Photo

New diet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 welsh_jellybaby

welsh_jellybaby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:23 PM

About two months ago I radically changed my diet. I did it because of my severe acne and also for my health because I was recently diagnosed with a type of kidney disease. About 3 weeks after I changed my diet I had the most severe acne outbreak I've ever had and now 6 weeks later on the new diet my acne is still the most severe it's ever been! It's terrible! I was just wondering if anyone has had this or knows what could be causing it? Any help is greatly appreciated biggrin.gif

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:47 PM

Have you been to a derm?

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:05 PM

well....some people do experience detox breakouts when the change their diet. Others, like myself, have noticed that once we change our diets, if we eat something that causes us problems (whether it was something we eliminated or something new), the acne will be much more stubborn than it ever was before. I pretty much take it as a sign to just stay away from that food.

So how did you radically change your diet?

What did you stop eating?

What did you start eating?

What did you start eating more frequently 3 - 6 weeks ago?
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#4 welsh_jellybaby

welsh_jellybaby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reply SweetJade. I've eliminated dairy, wheat, red meat, gluten and cut down on chocolate/sugar. I now eat lots of veg, fruit, chicken, fish, nuts and gluten free grains like amaranth, millet and rice/buckwheat pasta etc. Now and again I've had a bit of dairy or wheat if I have some chocolate or go out for a pizza with friends but I'm not sure if it's related to my outbreaks. The only "new" foods I've introduced to my diet that I never really had before are the gluten free grains like millet. My acne is pretty much errupting all the time so it's hard for me to pin point whether something is affecting it or not. I was wondering how long does it take for acne to show up if something triggers it? Thankyou for the help biggrin.gif

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:41 PM

Hmm, from what I've noticed and heard it takes 2 - 7 days, but most avg 2 -3 days. You say you are eating nuts, are you eating them more frequently than you used to? What types of nuts are you eating? Also, what about High fructose Corn Syrup & corn syrup, are you avoiding these? Are you avoiding Trans fats?

I ask because I started breaking out badly after I had been clear in certain areas and I tracked it down to my increased nut consumption. Yet I was still breaking out a bit, and so I did more research and discovered that plums/prunes, peaches & nectarines were all apart of the Almond Family. As soon as I dropped all nuts & associated fruits....the new & stubborn cystic acne stopped. Same goes for corn syrup.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#6 welsh_jellybaby

welsh_jellybaby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:50 PM

I don't eat any corn syrup but I do eat a lot more nuts than I used to. I'm constantly snacking on nuts in order to get some good fats because I don't want to lose any weight on this new diet because I'm already too skinny! I eat almonds, hazel nuts, brazil nuts and some walnuts. Hmm maybe I'll try cutting out nuts for a while to see what happens. How long should you eliminate something to see whether it has any effect? Do you have any tips on what types of food to eat in order to put on weight? Thanks a lot for the help!

#7 Philey-O-Fish

Philey-O-Fish

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:31 PM

Hey soon you won't be able to eat anything at all! eusa_clap.gif .

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Philey-O-Fish @ Nov 1 2004, 06:31 PM)
Hey soon you won't be able to eat anything at all! eusa_clap.gif .

View Post

I'm sorry, but how can you say you are interested in learning more about the "Evil" Lectin Free Diet and then you turn around and say something like that?

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(welsh_jellybaby @ Oct 31 2004, 02:50 PM)
I don't eat any corn syrup but I do eat a lot more nuts than I used to. I'm constantly snacking on nuts in order to get some good fats because I don't want to lose any weight on this new diet because I'm already too skinny! I eat almonds, hazel nuts, brazil nuts and some walnuts. Hmm maybe I'll try cutting out nuts for a while to see what happens. How long should you eliminate something to see whether it has any effect? Do you have any tips on what types of food to eat in order to put on weight? Thanks a lot for the help!

View Post

LOL, I understand about the weight, but I gave up on that (we'll be grateful when we're older). I've tried for sooooo many years to gain weight myself, but honestly, I didn't lose any weight when I switched my diet. If you are losing weight they say it's because you aren't eating enough or enough calories. If you enjoy avocado, try eating some of that as it's got the fat & the calories (it's actually thought of as a meat in some places).

Try eating seeds, such as sunflower, pumpkin, etc, but for now drop the nuts. I think it makes a lot of sense that if your acne is WORSE now and you are frequently eating something now (that's considered an allergen) that you weren't eating very often, that there may be a connection. So drop all nuts for a few weeks (3 - 4) and if it's the nuts, you'll notice that the cysts will start to go away and new ones will stop coming.

If that does happen then try adding in one nut at a time. Eat each nut as frequently as you were, daily, for 4 weeks to thoroughly test it out. If there's no problems, keep it in your diet, and add in a new nut each month. You may want to start with Brazil nuts as they've got selenium (helps exfoilate skin), and officially aren't actually nuts but are considered seeds!

Oh and other food suggestions would be, to wait at least a month, while you test the nut theory, before adding in or increasing your current food intake, particularly of grains. If you can't wait that long, then add in red meat, and eat more GF grains, and....do you eat potatoes? Also, why are you avoiding red meat?

Take care eusa_angel.gif

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#10 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(welsh_jellybaby @ Oct 31 2004, 12:35 PM)
Thanks for the reply SweetJade. I've eliminated dairy, wheat, red meat, gluten and cut down on chocolate/sugar. I now eat lots of veg, fruit, chicken, fish, nuts and gluten free grains like amaranth, millet and rice/buckwheat pasta etc. Now and again I've had a bit of dairy or wheat if I have some chocolate or go out for a pizza with friends but I'm not sure if it's related to my outbreaks. The only "new" foods I've introduced to my diet that I never really had before are the gluten free grains like millet. My acne is pretty much errupting all the time so it's hard for me to pin point whether something is affecting it or not. I was wondering how long does it take for acne to show up if something triggers it? Thankyou for the help  biggrin.gif

View Post

Hmm, for me I see an increase in my acne every time I eat brown rice pastas. I think it might be because of their very high Glycemic Index.

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:50 AM

Steve,
It's always possible. Some people aren't meant to have any grains =( Yet do you eat the pasta alone or do you add some sort of sauce with it?

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#12 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Nov 2 2004, 10:50 AM)
Steve,
    It's always possible.  Some people aren't meant to have any grains  =(  Yet do you eat the pasta alone or do you add some sort  of sauce with it?

View Post

I usually eat it with a tomato sauce(which could also be a cause since I've read nightshades are known to cause acne too), or a mustard sauce which might be too spicy. There are just a lot of factors to keep track off :/.