Photo

Ways to combat stress effects?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 chicagogirl

chicagogirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

Hey Everyone,

I've found that lack of sleep and stress directly contribute to me looking pretty gross. This summer I was almost completely clear and now at the end of first semester I'm not looking so hot. Four exams last week have left me with huge cysts. . . not fun.

I'm about to crawl into a mask like this guy --> ninja.gif

What do you guys do to combat the effects of stress/no sleep on your skin? Any good ideas or things I could try?

Thanks.

#2 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

read me response on deja's don't you have to believe thread in the diet forum.

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(chicagogirl @ Nov 10 2004, 04:05 PM)
Hey Everyone,

I've found that lack of sleep and stress directly contribute to me looking pretty gross. This summer I was almost completely clear and now at the end of first semester I'm not looking so hot.  Four exams last week have left me with huge cysts. . . not fun. 

I'm about to crawl into a mask like this guy -->  ninja.gif

What do you guys do to combat the effects of stress/no sleep on your skin? Any good ideas or things I could try?

Thanks.

View Post

Try to take an hour or so from your day and just spend the time in a park or elsewhere where you can just walk/run/read in the sun. I find a nice brisk run in the park very calming especially when the park is empty so I usually drive down there after classes end. Bear in mind, I'm in NE and right now the temps are hanging around 30 but wearing a nice warm jacket and hoody keep me warm and jogging away.

#4 ipodist

ipodist

the realist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:40 PM

Take the daily bubble bath route.

#5 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:48 PM

The relaxation response is the best way to relieve stress and have your body combat it when it does occur. Google it.

#6 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 10 2004, 06:48 PM)
The relaxation response is the best way to relieve stress and have your body combat it when it does occur. Google it.

View Post

I'll have to try that. It's very simple so I figure it'll be worth a shot.

#7 ken4

ken4

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 43
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:09 PM

Exercising helps relieve stress alot. I've just recently started running and i've found that its helped relieve alot of stress... Also, i know its hard to believe, but i've tried a few hypnosis tapes at night that really seem to relax me ...
Hopefully thats some help.. biggrin.gif

#8 musicfan01

musicfan01

POST-ACCUTANE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:33 PM

I have had the same experience! this past summer I was lookin pretty good...then school started again! My acne is back to what it was b4 summer and it's awful! Just like ken4, I run and exercise and it helps (just be sure to shower afterward...acne LOVES sweat)!! another problem of mine is the sleep...definitely dont get enough of it!

well good luck, and hope you start to clear up soon!

--mf01

#9 Artemis

Artemis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:34 PM

Hey, all you learned people in the Diet and Holistic Health forum:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it'd be more considerate than starting one of my own.

As I'm sure many of you know, exam season for us college kids is probably the most stressful time of year, both psychologically and physiologically. The stress manifests itself in our hormone production (cortisol and adrenaline, anyone?), our diet (who has time to cook when there's desperate studying to do?), sleep deprivation, and so on. All of this, of course, impacts upon acne in some way, and I definitely find that when I'm studying or working too hard, my skin pays the price, even if I'm doing all the same things I was before.

I was wondering, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother, if anyone knows of any (convenient to prepare) foods that help with stress levels and provide energy that is metabolized slowly enough to get through long exam-filled days, and won't cause break-outs. Are there any particular nutrients/vitamins that help with stress, or help regulate hormone levels during times of stress?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

#10 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:36 PM

Try 20 minutes of meditation a day with the relaxation response. Foods won't cause breakouts though cortisol can -- try something high in protein and low in carbs as protein creates neurotransmitters which help you feel good.

#11 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:14 PM

Some mediatation with binaural beats and innertalk's free stress Mp3 and you'll be so relaxed that you'll pee yourself. Seriously though, any one of these three will relax the hell out of you and if you want instant relaxation try the binaural beats as they automatically switch your brainwaves to beta mode and lower. If you want to take the time though, meditation is the best thing you can do for yourself mentally and physically. If you can combine that with free flowing visualizations you have the Einstienian method and your creativity will rise exponentially and your IQ will rise up to 25% or above(Diminishing returns makes it usually less). This is how 90% of all innovations in history was thought up.

#12 Artemis

Artemis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, BenKweller and blackbirdbeatle. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, cortisol alters mood and reasoning abilities as well, which is why I really need to start getting more protein in my diet. But that's another story altogether. lol.gif

Where might one acquire (download?) these binaural beats?

#13 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

Hi all. I studied stress a bit.

Basically, yeh, stress has two main factors. Stress affects the body (obviously), ad secondly it affects the brain. Most things like exercising, bathing relives the physical symptoms of stress, but the real cause of stress is in the mind.

The real way of combating stress is changing your mind. SO yeh, meditation, things to make your mind become more relaxed and percieve things differently helps.

#14 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:46 PM

Some free binaural beat programs are the Brainwave generator and the
SBaGen program. There is an extremely versitile and good program available however it does cost 50.00 and requires knowledge of binaural beats(There is a guide but it's a lot of science) and you need to be computer savvy as it's built like a recording program for studios(You can burn the beats into the backgrounds of CD's such as the subliminal ones to enhance the effectiveness by opening up the brain more suggestions).

#15 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:26 AM

Innertalk CD's, Vitamin C, exercising, and sleep biggrin.gif

#16 WeCanDoThis

WeCanDoThis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:01 AM

To effectively combat the effects of long term stress, it has been my experience that you have to attact the problem from at least to angles.

A combination of physical exercise (like running) and relaxation techniques (like meditation, yoga, tai chi etc.) is the way you wanna go.

Of course it takes dedication but the results are worth it.

#17 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:24 AM

the best way is to treat the cause. Of course physical exercise relieves the short term symtoms, but that won't last long

#18 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:21 PM

That's actually not true, polka. A prolonged physical exercise regimen will create additional stress blocking neurotransmitters in the body that are released in the blood even when stress does not occur. It's pretty cool.

#19 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:12 PM

That won't work for a traumatic event though. If your mind is full of chronic stress(Like those whose self-esteem is nothing and thinks that everyone they meet will hate them because of their acne) exercise will only go so far.

#20 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:19 PM

Not always true, actually. It can have pretty far reaching effects with the body-- its own stress-stopper production goes up during exercise to relax the muscles a little and, after a while, this continues even during down time.