Photo

Hydroquinone, how long to see results?

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 simon17777

simon17777

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:58 AM

How long does it take hydroquinone to fade acne red marks?
Has anyone succeed in treating their red marks with hydroquinone?
Which brand do you recommend?
I have use both Lustra and Ultraquin Gel, doesn't look like they are working at all.

#2 girlygal

girlygal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(girlygal @ Nov 3 2004, 01:29 PM)

View Post

I am now noticing that my dark spots are fading I am using hydroquione 4% it is about a month.

#3 simon17777

simon17777

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:52 PM

Hi
Which hydroquinone brand are you using?

#4 girlygal

girlygal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(simon17777 @ Nov 6 2004, 05:52 AM)
Hi

View Post

I just looked at the tube for you it says Hydroquione usp 4% bleaching cream, it works well. Most insurances do not cover it the price was hundred bucks.

#5 ruperki9

ruperki9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:56 PM

I use Obagi system through my cosmetic surgeon. My face is nice and clear now.It is ridiculously expensive though.About $400. But the system works very fast. At least it did for me,about 2 months. biggrin.gif

#6 FantasyCLover

FantasyCLover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:07 PM

hydroquinone causes cancer

#7 ruperki9

ruperki9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(FantasyCLover @ Nov 11 2004, 10:07 PM)
hydroquinone causes cancer

View Post

Where did you hear that? Or where is there documented evidence that it does cause cancer?Dont just make a statement like that ,without anything to back it up with!Maybe you are right or maybe you just like to make shocking statements to scare people! eusa_naughty.gif

#8 FantasyCLover

FantasyCLover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:02 PM

I'm serious though, hydroquinone has been made illegal in Asia due to extensive use of it to brighten asian skin. Hydroquinone is a cancerous 'agent'. It can make you more prone to cancer if you use too much. 10% is the max, anything more than that you need to see ur derm and get a prescription. Just google it, and you'll see that it causes cancer

#9 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:33 PM

Basically there are a range of opinions and research out there on hydroquinone - if you are using a product temporarily at a low % I would imagine it poses a pretty small risk.Here is what Paul Begoun has to say about

From Cosmetics Cop

Hydroquinone
Over-the-counter skin-lightening products often contain 2% hydroquinone, while 4% concentrations are available only from a physician. Hydroquinone is a strong inhibitor of melanin production (source: Journal of Dermatological Science, August, 2001, Supplemental pages S68–S75), meaning that it lightens skin color. Hydroquinone does not bleach the skin (calling it a bleaching agent is a misnomer); it only disrupts the synthesis of melanin hyperpigmentation.

In the medical literature Hydroquinone is considered the primary topical ingredient for inhibiting melanin production. Using it in combination with the other options listed can make a difference in skin discolorations (Sources: Journal of Cosmetic Science, May-June 1998, pages 208–290; Dermatological Surgery, May 1996, pages 443–447).

Some concerns about hydroquinone's safety on skin have been expressed, but the research indicates reactions are minor or a result of using extremely high concentrations (Source: Critical Reviews in Toxicology, May 1999, pages 283–330).

According to Howard I. Maibach, M.D., professor of dermatology at the University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco, "Overall, adverse events reported with the use of hydroquinone... have been relatively few and minor in nature.... To date there is no evidence of adverse systemic reactions following the use of hydroquinone"?and it has been around for over 30 years in skin-care products. Maibach has also stated that "hydroquinone is undoubtedly the most active and safest skin-depigmenting substance... ." Research supporting Maibach's contentions was published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 1998, pages 301–317.

Hydroquinone can be an unstable ingredient in cosmetic formulations. When exposed to air or sunlight it can turn a strange shade of brown. It is essential, when you are considering a hydroquinone product, to make sure it is packaged in a non-transparent container that doesn't let light in and minimizes air exposure. Hydroquinone products packaged in jars are not recommended, because they become ineffective shortly after opening.

Of course if you research hydroquinone and don't feel comfortable - then don't use it.

#10 Suz123

Suz123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(girlygal @ Nov 6 2004, 09:37 AM)
Hi

View Post

I just looked at the tube for you it says Hydroquione usp 4% bleaching cream, it works well. Most insurances do not cover it the price was hundred bucks.

View Post

#11 Suz123

Suz123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

Hi

View Post

View Post

The cheapest place to buy Ultraquin is Canada. If you have any friends there or anybody is traveling they can get you some. I just got a 15g tube for about $15.00 US. The medication is sold over the counter in any pharmacy.

#12 hi everyone

hi everyone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Suz123 @ Sep 13 2005, 12:23 AM)
Hi

View Post

View Post

The cheapest place to buy Ultraquin is Canada. If you have any friends there or anybody is traveling they can get you some. I just got a 15g tube for about $15.00 US. The medication is sold over the counter in any pharmacy.

View Post

try the aspirin mask...truly amazing

#13 keisha

keisha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

I've been using my 4% hydoquoine for about 2 weeks. Hasn't really notice any changes but doctor told me to be patient because it takes time. On the other hand, my mom who has melasma (dark brown spots) has about 80% improvement on her skin. She is very happy with the results.

#14 keisha

keisha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

By the way my mom has been using it consistently every night in conjunction with sunscreen during day time for about a month and a half.

#15 presrox

presrox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:23 AM

OMG NO DONT USE THAT! i have to go now ill reply later but dont use hydroquinone cancer!!!

#16 zachi

zachi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(simon17777 @ Nov 3 2004, 03:28 PM)
How long does it take hydroquinone to fade acne red marks?
Has anyone succeed in treating their red marks with hydroquinone?
Which brand do you recommend?
I have use both Lustra and Ultraquin Gel, doesn't look like they are working at all.

View Post

I used a product Shanaz Hussain - ShaBright which faded a lot of my scars. Dont know if its freely available in the west. Its an indian product.

#17 zachi

zachi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(FantasyCLover @ Nov 12 2004, 08:32 AM)
I'm serious though, hydroquinone has been made illegal in Asia due to extensive use of it to brighten asian skin.  Hydroquinone is a cancerous 'agent'.  It can make you more prone to cancer if you use too much.  10% is the max, anything more than that you need to see ur derm and get a prescription.  Just google it, and you'll see that it causes cancer

View Post

Yes I have heard that too. If you use it for too long you run the risk of developing skin cancer.I am from asia and the highest strenght available here is 2%.

#18 vicky83

vicky83

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

What kind of skin did you have? Did Obagi help you with your red marks and some shallow pit scars? I have alot of really red hyperpigmentation and some scars, and a few minor acne. Do you have before/after pictures??

QUOTE(ruperki9 @ Nov 10 2004, 11:56 PM) View Post

I use Obagi system through my cosmetic surgeon. My face is nice and clear now.It is ridiculously expensive though.About $400. But the system works very fast. At least it did for me,about 2 months. biggrin.gif

#19 6years+

6years+

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:21 AM

The stuff is brilliant i've been using this 2% hydroquinone (DDF fade gel 4 comes with hydroquinone 2% and kojic acid, doesn't cause any acne,) consistently for the past month or so and WOW is there a difference, i used to have to smeer on the makeup but now i can go out without it and my friends usually don't even notice! I've also read up on the carcinogenic concearns out there but as it has been stated earlier, 30 years without any direct links to cancer (and even the rat tests were with high concentrations)? Come on, the stuff is the only thing that is proven to work effectively why would a majority of the derms in the US oppose the FDA ban? That's just my 2c though =D

#20 beany

beany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Suz123 @ Sep 12 2005, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (girlygal @ Nov 6 2004, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (simon17777 @ Nov 6 2004, 05:52 AM)
Hi

really? i didnt know you could get it over the counter here...i will prolly go try that if the stuff i am using doesnt work.

Regimen...FINISHED ACCUTANE MAY 4th 2008!!!

Morning
cetaphil
aveeno spf 30

Evening
cetaphil
mama lotion