Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diet and Acne

18 posts in this topic

i have suffered from acne for almost four years now. i have heard that i should watch what i eat, and i have heard to eat whatever i want.

IS YOUR DIET RELATED TO YOUR ACNE?? eusa_think.gif

^i can never get the same answer! eusa_wall.gif

What have your experiences been like? Do you see a relation?

Looking foward to the feedback..

thanks--mf01

It is for me, If I eat junk food the next day I get a zip, I tested tis out and It's true for me.

yes yes yes yes..

try it, what have u got to lose?

Whoah I havent been to these forums for awhile!

Anyway, diet plays a huge role on acne. I havent been on these forums much lately because I have been really clear for awhile now. Anyway, halloween came up and my mom had bags of candy and for some reason I ate like bags of it! A few days later I got the worst breakout I have had in a long time. Anyway, back to eating healthy for me.

What seems to break me out is chocolate or refined sugar. Fruit sugar or honey doesnt break me out.

I went on a diet eating most foods low in the glycemic index for a few weeks w/o taking any supplements and I've seen my acne improve tremendously.

Anyway, halloween came up and my mom had bags of candy and for some reason I ate like bags of it! A few days later I got the worst breakout I have had in a long time. Anyway, back to eating healthy for me.

The study about the New Guinea people is lame and just kinda ignores the gene pool idea without proving it incompatible.

The study about the New Guinea people is lame and just kinda ignores the gene pool idea without proving it incompatible.

As I've posted several times before, diet plays a huge role in my acne. For me, foods high in saturated fat (particularly dairy) are the worst trigger.

My skin is almost completely clear now -- what's worked for me is watching my diet very carefully, eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and avoiding saturated fats and refined sugars. That cleared my skin about 95%. The last 5% I've nearly cleared (just a bit of scarring to heal) by having regular microdermabrasion and using a twice daily salicylic acid wash, followed by a glycolic acid moisturiser. My skin texture is much better now and my pores are a lot smaller -- except for light scarring (which is fading) it almost looks like normal skin now. I've also found that (hope it's okay to mention specific brands) Estee Lauder's Idealist Micro D Thermal Skin refinisher is amazing! It leaves my skin almost as soft as a microdermabrasion session (and, even though it's obscenely expensive, it's still a lot cheaper than microdermabrasion). My plug for the day smile.gif

I think its related. I don't think it causes it (otherwise everyone eating junk food would have acne).

For me, sugar seems to be a real trigger.

Anyway, halloween came up and my mom had bags of candy and for some reason I ate like bags of it! A few days later I got the worst breakout I have had in a long time. Anyway, back to eating healthy for me.

What seems to break me out is chocolate or refined sugar. Fruit sugar or honey doesnt break me out.

I think its related. I don't think it causes it (otherwise everyone eating junk food would have acne).

Everyone's body chemistry is different and has certain sentivities so it's true that diet may or may not be to blame. What has helped me immeasurably although is reducing (although not even eliminating) excess iodine from my diet. There are posts on the board if you like to give it a shot yourself. Iodine easy to pie (whick is still on the menu) to avoid and doesn't neccesary involve the absence of salt. Best of luck.

Halloween: been there, done that got the breakout  eusa_wall.gif . Luckily the b5 prevented too much damage.

Just a quick question ... could someone give me a not-too-scientific explanation of what refined sugar is, what foods contain it and why is it different to fruit sugar, please?

LoL dean. Fruit sugar is fruit sugar. Fruit contains sugar, but it is not refined sugar. Refined sugar is in everything that says sugar on the label. Soda, cookies, etc.

thanks for all the posts! i will definitely watch my diet and see what happens! cool.gif

--mf01

LoL dean. Fruit sugar is fruit sugar. Fruit contains sugar, but it is not refined sugar. Refined sugar is in everything that says sugar on the label. Soda, cookies, etc.

Cheers lumas  biggrin.gif , I'll try to cut down on the amount of refined sugar I eat.