97 replies to this topic

#61 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

I don't know if I want to add anything else new to my regimen. But it is so frustrating still being in this cyst-outbreak stage. Since April! Started the spiro in May. I am crying right now. I absolutely hate what I see in the mirror. What I feel on my skin. I am past depressed. I am just vacant. Nothing works. 

#62 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I am just wondering if the tazorac is making things worse. When i use that stuff or retin-a it turns my clogged pores into cysts but the aha doesnt do that. Just something to think about but washing with a gentle cleanser and using aha and then bp for spot treating i think would work so much better.

#63 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family and wonderful husband. I also enjoy going to the movies, working out, shopping, and anything to do with beauty. Plz feel free to add me as a friend, would love to chat with people who are going thru the same acne issues as me.

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

wow kirks im so sorry to hear your still struggling with cystic break outs!! I truly hope things start looking up for you soon! I know for me it was a battle the whole first 6 months. As of today I have zero acne so there is still hope with the Spiro! I posted 2 or 3 pics of how Spiro has worked on my skin, I don't think I could live without it now but for those 6 months they were hell, l would of never thought I would be at this point when I look back and see how painful and horrible my acne and cysts were. Don't lose hope kirks!!

Edited by Valerie44, 24 August 2014 - 08:29 AM.

MORNING

Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Take Minocycline 100mg (when needed)

NIGHT
Take Spironolactone 50 mg
Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Apply Aczone 5%
Retin-A .1% (waits 20 to 30 mins before applying)

MAKEUP

Origins Silk Screen Powder in Light Spice from Macys

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation
Lancôme Blush in Shimmery Pink Pool
Origins Lipstick in Buttercup
BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black
Sephora Contour Eye Pencil Water Proof in Black Lace

#64 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

I can't remember if I already said this, but for some people retinoids just don't work. They will turn small sebum plugs into cysts. Retinoids have always done this for me. I just can't touch the stuff.

Even after I cleared up on spiro (meaning ZERO zits), my skin isn't perfect. I get little blackheads here and there. I tried adding back in retinoids after I'd been clear for months and got a whole crop of deep bumps. It was really frustrating. 

Tazorac is also one of the strongest retinoids out there. I would just stop using it.

Edited by Green Gables, 25 August 2014 - 08:46 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#65 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

I've been using retinoids for awhile though, so I'm not sure if that is what is causing a cystic outbreak. My derm seems to think they help. Almost at four months of spiro. I still have this prevailing cyst right by my bottom lip. Erghhh. It is seriously the most disgusting and PAINFUL thing. I want to wear one of those hospital masks around campus. sad.png

Not sure if the finacea will help with the scarring/redness...

I seem to be forming another cyst on the other side of my mouth/lip area. What the heck is going on??? I haven't been swapping spit with anyone recently, and I don't smoke, not a heavy drinker. These are gross, and I want to get rid of them STAT. Any suggestions for these cysts?? Natural remedies or any ointments for the redness/swelling? 

Edited by kirks, 27 August 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#66 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

My skin is so red and patchy! I don't know why :/ and the red marks/scarring are so hideous today. Seriously contemplating not going to class today. This is so awful, I feel so hideous and marked. 

#67 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

taking 2 aleve twice a day and then putting AHA and then BP over cysts seems to work pretty well. i would ice them too that helps a lot. 

seriously though i know you said you have been on tazorac for a while but were you breaking out on it before starting spiro? i would seriously consider switching to AHA because it works very well and most people do really well on it. it will also help with any red marks too so its a like a double bonus. the tazorac is probably chewing up your skin!

Edited by tracy521, 28 August 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#68 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

What is BP and AHA? I was using epiduo before spiro, then my derm prescribed tazorac, which I had used before. It didn't really seem to cause issues, it seemed to help zapping pimples away faster than without, so I'm not sure what is going on. These two cysts make it look like I have that snake bite piercing on the lips...ughh, and they hurt! I cant smile without pain/discomfort. 

Taking care of skin is such an expensive thing too. I need to watch the cost of everything with all these prescriptions. Insurance helps some, but it doesn't cover everything. 

Thank you for your replies Tracy, it means a lot. I know I have been a negative Nancy of late, but I really appreciate seeing your responses, they do comfort me!

#69 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

benzoyl peroxide and alpha hydroxy acids so think glycolic acid. i use a toner that glycolic in it and it really helps with the exfoliation process but its pretty gentle and doesnt chew up my skin like retinoids do. its amazing stuff but they also sell a glycolic acid lotion on this site as well. it all depends on how you like to use it and its super cheap. just something to think about because aha works so well for just about everybody and its not expensive and you dont need a script. bp you can find at any store for like $5 a tube.

you are welcome and i just want to help you i feel so bad. i totally get how you feel so you can rant as much as you want! i just want you to clear up so you can start living life again. i am sure you are like so done with all this crap.

#70 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

Okay, what toner do you use? I currently use witchhazel toner (which is also cheap). Will be making a grocery run probably in a few days, so I'll pick up some bp then, and investigate this aha. Part of me wonders how much my derm knows because she is always so quick to prescribe retinoids. Even at my last visit, she was eager to take me off of keflex and use a cream instead. I asked if I could wait at least a few months, so I have until October until my script runs out.

Again, thank you. I really am sick of it. A daily/nightly struggle and an emotional abyss. It really is awful, I seriously want this nightmare over. I was going to call my school's health center and asked if they did injections haha. 

Getting ready for bed, these two cysts on both ends of my bottom lip are GIANT, red, swollen, and painful. I've never had an issue with toothpaste/toothbrush/chapstick--aquaphor before. I do not know what is causing these two cysts. And at the same place, end of my mouth. They are cystic, round, it is not a coldsore. Aghh, even the one I had injected is in bloom again. What the heck is going on? I want these gone and fast. Lip cysts are the most unattractive thing ever!!! They are right there and impossible to cover up. Especially these ones, with their size and redness and over all grossness. Ugh, feeling so disgusted currently. On both sides, I just don't understand.  

Edited by kirks, 28 August 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#71 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

i use proactiv toner it works really well and is cheap. i get it on ebay for like $8 for a decent size bottle. i do think witch hazel toner works is good stuff but the proactiv toner might work better for you. it does have witch hazel in it as well and is pretty gentle on the skin. i only use it once a day but you can use it twice a day but beware it will dry out your skin unless you are using a good moisturizer. omg yeah i dont think derms really know that much either every derm i have had has always put me on retinoids and my skin cant tolerate them no matter how long i use them for. last time i tried retin-a i got a bad cystic breakout on my chin and the derm was like well yeah retin-a and all retninoids have the ability to make those clogged pores turn into cysts for some people so after that i was beyond done with that stuff. i just use the toner once a day and spot treat with bp and thats it. i think sometimes less is more when it comes to that stuff but if you try the toner and like it then you can always try the lotion on this site it has 10% glycolic acid vs 6% in the toner.

yeah it really is a struggle because it really gets you down on yourself. i lost so much weight last year i was so upset and just was so damn depressed. nobody understands it unless they have gone through it themselves ya know? its like after a while you are just done dealing with it. yeah call around and see if you can get those cysts injected. what i did last year when my derm was booked i would call every derm in the area until one could fit me in. also some medical spas do injections as well so cant hurt to exhaust every option. those ones near the mouth are a bitch they hurt so damn bad! i was living off aleve just for the pain i can feel you on that. try icing them and take some aleve or ibuprofen today that should help a bit with the swelling and inflammation.

take care of yourself and just keep hanging in there but yeah i would ditch that tazorac like stat!

Edited by tracy521, 29 August 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#72 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I've tried proactiv before, and that stuff does not sit well with my skin. I don't think tazorac is the cause of my cysts, as it has seemed to help more than hurt. All the same, I'll use my epiduo instead, as that has bp in it and is way less harsh to spot treat. I now have a cyst right above my nose, in between my eyes. With the two cysts by my lower lip it looks like an ugly isosceles triangle on my face. That coupled with the two cysts on my right-side of the jaw and one on my right temple. UGH. I feel so gross. I can't even just casually scratch an itch without feeling a bump and worry about how much worse I have made it. 

The ones on my mouth just seem to be increasing in size, as does the jaw ones and nose/forehead one. This is hell. The worst it has been in awhile, and I am almost at four months?!?! Misery does not even describe my current mindset. I am done, just so so so done. I feel disgusting, I am disgusting. This is awful. Insurance and all of that is too expensive for the copay of injections on top of all these prescriptions. I'm ready to wear a bag over my head for the rest of my life or move to Antarctica where I have to keep my face covered up. That's my plan, you all can find me there. 

Edited by kirks, 29 August 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#73 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

yeah i hate proactiv myself but the toner is really good because of the glycolic acid and witch hazel in it. it was probably due to the fact that the cleanser and lotion in the proactiv both have bp in them so i could see how that with the glycolic acid could be way too drying. just the glycolic alone would be totally fine for you and very gentle. if you are totally against proactiv then try the aha sold on this site. i think its pretty cheap. 

i would at least try the epiduo to see how that goes. differin is more gentle on the skin so you might do a lot better with that stuff. i cant believe your insurance charges you for all those injections. i think after i went to the derm like 5 times all the other injections i got were free but yeah the scripts are pricey it all adds up. i spent 4k trying to get my skin clear last year it was a real hit to my bank account. any luck on finding a derm for injections? are you not close to a city where they have lots of derms to choose from?

i know what you mean though when you feel that you look awful hiding out and never seeing anybody is very appealing! why not ask the derm next time you see him for some prednisone to try and calm everything down? 

Edited by tracy521, 29 August 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#74 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

I think I will stay away from proactiv just because of how my skin reacted last time. I like my olay/witchhazel toner routine well enough, and aveeno daily moisturizer works for me (though aveeno is expensive). I'll look into the AHA on this website as well--thank you for all of your input. I value that. Yeah, I usually have at least a $50 copay when I get injections. I scoured through derms here, and all the ones I called could not fit me in until October, so why bother when my appointment with my derm at home is in October? Gah, I am so frustrated today. The drastic change I will make is stopping the tazorac, or maybe stopping it in a certain area and seeing what happens compared to the rest of my face. So just epiduo for spot treatment and finacea for scarring. Isn't it incredible the amount of money spent on skin??? I am so envious of people who do not even wash their face and still have clear skin (grrr). I'll ask my derm about predinsone, but keep your fingers crossed for me, she rarely takes what I say seriously unless I am crying. 

Thanks for sticking with me through all my whiney posts of late. I think I am getting my period which might explain some of this. Gonna make this a low-key night, friends calling to go out is not what I need, as alcohol will certainly just make me feel like crap and look it guaranteed. 

#75 Vkey

Vkey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

If you have hormonal acne. Try your spiro 100mg with Diane 35 contraceptives. Works better than spiro and antibiotics... At least for me. Ask with your doctor tho.

#76 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

Vkey, thank you for that advice! I think this whole acne mess started because of the generic form of birth control I was on. I want to wait at least a year on spiro while my hormones all balance out before I introduce something new like birth control. I will ask about the Diane 35 though. I agree, I think staying long-term on antibiotics is a bad idea. 

Skin is red/scarred pretty bad, it looks like the aftermath of a battlefield (and in ways it is). A week before I hit the four-month mark. Still ways to go. My concentration is on still trying to live my life and enjoy things without this all ruining it. Because it has for so long. It still does in some ways, so I am trying to work through that. I hope the fincea helps with some scarring. Thanks to everyone who has left helpful comments on here! Especially Tracy and Valerie! You two keep my spirits up in that I will get through this. Especially with this recent cystic outbreak. Mouth and neck areas are horrible. 

Side question, has spiro helped at all with blackheads? The ones on my nose seem to be permanent. I've had them for years, and I have tried everything, but they do not budge!

#77 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hey kirks! Just wanted to say glad you are hanging in there. You been using the epiduo the last few days? Any luck on those bigger cysts? I hope you got out this weekend and got to do something fun but then again I know the anxiety can make that it hard to do that.
So do you have indented scars or just red marks? I have been doing different laser treatments and just want you to know there is hope and once the red marks are gone everything else will look better too!
I have one blackhead on my jawline that i cant seem to get rid of so i dont think spiro helps those deep seated ones but i know a good esthetician will be able to extract that for you so when you clear up you can go see one.
You seem to be in better spirits today so thats good! Just try to be positive and know things are going to work out for you somehow, someway.

#78 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hey Tracy! 

I am doing better, trying to keep my mind focused on other things. I really am still upset about my appearance. I will remain patient, as I do think the medicine is helping. Cysts take forever to fade/go down. I do not think my skin/scars are pitted, they are more just red/darkened areas. I think stopping the tazorac was the right call--so thank you to all who warned me about the retinoids. Epiduo seems to be working better. It dries my skin out a bit, so I only use it to spot treat and use aveeno and aquaphor to moisturize. Going to get bloodwork done later this week to check my potassium levels. Haven't noticed too many side effects from spiro. My period has always been irregular, so that is not a huge change for me. 

The blackheads on my nose are so atrocious. Nothing works, and I do not understand! My derm tried extracting them, but it did not really help, so I am at a loss of where to go/what to do concerning them. This whole acne journey has really brought down my self confidence/esteem. It never was particularly high to begin with, but now with the cysts, it has hit an all time low. It is difficult to see anything worth liking in the mirror. Something else for me to work on, I know. Just had to vent a bit. 

#79 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hey Tracy! 

I am doing better, trying to keep my mind focused on other things. I really am still upset about my appearance. I will remain patient, as I do think the medicine is helping. Cysts take forever to fade/go down. I do not think my skin/scars are pitted, they are more just red/darkened areas. I think stopping the tazorac was the right call--so thank you to all who warned me about the retinoids. Epiduo seems to be working better. It dries my skin out a bit, so I only use it to spot treat and use aveeno and aquaphor to moisturize. Going to get bloodwork done later this week to check my potassium levels. Haven't noticed too many side effects from spiro. My period has always been irregular, so that is not a huge change for me. 

The blackheads on my nose are so atrocious. Nothing works, and I do not understand! My derm tried extracting them, but it did not really help, so I am at a loss of where to go/what to do concerning them. This whole acne journey has really brought down my self confidence/esteem. It never was particularly high to begin with, but now with the cysts, it has hit an all time low. It is difficult to see anything worth liking in the mirror. Something else for me to work on, I know. Just had to vent a bit. 

Don't underestimate those nose pore strips. I first exfoliate my skin with a scrub and then thoroughly wet the nose and slap a Biore strip on there. Make sure when you press it on that you press straight down. Don't press and slide, or it doesn't stick to the blackheads as well. 

P.S. are you taking vitamin D3? I had a big breakthrough with taking those in my pre-spiro days. I still take D3 every day. I learned that it the D3 conversion process from sun exposure happens in the oils of your skin and it takes about 72 hours. That means that if you went out in the sun you would only get the D3 from it if you limited your showers to once every 3 days..gross. I take 5,000 - 10,000 IU of D3 daily. It's a pro-hormone that really helps the skin. 

Edited by Green Gables, 03 September 2014 - 12:45 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#80 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hey Tracy! 

Don't underestimate those nose pore strips. I first exfoliate my skin with a scrub and then thoroughly wet the nose and slap a Biore strip on there. Make sure when you press it on that you press straight down. Don't press and slide, or it doesn't stick to the blackheads as well. 

P.S. are you taking vitamin D3? I had a big breakthrough with taking those in my pre-spiro days. I still take D3 every day. I learned that it the D3 conversion process from sun exposure happens in the oils of your skin and it takes about 72 hours. That means that if you went out in the sun you would only get the D3 from it if you limited your showers to once every 3 days..gross. I take 5,000 - 10,000 IU of D3 daily. It's a pro-hormone that really helps the skin. 

Hi--I actually started taking vitamin D3 about a month ago. Interesting to learn more about the process! I also take Lysine and Zinc, Vitamin C, A, E. Also iron supplements because I am a bit anemic. 

What scrub do you use to exfoliate? I've tried the biore strips before without much success, but maybe I'll run to the drugstore later this week and pick some up and try again. I would press and slide, so that is good to know now not to do that in the future. These blackheads really have become irritating, and they are so noticeable. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users