acne acne scars missing skin dryness

29 replies to this topic

#1 Augustina073

Augustina073

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

Hi, im 14 going on 15. On the last week of march, i flaked off a blackhead which turned into a zit on my cheek. I washed with antibacterial soap 7x and held ice on it til it popped. Then put a face mask on overnight. Woke up and it was a hole! It cracked the next week. But vaseline helped. It looks as if skin is missing and theres more holes that look like scarred pores. Its been six months now-now gonna be august and i have boxcar scarring too and a diemand shaped thing connected with the holes. I think i have permanently damaged skin tissue. It appears worse with makeup and cakey. Retin a is worse for my skin and im on minocycline which dont do much. I know this is long.. but is there still a chance the holes will fill in along with new skin to grow from the missing skin connected with the holes? If so.. how long?

Edited by Augustina073, 28 July 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#2 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

I've moved this post to the scars forum where I'm sure you will receive some helpful replies. 

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that smile.png

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

#3 Francopld

Francopld

Cool Argentinian Dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Film maker, Video Edition

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

it depends on the severity and type of the scars. If it is a big indentation/too deep,it's likely that it will stay like that forever if u don't treat it (laser,derma rolling,etc).

Small Ice picks scars (like the ones you get from blackheads and little zits that gives that open pore look) for me,they do get better with time and almost disappear. Anyways they are almost unnoticeable. Bigger Ice pick scars also fill a little bit,but do not expect a big difference.

In the other way,boxcar and hypertrophic scars tend to not go away or get better at all without treatment. 

Edited by mahninja, 28 July 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#4 psychokitty

psychokitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

This is what happened to me when I was that age. I'm 32 and still have them. I would advise that you never flake stuff off your nose or try to speed up the process of stuff going away or you'll most likely get more scars. I made this mistake several times. If you get a zit on your nose don't peel it off, even if it seems like it is just about to flake off on it's own. I actually had a couple scars on my cheeks that went away on their own because I never messed with them because they didn't bother me. But that took years. The ones on my nose I couldn't cover with foundation but would use matte powder. I use primers now. I would look into something like vitamin c serums for collagen production and maybe alpha hydroxy for cell renewal. I used kiss my face's peaches n cream lotion but lots of stuff has AHA in it.

#5 missamua

missamua

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

Atrophic scarring is permanent. Weight gain (not usually the best option lol), laser treatments and any kind of collagen induction therapy can help to reduce the appearance of scarring by tightening the skin, but the scar(s) will always be there. 

#6 ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

licensed esthetician 2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I cleared my worst breakout in a 20 yr acne battle with Rx Chinese herbs.

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Your skin cell turnover rate is still very high at your age so your chances of recovering are good, but you mention that you already have boxcar scarring, so I'm going to go out on a limb and give some hygiene tips.

Please don't abuse your poor young skin by popping and abusing with antibacterial soap and vaseline.  AB soap is very alkaline and you need to preserve your skin's acid mantle in order for healing to do its thing.  Vaseline is made up of mineral oil, and mineral oil clogs pores and attracts dirt and bacteria. 

If you don't mind my advice, please ask your dr about short term antibiotics and an esthetician about addressing your current scars now.  Only wash your (I assume very oily?) face with something like Proactiv, Acne Free (Walgreen's) or the Regimen advertised here.  Your friends are salicylic, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur and clean moisture (pure hyaluronic acid- have your mom order you some online. Acne skin needs moisture as much as dry skin does.)  And make sure you drink 8-10 glasses of water per day- prevention is your best friend when it comes to scars. 

Edited by is0late, 28 July 2014 - 01:15 PM.

• Clear Skin and Anxiety Maintenance Routine:
  • Supplements: Shi wei Bei Du Tang (powder by Sun Ten) and the Zhen Zhu An Chuang Pan (tablets by Guang Ci Tang)  both for acne+ other Chinese mood stabilizers. 
  •  20,000IU+ of Vitamin D/day (+ antioxidants and multi with minerals)
  • Diet: Ultra Meal and Orac Energy Greens shakes- no meat, coffee,  dairy, gluten or alcohol
  • Topical: crysanthemum and MSM baths and cleansing with Proactiv Deep and Kavi Coral on Konjac sponge to exfoliate, and Jason Aloe and Tea Tree and Hyaluronic Acid to heal and hydrate. 
  • Lifestyle: 8 hrs sleep, light exercise only, >1hr sun exposure daily, no fluoride toothpastes, no sulfate shampoos, clean shower/pillowcase.

#7 Augustina073

Augustina073

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks. And the holes are more little. But its been 6 months. It looks like skin is missing. Im just scared. I dont want permanent scars. Do you know how long itll take if they do fill in?

#8 Francopld

Francopld

Cool Argentinian Dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Film maker, Video Edition

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

Thanks. And the holes are more little. But its been 6 months. It looks like skin is missing. Im just scared. I dont want permanent scars. Do you know how long itll take if they do fill in?

It can take several years. Sorry for the bad news sad.png. Scars sucks massive balls but don't be that worried about em' !! 

Edited by mahninja, 28 July 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#9 Augustina073

Augustina073

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

So your sure theyll fill in?

#10 ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

licensed esthetician 2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I cleared my worst breakout in a 20 yr acne battle with Rx Chinese herbs.

Achievements

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

Your skin now is not what you'll have in years if you take good care of it, but the healing really depends on the maintenance of your overall all skin.  Prevention is key.

I still have shallow scars from what I thought was gently attacking spots 10 years ago, do don't do it.  It's a terrible habit. 

Edited by is0late, 29 July 2014 - 11:22 AM.

• Clear Skin and Anxiety Maintenance Routine:
  • Supplements: Shi wei Bei Du Tang (powder by Sun Ten) and the Zhen Zhu An Chuang Pan (tablets by Guang Ci Tang)  both for acne+ other Chinese mood stabilizers. 
  •  20,000IU+ of Vitamin D/day (+ antioxidants and multi with minerals)
  • Diet: Ultra Meal and Orac Energy Greens shakes- no meat, coffee,  dairy, gluten or alcohol
  • Topical: crysanthemum and MSM baths and cleansing with Proactiv Deep and Kavi Coral on Konjac sponge to exfoliate, and Jason Aloe and Tea Tree and Hyaluronic Acid to heal and hydrate. 
  • Lifestyle: 8 hrs sleep, light exercise only, >1hr sun exposure daily, no fluoride toothpastes, no sulfate shampoos, clean shower/pillowcase.

#11 Augustina073

Augustina073

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Well thanks guys. It does look alittle filled in since today but im still unsure.. and the boxcar scars are still there.

#12 missamua

missamua

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Scars don't "fill in", hence why they are called scars. They will NOT heal on their own and it's unfortunate the amount of misinformation there is online about them...also, scars are very rarely actually caused by picking and popping. That can contribute to the severity, but the main reason people scar is because of increased and prolonged inflammation from pimples, usually cystic pimples. Some days your scars may lessen in appearance due to puffiness that can vary from day to day..for example, if I eat a lot of salt, my face gets puffier from water retention and my scars are much less noticeable. Definitely keep your skin moisturized while your scars mature.

Edited by missamua, 29 July 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#13 pumpkin21

pumpkin21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Have you tried Tca Cross?? I have had several treatments and have noticed a difference with some ice picks!!

#14 u1971

u1971

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Some days your scars may lessen in appearance due to puffiness that can vary from day to day..for example, if I eat a lot of salt, my face gets puffier from water retention and my scars are much less noticeable. Definitely keep your skin moisturized while your scars mature.

After 12 years visiting these message boards I finally found out a possible reason for all that difference I see on my scars. Some days they look horrible while others they look just ugly. I thought it was related to the weather. Thanks for the information!

#15 blahblah82

blahblah82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

Jesus, thank you.   I can't believe this much pseudo science and wives tales are still this prevalent with the amount of information available with the click of a button.   

Scars don't "fill in", hence why they are called scars. They will NOT heal on their own and it's unfortunate the amount of misinformation there is online about them...also, scars are very rarely actually caused by picking and popping. That can contribute to the severity, but the main reason people scar is because of increased and prolonged inflammation from pimples, usually cystic pimples. Some days your scars may lessen in appearance due to puffiness that can vary from day to day..for example, if I eat a lot of salt, my face gets puffier from water retention and my scars are much less noticeable. Definitely keep your skin moisturized while your scars mature.

#16 missamua

missamua

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

No problem! I think caffeine may also have a similar effect, at least from what I have noticed. Is it bad that I treat myself to coffee everyday for that added effect (and I just love coffee) ? Haha. 

Some days your scars may lessen in appearance due to puffiness that can vary from day to day..for example, if I eat a lot of salt, my face gets puffier from water retention and my scars are much less noticeable. Definitely keep your skin moisturized while your scars mature.

After 12 years visiting these message boards I finally found out a possible reason for all that difference I see on my scars. Some days they look horrible while others they look just ugly. I thought it was related to the weather. Thanks for the information!

#17 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Everyone is saying scars don't fill in, but I've had some holes on my face that have definitely filled in. I had a few scars that just vanished over time.

#18 missamua

missamua

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

If there is redness in the scar and it fades over time, it will definitely make the scar less noticeable. Gaining weight can also make them look reduced or almost gone by stretching the skin (a lot of women report more apparent wrinkles after losing a lot of weight as there is no extra fat to "stretch" the the skin) but scars don't fill in even from lasers or other treatments. All of these treatments only tighten the skin so that the scars flatten out, which is why several years after treatments people report that they are visible again to varying degrees. The aging process continues and the skin isn't as tight anymore thus making the scars "reappear". 

#19 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

If there is redness in the scar and it fades over time, it will definitely make the scar less noticeable. Gaining weight can also make them look reduced or almost gone by stretching the skin (a lot of women report more apparent wrinkles after losing a lot of weight as there is no extra fat to "stretch" the the skin) but scars don't fill in even from lasers or other treatments. All of these treatments only tighten the skin so that the scars flatten out, which is why several years after treatments people report that they are visible again to varying degrees. The aging process continues and the skin isn't as tight anymore thus making the scars "reappear". 

I'm serious, some of my scars have disappeared over time. They were not red. I have also remained about 120 lbs for the past few years. They're gone.

#20 missamua

missamua

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

That is not physiologically possible. A scar is an injury to the dermis, kind of like a wrinkle. It's both the result of loss of collagen and dense scar tissue. They don't "fill" in unless you get injections under the scar or subcision to release the scar tissue. I'm not trying to be rude and wouldn't normally argue, but for the sake of readers who get their hopes up from this common misconception, I think it's important to try and explain this. I was told my scars would go away from friends and family, years later- still here. Some topicals like hyaluronic acid and glycerin (to name a few) can help to plump up the skin making some scars disappear. I use Ceraves moisturizing lotion which does make a difference in my scarring. It's possible a product you are using is making your scars less visible. 

I'm serious, some of my scars have disappeared over time. They were not red. I have also remained about 120 lbs for the past few years. They're gone.

Edited by missamua, 01 August 2014 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users