brownskin...gmentation.html

However I'm still not sure of the differences between Macules and PIH.
A couple months ago a large pimple didn't surface up properly, broke up inside the skin (I didn't feel it though) causing trauma and left a dark mark which is really slowly healing. (it looks like it will take a few more months).
Is this PIH or Macule ?

I'm currently doing light treatments which improve the mark quicker, but am wondering if I should approach it as PIH and see my doctor about perscribing 4% Hydroquinone.

Scar_face : Depends on the mark, I think we are usually talking in months.
Even if you're using treatments to speed it up, it will still take more than a month to completly heal.

#32 I_love_myself

I_love_myself

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

What if you have brown scars? Will they disappear as well?

#33 spoofy

spoofy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (I_love_myself @ Jun 10 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What if you have brown scars? Will they disappear as well?

I still have the brown mark after 2 month, about a chunk of 20% of it has healed, it's a bit lighter but still dark enough not to look like a scar.
It becomes clearer to me what's this scar is about, I had acne which didn't surface up and that damaged the sorrounding skin tissue.
It's not like getting cut from a blade, or even getting burned - the damage is more severe and there are thousand of layers that need to regenerate.
my beauty therapist told me it takes around a year for the whole thing to heal, unfortunately there is no magic pill/cream that makes your skin heal faster, the scar is too deep.

If it was just hyperpigmentation, you basically use something that destroy the skin layers that are darkened, and then your body regenerate new and healthy skin layers.

I don't know how severe your scar is, but if you monitor it every week (take photos), you can compare the rate of improvement to give you an idea.

#34 iamnotemo

iamnotemo

Hi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for this information
"I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone."

#35 Seabass

Seabass

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

If you pick at a lesion and the scab comes off leaving a pinkish spot, what is the best way to make this spot heal to normal skin color and not brown? Is there anything I can put on it?
Regimen-Face
Wash with CeraVe AM and PM
Neutrogena 3-in-1 Hydrating Stress Control AM
Ziana PM

Regimen-Back
Acne.org BP
Acne.org AHA
(used in conjunction nightly)

#36 janus

janus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:56 AM

I have one smale spot on my cheek, and I pretty sure it was coursed by CP
since it came shortly after using it.
thanks for all the good info wink.gif
you can save $5 at iHerb,com by using coupon KIX143 ore any other code for that matter, they all work the same .

#37 Jostle

Jostle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

I have this redish brown spot on my cheek from when I tried to pop a pimple. The pimple was deep so I could not get it and I think the trauma caused by the pressure I put on my skin caused the change in color. Since then (2 months ago) I have had a hard time looking at my face. It annoys me so much to see that the spot will not go away. I have repetedly tried to scratch the spot away and have made it scab a couple of times because I have gotten so angry. It usually scabs and then goes back to the same color or worse. I know it is not good to pick but I do not know what else to do. I tried proactive, I tried oxy pads, and also mederma.

Can someone help me out? Will my redish/brown mark go away? and what will speed up the process?

#38 mid30's

mid30's

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I've read before that vaseline (applied to the spot only) speeds up the healing process. I think it causes the skin cells to increase under it. Have you tried this? Maybe just massage it in on that spot only every night for a few nights. I use it for my 'healing' scabs and it works great.

#39 richmond

richmond

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

yeah i too am looking for healing creams for deep marks from cystic acne.

so retin-a or hydroquinone the best option? are they OTC?
1995 - 2002: Acne all over face

Jun 2003 - April 2007: Cleared face - water only. [Melbourne]

April 2007 - Now: New City [Sydney]. Itchy skin - red marks. Developed Cysts mainly on the right hand side of the face.

#40 JohnMayerFan8

JohnMayerFan8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (YoungJaeRome @ Jul 14 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive been on Dans regimen for about 3 months and my acne is clearing but i still have ALOT of red marks left behind. I went to see a doctor about it and he said it was irritation under the skin. I was wondering is the BP is making it stay around and if i should use less.

You know, I quit using BP and my skin is looking and feeling a little better for some reason.