Photo

Diet and Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 musicfan01

musicfan01

POST-ACCUTANE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 43
About Me

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:58 PM

i have suffered from acne for almost four years now. i have heard that i should watch what i eat, and i have heard to eat whatever i want.

IS YOUR DIET RELATED TO YOUR ACNE?? eusa_think.gif
^i can never get the same answer! eusa_wall.gif

What have your experiences been like? Do you see a relation?

Looking foward to the feedback..

thanks--mf01
MY ACCUTANE SAGA
March 25, 2005 - September 3, 2005

Photo Album
UPDATED WITH FOUR YEAR PROGRESS! January 2, 2009

#2 themaster

themaster

Remember to shave regularly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:07 AM

It is for me, If I eat junk food the next day I get a zip, I tested tis out and It's true for me.

#3 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:50 PM

yes yes yes yes..
try it, what have u got to lose?
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#4 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

Whoah I havent been to these forums for awhile!

Anyway, diet plays a huge role on acne. I havent been on these forums much lately because I have been really clear for awhile now. Anyway, halloween came up and my mom had bags of candy and for some reason I ate like bags of it! A few days later I got the worst breakout I have had in a long time. Anyway, back to eating healthy for me.

What seems to break me out is chocolate or refined sugar. Fruit sugar or honey doesnt break me out.

#5 Astro Man

Astro Man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:03 PM

I went on a diet eating most foods low in the glycemic index for a few weeks w/o taking any supplements and I've seen my acne improve tremendously.

#6 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Nov 9 2004, 04:27 PM)
Anyway, halloween came up and my mom had bags of candy and for some reason I ate like bags of it! A few days later I got the worst breakout I have had in a long time. Anyway, back to eating healthy for me.

View Post

Ha... that sounds like my Halloween. I ate so much candy I thought I would puke. I was cursing the God that made me and the pagans responsible for this stupid holiday.

Anyway, the point is they're definitely connected. There was a post on here about the natives of New Guinea, no acne. Eskimos didn't get acne until the Western diet. Many Japanese people I know don't have acne on the traditional diet, the Asian girls who hang out at the food court DO, to put it mildly. I'm sure there are more examples.

Plaquoid-mucous cleansing-type junk, liver flushing, colloidal silver, coral calcium... these are definitely NOT part of my regimen

#7 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:15 PM

The study about the New Guinea people is lame and just kinda ignores the gene pool idea without proving it incompatible.

#8 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Nov 9 2004, 08:15 PM)
The study about the New Guinea people is lame and just kinda ignores the gene pool idea without proving it incompatible.

View Post

To tell you the truth I didn't read it, just heard about it and assumed it was valid. I figure I'm at least as well informed as the American voter.

Plaquoid-mucous cleansing-type junk, liver flushing, colloidal silver, coral calcium... these are definitely NOT part of my regimen

#9 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:13 PM

As I've posted several times before, diet plays a huge role in my acne. For me, foods high in saturated fat (particularly dairy) are the worst trigger.

My skin is almost completely clear now -- what's worked for me is watching my diet very carefully, eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and avoiding saturated fats and refined sugars. That cleared my skin about 95%. The last 5% I've nearly cleared (just a bit of scarring to heal) by having regular microdermabrasion and using a twice daily salicylic acid wash, followed by a glycolic acid moisturiser. My skin texture is much better now and my pores are a lot smaller -- except for light scarring (which is fading) it almost looks like normal skin now. I've also found that (hope it's okay to mention specific brands) Estee Lauder's Idealist Micro D Thermal Skin refinisher is amazing! It leaves my skin almost as soft as a microdermabrasion session (and, even though it's obscenely expensive, it's still a lot cheaper than microdermabrasion). My plug for the day smile.gif

#10 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:37 PM

I think its related. I don't think it causes it (otherwise everyone eating junk food would have acne).

For me, sugar seems to be a real trigger.

#11 Dean

Dean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Nov 10 2004, 12:27 AM)
Anyway, halloween came up and my mom had bags of candy and for some reason I ate like bags of it! A few days later I got the worst breakout I have had in a long time. Anyway, back to eating healthy for me.

What seems to break me out is chocolate or refined sugar. Fruit sugar or honey doesnt break me out.

View Post

Halloween: been there, done that got the breakout eusa_wall.gif . Luckily the b5 prevented too much damage.

Just a quick question ... could someone give me a not-too-scientific explanation of what refined sugar is, what foods contain it and why is it different to fruit sugar, please?

#12 K-La

K-La

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Gypsy @ Nov 10 2004, 11:37 AM)
I think its related. I don't think it causes it (otherwise everyone eating junk food would have acne).

View Post

I don't believe that is true. Only because everyone is different. Our bodies respond differently to things including food. Just like Accutane may work for one person but not the next. My friend eats tons of crap...anything sugary, starchy, or salty is what she lives off of and she's a pasta fanatic. She rarely breaks out and when she does, its minor and leaves no scarring. Plus, she's been using Proactiv and now she never gets acne. *is jealous* Then there's me. I have to stay away from dairy (especially), sugar, and wheat otherwise I break out like crazy. The diet didn't totally get rid of my acne but it kept it under control a bit. My point is, every one person is not the same and will react to certain things in a different manner.

P.S I do realize you think it is related which I agree with. The part I disagreed with was the 'everyone eating junk food would have acne' thing. And yeah, it may not be the MAIN cause but I think it plays a very important role (at least for some people).

Edited by K-La, 10 November 2004 - 02:37 PM.

#13 rosalinda

rosalinda

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:12 PM

Everyone's body chemistry is different and has certain sentivities so it's true that diet may or may not be to blame. What has helped me immeasurably although is reducing (although not even eliminating) excess iodine from my diet. There are posts on the board if you like to give it a shot yourself. Iodine easy to pie (whick is still on the menu) to avoid and doesn't neccesary involve the absence of salt. Best of luck.

#14 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 43
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(Dean @ Nov 10 2004, 12:21 PM)

Halloween: been there, done that got the breakout  eusa_wall.gif . Luckily the b5 prevented too much damage.

Just a quick question ... could someone give me a not-too-scientific explanation of what refined sugar is, what foods contain it and why is it different to fruit sugar, please?

View Post

LoL dean. Fruit sugar is fruit sugar. Fruit contains sugar, but it is not refined sugar. Refined sugar is in everything that says sugar on the label. Soda, cookies, etc.

#15 antisocialmisfit

antisocialmisfit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Nov 10 2004, 03:07 PM)
LoL dean. Fruit sugar is fruit sugar. Fruit contains sugar, but it is not refined sugar. Refined sugar is in everything that says sugar on the label. Soda, cookies, etc.

View Post

Here is what I have found to be true for me: caffeine including coffee tea and chocolate (chocolate is high in caffeine) will increase sebum production and if you are already prone to acne will make mine worse. ditto for dairy products in excess.
peanuts are loaded with estrogen a female hormone and will break me out very badly.

Ironically greasy foods seem to have no effect. Strawberries have a very clearing effect for me and also they have a chemical in them that also whitens your teeth.
drinking lots of water helps marginally (im only speaking of my own experience here) smoking cigarettes makes my skin look much worse unfortuneately havent been able to kick the habit. lemons and limes have a very clearing effect expecially limes for some reason. finally when all else fails I take tetracycline which is about the only thing that clears my acne in a hurry. Also tetracycline applied topically for me is just as good if not better than oral, and for those without insurance or money (which is about half the population) you can get tetracycline at the pet store in the fish department, it is not pharmeuceutical grade so dont take it orally but I think it would be fine topically.If you do this be sure to read up on tetracycline. not for pregnate mothers makes you very photo sensitive ect. (this lack of insurance bullshit really pisses me off most people work hard and deserve to be taken care of ,the worlds richest country and nada for half b.s.)

#16 musicfan01

musicfan01

POST-ACCUTANE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:27 PM

thanks for all the posts! i will definitely watch my diet and see what happens! cool.gif

--mf01
MY ACCUTANE SAGA
March 25, 2005 - September 3, 2005

Photo Album
UPDATED WITH FOUR YEAR PROGRESS! January 2, 2009

#17 Dean

Dean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Nov 10 2004, 11:07 PM)

View Post

Cheers lumas biggrin.gif , I'll try to cut down on the amount of refined sugar I eat.

#18 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(Dean @ Nov 11 2004, 03:33 AM)
Cheers lumas  biggrin.gif , I'll try to cut down on the amount of refined sugar I eat.

View Post

Don't forget corn syrup & high fructose corn syrup ;-)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.