Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If My Diet Is So Great, Why Isn't My Skin Great?

64 posts in this topic

My diet has been great for a long time now. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I avoid wheat, sugar, and animal products. I don't eat vegetable oils or any oils for that matter. I eat good fats (cashews and avocado) and some gluten free whole grains like oatmeal. My skin is still sooo clogged up and lately it has been very oily. It was like this before I eliminated meat too. I exercise, get enough sleep, my vitamin D is not low. My stress levels could be lower, but I have an anxiety disorder so it's never going to be perfect. Why is what I'm doing not good enough to have clear skin?

1 person likes this

yeah i have no idea , maybe its just fate

It's not always about diet, even obese people sometimes have flawless skin and they eat complete s**t.

Sometimes it can be genetic.

1 person likes this

yea WTF right?

soo hate this...

do u use anything topically?

yea WTF right?

soo hate this...

do u use anything topically?

If we could answer this question we would be millionaires. If your skin doesn't function the way it is supposed to, the best diet in the world may help but won't make things perfect. Thank God that inflammatory acne is not your main issue. You probably need to use something topical to work on clogged pores if your skin is genetically like that. You really have to weigh the pros and the cons of retinoids - if it keeps clogs away, isn't it worth the trade off of bigger pores, a little oil and no acne?

If we could answer this question we would be millionaires. If your skin doesn't function the way it is supposed to, the best diet in the world may help but won't make things perfect. Thank God that inflammatory acne is not your main issue. You probably need to use something topical to work on clogged pores if your skin is genetically like that. You really have to weigh the pros and the cons of retinoids - if it keeps clogs away, isn't it worth the trade off of bigger pores, a little oil and no acne?

Acne is multifaceted. Your main cause may not be diet...it could be hormonal, allergic (e.g. cosmetics, environmental triggers), gut-related... so many factors to take into consideration, although they are all interrelated in the end.

Acne is multifaceted. Your main cause may not be diet...it could be hormonal, allergic (e.g. cosmetics, environmental triggers), gut-related... so many factors to take into consideration, although they are all interrelated in the end.

Doctors want us to believe that only drug$ are the answer to hormonal acne, but they are not trust me. I manage my hormonal acne with inositol and DIM, as well as some vitamins and a low histamine diet (most of the time, now I'm at the point where I'm reintroducing more foods). It's not easy or a magic solution, but if I can spare my body of any side effects from medications, then I'm happy.

Doctors want us to believe that only drug$ are the answer to hormonal acne, but they are not trust me. I manage my hormonal acne with inositol and DIM, as well as some vitamins and a low histamine diet (most of the time, now I'm at the point where I'm reintroducing more foods). It's not easy or a magic solution, but if I can spare my body of any side effects from medications, then I'm happy.

My diet has absolutely never affected my acne. I wish it did, because at least then I could do something about it (topicals have it under control for now). I honestly can't stand this theory because it definitely fuels stigma that people with severe cases of acne already get. If I had a dime for every time someone told me "Oh you must be eating gluten" I would seriously be rich. Acne is a disease and rarely a symptom, I wish people would treat it as an actual condition and not a reflection of a "poor lifestyle". That's just my two cents. I know of a few select people that claimed diet affects their acne, but then they never had bad acne to begin with...a blemish here and there, and they also go on to say that eating certain foods triggers a breakout a mere few hours later...pimples, depending on the severity, take at least a week up to a few weeks (if it's cystic) to form, so that invalidates that claim entirely.

Do you find those things make a difference in non-inflamed acne for you? That is my biggest issue currently as well as oily skin.

It's not always about diet, even obese people sometimes have flawless skin and they eat complete s**t.

It's always genetic. Except when it's caused solely by some topical or environmental substance as in chloracne.

And diet always affects our genetic acne.

>My diet has absolutely never affected my acne. I wish it did, because at least then I could do something about it (topicals have it under control for now). I honestly can't stand this theory because it definitely fuels stigma that people with severe cases of acne already get. If I had a dime for every time someone told me "Oh you must be eating gluten" I would seriously be rich. Acne is a disease and rarely a symptom, I wish people would treat it as an actual condition and not a reflection of a "poor lifestyle". That's just my two cents. I know of a few select people that claimed diet affects their acne, but then they never had bad acne to begin with...a blemish here and there, and they also go on to say that eating certain foods triggers a breakout a mere few hours later...pimples, depending on the severity, take at least a week up to a few weeks (if it's cystic) to form, so that invalidates that claim entirely.

It's always genetic. Except when it's caused solely by some topical or environmental substance as in chloracne.

>My diet has absolutely never affected my acne. I wish it did, because at least then I could do something about it (topicals have it under control for now). I honestly can't stand this theory because it definitely fuels stigma that people with severe cases of acne already get. If I had a dime for every time someone told me "Oh you must be eating gluten" I would seriously be rich. Acne is a disease and rarely a symptom, I wish people would treat it as an actual condition and not a reflection of a "poor lifestyle". That's just my two cents. I know of a few select people that claimed diet affects their acne, but then they never had bad acne to begin with...a blemish here and there, and they also go on to say that eating certain foods triggers a breakout a mere few hours later...pimples, depending on the severity, take at least a week up to a few weeks (if it's cystic) to form, so that invalidates that claim entirely.

Considering I'm studying to become a dermatologist, I take offense to knowing "nothing" about how the skin functions. I'm very passionate about skincare, hence why I'm on this forum. If you think acne affects your diet somehow, fantastic- then perhaps you can control it somehow, but don't generalize all other people with varying forms of acne. Let's focus on what we know to be true rather than what is just pseudoscience.

Considering I'm studying to become a dermatologist, I take offense to knowing "nothing" about how the skin functions. I'm very passionate about skincare, hence why I'm on this forum. If you think acne affects your diet somehow, fantastic- then perhaps you can control it somehow, but don't generalize all other people with varying forms of acne. Let's focus on what we know to be true rather than what is just pseudoscience.

ockquote> Nearly every word in that post reveals you know nothing about skin function and the many ways diet affect it. I've written extensively about it if you care to learn. Diet affects the hormones involved in acne, the inflammation involved in acne, the hyperkeratinization/hyper proliferation involved in acne and the composition of sebum involved in acne.

I had real acne. Severe acne. For decades. My diet and habits keep me clear. If my diet worsens my skin worsens. And included in my severe acne were cysts/nodules caused by a food intolerance that would appear the day after I consume the food. Now, I don't believe that is true acne. Nevertheless, several derms considered it to be acne and drugged me accordingly.

The real tragedy is all the skinny, clear skinned people think their bad diet and lifestyle isn't harming them. So where do you think all this chronic disease in this sickly culture comes from?

I'd be very interested to see some before and after pictures of your skin if you happen to have any. Also, based on the severity of your acne, I can only assume you've been left with some degree of scarring?

>My diet has absolutely never affected my acne. I wish it did, because at least then I could do something about it (topicals have it under control for now). I honestly can't stand this theory because it definitely fuels stigma that people with severe cases of acne already get. If I had a dime for every time someone told me "Oh you must be eating gluten" I would seriously be rich. Acne is a disease and rarely a symptom, I wish people would treat it as an actual condition and not a reflection of a "poor lifestyle". That's just my two cents. I know of a few select people that claimed diet affects their acne, but then they never had bad acne to begin with...a blemish here and there, and they also go on to say that eating certain foods triggers a breakout a mere few hours later...pimples, depending on the severity, take at least a week up to a few weeks (if it's cystic) to form, so that invalidates that claim entirely.&n

bsp;
Nearly every word in that post reveals you know nothing about skin function and the many ways diet affect it. I've written extensively about it if you care to learn. Diet affects the hormones involved in acne, the inflammation involved in acne, the hyperkeratinization/hyper proliferation involved in acne and the composition of sebum involved in acne.

I had real acne. Severe acne. For decades. My diet and habits keep me clear. If my diet worsens my skin worsens. And included in my severe acne were cysts/nodules caused by a food intolerance that would appear the day after I consume the food. Now, I don't believe that is true acne. Nevertheless, several derms considered it to be acne and drugged me accordingly.

The real tragedy is all the skinny, clear skinned people think their bad diet and lifestyle isn't harming them. So where do you think all this chronic disease this sickly culture comes from?

My diet has been great for a long time now. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I avoid wheat, sugar, and animal products. I don't eat vegetable oils or any oils for that matter. I eat good fats (cashews and avocado) and some gluten free whole grains like oatmeal. My skin is still sooo clogged up and lately it has been very oily. It was like this before I eliminated meat too. I exercise, get enough sleep, my vitamin D is not low. My stress levels could be lower, but I have an anxiety disorder so it's never going to be perfect. Why is what I'm doing not good enough to have clear s

kin?

Paige, what do you mean by clogged up? Blackheads? Closed comedones? I think non inflamed acne like this has to exfoliate away which takes time. You could add mild exfoliants like a BHA or diluted acv. For blackheads a clay mask or oil cleansing which is the only thing I've found to work for me.

And are you sure it isn't caused by a topical? How often are you cleansing?

Is your skin oilier because it's summer?

Is this acne different from what you had before?

Do you consume flax seed?

All I can show you is pictures of my current clear skin and scarring. I took some today. However, I had dermabrasion done years ago so they aren't as deep as they would otherwise be.

Also:

I'd be very interested to see some before and after pictures of your skin if you happen to have any. Also, based on the severity of your acne, I can only assume you've been left with some degree of scarring?

That's interesting that you got improvement from dermabrasion, there aren't very many people who obtain more than minimal improvements or end up with worse scarring (at least according to online reviews). How much improvement did you get from the procedure?

All I can show you is pictures of my current clear skin and scarring. I took some today. However, I had dermabrasion done years ago so they aren't as deep as they would otherwise be.

Also:

That's interesting that you got improvement from dermabrasion, there aren't very many people who obtain more than minimal improvements or end up with worse scarring (at least according to online reviews). How much improvement did you get from the procedure?

ll I can show you is pictures of my current clear skin and scarring. I took some today. However, I had dermabrasion done years ago so they aren't as deep as they would otherwise be.

lso: