Photo

Sugar cravings - help!

gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:25 PM

Hi everyone,

So I'm pretty sure that eating a lot of sugar is bad, bad, bad for my skin...nothing else seems to really affect it (dairy, gluten, etc.) But I LOVE sugar and can eat large quantities in one sitting.

I went off sugar for like 4 months last year (don't know how I got the willpower) and my skin cleared like magic.

Even though I know this, I can't seem to get it under control. I think it might be some weird biological thing...I read somewhere that having a history of alcholism (I had 2 close relatives die of the disease) is related to having cravings for sweets. They are intense!! Even if I eat balanced meals for weeks, I will crave sugar.

Anybody got any tips on how to get a handle on this?? It's the one thing tripping me up diet-wise...I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, and other healthy things. Don't care much for things with lots of fat or even additives. But if I don't have something sweet I start to crave it (and eating large quantities of fruit helps but not totally).

#2 gymrat7676

gymrat7676

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:36 PM

that is so weird- i did the exact same thing- i was totally off sugar and all simple carbs for four months and did a candida cleanse and cleared my skin but once i started to eat it again , it has been so hard to stop. I try to substitute sugar free things but then i worry about the chemicals. i think the only way to stop craving it is to cut it out completely and that means no fruit and no simple carbs. also cleansing ur body of candida can help since it is the yeast that makes ur body crave it. my skin was under control when i cut out the sugar and now it is ok but still not perfect
MY ROUTINE

AM
1) wash with paula's choice normal to oily cleanser
2) Napca mist from twinlab or the one from nuskin and spray many times to get a good layer of moisture.
3)Avalon organics revitalizing eye gel
4)Cory Minerals (I've found that the secret to cory is to use ur brush to really swirl it around to grind the powder down even finer than it is and then to tap off the excess and start off with thin layers and build.) i also will take a concealer brush and dab it on certain areas that i need to cover up more thickly and then use a bronzer with a big bronzer brush to blend. ( i use estee lauder bronze goddess). i use bronzer all over and this seems to even out everything.
5)Aquaphor for lips.

PM
1)Same PC N/O
2b)some nights I mask with aspirin mixed with milk of magnesia and nuetrogena clear pore cleanser mask in nose and chin area - to make mask i use a small spray bottle with distilled water that i always keep in my bathroom and i take about 8 aspirin in the palm of my hand and spray and mush with my fingers until it is a thick paste. i then add a drop of MOM and put a small amount of neut. clear pore cleanser mask. don't use mask every night.
3)Aubrey organics Vegecol toner
4)Spot treat w/ prosacea gel
5)same on eyes and lips as AM

#3 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:48 PM

I am a sugar craver too - I have no suggestions - It's a mean addiction.

#4 nofx_gurl_420

nofx_gurl_420

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

my dad is diabetic and we grow a plant called Stevia it is more sweet then sugar and it not artifical with bad chemicals and stuff here is a website on it and it is actually good for you and according to the site it can help with skin problems... anyways u guys can read it and see what u think http://www.practical....com/stevia.htm

#5 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:09 PM

Yep I have read about Stevia. Unforunately there are a couple of niggling safety concerns about it According to the FDA and european equivalents. Tho it has been used in Asia for 30 years. Mind you...it can't be any worse than aspartame.

#6 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:09 PM

Sweet fruits, such as grapes, raisins, blueberries, bananas, dates, etc. usually satisfy craving for sugar. A nutritious snack is peanuts with raisins. The raisins are sweet, and the peanuts, because they contain oil and protein, moderate the absorption of sugar, so you don't spike your level of insulin.

#7 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(SteveBrown @ Nov 9 2004, 05:09 PM)
Sweet fruits, such as grapes, raisins, blueberries, bananas, dates, etc. usually satisfy craving for sugar. A nutritious snack is peanuts with raisins. The raisins are sweet, and the peanuts, because they contain oil and protein,  moderate the absorption of sugar, so you don't spike your level of insulin.

View Post

This is a really good idea, maybe I should try to find some kind of trail mix...

Thanks for all the replies. I've heard about Stevia but haven't tried it.

#8 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:31 PM

You could take chromium. Here's a basic link with some pretty basic information. Chromium Info
"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."
- Abraham Lincoln

#9 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(blueeyedbia @ Nov 10 2004, 11:31 AM)
You could take chromium. Here's a basic link with some pretty basic information. Chromium Info

View Post

Yeah I heard it was good for sugar cravings so I do take it!! I still get them anyway.

#10 welsh_jellybaby

welsh_jellybaby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:02 PM

gymrat how did you do a candida cleanse? What does it involve? Thanks.

#11 AlexAlmighty

AlexAlmighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:39 PM

Start smoking.
I say let me never be complete,
I say may I never be content,
I say deliver me from Swedish furniture,
I say deliver me from clever arts,
I say deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth,
I say you have to give up,
I say evolve and let the chips fall where they may.
--Fight Club: This is your life

"Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."

#12 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:34 PM

I went on Sugarbusters three years ago. The book and shopping guide are pretty helpful. But the first 90 days for me were a b*tch.Now, I really don't crave that stuff but your body takes a long time to get adjusted to the change.I kept nuts in my bag for snacks, which really helped with the cravings.I work at a restaurant so I constantly had the chance to cheat.The other thing I do is the "Am I really hungry test?" I discovered when I wanted to chow sweets or simple starches I was stressing about something.Just that realization, helped me not cheat.

#13 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

Get some raw honey, that stuff has sugar, tastes great and is healthy for you. Just make sure it's raw and unprocessed, unheated. You'll know it's raw when you get honey that has a margarine like consistency, isn't runny and isn't clear like regular treated honey. Ys organic bee farmers make a great raw honey.

#14 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(AlexAlmighty @ Nov 13 2004, 12:39 PM)
Start smoking.

View Post

Um...not the best advice.

#15 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(apple49 @ Nov 13 2004, 01:34 PM)
I went on Sugarbusters three years ago. The book and shopping guide are pretty helpful. But the first 90 days for me were a b*tch.Now, I really don't crave that stuff but your body takes a long time to get adjusted to the change.I kept nuts in my bag for snacks, which really helped with the cravings.I work at a restaurant so I constantly had the chance to cheat.The other thing I do is the "Am I really hungry test?" I discovered when I wanted to chow  sweets or simple starches I was stressing about something.Just that realization, helped me not cheat.

View Post

Good point, I think I definitely eat sugar when I'm just feeling bored or "blah".

The raw honey is also a good idea but I'm afraid it will just get me craving more.