Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frances

FAQ - Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation

74 posts in this topic

Thanks frances, I was just about to start a thread asking if there was a clear difference between scarring and redmarks. Much apprech biggrin.gif

Q: What is the Lemon & Vinegar Method?

A: This is a method that may improve the appearance of shallow, rolling scars. Drink either Robinson’s Lemon Barley Water or plain water with half a teaspoon of lemon juice to a full glass of water throughout the day. It is best to use fresh lemons if possible. Use any diluted vinegar (organic apple cider if possible, malt or white are also acceptable) in warm water to splash onto the face day and night. You may have to experiment to find the right combination of water to vinegar. Try diluting it 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water to start with. First wash your face with your normal cleanser, and then apply the vinegar (dab the solution on with cotton balls and leave on) before other topicals/moisturizers (apply topicals 20 minutes later). You should see an improvement within a week or two.

For more information, read this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=4885

1 person likes this

Q: What is the tape method of exfoliation?

A: This is a method whereby a piece of scotch/gift tape is applied to the surface of the skin and then gently removed. Once the tape is removed there may be pieces of dead skin that remain on the tape. Take care in using harsh topicals when this method is employed, as they will most likely irritate the skin moreso than if tape were not used.

For more information, check out this thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=1320

2 years? thats a long time to wait. i dont think i can even wait another 6 months with this

1 person likes this

what is the best treatment for PIH. Hdyroquinone, AHA, what. i keep hearing 4%hydroquinone. But i'm more interested in getting rid of PIH AND preventing pimples.

I have had proactiv since the end of january, and ever since i heard that BP worsens dark spots, i have stopped using it. I feel that was a bad idea, because now i have many new brown spots that i feel could have been prevented. I dont know whether i should continue using it, or try something else. The Proactiv DID HELP. Note that i want to prevent pimples, and get rid of dark spots. what if I use the proactiv and also add some extra glycolic acid before the toner. doesnt glycolic acid help with brown spots?

Please Help me.

what is the best treatment for PIH. Hdyroquinone, AHA, what. i keep hearing 4%hydroquinone. But i'm more interested in getting rid of PIH AND preventing pimples.

I have had proactiv since the end of january, and ever since i heard that BP worsens dark spots, i have stopped using it. I feel that was a bad idea, because now i have many new brown spots that i feel could have been prevented. I dont know whether i should continue using it, or try something else. The Proactiv DID HELP. Note that i want to prevent pimples, and get rid of dark spots. what if I use the proactiv and also add some extra glycolic acid before the toner. doesnt glycolic acid help with brown spots?

Please Help me.

ive heard about bp making red spots worse but the most important thing you can do is prevent pimples in teh first place and bp is the best thing for that. I'm not really sure if BP makes them worse or causes red marks, I seemed to get them before using bp anyway. My suggestion would be to use bp and once your clear of active pimples then you treat the red marks. Otherwise your active pimples will just leave tons of red marks anyway...

I am pretty confident that BP does make red marks much worse. When I wasn't using as much BP that is suggestd by Dan (when I was on Proactiv), I was staying clear and I hardly ever had any red marks, they would only be there for maybe a week or two at the most and then they would go away. Since I have been on BP, I have had the same mark for over a month and a half without much fading. Can someone tell me the costs for the different laser treatments?

Week 48

Morning

Purpose Gentle Cleanser | Dan's BP Gel | Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Facial Lotion

Evening

Obagi Skin Whitener (4% Hydroquinone)

Skin Status

Practically all clear w/ quickly fading PIH due to 4% hydroquinone

I am pretty confident that BP does make red marks much worse. When I wasn't using as much BP that is suggestd by Dan (when I was on Proactiv), I was staying clear and I hardly ever had any red marks, they would only be there for maybe a week or two at the most and then they would go away. Since I have been on BP, I have had the same mark for over a month and a half without much fading. Can someone tell me the costs for the different laser treatments?

proactiv's main ingredient is BP. it has bp in it's cleanser and it's repairing lotion. Proactiv is all about BP. There's no evidence at all that bp makes red marks last longer...I'd like to see some

i haven't used bp earlier, and i have say that i do notice more red and brown spots on my face than before

but i don't care, as long as i'm clear

at least redmarks can be covered

Hi if I picked at this one lesion (currently in the healing process), when the brown spot appears, is this considered PIH? And whether it is or not, would creams/lemon juice/whatever have any affect on reducing the hyperpigmentation?

So I guess I'm trying to ask, is picking at a lesion (whitehead in this case), causing it to open, the same as PIH? treated the same way?

any help is greatly appreciated

Hoping someone can answer this for me.

Ive been on roaccutane for a month now and during this month it has made 97% of my pimples go down, so i have all these small red spots ALL over my cheeks and chin. I'm not seeing the derm for a while so im wondering if i should take it apon myself to find a good redspot treatment whilst still on roacc. Is this a bad idea? I want to start treating the spots asap but im not sure if i should let roacc do all the work (i still dont know if tane helps with red spots). What do you guys think???

My Roaccutane Gallery

Roaccutane - 40mg

Commenced: 08.09.06

i haven't used bp earlier, and i have say that i do notice more red and brown spots on my face than before

but i don't care, as long as i'm clear

at least redmarks can be covered

What the fuck! yeah maybe for girls, but what about the rest of us.

Q: What is the Lemon & Vinegar Method?

A: This is a method that may improve the appearance of shallow, rolling scars. Drink either Robinson’s Lemon Barley Water or plain water with half a teaspoon of lemon juice to a full glass of water throughout the day. It is best to use fresh lemons if possible. Use any diluted vinegar (organic apple cider if possible, malt or white are also acceptable) in warm water to splash onto the face day and night. You may have to experiment to find the right combination of water to vinegar. Try diluting it 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water to start with. First wash your face with your normal cleanser, and then apply the vinegar (dab the solution on with cotton balls and leave on) before other topicals/moisturizers (apply topicals 20 minutes later). You should see an improvement within a week or two.

For more information, read this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=4885

Is it okay to use lime in place of the lemon?

Ive been on roaccutane for a month now and during this month it has made 97% of my pimples go down, so i have all these small red spots ALL over my cheeks and chin. I'm not seeing the derm for a while so im wondering if i should take it apon myself to find a good redspot treatment whilst still on roacc. Is this a bad idea? I want to start treating the spots asap but im not sure if i should let roacc do all the work (i still dont know if tane helps with red spots). What do you guys think???

♥ amyy babii_♥.

heyy Lexia I also havve tha same problem and want to treat my my pigmentation red mark thingys man are they pissing me off yerr i was on roaccutane for 3-4 monthz then got taken off it coz of depression and im not seeing my derm 4 a whiile either I also want a spot treatment I heard 100% aloe vera gell is supposed to be good havnt tried it myself yett .. any suggestions any one ??

` ªмуу ьαььίί_.˚

Ive been on Dans regimen for about 3 months and my acne is clearing but i still have ALOT of red marks left behind. I went to see a doctor about it and he said it was irritation under the skin. I was wondering is the BP is making it stay around and if i should use less.

Everyone is saying that the proactive bp lotion made their hyperpigmentation worse. On the contrary, it seemed to fade all of my hyperpigmentation. Granted, initially it made the spots a little redder, but within a matter of days it always seemed to fade them all away.

Hperpigmentation sucks. The assuring thing is that with time, the spots will fade. It's really hard to be patient, though. :(

I have hyperpigmentation around my lips and it's purty annoying.

I bought a green-bottle liquid thing with Kojic acid but it don't seem to help that much...

I recently started using Neutrogena Facial Lotion AHA with SPF.

And my doctor prescribed me "Triluma."

Should I buy the Triluma? I heard it's expensive... and does Triluma work? It has more than 1 active ingredient to get rid of hyperpigmentation?

I have hyperpigmentation around my lips and it's purty annoying.

I bought a green-bottle liquid thing with Kojic acid but it don't seem to help that much...

I recently started using Neutrogena Facial Lotion AHA with SPF.

And my doctor prescribed me "Triluma."

Should I buy the Triluma? I heard it's expensive... and does Triluma work? It has more than 1 active ingredient to get rid of hyperpigmentation?