Photo

If My Diet Is So Great, Why Isn't My Skin Great?

63 replies to this topic

#61 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Well, if you're suffering from panic attacks that would cause an awful lot of stress which is one of the prime contributors to acne aside from diet.  I believe this is where your problem lies, and prescription meds will not fix that problem, it will only control the symptoms and make your problem worse in the long run imo.  Your panic attacks are coming from a deep seeded problem, perhaps from your childhood, that you may not remember.  For certain the counselling will help in this regard, since I don't know the specifics of your attacks I can't really advise you, other than to say that acceptance that this is a part of you at this point in time will help some ways with the stress aspect. Your prime focus should be on finding good help for your attacks rather than worrying about the acne too much, I believe that homoeopathy can help in this regard, emotional disorders are perfectly treatable if you find yourself a good classical homoeopath.

Secondly, about your diet.  You say you are consuming fruits and veg, are you eating organic foods? Do you often eat processed foods? What percentage of sugar and carbohydrates are in your diet in comparison to the fruits and veg you eat?

My panic attacks have actually been much less frequent lately. My skin is no worse, though, since I started having panic attacks. It's the same as it has been since the effects of accutane wore off. 

I do eat some organic foods, but not everything I eat is organic because I am a poor grad student and cannot afford that. I do not eat processed foods. I don't eat sugar. Literally all I eat is fruit, veggies, lean meats, and whole grains like oatmeal.

#62 Andrew Jenkins

Andrew Jenkins

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Holistic Healing, I don't believe in temporary relief of symptoms, I help people understand the role nutrition and exercise has to play in curing their conditions.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

So you started having panic attacks recently? Do you happen to know the reason for them? If your panic attacks are the result of an issue from your childhood, it wouldn't matter that your acne started before or after the onset.  Panic attacks usually come on after stress has build up to boiling point; so most likely the stress was always with you.

Lastly, you answered that you don't eat sugar, but what about processed foods?

Edited by Andrew Jenkins, 22 August 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#63 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

So you started having panic attacks recently? Do you happen to know the reason for them? If your panic attacks are the result of an issue from your childhood, it wouldn't matter that your acne started before or after the onset.  Panic attacks usually come on after stress has build up to boiling point; so most likely the stress was always with you.

Lastly, you answered that you don't eat sugar, but what about processed foods?

I started having panic attacks about 4 years ago, but if my medication is correct I don't get them. Every panic attack I have ever had has been about my skin. When my skin is bad it triggers anxiety in me and sometimes causes me to have panic attacks. Like I said, though, if my medicine is working I usually won't have them. 

I don't eat processed foods. A typical day for me is literally oatmeal, fruits, veggies, lean meat, and sometimes something like brown rice.

#64 Andrew Jenkins

Andrew Jenkins

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Holistic Healing, I don't believe in temporary relief of symptoms, I help people understand the role nutrition and exercise has to play in curing their conditions.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Although possible, it's unlikely that your panic attacks are caused by your mental aversion to acne.. though it could be contributing to it, your skin obsession could also be a metaphor for a different issue.  It's impossible to diagnose online, and it's great that you are receiving counselling, I wish you luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users