Photo

Epsom Salts, Tea tree & Vinegar

red mark oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
182 replies to this topic

#61 deville

deville

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(noether @ Nov 21 2004, 04:37 AM)
Deville, what brand of tea tree oil do you use, and where do you get it?  Is there something you should look for in a brand to determine if it's quality?

View Post

Yes, I tried Jason's tea tree oil a few months back, and it did NOTHING...so I almost gave up on tea tree oil, as it just made my skin greasy. Then I read that the amount of terpinen in the oil was what caused it to have antibacterial properties. The only one that I have found to have a 'guaranteed' amount of Terpinen-4-ol is Thursday Plantation. It doesn't make my skin greasy, just sinks right in and has 36% guaranteed Terpinen...which is more than enough to kill off those pesky p.acnes:)

#62 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(deville @ Nov 21 2004, 07:49 AM)
Yes, I tried Jason's tea tree oil a few months back, and it did NOTHING...so I almost gave up on tea tree oil, as it just made my skin greasy.  Then I read that the amount of  terpinen in the oil was what caused it to have antibacterial properties.  The only one that I have found to have a 'guaranteed' amount of Terpinen-4-ol is Thursday Plantation.  It doesn't make my skin greasy, just sinks right in and has 36% guaranteed Terpinen...which is more than enough to kill off those pesky p.acnes:)

View Post

hi, i just bought this thursday plantation tea tree oil but it says nothing about Terpinen on it?? does yours say that on it?

#63 deville

deville

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE(damn @ Nov 23 2004, 01:28 AM)
hi, i just bought this thursday plantation tea tree oil but it says nothing about Terpinen on it?? does yours say that on it?

View Post

Yes, mine says it at the bottom of the label ' guranteed terpinen-4-ol 36%'

#64 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:33 AM

Hi all,

Deville just want to know exactly how much water, vinegar and tea tree oil are we talking about in terms of your pH balanced rince?

tnx

#65 lafasta

lafasta

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:47 AM

Just wondering...can your skin get used to the epsom salts? Because i had a bad breakout today after having completely clear skin by using the salts with tea tree oil. cry.gif I got red spots all over! I thought maybe my skin has gotten used to the epsom salts and now it doesn't work anymore. Is this possible?? Please help!

#66 deville

deville

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:55 AM

Damn - I kind of just fill my bathroom sink about 1/4 of the way full with warm water, add about 1-2 drops of tea tree oil, and a 'splash' of vinegar...how much exactly of the vinegar?? Well, judging from the splash, I'd say about 3-4 tablespoons:)
Well I'm due for an update...I havn't been writing because...well, I've started going out...yes, I can actually leave my house now, in the middle of the day, and not worry about people staring at my face (which used to be covered in makeup in my unsuccessfull attempts at hiding my breakouts)...but now, all I need are a couple dabs of concealer (just for a few red marks left), and I'm off. Geez, I'm getting a little teary eyed here just thinking about how much confidence I've gained...and how much my relationships with people in general have improved (ie. my friends, my parents, my boyfriend)...I'm not afraid to look them in the face anymore, cause I don't even think about my face anymore!!
And it's such a relief.
Granted, I still get the odd whitehead...as ukochana has said she still gets a couple of those too...but a whitehead is gone as soon as you pop it, while zits and their red marks linger...well, for me they were beginning to linger forever!!
I am so glad to have gotten off all those chemicals which were burning my skin off, and I'm so glad to have found this site, with all of its helpful comments...which gave me the tips to create my own regimen that has given me clear skin which I thought I would never see again (well, not until I was forty, and too old to care anymore:)
So, thank you all...and I will continue to pop in every now and again...as I'm eternally grateful to this site.
And I wish everyone luck in getting clear...just remember that your skin is different, and you need to find your own level of tolerance...and that you need to give things a chance for at least a week before you move on!!

#67 deville

deville

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(lafasta @ Nov 26 2004, 04:47 PM)
Just wondering...can your skin get used to the epsom salts?  Because i had a bad breakout today after having completely clear skin by using the salts with tea tree oil.  cry.gif  I got red spots all over!  I thought maybe my skin has gotten used to the epsom salts and now it doesn't work anymore.  Is this possible?? Please help!

View Post

Hey Lafasta,
Hmm...your skin shouldn't be used to it...but I don't use epsom salts all over anymore, I just dab them on the areas that are breaking out. Also, I've come up with a whole regimen that covers all the bases: ie. exfoliation with baking soda every day...ph balancing with vinegar...disinfection with manuka and tea tree oil...and healing with epsom salts. I also use face masks every couple of days - I love egg white masks.
Are you just using epsom salts and tea tree? Cause maybe your skin got out of balance if you weren't doing the vinegar rinse? My derm told me that bacteria can't survive in an acidic environment, so maybe you created an environment that was too basic. But that's just my guessing here. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you...but check out my regimen a page back and maybe get some tips, cause it worked wonders for me.

#68 lafasta

lafasta

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:18 AM

deville, i've just been using the tea tree oil on it's own and the epsom salt, so maybe u'r right. I'm going to try mixing it with vinegar. Hopefully that will help!

#69 dr4ma

dr4ma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:33 AM

hey deville -

First of all i just wanted to say I'm glad you found somehting that works for you and are sharing with the rest of the community.

My question is about the baking soda you just implemented into your regimen. Theres another thread (OMG GUYS!!! YOU MUST TRY THIS!!!!) that has a regimen really similar to yours, except that they use baking soda instead of epsom salts. I know their chemical compounds are different, but do they act in the same manner? Whats the main difference you can tell by your use of them so far? Oh, btw do you think the baking soda needs to be fresh? i know i've got some in the house but i'm sure its erally old.

#70 deville

deville

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(dr4ma @ Nov 27 2004, 03:33 PM)
hey deville -

First of all i just wanted to say I'm glad you found somehting that works for you and are sharing with the rest of the community. 

My question is about the baking soda you just implemented into your regimen.  Theres another thread (OMG GUYS!!! YOU MUST TRY THIS!!!!) that has a regimen really similar to yours, except that they use baking soda instead of epsom salts.  I know their chemical compounds are different, but do they act in the same manner?  Whats the main difference you can tell by your use of them so far?  Oh, btw do you think the baking soda needs to be fresh? i know i've got some in the house but i'm sure its erally old.

View Post

Hello...yes, I've checked that regimen out, except they do something which I wouldn't recommend, and that is applying the vinegar solution directly on the skin - when I tried that before with the vinegar method, it totally broke me out, and irritated all of my old scabs, which were really slow to heal. So I do the baking soda scrub once a day because it really helps with getting rid of all the dry skin that clogs pores. Then I balance my ph by rinsing with a water + vinegar + tea tree oil solution - awesome stuff!!
I use the epsom salt solution at night on any patches of healing spots, or if I see that I have flaky skin at night, then I'll use the epsom salts as a scrub. Epsom salts draw out the pus inside of pimples, as well as heal existing acne about 3X faster (for my skin anyways).
If you had the baking soda in the fridge, then I would advise buying a new carton because it is used to absorb smells from other foods (so I guess it builds up in the soda??)...but if you just had it lying around, then it's ok to use it.
I also think that Living Nature's Manuka Honey & oil gel is in part responsible for the beautiful glow that my skin has regained. Take a look at my regimen a page back & experiment with your skin (mine needs tons of exfoliation...so that's what I've learned by experimenting)
Good luck

#71 bern

bern

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2004 - 06:52 PM

Just like to add ive recently tried using epsom salts. THey are absolutely amazing. My skin glows like never before afterwards. I had a zit on my cheek, which was probably going to turn into quite a big one. I applied a pad dipped into epsom salts onto it, everything went to the surface within an hour. Absolutely amazing. I popped it very carefully, i know for 100% that i have removed it.

Just like to thank the creator of this thread, i'd heard about epsom salts in the past, but never really knew how to use them. The stuff gives my skin a healthy glow, its amazing!

#72 the_alphabetman

the_alphabetman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:55 AM

Hi, first time poster here. I am 23 years old and for the past year, I have been suffering from cystic acne. It's not too bad I guess, but I am very self-conscious about it. My acne is mostly the cystic kind that just hangs around for weeks on end. Some of cysts hurt when I put pressure on them while a few are just kind of there.

Well, I bought some Epsom salt yesterday and started using it. In the afternoon, I exfoliate with a small handful of the salt, then I use a cotton ball to dab my face with a high concentration salt solution. I let it dry on my face and wash it off after 1-1.5 hours.

So far I don't see much difference. I think it may have helped the redness of my acne, but I'm not quite sure. I'll use the salt for a week or two and report the results here.

#73 ROCislandwarrior

ROCislandwarrior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:16 AM

It has been a long while since I have posted on here. I have been using the epsom salts on my face for the last 4 days and it has made a difference. I still have acne, but my breakouts are so small and they go away in a day or two. I went from having Moderate acne to very mild acne. I still have about 5-8 active spots on my face but they are so small.

Then tonight at work something amazing happened. A fellow male co-worker of mine stopped in the middle of a conversation we were having and told me what a great complexion I had. He said he normally doesn't notice other males skin but said that mine looked very good.

I honestly can't remember the last time someone complimented my skin.
____----__----__------___----___-----___----__-
I don't give a...

#74 bern

bern

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:33 AM

Yeah, its amazing for the complexion. I've got acne scarring on my cheeks. Epsom salts makes the skin and the scars look so much better, its really quite wierd. My scarring does not bother me right now.

#75 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:13 AM

Hi all,

Well the regimen was great, atleast for the 4 or 5 days it was. I mean i had seen some amazing improvements from this regimen and very thankful for the person who went out of thier way to post this thread and shared their regimen with us.

Like i was saying the first 4-5 days was excellent, my skin looked its best, not only didnt help rid acne but also with the scars. I honestly had a girl in my class actually talk to me for the first time after like 5 months of being in the same class, this girl was like the "it" girl of the year so i was thinking by next week (this was last week comenting) that i'd rid my acne completely and no more breakouts.

Unfortunately the six day started to go wrong, my skin was looking as bad as before and now around day 8 after starting regimen my acne has come back for more cry.gif . I really can't understand it, seems everything i try works for a little while and then and explosion of breakouts, mind you hardly any white heads just zits and these things don't go away for a while. Am i doing something wrong?
this is my current regimen

Morning:
Wash Face with lavenda soap
Rince face with vinegar, water, and tea tree oil

Night:
Scrub face with baking soda, rince
Rince face with vinegar, water, and tea tree oil
Apply epsom salt on pads, remove pads after the dry up and rince

Is there something im not doing or......
Any help is greatly appreciated, Sorry bout long post

#76 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:15 AM

1 more thing, sorry about any spelling mistakes its pretty late and i feel very sleepy but im share u can make out the errors

#77 deville

deville

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:10 AM

Hi damn,
I'm sorry to hear that you broke out again...but it's about perseverence, so if something's not working, then you need to tweak your regimen. I advise not using bar soap of any kind, cause the ingredients that keep it in its bar form are comedogenic themselves (I should know, my first breakouts were caused by Clinque's 'miraculous' 3 step system which included a very drying bar soap). Anyhow, since you have more stubborn acne you should up the ante in battling it - instead of soap, try the baking soda in the morning...mix it with some water, a couple drops of tea tree oil, and scrub - mind you, you have to scrub for about a minute to get all the dead skin off. Then rinse it off w/ water and then vinegar w/ water. Don't use creams of any kind, except in gel form (did I mention how much I love living nature products?? Yes, well the manuka gel is a must have).
At night, I recommend using a gel-based cleanser to get rid of the day's accumulated oils (cetaphil for oily skin is non-drying for me). NO BAR SOAPS. Then, either use the epsom salts as a scrub, or as a toner (just on the places you're breaking out/have healing scars), oh, and why do you rinse off? Just leave the epsom solution on all night. I usually also use my manuka gel at night...so that could be preventing my breakouts as well. On that note, I went concealer free for the first time last night...and my skin looked pretty darn good...still some hyperpigmentation marks, and I'm not totally ready to go out into the natural light without cover-up, but I'm getting there:)
Anyways, hope this helps...don't give up...and if you're really breaking out badly, then maybe use the bp in conjunction with this regimen...cause what works for me, might not work for you.

#78 the_alphabetman

the_alphabetman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

Ok, third day using the salts. I think my skin must be going through a bad phase because I have more pimples than I did yesterday. Luckily, it's a Saturday so no school. I hope it clears up a litle by Monday though.

#79 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 04:50 AM

hi all,
well after almost 2 weeks on the regimen, things have gotten out of hand. Now im breaking out on my forehead which hasn't broken out in like a year now ive got like 8 of active red pimple/zits. I don't know what more i can do, maybe its time for another round of accutane...
For those interested my regimen goes like this

Morning:
Baking soda with water and tea tree oil, scrub,rinse
Scrub with epsom salt, rinse and dry

Night:
Baking soda with water and tea tree oil, scrub,rinse
Rinse face with water,vinegar,dry face
Soak cotten balls / tissue sometimes with epsom salt with water and apply to face. Remove and rinse when pads/tissues are dry.

Maybe there is something wrong??? i don't know, i guess im cursed cry.gif

#80 lafasta

lafasta

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:32 AM

Just wondering, would it be a bad idea to use an SA face wash with this regimen. The reason i ask is because i've been using this regimen for a while now, and it has helped me alot. But i have all these tiny whiteheads that keep popping out everywhere, and i don't know how to stop them. I've read everywhere that SA might help. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.