Photo

115 Lb, 22 Year Old Female On Accutane For The 1St Time!

accutane acne scarring hyperpigmentation low-dose long-term

36 replies to this topic

#1 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

HI EVERYONE!!!! smile.png

So I'm a little late here, but better late than never right?! I've already been on Accutane for about a month and half now, and was originally keeping a little journal for myself to look back and reflect on.. but decided to share it here with you guys so maybe it will be of some help to someone else.

I'm just going to copy & paste my word document with my entries on what I've experienced so far.

Thursday, May 15, 2014
1st DERMATOLOGIST APPOINTMENT:
YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Got about 5-6 cortisone injections. 1 cyst drained.
I am gonna get an allergy test done. Acne can be caused by allergies and I want to rule of that possibility or figure out what I should be avoiding!
No prescription yet.. I need to go get my blood tests done.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

After having those injections done to my face, it seems that the amount of cysts I had have multiplied.. especially on my cheeks. I still need to go back to my dermatologist for my Accutane prescription.  I keep having second thoughts and googling all this stuff on Accutane. I almost don’t want to believe that my acne has gotten so bad, to the point that I have to take Accutane. I mean, I don’t HAVE to take it, but I’m so miserable. It’s really hard to have all these lumps on your face, not being able to normally place your face on the pillow because it hurts so bad (plus I’m always afraid of popping the cystic acne inside the skin on my cheeks and have it spread around in there), and just feel so uncomfortable going out and facing people. It’s really hard. As cliché as this is, I feel VERY uncomfortable in my own skin. It not only hurts to touch my face, it hurts to look at myself in the mirror. It’s so frustrating to have people tell me what I should do or what I should try. It didn’t use to bother me in the beginning and I was happy for the help and support, but now having exhausted all the options and having all this knowledge about acne and my own skin, it’s really frustrating when someone tells me about how they saw somewhere that if you rub a potato on your face, it will heal your acne. I mean come on…. I don’t mean to be so pessimistic…. But do you see my face?! A potato isn’t gonna heal this. BUT you know what? I don’t blame them. They’re only trying to help, and plus, what they only see is the redness and actual whiteheads (pimples) on my face and not all of the cysts way under my skin. It hurts, it really hurts. Physically and emotionally. I feel so drained sometimes and weak. I sometimes get mad at myself for allowing something as this to get to me, because people are always telling me it’s something silly to be upset about when there are worse things happening to people, but they’re not me and they don’t feel what I feel. They don’t KNOW what it feels like. It’s like telling someone with depression to simply stop being depressed. It doesn’t work that way. It’s completely robbed me of my happiness. I’m so conflicted as to what I need/want to do. In a way, I feel like I’m selling my soul to the devil by going on Accutane. Maybe there’s a lesson I need to have learned from acne, and haven’t yet, therefore my acne hasn’t healed. It’s really hard to deal with. Maybe once I learn to be happy despite this acne, it will finally go away. But what if it doesn’t? And I am even more depressed in the end? I didn’t mention that my acne is very scarring. Delaying treatment MAY = more scarring? I don’t wanna get any of these side effects. I’m so conflicted. I wish an answer would just pop into my life.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Got my blood test done today!!!! My doctor should call me tomorrow to book my next appointment. Hopefully all is well with my blood tests! I’m so excited! One thing I accidently did was pee before I left my house to go to the clinic, and since they need a urine test too, I had to drink a little water before leaving my house so that I could pee in the cup. The clinic was also really busy so we had to wait a little over an hour to be seen. We will make appointments next time. All in all, I can’t wait to start!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014
I keep thinking of weird shit that I can’t post here, but dermatologist appointment tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Thursday, May 22, 2014
I just took my first Accutane pill!!!! I’m so happy. I can’t wait for some results. I’m taking 10mg a day this month.

Friday, May 30, 2014
Ok, so.. I’ve taken a total of 8 Accutane pills at 10mg. So far, not much is different. The first 3 days taking it, I had a very mild headache but that could just be coincidence with the weather change and all that. My face did seem to get a little worse, but nothing out of the ordinary.. and nothing I haven’t dealt with before. Other than that.. no side effects. I haven’t even gotten dry yet. So I guess we’ll have to wait & see biggrin.pngbiggrin.png Ta ta!

Sunday, June 01, 2014
I would not wish acne on my worst enemy. That's all.

Thursday, June 5, 2014
I’ve noticed the first improvements in my skin on the 13th day.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

So it’s been 3 weeks!!!! My hair is officially getting drier. I haven’t washed my hair in 2 days and feels like I JUST washed it! So amazing. Other than that, my face a little more dry but nothing too crazy.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Today was the first day I woke up feeling like “wow my face is dry!”
Hair has been drier too, I used to have to wash my hair atleast every other day, now I can go 4 days without it getting oily.

#2 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

Taking the plunge with Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:After spending my whole summer on tazorac, doxy and birth control pills I'm ready to kick start the semester with accutane and a new dermatologist.

History:
    8-9 years use of Duac and Differin that kept me relatively clear, but never 100% except on a rare occasion.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

are you staying on 10mg a month? do you plan on posting pics of your improvement? It'd be really cool if you do, because i'm supposed to get on 10mg as well and I'd love to see how things are working for you. Thanks :)

#3 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hey!! Honestly, I wasn't going to.. but since you asked I will :) I'm going to however crop them.. Not that I think anyone I know is going to see them but just for the sake of my own insecurities. Maybe as I get more comfortable I'll post full pictures. :)

To answer your question, I took 10mg a day the first month.. and now I'm on 20mg. So I've been on 20mg for 2 weeks. :)

.............................DARN.... :( :( I can't figure out how to post pics. Can anyone talk me through it?

#4 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:After spending my whole summer on tazorac, doxy and birth control pills I'm ready to kick start the semester with accutane and a new dermatologist.

History:
    8-9 years use of Duac and Differin that kept me relatively clear, but never 100% except on a rare occasion.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Are u on your iphone or laptop? I had trouble with it too at first, but then I figured it all in a day lol... Click on more options near the post button if ure on ur iphone.. U have to add it as a new post, u can't just put the pics on ur blog. On the laptop things are a bit easier

#5 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I'm on my laptop!
OK I think I got it smile.png Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to click there before. Seems so obvious now that I know!

This was BEFORE I started Accutane:

image(7).jpg accutane update.jpg image(13).jpg

This is after a month on 10mg and 2 weeks on 20mg:

image(8).jpg image(10).jpg image(11).jpg

Even though the lighting is different between the two sets of pictures, you can tell that it's smoothed out!

Edited by Hello Accutane, 08 July 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#6 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

History:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Wow, 10 mg is doing a pretty good job! I bet you don't have any side effects!

Would you rather keep getting bumped up every 1-2-3 months by 10mg or would you prefer less medication spread out on a longer timeframe?

#7 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

I know! For such a low dose, and only a month and half in, I'm pretty impressed! :)
I would rather be bumped up by 10mg's every month, because even though 10mg the whole time will work too, I'll end up being on it for a REALLY long time. I can also see how your body would start to adjust to a certain mg (especially if it's only 10mg) and for the treatment to stagnate, and just sort of stop improving. Or to even start having a lot of ups and downs, like breaking out one week.. clear the next.. etc. My derm originally wanted to start me off on 20mg & then jump up to 40mg but I was like no, no. Because I was so scared of the medicine I wanted to start slow to allow my body to ease into it. This was a good decision because my inital breakout was bad, but it would have been WAY worse. Plus I have like no side effects, except sensitivity to sunlight, dry lips and hair. I did get a sunburn on my lips last weekend, so make sure you buy a lipbalm with SPF! 

#8 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Just to update on everything:

I'm still breaking out but honestly they're not so bad. I have about 2 cysts, and really tiny whiteheads that usually go away in a day or two. I used to have REALLY oily skin, hair and even my chest and back.. and now they're normal. I went from blotting like 10 times a day to 0. Which is sooooo nice! And I would always HAVE to wash my hair atleast every other day.. and if I didn't wash it that second day it would need to be up in a bun. Now like 4 days later, I can leave my hair down and have it look amazing. I think Accutane is a really good option for people who have excessive oiliness, because honestly nothing else will help with that, especially in a more permanent approach. The next best thing would probably be Diane-35 birth control, but that's not a solution for guys and even for girls to take it, there is almost just as many health risks as there are with Accutane (such as blod clots, strokes, etc). Plus when I was on Diane-35, I was an emotional mess and didn't even realize how depressed I was, until I got off of it. I feel like it was a waste of time and definitely not a cure! Another thing is, I find that with birth control.. my acne becomes WORSE when I come off of it. So what's the point?   

Anyways, back to how I'm doing with the treatment. Not super dry yet. My lips feel a little dry, but once I put some aquafor on they feel totally normal. Last weekend, I went to the Digital Dreams music festival and was outside in the sun for 6 hours each day and my lips got severely sunburnt. They healed quite quickly though. I had like SPF 90 on my face, plus foundation and powder and all day, so my face was completely normal, but only applied an SPF 15 lipbalm on my lips and even though I reapplied constantly throughout the day, they still got burnt. They were swollen and red for a good few days, and blistered and peeled. So I'm on the hunt for a lipbalm with atleast SPF 30.

Other than that, I've been feeling a little more tired these days. But I don't know if that's entirely due to the Accutane. I've been eating pretty bad this past week.. pizza, sweets, etc. And my acne is definitely related to what I eat as well as my hormones or whatever else is going on inside my body. When I eat junk, especially wheat products, not only does my face breakout more but I also find myself suuuuuuuuper lathargic. Like all I wanna do is sleep. So I've made a promise to myself to cut all that stuff out of my diet, and just focus on fruits and veggies. I mean it's ok to treat yourself once in a while, but pizza 3 days in a row was not a good idea... You can definitely see it on my skin. The diet that works best for me is eating raw vegan, everything in my mind and body just agrees with it. The only problem with it is that I need to take my pill with a high-fat meal, and fruits and veggies have no fat.. so I find myself eating things like dairy and butter on toast.. which then later make me break out. So conflicting!!

Also I've been having a little bit of lower back pain but I usually do anyways so I'm not sure if it's the Accutane. I have mild scoliosis, so my spine curves in my lower back causing pressure and pain there.. which usually comes and goes. So I'm not sure which of the two it is, but either way I've been taking Omega-3's to help with that. :)

That's all for now! :)

#9 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

:( So I just got a phone call from my derm, and she asked if I had been drinking alcohol or taking any Vitamin A supplements because my one of my liver enzymes went up..

I haven't done either. Could anything else be causing this? Is there anything I can do to bring it back down??

#10 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

History:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

are you also on the pill? Im on Yaz and I feel like if I do 10mg on Accutane I'd get the benefit of both medicines over the next half a year or so...

about your liver IDK ! Wouldn't drinking more water and eating raw food help it? 

Edited by GetMeTheResults, 08 July 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#11 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

No I'm not on the pill. I plan on never taking it again.
I kinda think that even though birth control might help, when you get off both Accutane and the pill you'll break out again from coming off the pill because your hormones are gonna be all up and down. Then going on Accutane would have been for nothing. I'm not sexually active so it's not an issue for me, and if you're not either I would recommend getting off of it so Accutane can just do it's thing. Get off of it once your initial breakout from Accutane is over.

I'm gonna try that. Just drink tons of water and stay away from any animal foods.

#12 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

I noticed veins on my left eyelid when I raise my eyebrows for the first time ever in my life today. WEIRD.

Definitely something to do with Accutane.

I'm gonna lower my dose to 10mg a day, especially since with my liver thing, until my next appointment.

#13 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

History:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

So if I quit the pill and I'm done with my Accutane then my acne is not going to come back?

Why are you against the pill?

#14 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

Yeah more likely than if you were to stay on it and get off of it sometime after your course of Accutane. This is my personal opinion and I don't mean this is what would happen to everyone. I just know my body really well and know this is what would happen to me if I were to do that, and for anyone who has hormonal acne. Which I think you said that you do.

I'm against the pill because everytime I've gone on it, my acne was worse coming off it than when I first started. I think it really messes with your hormones, it's bad for your health, it doesn't cure acne, and it's just plain unnessesary. Be honest with yourself, is birth control really gonna get rid of your acne? I feel like it's a waste of time. And if I'm already putting Accutane in my body, I don't wanna double that up with another dangerous drug.

I also don't like the idea of consciously making myself temporarily infertile lol. I dunno, I just can't see how that could be good for you.

#15 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

I also agree about not being on the pill.  It's something that EVERYONE will eventually have to come off of whether or not you want to have kids and many acne prone people will experience breakouts that can least for months on end.  When i did birth control years ago, it was a disaster getting off and it took a while for my body to work things out.  If you are not sexually active, then there is no need for it. 

#16 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

History:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

The only reason why I got on the freaking pill is because of the statistics that it cures moderate acne in more than half of the women who get on it in 3 months and also because every gynecologist swears by it.

That being said, there are also beliefs that after many years on the pill women lose their ability to conceive, probably not by a lot but it adds up. I agree with HelloAccutane that too many medicines in your system cannot be a good thing! I'd even cut on my vitamin intake to make sure nothing is interacting with Accutane, except for maybe Fish oil, Evening Primrose oil and Flaxseed oil to help absorption.

For me, LoeStrin 24 never made a difference and the generic of Ortho Tri-Cycline made things SO BAD. Yaz hasn't made a difference and it's almost been a month and I know I should wait another month to be 100% certain, but I'd be on the tane by then. Besides, the pill only improves the acne, but it doesn't cure it 100% so what's the point of being on a medication if you're not getting the results you need? Being slightly infertile for a female is just as bad as having a slightly messed up liver. Just my opinion.

Yeah more likely than if you were to stay on it and get off of it sometime after your course of Accutane. This is my personal opinion and I don't mean this is what would happen to everyone. I just know my body really well and know this is what would happen to me if I were to do that, and for anyone who has hormonal acne. Which I think you said that you do.

I'm against the pill because everytime I've gone on it, my acne was worse coming off it than when I first started. I think it really messes with your hormones, it's bad for your health, it doesn't cure acne, and it's just plain unnessesary. Be honest with yourself, is birth control really gonna get rid of your acne? I feel like it's a waste of time. And if I'm already putting Accutane in my body, I don't wanna double that up with another dangerous drug.

I also don't like the idea of consciously making myself temporarily infertile lol. I dunno, I just can't see how that could be good for you.

#17 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Yeah exactly! Birth control is pointless.

Also Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil is basically the same thing, so you can just take one of the two. Flaxseed Oil is better for people with acne because it's plant based and while Fish Oil only has Omega-3, Flaxseed has Omega-3 and 6. Evening Primrose Oil only has Omega-6. SO, you could either take a fish oil + evening primrose oil or only the flaxseed oil because it covers both Omega-3 and 6. However, even though the Flaxseed Oil already has Omega-6 in it, you can still take Evening Primrose Oil because it's not really possible to take too much of it. Like my Evening Primrose Oil says to take 4-6 a day.. and I'm lucky if I remember to take 2. So when I also take the Flaxseed Oil, I get the of the Omega-6 from there. 

Sorry, I hope that made sense!

Is it weird that I'm excited to go to my dermatologist and get injections and extractions done tomorrow?

Edited by Hello Accutane, 09 July 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#18 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

History:

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Not weird at all, but after a couple of those visits eventually you'll give up on them.
Recently I did 2 visits in 4 days and it had about 7-8 injections done per visit.
I don't even count the extractions lol.
It helps the active ones, but it doesn't prevent the tiny ones that you'll get in a week..... Of course, it's better to take care of some of them at least, but we should definitely keep searching for a more permanent solution

#19 Hello Accutane

Hello Accutane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Well I'm already on Accutane.. She does them to help with the IB and flaring until you're clear. The first time I ever got them done was right before starting Accutane.

UPDATE: DAY 50

I can't believe today is day 50.......... Seriously.... It's so crazy becasuse when you first start you count the days like day by day. And then you just forget and the time starts going by so fast, and all of a sudden you're at day 50! I had a dermatologist appointment today and she said that my skin is doing a lot better because I have way less cysts and that I'm basically getting only surface breakouts which she can easily extract. Things are going good, and of course I want faster results, but at a month and 20 days in I didn't expect miracles. I do feel like I've made good progress. :) 

Other than that, while the normal range for the liver enzymes is between 25-31, one of the two enzymes, went up to 35. Which she says is not so bad, but I have to be careful and get another blood test done tomorrow. Which then in a few days she's going to call me back and let me know whether or not to stay on the 20mg or go back down to 10mg.

My skin is getting a little dry, and I have a little bit of flakiness around my nose and mouth. Other than that, the rest of the skin on my  body and face is doing good. Also I have this weird pain on the right side of my abdomen. I hope it's nothing bad. :(

#20 Mandycandy

Mandycandy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Good luck with the blood test!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users