Photo

Is it worth it?

green tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 MB1983

MB1983

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:06 PM

The healthy diet route that is?

I've been struggling with acne since 14, I'm 21 now! The past couple of month I've tried to eat as healthy as possible, I've totally cut out bread and milk, and I've minimised my junk food and sugar intake. I try and eat as much fruit as possible, and drink plenty of green tea and water.

At first I saw slight improvement, but now my acne is as it was before or even worse! Its p!ssing me off! I try my hardest to keep away from bad foods and this is how my body repays me.

I went into the docs, the other day and I was given some anti-biotics I hadnt been given before, Oxytetracycline, has anyone been on this before? I'm hoping these improve my acne, otherwise I'm out of ideas on what to do.

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:56 PM

Diet really doesn't affect the acne of MOST people; some think it does, fine, but usually it doesn't. Eat what you like and just be careful about not overwashing/overmedicating yourself.

#3 darkacid

darkacid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(MB1983 @ Nov 10 2004, 07:06 PM)

I've been struggling with acne since 14, I'm 21 now! The past couple of month I've tried to eat as healthy as possible, I've totally cut out bread and milk, and I've minimised my junk food and sugar intake. I try and eat as much fruit as possible, and drink plenty of green tea and water.

At first I saw slight improvement, but now my acne is as it was before or even worse! Its p!ssing me off! I try my hardest to keep away from bad foods and this is how my body repays me.

I went into the docs, the other day and I was given some anti-biotics I hadnt been given before, Oxytetracycline, has anyone been on this before? I'm hoping these improve my acne, otherwise I'm out of ideas on what to do.

View Post

I fell ya , that's the same with me im on all these anti biotcs , eating no junk food at all , i swim in chlorine swimming pools daily , i train / run wash my face with all this sh!t and it hasn't done nothing im really starting to get fed up with it , all these people i know eat all junk don't do nothing and they don't get pimples.

#4 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:56 PM

I think that diet plays an important role in acne and eating in general is good for overall health. Have you done any internal cleansing yet? Check out Curezone http://www.curezone.com for sure-its a huge information source for internal cleansing.

Some other good sites are:

http://www.sensiblehealth.com/

http://www.clearskin...opic.php?t=5274

http://www.absolutea...opic.php?t=1371

http://curezone.com/dis/1.asp?C0=23

#5 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

You know I used to think diet made this big difference..but I dunno anymore.
I think cleansing can help but it doesn't SEEM to help in the long run. I get horrible breakouts around my period..I get moderate breakouts the rest of the time..made worse if I stress out. The only things that consistantly seem to help is LOTS of BP.
Everything else is so hard to tell if its placebo or what...

#6 themaster

themaster

Remember to shave regularly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(MB1983 @ Nov 10 2004, 11:06 AM)

View Post

Fruit has a lot of sugar.

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(MB1983 @ Nov 10 2004, 12:06 PM)

View Post

Hi there =) Mind sharing what exactly you are eating everyday? When you say bread do you also mean seitan, cous cous, matza, pizza, cookies, crackers, pastas, etc too? When you say sugar do you also mean high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup? Of course, like themaster said, you could be eating fruits that is too high glycemically for you personally. What fruits are you eating? Are you eating any nuts? Any vegetables? Any Soy? or Trans Fats?

Of course, it works more often than not and while a % of our diets share some similarites, others have very different triggers. Therefore, unless you take time to figure out your triggers, if you have any, then it won't work for you. Another thing to take into account is like the others said, cleansing. Sometimes people change their diet and find out that it doesn't work because they were constipated or because they need to do the "L- flush thing"

Also, I'm never happy when I have to mention this, but of all the oral treatments out there an antibiotic is the last treatment that will ever permanently cure you of acne. In fact, most oral treatments aren't permanent as you must take them for the rest of life (or while you have acne), but with an antibiotic you are fighting a downhill battle. All drugs have side effects, but antibiotics will weaken your immune system to some extent over time, make your body (it's bacteria) resistant to antibiotics (incl. the one you are currently taking), increase your chance of getting systemic yeast (candida), and increase your chance of getting leaky gut syndrome (which can cause food intolerances & sensitivies) and digestive disorders. Of all treatments to take for the rest of your acneic life, you're better off, if you can't do it through diet & cleansings, taking supplements or if need be Sprionolactone or ...even a course of accutane. Not to mention, once you stop, as was mentioned earlier your acne will come back, but with some antibiotics your acne can come back worse and in new areas...once your skin has been senzitized to that new area, you may continue to breakout in those new areas years after stopping antibiotics.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm down on this form of oral treatment, but of all them, I think that it really messes with you and lures you into a false sense of hope and security, and how many acne sufferers need more false security. At least with accutane, some people (those that eventually had up to 5 courses) get at least 6 months - 6 years of "security" before some of their acne returns. With antibiotics, the acne comes back almost instantaneously =(

#8 miss_d

miss_d

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Nov 14 2004, 10:06 PM)
With antibiotics, the acne comes back almost instantaneously  =(

Oh no!!!
I have been on that for about a month. It does work but I don't want the Oxytetracycline to make it worse!
However, it turns out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which means I have a high level of testosterone in me. If you have it bad around your periods, it is bound to be a hormone issue. Testosterone can cause that sort of thing in high amounts. It also causes me issues with irregular periods. It might be worth going to the doctor and see if you can be tested for that. It can be helped with being sensible with carbs and taking a lot of vitamin B6. I am currently trialing the vitamins to see if that helps my skin. It is very depressing.

You might not have that so I am not about to suggest something without medical knowledge or all the facts but sounds hormonal so have an investigation into balancing out the hormones. Angus Castus is supposed to be good for that and Starflower and Evening Primrose oil.

I am feeling a little concerned about Oxytetracycline but I dont really like the idea of Dianette with its issues regarding blood clots either! sad.gif

#9 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:31 PM

if you go on the antibiotic make sure that you start a topical regimen (like THE regimen by dan) because the p acne bacteria will become resistant to the oxytet. the acne will not become resistant for at least 6 months (probably) and if you can get yourself clear by then, your topical regimen should maintain for you.

#10 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:12 PM

With the antibiotics, you shouldn't rely on them long term. THe worst thing you can do with any antibiotics is to either not finish what was prescribed or go on them for long periods.