Photo

115 Lb, 22 Year Old Female On Accutane For The 1St Time!

accutane acne scarring hyperpigmentation low-dose long-term

117 replies to this topic

#101 Beautyaddict888

Beautyaddict888

1st Time Accutane User- F/29yo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Hey guys! Thank you for the reply. My dosage IS early and I think you're right- I should start seeing dry skin around 10 days or so, based on a lot of the reviews I've been reading..
Once all the dry skin kicks in, I must admit, looking for hydrating, anti aging, brightening moisturizers or serums is pretty nice! It is a whole new lifestyle and exciting.

So day 5: oily skin, dry lips, almost clearer complexion but still see the annoying blemishes here and there. Nothing else

On another note, I have a personal question to ask you guys - once your body is at a steady dose of the medication, does your skin eventually push out the clogged comedones that was imbedded deep in your pores? Or is that something you have to manually and painfully squeeze out?

#102 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the tips, ladies!

This morning when I woke up my chin was dry and peeling. Moisturizer took care of most of it. I've also noticed that the uncomfortable, tight feeling isn't as bad as it has been the last couple of days. Maybe I'm just getting used to it? Ha.

Question for those of you who have been on it longer...did you notice that working out was a little more difficult? Did you get "winded" more easily? I went on a hike earlier and it felt slightly more difficult than when I did it last week. Wondering if the meds have something to do with it. I've read about people getting joint pain, but it wasn't that. And I've been staying SUPER hydrated so I don't think it was a matter of dehydration. 

(Today is Day 12)

I personally didn't work out at all since I've been on Accutane, so I can't comment. I mean I've gone for walks and stuff, but that's pretty much the extent of it. This may sound silly, but I'm already quite skinny - and I didn't want to intentionally burn off any fat since Accutane needs fat to be stored in your body and work effectively.

Hey guys! Thank you for the reply. My dosage IS early and I think you're right- I should start seeing dry skin around 10 days or so, based on a lot of the reviews I've been reading..
Once all the dry skin kicks in, I must admit, looking for hydrating, anti aging, brightening moisturizers or serums is pretty nice! It is a whole new lifestyle and exciting.

So day 5: oily skin, dry lips, almost clearer complexion but still see the annoying blemishes here and there. Nothing else

On another note, I have a personal question to ask you guys - once your body is at a steady dose of the medication, does your skin eventually push out the clogged comedones that was imbedded deep in your pores? Or is that something you have to manually and painfully squeeze out?

Honestly, I've heard that people's blackheads become super noticeable as they are getting pushed out, and then they all just come out on their own. This never happened to me. The little ones came out on their own over time as they would have with or without Accutane, but the bigger ones that were deeper in my skin, my dermatologist removed manually. I suggest you get this done by a dermatologist because you could really damage your skin and cause scarring trying to do it yourself.

On another note, I've noticed that I'm now really dehydrated when I wake up in the morning even though I drink water right before I go to sleep. My throat is all dry and my voice is super raspy. I guess I need to just drink MORE water during the day. I drink about 2L of water a day. Wondering, how much water do you guys drink?

#103 ambermo

ambermo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hey there! I'm on Day 13 and for the first time EVER, I do not feel the need to go blot oil off my face every hour. WOW. It's one thing to have pimples, but it's another to have pimples AND a greasy face. I'm so excited. That said, I need to step up my moisturizing game now that the dryness seems to be kicking in. Chin area is peeling a little (nothing my face moisturizer can't take care of) and there are still cysts and pimples in that area and on my cheeks, but all seem to be healing up nicely. Hoping nothing crazy happens tonight while I sleep because I have a client meeting in the morning, ugh. All in all, feeling super positive and grateful for progress.

I'm only a few days ahead of you so I'm not sure about the clogged comedones, but I can tell you that the black heads on my nose look exactly the same as they did before starting the medication. I keep studying them and wondering whether they are all going to turn into pimples or just disappear. Lol. 

Thanks for the tips, ladies!

This morning when I woke up my chin was dry and peeling. Moisturizer took care of most of it. I've also noticed that the uncomfortable, tight feeling isn't as bad as it has been the last couple of days. Maybe I'm just getting used to it? Ha.

Question for those of you who have been on it longer...did you notice that working out was a little more difficult? Did you get "winded" more easily? I went on a hike earlier and it felt slightly more difficult than when I did it last week. Wondering if the meds have something to do with it. I've read about people getting joint pain, but it wasn't that. And I've been staying SUPER hydrated so I don't think it was a matter of dehydration. 

(Today is Day 12)

I personally didn't work out at all since I've been on Accutane, so I can't comment. I mean I've gone for walks and stuff, but that's pretty much the extent of it. This may sound silly, but I'm already quite skinny - and I didn't want to intentionally burn off any fat since Accutane needs fat to be stored in your body and work effectively.

>>Hey guys! Thank you for the reply. My dosage IS early and I think you're right- I should start seeing dry skin around 10 days or so, based on a lot of the reviews I've been reading..

Honestly, I've heard that people's blackheads become super noticeable as they are getting pushed out, and then they all just come out on their own. This never happened to me. The little ones came out on their own over time as they would have with or without Accutane, but the bigger ones that were deeper in my skin, my dermatologist removed manually. I suggest you get this done by a dermatologist because you could really damage your skin and cause scarring trying to do it yourself.

On another note, I've noticed that I'm now really dehydrated when I wake up in the morning even though I drink water right before I go to sleep. My throat is all dry and my voice is super raspy. I guess I need to just drink MORE water during the day. I drink about 2L of water a day. Wondering, how much water do you guys drink?

I've been drinking at least 16oz. of water every hour and sipping on green tea throughout the day (probably make about 3 or 4 cups of it a day). This isn't too difficult for me because I don't drink soda, so water, tea, juice and milk are my go-to options anyway. My rule of thumb has been if my pee is clear then I'm good!

As for waking up thirsty, I keep a cup of water by my bed and chug it immediately after I wake up. I hate drinking water too close to bedtime because inevitably I wake up an hour or two before my alarm needing to pee. 

Edited by ambermo, 06 November 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#104 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

I've been drinking at least 16oz. of water every hour and sipping on green tea throughout the day (probably make about 3 or 4 cups of it a day). This isn't too difficult for me because I don't drink soda, so water, tea, juice and milk are my go-to options anyway. My rule of thumb has been if my pee is clear then I'm good!

As for waking up thirsty, I keep a cup of water by my bed and chug it immediately after I wake up. I hate drinking water too close to bedtime because inevitably I wake up an hour or two before my alarm needing to pee. 

^^ Good advice! I'm going to try and keep the majority of my water intake closer to the morning. I do drink a lot of plain herbal teas, which I count into the 2L. And you're right, I do wake up before I need to to go pee so that would solve that issue.

By the way, I had a gingerbread latte from Second Cup the other day, I love the one from Starbucks.. and noticed Second Cup had it too, so I wanted to try it.. and BOY OH BOY, it was basically like drinking syrup. Soooo sweet. I could only drink about 1/3 of it (a medium) and later on checked it's nutritional value on their website and turns out it has 58g of sugar in it!!!! LIKE WHAT. That's insane. I'm glad I didn't drink the whole thing. I tried looking for the nutrition facts for the one from Starbucks and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I don't know why I'm talking about this on here but that was a waste of $4, for sure. If you guys are out getting a latte or something, and if you can handle a stronger tasting coffee, it's a good idea to ask for it "half sweet" to cut down on the sugar. :)

#105 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

GUYS I'M SO EXCITED TO HAVE COMPLETELY CLEAR AND GLOWING SKIN :D

Right now I have 1 pimple, and 2 blackheads. The blackheads have been there for a while and I can't really do anything about them until I go to my dermatologist and have them extracted. The pimple appeared yesterday and prior to that my skin was completely smooth for about 1-2 weeks. I do have TONS of hyperpigmentation and scarring (indentations) so it'll be interesting to see if Accutane will get rid of those too. :) If you have scarring too, I'll be sure to let you know if it helped with that as well.

As of right now, if I continue with 30mg a day, I have about 3 months and 10 days left. If I go down to 20mg, it will be 5 months. Which is crazy!!!!! Because I've already been on this for almost 6 months. BUT I'd rather have less side effects and be on it for longer! But that's just me! :) :)

#106 Russel

Russel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

That's great!! Hopefully things continue to get even better for you in these next couple of months. Also are any of y'all's doctors taking your dosage down for the winter? Mine wants to do that even though it doesn't really get that cold where I live...

#107 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

Thank you :) Appreciate it!

And nope. I don't see why that would really be necessary. My dermatologist didn't mention anything as such, and I live in Canada/Toronto!

#108 ambermo

ambermo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

^^ Good advice! I'm going to try and keep the majority of my water intake closer to the morning. I do drink a lot of plain herbal teas, which I count into the 2L. And you're right, I do wake up before I need to to go pee so that would solve that issue.

By the way, I had a gingerbread latte from Second Cup the other day, I love the one from Starbucks.. and noticed Second Cup had it too, so I wanted to try it.. and BOY OH BOY, it was basically like drinking syrup. Soooo sweet. I could only drink about 1/3 of it (a medium) and later on checked it's nutritional value on their website and turns out it has 58g of sugar in it!!!! LIKE WHAT. That's insane. I'm glad I didn't drink the whole thing. I tried looking for the nutrition facts for the one from Starbucks and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I don't know why I'm talking about this on here but that was a waste of $4, for sure. If you guys are out getting a latte or something, and if you can handle a stronger tasting coffee, it's a good idea to ask for it "half sweet" to cut down on the sugar. :)

HAH! Hilarious. I never look up the nutrition facts for those drinks because I fear finding out just how bad for you they are. Good to know, though!

That's great!! Hopefully things continue to get even better for you in these next couple of months. Also are any of y'all's doctors taking your dosage down for the winter? Mine wants to do that even though it doesn't really get that cold where I live...

Interesting. My Dermatologist is actually planning to increase my dosage from 30mg to 60mg. My appointment is on the 24th.

#109 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

It's just crazy to think about when you take into consideration that we take between 10-100 mg of Accutane a day, and then consume 58 GRAMS of sugar in one drink.

#110 stephaniesabine

stephaniesabine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Congrats on your clear skin!! Yeah it serious blows my mind how much sugar some stuff has. Should have known those holiday coffee drinks are full of it! One time I drank a bottle of Mellow Yellow and then realized it has 78 grams of sugar in it.....never again! I've been trying to up my water/liquid intake since being on Accutane, I feel like my poor body is going to get so dried out I need a water IV or something. haha

#111 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

Oh my. I know. I'm trying to avoid sugar as much as I can. If I need anything sweetened, I just use maple syrup, in moderation. Which is still sugar but it's better than the unnatural, processed stuff. Drinking water is something we all struggle with, I feel like. But it's not only good for keeping the dryness to a minimum, but with overall fatigue as well. I've found that the best thing is to just drink a LARGE quantity a few times a day, so you don't feel like you're just drinking water all day long. It's also easier to keep track that way. For ex. I would drink a whole liter when I first wake up.. at once. Then a few hours later just chug a 500mL water bottle. A few hours later another 500mL bottle.. so on. It definitely makes it easier to remember how much you drank, rather than trying to count all the single glasses. And then anything you have in between, like herbal teas, is just extra water! Which is good!

And thanks so much :)

Edited by Hello Accutane, 10 November 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#112 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

Do you guys ever wonder if you caused your own acne??

#113 Russel

Russel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

Allllll the time haha. Pretty sure I did accidentally...

#114 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

How so? Do you mind sharing?

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this. :)

#115 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

I've officially passed my 6 month mark. My skin has gotten drier! I now have to moisturize my body.. if I don't, I get like a white cast all over it. My face is finally flaky, which I'm happy about because it means my skin is renewing itself faster. :) The inside of my nose is SO dry! I've bought 2 nose sprays but haven't started using until I've researched all the ingredients in them (because I'm a nerd like that), but I'm using Aquaphor with Q-Tips in the mean time. I am SOO dehydrated and thirsty ALL the time. I drink about 10-12 glasses of water a day, and I'm still thirsty, and when I wake up in the morning (or afternoon.. shhhh) my throat is soo dry. Really no other side effects other than those. I'm really happy. :) I'm seeing my dermatologist in a few days and she's gonna let me know how much longer I have. I'm guessing another 2-3 months.

Hope everyone's doing well!! :)

#116 ambermo

ambermo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Do you guys ever wonder if you caused your own acne??

I think if I caused my acne I should have been able to figure out a way to make it go away. Since nothing I was doing made it go away I have to assume that it's a bit out of my control. I'd drive myself crazy trying to pin point and narrow it down to something I did to cause it! I suppose it's a combination of things though, including my own actions and predisposition. 

#117 someone*else

someone*else

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

I've always wondered if I'd caused my own acne. And for some time, pretty much every month I'd come up with some definitive answer (like, "I drink too much alcohol", "I eat too much sugar/meat/dairy/gluten", "The water I shower in is too hot", "The fabric conditioner I use is toxic" etc. etc.) and then get on the mission to fix the problem. And it never worked, and yet every time I felt like the answer was just around the corner, and to some extent I still feel like that even now that I'm on accutane. Sometimes I feel like I could just quit the medicine and miraculously clear my skin with lifestyle changes.

But on the rare occasions when I manage to think clearly about my acne instead of despairing about it, I think I realise that whatever caused it was out of my control. I don't think we know nearly enough about the biochemistry of our bodies to try and control them by simple equations. Under stress, some people gain weight, some lose weight, some develop acne, and some get ulcers. Quitting smoking makes acne clear up in some, get worse in others, or it doesn't do anything at all. It's all completely unpredictable. And apart from that, we interact with so many chemicals in water, air, food etc. etc., that even if we knew exactly what does what to our body, we still wouldn't be able to control it. I agree that trying to do so could only drive us mad.

Sometimes it seems to me that we're kind of playing with a drug that we don't understand too well to fix problems with our bodies that we don't understand too well... 

I'm sorry if that sounds gloomy! ;) I'm actually rather optimistic about it: it's the best we can do right now, and it's great that we can make it work despite the whole unpredictability :)

Good luck with your visit!

#118 Russel

Russel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

Mine was mild to moderate up until after my first semester in college. Around then I started drinking around 2-3 glasses of skim milk a day, thinking that it was healthy for me. However I started to develop both little spots and giant cysts around that time, all in generally "hormonal areas" like under my neck, around my lips, etc. where beards grow. I had never had any acne in these places beforehand. Of course, I didn't see the correlation because I had no idea acne could be caused by something I ate. It wasn't until I switched dermatologists that the new one said there was evidence to suggest dairy, in particular milk, could cause acne. After I stopped, most of the little ones went away and the frequency decreased. However the area where the cysts had formed would repeatedly swell up and go back down and, for the most part, I could tell which spots were like remnants from that time period and which ones were new. Its been about three years since then and accutane is the only thing that has significantly decreased the number and severity of zits that I'm getting. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users