Photo

If Acne Was Caused By Diet Why Would It Only Start At Puberty?

67 replies to this topic

#21 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

I was not talking about "two-bit side of the road nutritionists" whatever that is.   I was talking about the typical conventional nutritionist trained in our Universities and part of our conventional medical establishment that has given bad advice for decades and led us to become such a sickly culture that children get not only diseases that should only occur in the elderly (and really shouldn't occur then either) like type II diabetes, but diseases that didn't even used to exist like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. 

The ones filling our hospitals and other healthcare facilities, schools, and government agencies, the medical & nutrition experts employed by the news media. 

They seem determined to focus on the wrong problems and the wrong solutions.  You might think it was a conspiracy to sell more drugs. Because they certainly are succeeding at that.  The amount of drugs taken by the average person these days is incredible. 

Acne is certainly not an IgE-driven allergy such as a peanut or egg allergy seen in childhood. But there are many other antibodies involved in immunity, and whole sections of the immune system that don't bother to use antibodies. There are even other types of hypersensitivity - types 1 through 4. It is conceivable that acne, which is without question a physical manifestation of an immune response, could in some cases be propagated by food antigens, even using one of our existing definitions of hypersensitivity.

Yes.  It's not a IgE mediated response.  Acne involves delayed type III response involving other antibodies or inflammatory responses.   But unfortunately, the average doctor/allergist only cares about the immediate response IgE mediated reactions. As they can kill you. 

However, I do not agree that our immune system is screwed up. At least not any more than most people (including clear skinned people who are also suffering from their crappy diets and lifestyles, they just don't get the symptom of acne because of a few genetic tendencies).  Some of us might have a 'screwed up immune system', just like some of us might have PCOS, thyroid problems, digestive tract problems, the weak livers so many want to claim we have, etc. 

And that would be why simply switching to as close to the diet and lifestyle habits humans should have isn't enough to clear them. They need to do a little more to focus on their particular health issues. Extra nutrients. Even better habits.  Temporary healing diets, etc.

She thinks that oranges cause acne.

No.   I know that oranges cause me to break out in cysts.  And several other people have found the same.  Citrus intolerance is quite common.  And I have frequently commented that I don't consider it to be true acne. 

Do you ever make a valid comment?  Seriously.

Edited by alternativista, 27 July 2014 - 06:09 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#22 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

why would those immunity incidents result in acne? a weird little growths on ur most important part face? why not just get flu?
and why its even breaking out on face at all when body can produce acne on other body parts just as well? but the 1st thing it will screw up will be your precious face for what reason?
so why does body has no aesthetical sense or priority sense whatsoever?? ok there are immunity and diff damage repair systems, liver for toxins etc but doesnt this just seems like a major error??

and puberty is supposed to end altho idk when?

also its superweird, ur trying to grow up, to form, to get better, stronger, to get good looking but instead get fuked up in various ways....

nd wrong immune response...dont u just fix it, basically immunity, with just taking vitamins, garlic nd such? 

Why do we get spots on our skin when we have chickenpox? It's a similar idea - the spots are a visible measure of health. By warning others you protect them, and by protecting them you protect your genetic relatives and increase your propagative potential.

Your skin is not homogenous, which explains why only some parts get the spots. And there are almost certainly multiple causes of acne, which also explains why different parts get spots. It makes sense that the face is the most common if the spots are doing their job; spots on the face ward people off much better than do spots on the back or arms, as you suggest.

I think it's important to remember that our bodies do not have an imperative to be the best individuals we can be. Our bodies have in fact evolved with an imperative to increase our individual propagation. Sometimes this is accomplished by being sexy. Other times it is accomplished by preventing people from interacting with you while you are unhealthy, and potentially jeopardizing their health, and thus your own propagation.

Finally, the immune system is incredibly complicated. It's not too difficult to mess it up, especially when we're so far removed from natural circumstances. Lack on interaction with environment, poor diet, ultra-cleanliness, and all sorts of chemicals all add to the burden our immune systems have to deal with day in and day out. You can't remove that burden by taking vitamins. Good nutrition will help to make your immune system more efficient; but an efficient and messed up immune system, is still messed up.

#23 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

why would those immunity incidents result in acne? a weird little growths on ur most important part face? why not just get flu?
and why its even breaking out on face at all when body can produce acne on other body parts just as well? but the 1st thing it will screw up will be your precious face for what reason?
so why does body has no aesthetical sense or priority sense whatsoever?? ok there are immunity and diff damage repair systems, liver for toxins etc but doesnt this just seems like a major error??

They result in acne because of the increased level of inflammation in the body. Inflammation initiates acne formation. 

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#24 TemperateCent

TemperateCent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

I was not talking about "two-bit side of the road nutritionists" whatever that is.   I was talking about the typical conventional nutritionist trained in our Universities and part of our conventional medical establishment that has given bad advice for decades and led us to become such a sickly culture that children get not only diseases that should only occur in the elderly (and really shouldn't occur then either) like type II diabetes, but diseases that didn't even used to exist like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. 

The ones filling our hospitals and other healthcare facilities, schools, and government agencies, the medical & nutrition experts employed by the news media. 

They seem determined to focus on the wrong problems and the wrong solutions.  You might think it was a conspiracy to sell more drugs. Because they certainly are succeeding at that.  The amount of drugs taken by the average person these days is incredible. 

Acne is certainly not an IgE-driven allergy such as a peanut or egg allergy seen in childhood. But there are many other antibodies involved in immunity, and whole sections of the immune system that don't bother to use antibodies. There are even other types of hypersensitivity - types 1 through 4. It is conceivable that acne, which is without question a physical manifestation of an immune response, could in some cases be propagated by food antigens, even using one of our existing definitions of hypersensitivity.

Yes.  It's not a IgE mediated response.  Acne involves delayed type III response involving other antibodies or inflammatory responses.   But unfortunately, the average doctor/allergist only cares about the immediate response IgE mediated reactions. As they can kill you. 

However, I do not agree that our immune system is screwed up. At least not any more than most people (including clear skinned people who are also suffering from their crappy diets and lifestyles, they just don't get the symptom of acne because of a few genetic tendencies).  Some of us might have a 'screwed up immune system', just like some of us might have PCOS, thyroid problems, digestive tract problems, the weak livers so many want to claim we have, etc. 

And that would be why simply switching to as close to the diet and lifestyle habits humans should have isn't enough to clear them. They need to do a little more to focus on their particular health issues. Extra nutrients. Even better habits.  Temporary healing diets, etc.

No.   I know that oranges cause me to break out in cysts.  And several other people have found the same.  Citrus intolerance is quite common.  And I have frequently commented that I don't consider it to be true acne. 

Why does your diet make you such an unhappy person?

@TemperateCent ; . The reason you still have acne is because you deserve it. 

#25 Wishonastar

Wishonastar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

>>She thinks that oranges cause acne.

lockquote>

Do you ever make a valid comment?  Seri

ously.lockquote>

I'm going to take a shot In the dark and say it's because she may have an eating disorder. The fact that she said "everyone is unhealthy" and that "all nutritionists promote an unhealthy diet" , " everyone is going to get diabetes" demonstrates that healthy eating is an obsession for this woman and that nothing is "healthy enough". Sort of like how an anorexic can never be thin enough, this women can never eat healthy enough and is obsessed with attaining flawless nutrition.

There's a name for this type of eating disorder but I forget what it's called.

.. Also if acne was an immunological condition like some of you are saying why don't they just treat it with steroids? They don't, because it's not. 

no derm considers acne an "inflammatory disease" it's considered hormonal and tends to be hereditary. 

Meh I tried. Believe whatever you want. 

Edited by Wishonastar, 27 July 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#26 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

.. Also if acne was an immunological condition like some of you are saying why don't they just treat it with steroids? They don't, because it's not. 

no derm considers acne an "inflammatory disease" it's considered hormonal and tends to be hereditary. 

You could try reading this article, since I know you will not take my word for it: http://www.medscape....warticle/448506

Dermatologists today were educated with principles decades now outdated. Recent research shows that acne is an outcome of immune dysfunction:

Isotretinoin normalizes TLR2-mediated immune response: http://www.nature.co...id2012111a.html

Correlation between certain immune factors and acne severity: http://eng.med.wanfa...e=zhpf201102017

Microcomedogenesis driven by immune factors: http://europepmc.org...ct/MED/23986176

The information our medical practitioners have is from time to time outdated.

Edited by Quetzlcoatl, 27 July 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#27 Wishonastar

Wishonastar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

You could try reading this article, since I know you will not take my word for it: http://www.medscape....warticle/448506

Dermatologists today were educated with principles decades now outdated. Recent research shows that acne is an outcome of immune dysfunction:

Isotretinoin normalized TLR2-mediated immune response: http://www.nature.co...id2012111a.html

Correlation between certain immune factors and acne severity: http://eng.med.wanfa...e=zhpf201102017

Microcomedogenesis driven by immune factors: http://europepmc.org...ct/MED/23986176

The information our medical practitioners have is from time to time outdated.

These are studies not facts. Not every study is right actually many are absurdly flawed (vaccines cause autism ect.). 

I think what you're trying to say is that acne is really an immune system issue. If that were the case wouldn't that spread over into other aspects of the immune system? Wouldn't acne patients be sick all the time if they were so immune impaired. 

I have had acne since I was 12 which warranted Accutane at 17 and have always had a normal immune system. Even as a now ventilator dependent quadriplegic I rarely ever get sick with UTI's or upper respitory infections. Why is that? 

#28 psychokitty

psychokitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Then why do I brake out like mad crazy when I eat chololate?

#29 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

These are studies not facts. Not every study is right actually many are absurdly flawed (vaccines cause autism ect.). 

I think what you're trying to say is that acne is really an immune system issue. If that were the case wouldn't that spread over into other aspects of the immune system? Wouldn't acne patients be sick all the time if they were so immune impaired. 

I have had acne since I was 12 which warranted Accutane at 17 and have always had a normal immune system. Even as a now ventilator dependent quadriplegic I rarely ever get sick with UTI's or upper respitory infections. Why is that? 

Nothing is really a fact, but we have occam's razor for that. Acne has nothing to do with having a 'good' or 'bad' immune system. It has to do with having parts of your immune system dysregulated. And yes, sometimes you will see bleedover effects - people with acne are more likely to be diagnosed with celiac disease, IBD, and dandruff, for example. These same people might have perfectly aligned immune responses to unrelated threats - maybe they have shitty skin, but never catch a cold. Is their immune system good or bad? Neither, really. They just never learned to tolerate a particular microbe that lives on their skin because somewhere along the line, something interfered with the development of a normal immune response to that one microbe.

#30 AcneWonderland

AcneWonderland

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:skin, face, looks

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

if acne is indicator of health problems and my only health problem is acne then does that means its indicating itself? 

why yea i do feel like a pest nd warding ppl off is my speciality but acne itself isnt even infectous right? altho its said after u picked pimple dont rub it or else it will spread so by that logic i could get stuff outta my pimple nd smear it on other ppl face nd infect them with acne??

idk what propagative nd homogenous means, translator doesnt have those so i got u just approx...

and if we have messed up immune system wouldnt we get flu/fever more oftenly too? 

so inflammation is basically body dealing with infection but where is it getting infected from?  

and acne contains that white crap in it, wheres sebum, oil and those bacteria

so p.acnes thing. where do they come from so continuously? body wouldnt generate somikinda unneeded bacteria itself only to try toget rid of it next, would it? 

~my face will be the death of me~

acne: resistance is futile!

#31 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

if acne is indicator of health problems and my only health problem is acne then does that means its indicating itself? 

why yea i do feel like a pest nd warding ppl off is my speciality but acne itself isnt even infectous right? altho its said after u picked pimple dont rub it or else it will spread so by that logic i could get stuff outta my pimple nd smear it on other ppl face nd infect them with acne??

idk what propagative nd homogenous means, translator doesnt have those so i got u just approx...

and if we have messed up immune system wouldnt we get flu/fever more oftenly too? 

so inflammation is basically body dealing with infection but where is it getting infected from?  

so p.acnes thing. where do they come from so continuously? body wouldnt generate somikinda unneeded bacteria itself only to try toget rid of it next, would it? 

Acne itself is not a health problem, and yeah it's not infectious. Rather it is an indicator of a dysregulated immune system - which itself could indicate some sort of correlated/coexisting problem. In our modern age we induce acne by means that probably do not lead to correlated health problems, though; my explanation of acne as a tool to ward people off was intended to describe the circumstances under which acne as a mechanism of self defense probably evolved.

The immune system can be messed up in very specific ways. People with celiac - an immunological condition that causes pain when they eat wheat - do not get the flu more often. The rest of their immune systems are fine. It's just that one response that is messed up. A similar (but broader) thing is probably happening in acne.

The inflammation we see in acne is the body responding to something it shouldn't. Lots of bacteria live on our skin. Our immune systems tolerate these microbes, and allow them to live peacefully. In the case of acne, our immune systems are, for some reason or another, not tolerating these microbes, and instead are seeking to destroy them. Thus, acne. Of course, our immune systems can never kill all the bacteria. They are all around us, all over our skin, and buried beneath layers of our skin too, living in our pores. And so the acne persists. Of course, the bacteria are only one possible culprit. Food antigens could very similarly cause the same exact response.

#32 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

See.  Another invalid comment.

#33 Wishonastar

Wishonastar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Acne itself is not a health problem, and yeah it's not infectious. Rather it is an indicator of a dysregulated immune system - which itself could indicate some sort of correlated/coexisting problem. In our modern age we induce acne by means that probably do not lead to correlated health problems, though; my explanation of acne as a tool to ward people off was intended to describe the circumstances under which acne as a mechanism of self defense probably evolved.

The immune system can be messed up in very specific ways. People with celiac - an immunological condition that causes pain when they eat wheat - do not get the flu more often. The rest of their immune systems are fine. It's just that one response that is messed up. A similar (but broader) thing is probably happening in acne.

The inflammation we see in acne is the body responding to something it shouldn't. Lots of bacteria live on our skin. Our immune systems tolerate these microbes, and allow them to live peacefully. In the case of acne, our immune systems are, for some reason or another, not tolerating these microbes, and instead are seeking to destroy them. Thus, acne. Of course, our immune systems can never kill all the bacteria. They are all around us, all over our skin, and buried beneath layers of our skin too, living in our pores. And so the acne persists. Of course, the bacteria are only one possible culprit. Food antigens could very similarly cause the same exact response.

Actually from what I've read over the years is that sebaceous glands are not good at holding on to bacteria which means bacteria plays little role in acne. 

The body can just have an inflammatory response to hormones its self which is why acne tends to get worse around a woman's menstrual cycle (always did with mine). 

I also don't know where the heck you get the idea that acne is meant to stop people from reproducing? What the heck? There are loads of people with acne that marry and have children. People really don't care that much. 

#34 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Actually from what I've read over the years is that sebaceous glands are not good at holding on to bacteria which means bacteria plays little role in acne. 

The body can just have an inflammatory response to hormones its self which is why acne tends to get worse around a woman's menstrual cycle (always did with mine). 

I also don't know where the heck you get the idea that acne is meant to stop people from reproducing? What the heck? There are loads of people with acne that marry and have children. People really don't care that much. 

I was speaking from a purely evolutionary standpoint. People didn't get married during the vast majority of our evolution. As for hormones, it's true that they play a role, but that role is not causative. Everyone's hormones change at puberty, yet not everyone gets acne. Males get acne, and males do not have a menstrual cycle. 

It is true that the microcomedone forms before colonization of the lesion with bacteria. However, that does not mean that bacteria are not involved; bacteria; antigens released by these bacteria onto the general skin environment can provoke an immune response that eventually leads to bacteria-infiltrated lesions.

#35 Wishonastar

Wishonastar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

I was speaking from a purely evolutionary standpoint. People didn't get married during the vast majority of our evolution. As for hormones, it's true that they play a role, but that role is not causative. Everyone's hormones change at puberty, yet not everyone gets acne. Males get acne, and males do not have a menstrual cycle. 

It is true that the microcomedone forms before colonization of the lesion with bacteria. However, that does not mean that bacteria are not involved; bacteria; antigens released by these bacteria onto the general skin environment can provoke an immune response that eventually leads to bacteria-infiltrated lesions.

The people not getting acne at puberty may not be producing as much oil as someone who does and I bet their skin isn't as easily prone to be clogged either . 

#36 psychokitty

psychokitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Could perhaps, maybe, it be different for everyone? Some people have hormonal acne, other's have diet related, and then others maybe it has to do with their immune systems? Have you ever noticed sometime identical twins don't always both have acne?

Edited by psychokitty, 27 July 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#37 Wishonastar

Wishonastar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Could perhaps, maybe, it be different for everyone? Some people have hormonal acne, other's have diet related, and then others maybe it has to do with their immune systems? Have you ever noticed sometime identical twins don't always both have acne?

From what I know there are really no special types of acne. It's all influenced by hormones and genes and to a lesser extent environment. Everyone who gets acne carries acne genes that makes them prone to this condition. 

I dont know how that's not obvious by now?

#38 psychokitty

psychokitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

From what I know there are really no special types of acne. It's all influenced by hormones and genes and to a lesser extent environment. Everyone who gets acne carries acne genes that makes them prone to this condition. 

From what you know? That says a lot? If you choose to believe that, that is totally fine. A lot of people are really in tune with their bodies and know exactly what foods effect them. Doctors tend to want people to take meds for things rather than fix them them through their diet. They wouldn't make any money if people were fiixing everything through diet. And how THAT that is not obvious by now I do not know. But all in all I don't really care. It's probably better most people try to fix their crappy diets anyway.

Edited by psychokitty, 27 July 2014 - 11:51 PM.

#39 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

Think about that for a minute. The acne is caused by diet claims are ludicrous. Acne is a hormonal disease  with a strong genetic link (bad acne tends to run in families). 

Stop with the conspiracies. 

Because at and after puberty the sebaceous glands are activated, and readily affected by the on going hormonal changes within the body.Hormones are greatly affected and often are a teeter totter during these years which indirectly increase acne. 

No conspiracies here. Diet at the teenage and adult level does effect acne. To what degree is the genetic factor. 

From what you know? That says a lot? If you choose to believe that, that is totally fine. A lot of people are really in tune with their bodies and know exactly what foods effect them. Doctors tend to want people to take meds for things rather than fix them them through their diet. They wouldn't make any money if people were fiixing everything through diet. And how THAT that is not obvious by now I do not know. But all in all I don't really care. It's probably better most people try to fix their crappy diets anyway.

I think you have some crazy thinking on your doctor belief.

If you go to the doc for acne they will do as conventional medicine in med school has taught them. This is prescribing medication. While diet, exercise, genetics and other factors play a role in acne, none of this is directly proven consistently to the point it has made its way into teaching and textbooks. I wish to fix people as much as the next nurse or doctor. I want people not to be ill or suffer from acne, but simply telling everyone "fix your diet" will not work. Again we argue genetics, allergies, independent variables such as exercise, and activity level, age,gender, cost of "better" food. It doesn't all work as well clinically on a large scale as antibiotics or other drugs do. 

Even then, how would you feel if the $100 doctor visit resulted in a prescription that read "exercise and eat right" I'm sure you would flip $%^&

People come to doctors to "get something." A long tradition that still continues. 

The thing with healthcare or hospitals or doctors or even me as a nurse: without sick people there is no business therefore no job. It is not true that if they didn't prescribe they would have no job. Its the pharmacies that need them too otherwise they make no money. 

It is all influenced by hormones and reminds me of when babies are born with acne. Its because of the hormones from the mother. While i have heard of babies on formula also getting acne. So diet + effective of nutrition too. 

Edited by k3tchup, 28 July 2014 - 03:11 AM.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

#40 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

This could go on for years man.

I am enjoying reading everyone's input on the subject. In my opinion diet CAN affect acne simply because certain foods affect our hormones which MAY result in acne. I read a statement about how an increased level of insulin actually increases the amount of Androgens in our body (male hormones). Androgens in themselves can aggravate acne, specifically if someone if already sensitive to it.

Diet can affect acne. But if one gets acne as soon as they hit puperty (like Myself and many others) then perhaps acne for those individuals are predominantly caused by hormonal factors...I had a shit diet at that age but as SOON as I hit puberty ny acne arose. I also know that if I eat crap now..like a lot, I will break out.

But I think some people can go mad with food elimination diets in the hope of finding the 'cure'. I agree that there are alot of random food 'cures' on this forum which some hopless people read and believe to find only that it DOES NOT work for them and they get stressed out and upset...stress itself is a known factor to contribute to acne.

Why can't we just agree to disagree and do what works for us believing that acne is highly individual - which it is. Like what has been said, MANY factors are associated with acne.

Edited by MissSac17, 28 July 2014 - 06:29 AM.

DIET
ACCUMAX - 2000iu Vitamin A: 19·6mg Vitamin E: 40mg Vitamin C: 80mg DIM
Solgar - Vitamin A - 5000iu. 
Limited dairy/gluten - everything in moderation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users