Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAQ - Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation

74 posts in this topic

I am pretty confident that BP does make red marks much worse. When I wasn't using as much BP that is suggestd by Dan (when I was on Proactiv), I was staying clear and I hardly ever had any red marks, they would only be there for maybe a week or two at the most and then they would go away. Since I have been on BP, I have had the same mark for over a month and a half without much fading. Can someone tell me the costs for the different laser treatments?

proactiv's main ingredient is BP. it has bp in it's cleanser and it's repairing lotion. Proactiv is all about BP. There's no evidence at all that bp makes red marks last longer...I'd like to see some

There are plenty of articles reporting studies that claim the ill-effects of BP on skin, namely that it causes free radicals that interfere with the healing process, among other things. I'm not able to post links for some reason, otherwise I would give one article of many that describe one of many studies done on BP's affect on skin. Googling is the easiest way to find an article detailing a study.

I am pretty confident that BP does make red marks much worse. When I wasn't using as much BP that is suggestd by Dan (when I was on Proactiv), I was staying clear and I hardly ever had any red marks, they would only be there for maybe a week or two at the most and then they would go away. Since I have been on BP, I have had the same mark for over a month and a half without much fading. Can someone tell me the costs for the different laser treatments?

proactiv's main ingredient is BP. it has bp in it's cleanser and it's repairing lotion. Proactiv is all about BP. There's no evidence at all that bp makes red marks last longer...I'd like to see some

There are plenty of articles reporting studies that claim the ill-effects of BP on skin, namely that it causes free radicals that interfere with the healing process, among other things. I'm not able to post links for some reason, otherwise I would give one article of many that describe one of many studies done on BP's affect on skin. Googling is the easiest way to find an article detailing a study.

So if you apply Dan's AHA to red marks and rub it in will it help them heal faster and fade away? I have a major red spot near my nose that has stayed red forever now and i applied some AHA on it today in hopes of speeding up the healing.

I also have Retin-A too, but was told not to use it to spot treat, but really cant see how that would hurt if i just apply it to the red marks.

Any suggestions?

My Vitamin B5 Log

To be upset over what you don't have, is to waste what you do have

Thank the lord I decided to read this now. I was using BP and ziana to clear up my acne. It cleared up my forehead, but there are so many red marks, now I know I shouldn't use BP in areas with these bad marks. I think I'll switch to salicylic acid

After a breakout (especially if i mess with it) i more often than not end up with hyperpigmentation and or red marks that seem to take forever to fade away. I have been using hydroquine 2% at night in conjunction with dans aha and i have found that it is really helping speed up the process but it still is taking a long time because some are so dark. Ofcourse with any product patience is the key for me and im sure for most of you it is hard to wait

FADING FOR THE IMPATIENT... I have found that going to a tanning bed and using a sweat/water proof sunblock at least 50+ to spot treat my dark marks really evens out my skin. I dont rub the sunblock in i carefully let it sit where there is discoloration and then tan. I also put on an accelarator with bronzer to help tan all over (face included). I wash my face right after to help prevent a break out and i also have found that my makeup goes on smoother after i tan.

i know that to much sun exposure is not good for your skin but the hyperpigmentation was making me miserable and i was desperate...

I have this redish brown spot on my cheek from when I tried to pop a pimple. The pimple was deep so I could not get it and I think the trauma caused by the pressure I put on my skin caused the change in color. Since then (2 months ago) I have had a hard time looking at my face. It annoys me so much to see that the spot will not go away. I have repetedly tried to scratch the spot away and have made it scab a couple of times because I have gotten so angry. It usually scabs and then goes back to the same color or worse. I know it is not good to pick but I do not know what else to do. I tried proactive, I tried oxy pads, and also mederma.

Can someone help me out? Will my redish/brown mark go away? and what will speed up the process?

I know how you feel and yes picking makes it worse but its so hard not to do sometimes. when i have a open acne bumb on my face i put vaseline on it so that when its healing it doesnt heal hard and scab up instead it will heal smooth and once the skin isnt open you can start treating the darkness.

Retin A really works from PIH

I am light skinned black female and I suffer from inflammatory acne so I am always left with brown marks all over my face which are sometimes difficult to hide with foundation. I use Retin A daily and it really helps to fade the marks. I can see a difference after 3 weeks and after 2 months the marks are barely visible. By the 3rd or 4th month you cant even tell there was a pimple there.

I think price depends on where you are. I live in NYC and laser treatments are about $375 a time. But, I am not just saying this they are amazing. Problem is results do not last long. I get the V-beam done and it repairs red marks so much faster. But, with the price I only do it when its really bad and I dont want to leave my house. There is isolaz and that basically sucks the oil out and evens out your skin. I have started doing a cocktail of both and your skin looks so much better that night. V-beam is a little painful, but so is walking down the street with a massive cyst :) Let me know if you have any follow-ups!

2 years? thats a long time to wait. i dont think i can even wait another 6 months with this

Im an indian male,,so i scar easily from lesions on the face,I hardly have any skin problems, but one fine day i got a huge pimple , i tried picking it with a needle, but it only got worse , so i used a nail file to remove it . Two years i tried everything possible to get rid of the 2 inch brownish -black scar on my face that resulted, and by this is mean i lived on anti-oxidant food and drink for over 6 months ,tried three pigmentation creams, always wore a cap, it was terrible,my self confidence took a really bad blow ,but theres really no other way out but TIME. the body is its own best medicine in this case. Its been over 2 and a half years from that fateful day now. and nothing remains , no scar, no border , no weird coloration,nothing!!. The thing is dont try screwing around with PIH so much ,there is no definite cure as of now. so just relax and if you want an active lifestyle just use MAKEUP.

I have lots of brown spots on my back from past acne (i still have like 2-3 pimples) but I was wondering.. if I keep showering twice a day with salicylic acid body wash and exfoliate at night, do you think I could fade most of my brown spots by sept.?

I stopped using BP because honestly I'm pretty sure that was making my bacne worse! Recently I've only been showering twice a day with salicylic acid for almost 2 weeks and my back is SO much more clear!

Hello guys, my first post. I've had acne for 25 years now, and been on Dan's Regimen for four days. Pimples are gone. Plus, I'm using Olay All Night Recovery Cream, and the marks are fading too. Works like a bomb (but I'm using the Night Cream during the day as well because the BP is pretty harsh.) Hope this helps.

:D

Okay so is there any cleansers or topicals that people on Accutane can use to get rid of PIH?

I just started accutane so i have a long way to go so if there's anything I can apply, I would love to know about it! Thanks

1 person likes this

ACCUTANE LOG: here!

Started Claravis 9/8/2011

Month 1~ 40mg once a day

Month 2~ 40mg once a day

Month 3~ 60mg once a day

Month 4~ 60mg once a day

Month 5~ 60mg once a day

my skin is even but I have red marks all over my face,what would work? fraxel? do i need many sessions or once will be fine?its expensive..

if you want to read the boring and hopeless story of my not-yet-ended fight with acne,go to my profile.

Does anyone know if being on birth control pill could contribute to or even worsen post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation?

if you are prone to PIH do not use dan's products or anything containing BP. Acne never used to trouble me that much, and I used to only have a few red marks from PIH, but after going on dan's regimen my face looks disastrous (someone said that i looked like i had been in a fire). I visited a dermatologist who put me on a another regimen. I haven't gotten new acne for about two months now but the PIH is still visible as ever. Dan's regimen ruined my skin, again if you are prone to PIH do not use dan's products or anything containing BP!

is BP benzoyl peroxide? is that in the neutrogena face wash? alot of people recommend the neutrogena. i want to try something more natural for my face.

thank u for this thread frances! i often get dark spots after a major pimple & i did not know that bp is bad for that kind of skin.

what is the best treatment for PIH. Hdyroquinone, AHA, what. i keep hearing 4%hydroquinone. But i'm more interested in getting rid of PIH AND preventing pimples.

I have had proactiv since the end of january, and ever since i heard that BP worsens dark spots, i have stopped using it. I feel that was a bad idea, because now i have many new brown spots that i feel could have been prevented. I dont know whether i should continue using it, or try something else. The Proactiv DID HELP. Note that i want to prevent pimples, and get rid of dark spots. what if I use the proactiv and also add some extra glycolic acid before the toner. doesnt glycolic acid help with brown spots?

Please Help me.

Glycolic acid is amazing for dark/brown spots and it also helps with acne. But, beware that you can only find maximum of 10% glycolic acid at drugstores. A higher concentration will have to be purchased online. But, a product that I recommend, because I have brown spots and hyperpigmentation, is NEOSTRATA SMOOTHING CREAM. It comes in levels 1,2,3. Start off with 3 if your spots are bad, and wait 3 weeks and you will notice a result. Also, try NEOSTRATA HQ PLUS LIGHTENING GEL. These products come for about $35-45 each. But, I would strongly recommend investing in them. they also last a while. Good luck!

I've been on retin-a for months and have seen no results frm my PIH. should I consider laser treatment?

Bro I have a huge dark mark on my cheek that is really large and thick along with dark spots all over my cheeks, I am so embarrased and self conscious. It is so embarrassing, I don't go out anymore, I have tried make-up but it makes me more anxious because I am guy plus I suck at applying. I have dreams that maybe my skin will clear but no is the same, maybe I should stop using the 10% bp clearasil and noxzema.