115 Lb, 22 Year Old Female On Accutane For The 1St Time!

167 posts in this topic

I would suggest staying away from bacon. Pork contains parasites and bacteria that do not die off no matter how much it's cooked.

Happy to say that my skin is still clear. :) So happy! I have also been a vegan since coming off of the medication, and I think that attributes to it as well.

1 person likes this

Hey there,

I used to come on here before I got too frustrated with my acne, but now I'm back as things have improved.

We used to support each other lol

At any rate, I just got off Accutane and I have also been vegan and so far no breakouts.

Glad to see you're doing OK, hopefully we won't have to get on a second course lol

1 person likes this

My Accutane gallery:

I highly recommend Accutane! The only side effect it really had on me was the dryness, but it was bearable. 6 months of dryness is worth a life of clear skin. Look at my album on my page if you want to see how well it works!

Hey there,

I used to come on here before I got too frustrated with my acne, but now I'm back as things have improved.

We used to support each other lol

At any rate, I just got off Accutane and I have also been vegan and so far no breakouts.

Glad to see you're doing OK, hopefully we won't have to get on a second course lol

So happy to hear that! You're saving lives everyday! :) I really think that what I eat is the biggest factor in my breakouts, I love knowing that since I'm a vegan I will never have to worry about a second course of Accutane. :)

Hello! I just started Accutane (20 mg once a day) 5 days ago, and I was wondering if the birth control will prevent the dreaded initial breakout? My acne cleared about 80% immediately when I started the required birth control a month ago and was light to moderate before that. I decided to go on accutane to finally cure it all together and get off all medication. However, I'm still worried about that IB! Any advice? thank you and I hope your treatment is continuing to go smoothly!

Hello! I just started Accutane (20 mg once a day) 5 days ago, and I was wondering if the birth control will prevent the dreaded initial breakout? My acne cleared about 80% immediately when I started the required birth control a month ago and was light to moderate before that. I decided to go on accutane to finally cure it all together and get off all medication. However, I'm still worried about that IB! Any advice? thank you and I hope your treatment is continuing to go smoothly!

Yes birth control WILL help if you've been on it for a while before starting Accutane. If you start both of them at the same time, they will both give you an initial breakout causing your Accutane initial breakout to appear worse than it is. I definitely recommend JUST taking the Accutane. Take it, get it over with, have clear skin forever. Birth control is really unhealthy to take (any medication is), and a lot more long-term than Accutane. Plus in my experience, I've found that whenever I got off of birth control, my acne came back worse because it messed up my hormones. I will neveeeeeer ever take birth control or any other medications ever again in my life, unless it's a life or death situation. :) Hope this helps.

EDIT: SORRY I definitely didn't read your message properly before typing that message. But I will leave it up anyways. I salute you for planning on getting off of all medication. I also highly recommend a vegan diet for anyone wanting to never ever take medication of any sort again. :)

Edited by Hello Accutane

thanks so much for the reply! Believe me, I fought with my derm over the birth control....I can't stand the side effects and its not necessary for its intended purpose at this time in my life. But he said he wouldn't prescribe the accutane unless I went on the pill.... UGH.

Anyway, I'm on day 6 now and I'm getting a moderate IB...any idea how long the breakout lasts? I have college in a month and a half and I'd like to have somewhat improved skin when I start as a freshman!

Thank you so much for your log and your advice it really helped me!!

So sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! I never really come on here anymore as you can tell. If your dermatologist is insisting you take birth control you could always just get your prescription filled but not actually take the medication. He'll never know. Or change dermatologists all together if that is an option! If you don't want to take it, I don't see why you have to.. Just make sure there is no chance of you getting pregnant, of course! My dermatologist allowed me to declare abstinence! Which should be an available option for you as well.

The initial breakout for me lasted 1-2 weeks. Not bad at all. I still continued to breakout after that period, but my skin got increasingly better and better as time went on. At that time my skin wasn't really dry yet, so I would use clay masks and use my Differin gel on the odd night to help with my breakouts, and I would suggest you do the same. :) NOT if your skin is already dry though! I had REALLY oily skin and I was on a low dose for the entire duration of my treatment so my skin took a while to get dry.

Other than that, it's been about 3 months since I have taken my last pill and my skin is still clear. :) I still have some hyperpigmentation and scarring but they're fading.

I'm glad I could be of help!! I hope you're doing well with your treatment and everything else, and remember clear skin is at the end of the road! And of course if you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them! <3

Cheers!

XO

thanks so much for the reply! Believe me, I fought with my derm over the birth control....I can't stand the side effects and its not necessary for its intended purpose at this time in my life. But he said he wouldn't prescribe the accutane unless I went on the pill.... UGH.

Anyway, I'm on day 6 now and I'm getting a moderate IB...any idea how long the breakout lasts? I have college in a month and a half and I'd like to have somewhat improved skin when I start as a freshman!

Thank you so much for your log and your advice it really helped me!!

My experience with Accutane was disastrous, to say the least.

At the beginning my skin got extremely dry, and I suffered from additional acne breakouts (which is natural at the beginning). One of the blood tests I had taken as part of the Accutane treatment routine had shown a dramatic increase of lymphocytes and I had to stop the treatment. In my opinion Accutan is poison... Go all natural, no medication.

My experience with Accutane was disastrous, to say the least.

At the beginning my skin got extremely dry, and I suffered from additional acne breakouts (which is natural at the beginning). One of the blood tests I had taken as part of the Accutane treatment routine had shown a dramatic increase of lymphocytes and I had to stop the treatment. In my opinion Accutan is poison... Go all natural, no medication.

I agree with you but for some of us, it really is a last resort and only option. Accutane is still the best decision I've made. I can't even imagine what my skin would have been like right now if I had not taken it.

I am an 18 yr old female and begin accutane in a couple weeks. Over the years I have tried many antibitoics and prescribed medications that did nothing or had non lasting results. My acne isn't severe but it very stubborn. It is focused on my cheeks although right now it is also on my forehead and hair line along with other spots along my face. I also suffer from body acne and have moderatly severe acne on my back which recently has spread to my shoulders and arms and also my chest. I hope that accutane will be the answer I've been looking for. I love makeup and will always love to wear it but I can't wait for the day when I can go without any face makeup or at least being able to wear it at minimal. Even wearing makeup makes me feel self conscious because of the bumps and the fact that I have to cake it on. Also I am very pale so everything is orangey and cakey looking on me. I also wish I could wear blushes and highlighters without making my cheek acne look worse. The day my cheeks are smooth I will be so happy. I also avoid wearing certain tops and bathing suits because of my body acne. It is something that really brings down my overall confidence, happiness, and self esteem. I just want to be happy in my bare skin! I know I am not alone and I hope the beginning of this journey only has good results to come!

1 person likes this

I am an 18 yr old female and begin accutane in a couple weeks. Over the years I have tried many antibitoics and prescribed medications that did nothing or had non lasting results. My acne isn't severe but it very stubborn. It is focused on my cheeks although right now it is also on my forehead and hair line along with other spots along my face. I also suffer from body acne and have moderatly severe acne on my back which recently has spread to my shoulders and arms and also my chest. I hope that accutane will be the answer I've been looking for. I love makeup and will always love to wear it but I can't wait for the day when I can go without any face makeup or at least being able to wear it at minimal. Even wearing makeup makes me feel self conscious because of the bumps and the fact that I have to cake it on. Also I am very pale so everything is orangey and cakey looking on me. I also wish I could wear blushes and highlighters without making my cheek acne look worse. The day my cheeks are smooth I will be so happy. I also avoid wearing certain tops and bathing suits because of my body acne. It is something that really brings down my overall confidence, happiness, and self esteem. I just want to be happy in my bare skin! I know I am not alone and I hope the beginning of this journey only has good results to come! 

I think we can all agree here that we know EXACTLY how you feel! :P But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, always! I had the WORST acne on my face, chest and back for YEARS and my skin is finally clear, and smooth, and applying makeup is a breeze! I'm excited for you to get there too. :) I used to also always wear tops and dresses that covered my chest and back, and now it looks like I never had any acne there. And you will get there too! <3

Everyone Is different but I did 4 month cycle on accutane. My skin was so awful and within 30 days it was completely clear. It will make your lips dry out something terrible and your skin will feel paper thin but, it's so worth it. The derm doc said it will continue to work in your system after you finish the cycle and he was correct. It's been 3 years now and my skin is clear. I still get a pimple here and there but so does everyone else. Whatever you do, don't delay using this treatment like I did. I wish I had done it years and years ago! I am left with scars both physical and mental but I am a very happy guy when it comes to my skin now. Sorry if this doesn't fit the conversation but I wanted to share my experience. 

1 person likes this

Thank you for sharing that! I completely agree with you. I wish I had done it sooner! I have so many scars but they don't bother me too much. I kinda just forget they're there/ignore them. I've come such a long way that I'm so grateful simply to not have bumps. 

My skin is still doing awesome! It's amazing how much it has improved. I'm so happy with my decision. 

One thing I've noticed the past couple of days though (which was actually the reason I logged on here) is that I've been waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, like I used to when I was on Accutane. That was one of the side effects I had... But I remember having that on antibiotics as well. I'm not on any medications now though. I don't even take Advil/Tylenol. 

Anyone have any idea why I'm experiencing this?

Accutane ruined my life.I'm 22 too and I weigh 54 kgs.I was on 40 my for 3 months.After stopping I suddenly lost a lot of fat from my previously chubby cheeks and my hair are now 40% of what they were before.I've deleted every old photo of mine from all social media because people keep commenting that I looked better with the fuller face and voluminous hair.It hurts so bad to think that I don't look beautiful anymore.Everyone says I know look old and gaunt.Idk if I'll ever gain back my cheeks and hair.Has anything like this happened to anyone of you?

On 12/9/2015 at 0:15 PM, StalwartBit said:

Accutane ruined my life.I'm 22 too and I weigh 54 kgs.I was on 40 my for 3 months.After stopping I suddenly lost a lot of fat from my previously chubby cheeks and my hair are now 40% of what they were before.I've deleted every old photo of mine from all social media because people keep commenting that I looked better with the fuller face and voluminous hair.It hurts so bad to think that I don't look beautiful anymore.Everyone says I know look old and gaunt.Idk if I'll ever gain back my cheeks and hair.Has anything like this happened to anyone of you?

To be honest, it sounds like you have really low iron! That happened to me before I went on Accutane... I had really low iron and I didn't even know it. My hair was falling out, my skin was wrinkled, I was so so so skinny, I was cold all the time and fainted time and time again. So it is possible that you have really low iron/anemia and it being exaggerated by the Accutane (because Accutane can also lower your iron levels). Please go get your iron levels checked! I always say this, but I can never say it enough, VEGAN DIET will help with that also. I noticed a major improvement in my health and was able to get off iron supplements when I decided to start eating vegan (crazy right?). As a meat eater, I never ate enough food because I would always restrict what I ate because I was afraid that it was unhealthy (which it is). Therefore in return, I had low iron and no energy. As a vegan, I am able to eat AS MUCH AS I WANT, without even giving calories or any of that a second thought. And my iron levels and health has never been better. EAT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT because vegan plant-based whole foods are rich in nutrients and low in calories and that's what your body needs to heal itself. It's also an amazing feeling to be able to eat as much as you want and not think about it for a second. It takes weight off your mind and improves mental health in return.

What can you eat as a vegan?

Rice
Potatoes
Avocadoes
Chickpeas
Beans
Greens (Lettuce, kale, spinach, arugula, etc etc.)
Tomatoes
Carrots
Cucumbers
Bananas
Corn
Apples
Berries (Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc etc.)
Apples
Nut milks (Soy, almond, cashew, oat, etc etc.)
Vegan substitutes (Like veggie burgers, coconut yogurt, dairy-free ice cream... and more)
Bread!
Oranges
....AND MORE!

There are literally so many things!