Photo

If My Diet Is So Great, Why Isn't My Skin Great?

63 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Cut out the cashews, i had nuts before and it was one of the stuff that caused me acne.

She should try avoiding them, but cashews like almonds and peanuts are not nuts and are completely unrelated things. Peanuts are a legume, almonds are the seed of a stone fruit and I'd have to look up the proper term for what a cashew is. It's an odd thing that forms on the outside of a tropical fruit. Anyway, Intolerance to one doesn't mean intolerance to the others. You should test individually.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#42 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Meats (well sourced) are safer than plant foods if you have an immunological condition (which acne is). Fish and chicken should be not only fine to eat, but also have plenty of positive effects, especially when eaten with good fats and vegetables.

That said, not everyone can fix acne with diet alone. Acne is the outcome of a dysregulated immune system. Immune responses are happening when they shouldn't. If they are happening in response to microbes on your skin, then changing your diet will not fix your acne (although it could certainly reduce inflammation and perhaps change the morphology of your acne).

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

My diet has been great for a long time now. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I avoid wheat, sugar, and animal products. I don't eat vegetable oils or any oils for that matter. I eat good fats (cashews and avocado) and some gluten free whole grains like oatmeal. My skin is still sooo clogged up and lately it has been very oily. It was like this before I eliminated meat too. I exercise, get enough sleep, my vitamin D is not low. My stress levels could be lower, but I have an anxiety disorder so it's never going to be perfect. Why is what I'm doing not good enough to have clear skin?

I recently added a couple of things to my habits and my skin has become amazingly soft & smooth.  My KP has disappeared,  the few blackheads I tend to have in the center of my chest have disappeared & whatever happens on my back whether it's KP or blackheads or whatever it is I can't see but keeps my back from being completely smooth. Disappeared. 

I have added water kefir, chasteberry vitex. And i took DIM for the last several days prior to my last period. Because the month before had been very inconveniently irregular. Which is also why I bought the Vitex.  But I've taken vitex and DIM before.  In fact, I took the DIM because I had it on hand and it wasn't getting any younger.

One thing I'm wondering about is the GABA in water kefir.  GABA is a neurotransmitter and one thing it does is increase both calm & focus.  So it both helps you work and helps you relax & sleep.   But that isn't all it does. It's in a lot of skin care topicals.   So, I'm looking into what it does for skin, specifically.

GABA is produced by your body &  is in some foods. But mostly it's produced by bacteria and so is in live fermented foods.  Which i've always consumed regularly.  But I'm making the water kefir and trying to drink it as fast as I make it as I don't have room to fill up my fridge with jars of the stuff.  You ferment it at room temp for 24 hours, then flavor if you want and bottle and ferment another 24 or so in the fridge where it will become 'carbonated.'  So I'm making and drinking a quart a day.

Oolong tea is another good source. 

I thought this might be of interest to you for your blackheads & stress,

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#44 ask24

ask24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Same thing happened to me last year. I just cut out bad things for a year. Then I crept back into my old habits. 

What I found out is that I wasn't breaking down the food properly in body and it wasn't absorbing very well.

You have to get a good B complex (high end type, not cheap drug store brands). You might need to add HCl/betaine in your diet for a bit, you can stop if you're stomach feels acidic enough. Try to pair salads with proteins and carbs such as rice. Try to cook your vegetables WITH SPICES, better for digestion too. 

It didnt make any sense to me either so don't fret, but thats what I learned. 

#45 DearCasey01

DearCasey01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Psychology, Photography, Music, People-science, meeting new people.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

If acne is genetic, does that mean there's no cure? 

#46 Anastasia899

Anastasia899

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

If acne is genetic, does that mean there's no cure? 

There is no cure for acne period. All acne is genetic as everyone with acne has acne genes. 

Some me people grow out of acne for reasons unknown while others remain prone to the condition for the rest of their lives. 

Meats (well sourced) are safer than plant foods if you have an immunological condition (which acne is). Fish and chicken should be not only fine to eat, but also have plenty of positive effects, especially when eaten with good fats and vegetables.

That said, not everyone can fix acne with diet alone. Acne is the outcome of a dysregulated immune system. Immune responses are happening when they shouldn't. If they are happening in response to microbes on your skin, then changing your diet will not fix your acne (although it could certainly reduce inflammation and perhaps change the morphology of your acne).

That's your theory. However there isn't much proof to suggest acne is any type of immune system issue (autoimmune or a inappropriately strong  response). 

Acne is mostly the result of faulty pores and other faulty genetics at work with factors in our environment that we may never be able to control. 

Acne is just a skin condition like eczema. It's really not that big of deal (where your health is concerned). 

Edited by Anastasia899, 10 August 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#47 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone for all the comments. My acne was causing me a lot of anxiety for the past few weeks so I haven't been super active. I've been getting some help for that, though, and so I'm feeling better. 

I've added meat back into my diet and also because I was feeling so anxious I have been eating a lot of "junk" lately because it seems to go down easy when you have an upset stomach from anxiety. I've still been eating my green smoothies, oatmeal, fruits, and veggies, but I've been more relaxed about bread, and I've let myself go out to restaurants and have some sweets. I don't plan to keep eating junk as much as I have been because I know it's not great for me long term, but what's interesting is that even though I haven't been eating that great, my skin is actually looking better. Maybe diet doesn't play as big a role in my acne as I thought. I think a healthy diet is great, and I plan to keep my "acne diet," but I no longer think that perfecting my diet is going to get rid of the last of my acne. I'm going to be trying belara (an anti-androgen birth control pill) soon, and if that doesn't work I might go back to accutane. 

I should also add that I think what I put on my face contributes to my acne way more than what I eat. Recently, I tried traditional makeup instead of my usual mineral makeup, and I got a ton of inflamed under the skin bumps which I never get. I also notice a similar phenomenon with cleansers, moisturizers, and sunscreen. Right now the only cleanser which my skin seems to be ok with is Neutrogena Anti-Blemish Anti-wrinkle cleanser. I can't use moisturizers or sunscreen at all, and anything with mineral oil in it is an absolute disaster.

#48 Anastasia899

Anastasia899

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone for all the comments. My acne was causing me a lot of anxiety for the past few weeks so I haven't been super active. I've been getting some help for that, though, and so I'm feeling better. 

I've added meat back into my diet and also because I was feeling so anxious I have been eating a lot of "junk" lately because it seems to go down easy when you have an upset stomach from anxiety. I've still been eating my green smoothies, oatmeal, fruits, and veggies, but I've been more relaxed about bread, and I've let myself go out to restaurants and have some sweets. I don't plan to keep eating junk as much as I have been because I know it's not great for me long term, but what's interesting is that even though I haven't been eating that great, my skin is actually looking better. Maybe diet doesn't play as big a role in my acne as I thought. I think a healthy diet is great, and I plan to keep my "acne diet," but I no longer think that perfecting my diet is going to get rid of the last of my acne. I'm going to be trying belara (an anti-androgen birth control pill) soon, and if that doesn't work I might go back to accutane. 

I should also add that I think what I put on my face contributes to my acne way more than what I eat. Recently, I tried traditional makeup instead of my usual mineral makeup, and I got a ton of inflamed under the skin bumps which I never get. I also notice a similar phenomenon with cleansers, moisturizers, and sunscreen. Right now the only cleanser which my skin seems to be ok with is Neutrogena Anti-Blemish Anti-wrinkle cleanser. I can't use moisturizers or sunscreen at all, and anything with mineral oil in it is an absolute disaster.

To be entirely honest using too many acne products (face washes) and makeup is rather bad for your skin. And I'm not talking acne, I'm referring to the condition and appearance of your skin. You should cease product use entirely on your face or keep in minimal in general use a gentle face wash and topical (only if it's required) and that's it. 

Neutragena is a rather mediocre brand and their sunscreen burned the hell out of my face like nothing I've ever used before and I don't even have sensitive skin.

#49 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

To be entirely honest using too many acne products (face washes) and makeup is rather bad for your skin. And I'm not talking acne, I'm referring to the condition and appearance of your skin. You should cease product use entirely on your face or keep in minimal in general use a gentle face wash and topical (only if it's required) and that's it. 

Neutragena is a rather mediocre brand and their sunscreen burned the hell out of my face like nothing I've ever used before and I don't even have sensitive skin.

Oh, I do keep things minimal and have for a while. I only use mineral makeup and a cleanser. I've tried so many cleansers and they were all making my face worse except for the neutrogena anti-blemish ant-wrinkle, so I'm just going to stick with it. Other things I've tried to cleanse with in the past: oils (mineral, watermelon seed, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, passionfruit seed, hemp), soapnuts, soapwort root, yucca root, stevia powder, purpose, cetaphil, cerave, sanitas, sage facial shampoo, jan marini bioglycolic cleanser, mario badescu, DDF, simple, basis, etc. Honestly, I've tried too many cleansers to even remember them all. The neutrogena does not seem to irritate my skin. It's SLS, SLES, ALS, ALES, and glycerin free.

#50 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Not being so anxious about your diet probably improved your skin a great deal. You should be able to go out and cheat once in a while. Just mostly eat very well. 

#51 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Not being so anxious about your diet probably improved your skin a great deal. You should be able to go out and cheat once in a while. Just mostly eat very well. 

I actually was very anxious while I was "cheating." I was having daily panic attacks until about a week ago. My skin still isn't that great. It's oily and super clogged, but not much different than when I was eating super well.

#52 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

I actually was very anxious while I was "cheating." I was having daily panic attacks until about a week ago. My skin still isn't that great. It's oily and super clogged, but not much different than when I was eating super well.

Daily panic attacks?   If this is so, this is where you should be focusing your efforts.

#53 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Daily panic attacks?   If this is so, this is where you should be focusing your efforts.

Yes, I was. They've been more controlled for the last week, though, because of counseling and medication. I'm feeling much better right now.

#54 Anastasia899

Anastasia899

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Yes, I was. They've been more controlled for the last week, though, because of counseling and medication. I'm feeling much better right now.

It sounds like you could have panic disorder. Be warned, PD is worsened or even induced by obsessive thoughts and behaviour so if you're overly obsessive or worried about your diet affecting your acne it's really going to aggravate the panic disorder. I know from experience. 

#55 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

It sounds like you could have panic disorder. Be warned, PD is worsened or even induced by obsessive thoughts and behaviour so if you're overly obsessive or worried about your diet affecting your acne it's really going to aggravate the panic disorder. I know from experience. 

I actually was just diagnosed with a panic disorder. I also have generalized anxiety and OCD. I don't feel like I really obsess or worry about what I eat. What I do worry about it how my skin looks. I worry and panic that it looks really bad and scarred. A lot of negative self talk happens and sometimes it sets me into a panic. Like I said, though, it has been better lately. Thank you, though, for the comment :)

#56 LeksiBabi

LeksiBabi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My kids (2 Boys ages 2 + 7 yrs & one on the way), Art, Drawing, Tattoos, Interior Design, Blogging, Making Websites, Reading (Mostly beauty, self-help, fitness, parenting and health books), Swimming, the Outdoors, Nature, Walking, Taking kids to the park or splash pad, The Beach, Camping, Shopping, Movies, Hanging with Family + Close Friends

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

If you eat that healthy, your diet probably doesn't affect your acne at all. it is probably hormonal. I cured my hormonal acne. message me if you want to know more.

#57 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

If you have pre-diabetes or insulin resistance or some other underlying blood sugar regulation problem, that can wreak havoc on the other parts of your endocrine system, which in turn can affect your skin. Same goes for thyroid problems (one of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism is acne) or liver problems. 

Diet regulation is a great way to exercise SOME control over your skin. If you are an adult and still experiencing severe acne, you may have a more serious problem that diet alone won't fix. 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#58 AcneWonderland

AcneWonderland

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:skin, face, looks

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

If you have pre-diabetes or insulin resistance or some other underlying blood sugar regulation problem, that can wreak havoc on the other parts of your endocrine system, which in turn can affect your skin. Same goes for thyroid problems (one of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism is acne) or liver problems. 

Diet regulation is a great way to exercise SOME control over your skin. If you are an adult and still experiencing severe acne, you may have a more serious problem that diet alone won't fix. 

oh gods..does anyone else reads something like this and feels like 100 yrs old immediately bcs u feel like thats probably ur case n now its just all u will think abt n what else is wrong with u? but rly my grandma is healthier than all of this =____= 

~my face will be the death of me~

acne: resistance is futile!

#59 oneflyride

oneflyride

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

It's your anxiety. It messes up your hormones , your gut and your endocrine function. Trust me, i used to be paranoid and obsessive like you and it never worked. Forget about topical treatments altogether, they won't do anything .  Eating healthy is the first right step. Do not cut animal products out of your diet, the animal fats are actually very good for the nervous system (small fish, egg yolks, etc.) . Start meditating , eat healthy (definitely not high fat, you don't want excess estrogen) , plenty of protein, lots of vegetables, limit or avoid fruit, maybe do some colonics and/or coffee enemas and your liver will slowly recover, which will show on your skin and the the way you feel. I used to be like you and my skin is glowing now, also feeling much better physically and mentally. Which just goes to show how everything in our body is interconnected biggrin.png

Edited by oneflyride, 14 August 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#60 Andrew Jenkins

Andrew Jenkins

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Holistic Healing, I don't believe in temporary relief of symptoms, I help people understand the role nutrition and exercise has to play in curing their conditions.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

Well, if you're suffering from panic attacks that would cause an awful lot of stress which is one of the prime contributors to acne aside from diet.  I believe this is where your problem lies, and prescription meds will not fix that problem, it will only control the symptoms and make your problem worse in the long run imo.  Your panic attacks are coming from a deep seeded problem, perhaps from your childhood, that you may not remember.  For certain the counselling will help in this regard, since I don't know the specifics of your attacks I can't really advise you, other than to say that acceptance that this is a part of you at this point in time will help some ways with the stress aspect. Your prime focus should be on finding good help for your attacks rather than worrying about the acne too much, I believe that homoeopathy can help in this regard, emotional disorders are perfectly treatable if you find yourself a good classical homoeopath.

Secondly, about your diet.  You say you are consuming fruits and veg, are you eating organic foods? Do you often eat processed foods? What percentage of sugar and carbohydrates are in your diet in comparison to the fruits and veg you eat?

From my time suffering with acne, and learning from some amazing individuals in the alternative medicine scene, I witnessed that presciption medications and topicals will only treat the symptoms of an acne condition, the cause is due to high body toxicity, something that you can address right now by adopting a proper diet along with excercise.

Diet & holistic health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users