#41 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Thank you Tracy smile.png

I'm still experiencing cysts along my jawline, but there is now this break-out occurring around my neck. Usually I've experienced this before, but not toward the center of my neck (much harder to hide) as my hair doesn't cover them. Still cystic and inflamed and not going away. The cheek area is still bad as are the temples and that spot on my forehead and the ones on my chin.

I don't ever see this ending!!! Still cysts?!?! And more in areas like my neck?!?! What is going on...it isn't better, it keeps getting worse. I am up to keflex twice a day now. Ughhh. Over a week on that, and almost at the three month mark on Spiro and nothing to show for it. I am miserable. 76 days on Spiro...should cysts still be forming??? What if this isn't working for me? I just want clear skin, I am still waking up with multiple new cysts. Now in places harder to cover up--like the front of my neck!!!

Edited by kirks, 30 July 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#42 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

ugh thats crazy about all the cysts on your jawline and neck area. when i was breaking out bad i was getting nodules along my jawline that were like so hard it was crazy and then i got a few cysts on my neck but thank goodness that was it. i hate breaking out there for some reason. how is the skin today? any better? i would try to wait another week or so for the keflex to really kick in and then see about adding prednisone even if its just for 5 days. it will help a ton with the inflammation and most times it clears up the skin pretty darn quick. if you do a 5 day taper then you should be fine and you can take it with keflex (well not together but you know what i mean) from what i see online they will even prescribe the steroids for 2-3 weeks to get you clear and then you can wean off of them. something to think about for sure.

yeah its only been less than 3 months so it could easily take 6 months or longer for the spiro to kick in it just depends on the person and everybody is different. 

#43 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Still dealing with cysts along my jawline and neck. Three really big ones just sprung up this morning on my left side, and another two on my right with some spots on my neck. My left cheek area is still inflamed as well as the mouth area. My right eyebrow area seems to be a hot spot too, with a giant and painful cyst there. 

No improvement. 

When will this be over?

As for medication Tracy, my derm is awful, and she probably won't prescribe me anything. I see her August 23rd. :/ feeling very down. Why is nothing helping??? 80 days on Spiro, about 11 on Keflex. 

#44 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

ugh i sure hope things are better for you today? any improvement at all? your derm really does sound like no help at all. any chance you can call and try to get in sooner or get on the cancellation list at least? have you looked for another derm in the area or is there nothing nearby? i know how you feel right now and its all just so awful but at some point these meds are going to kick in and start working for you i know it. more hugs and prayers ;)

#45 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Well, ninety days come midnight. My breakout on my cheek has cleared up some, and it is slowly fading. My eyebrow area as well. I had this sporadic cystic breakout on my neck, and one has started to go down (it was right on my windpipe). Another one I can tell is deep and stubborn. A small breakout on my right jawline with two clustered cyst and a couple by my left temple, but they are smaller than what was normal for me. 

I have a question for fellow spiro/keflex users....I was out on a cloudy/overcast/rainy day and then later evening 8pm/9pm near sunset, and I had sunscreen on. i broke out on my neck/chest again, and my left shoulder. My right shoulder is tattooed, so I had that side more heavily covered in sunscreen. Could this be a photoallergy I have developed because of one or both of these meds? 

I was just out for a bit. This is deeply discouraging, as now I am still broken out and experiencing redness and blisters. I took some bendaryl, but my shoulder/upper arm is still blistered and red. My neck/chest/collar bones are red blotches. I've never experienced this before. It was itchy earlier, but the benadryl did help. When will this skin nightmare be over? 

#46 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

i am pretty sure neither of these drugs can cause you to be come photo sensitive. only tetracyclines and fluoroquinolones  can cause photo sensitivity. did you by chance have any exposure to poison ivy, sumac etc? it was crazy for me a few months ago i got the worst case of poison ivy i ever had in my life and had to use a topical and oral steroid to get rid of it.  you should go to your family doctor and have them look at it if you cant get to the derm. 

more info here:

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are:

here are the side effect for keflex - if you have taken it for a while then you are probably ok. 

Cephalosporins generally cause few side effects. Common side effects associated these drugs include: diarrhoea, nausea, mild stomach cramps or upset. Approximately 5–10% of patients with allergic hypersensitivity to penicillins will also have cross-reactivity with cephalosporins. Thus, cephalosporin antibiotics are contraindicated in people with a history of allergic reactions (urticaria, anaphylaxis, interstitial nephritis, etc) to penicillins or cephalosporins. Cephalosporin antibiotics are classed as pregnancy category B.

ok so i just went online and found this info even though my derm told me that spiro would not cause photo sensitivity. i never had a problem but its worth asking your derm about. i dont even know how accurate this list but something to think about for sure. when i was on doxy it made me very sensitive so i just wore a higher spf and tried not to be out in the sun for too long. 

http://blog.pharmacy...hotosensitivity

Edited by tracy521, 12 August 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#47 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hey Tracy-

Thank you so much for that list, and all your kind words still. I know it may seem silly, but you really have been making a difference for me in getting through this.

I wonder if it was the doxy then leaving my system, since I was on that for a good number of months? And a high dosage at that (50mg to 200mg). Or maybe my tazorac? I have an appointment with my derm in a couple of weeks, so I will ask then. I like this keflex/spiro combo though. Still a bit oily in the T zone, but it has been SO humid where I live this month, so that could contribute to it. I just bought some baby SPF 55 aveeno sunscreen to wear now in addition to my daily SPF 15 aveeno lotion. At this point I am hoping and praying. I want these cysts off of my neck and face forever.  

#48 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

awe you are so sweet and i am glad that i am able to help you through this awful time. how are things today? i hope better for you i keep thinking about you and hope to come on here someday soon and read that your acne is stopping and that you are doing better!!

oh yeah its the tazorac that would do it. you cant really be in the sun with it but you said you had on spf right? i woudld get a good hat and then wear that spf 55 and you should be fine in the future. keep me updated thought what the derm says. i found this online about tazorac.

This medication may make you more sensitive to the sun. Avoid prolonged sun exposure, tanning booths, and sunlamps. Weather extremes such as wind or cold may also be irritating to the skin. Use a sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) daily, and wear protective clothing when outdoors. Wait until your skin has completely recovered from a sunburn before using this.

i dont think the doxy stays in your system for too long once you stop it. i just found this about it - 

After oral administration, doxycycline hyclate is rapidly and nearly completely absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Doxycycline is eliminated with a half-life of approximately 18 hours by renal and fecal excretion of unchanged drug.

Edited by tracy521, 12 August 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#49 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Thank you Tracy smile.png

How long were you on the keflex for with spiro? I am afraid to go off it if it is indeed causing this rash/hive outbreak because I have finally started to see some improvement, and it has come about going into my second week of keflex. I don't know if it is the spiro kicking in or the keflex, and part of me thinks the latter...I feel stuck on what to do, and with school starting soon, I want my skin to look better not worse!

Well, today I still have this rash on both of my shoulders/upper arms now. It is hive like and itchy. It is also on the front of my neck, with some areas along my collarbone. I honestly have no idea what this could be!! As if the acne/cysts weren't enough to worry about....gah

Edited by kirks, 12 August 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#50 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

you are so very welcome!! i hope you are doing well today. i was on keflex for about a year. i was very very worried to stop taking the keflex but i slowly weaned myself off and had no issues. i do use a toner with AHA daily that i do believe really helps exfoliate my skin and keep my pores clear but if i were you i would stay on the keflex for at the very least another 3-6 months that way you are sure the spiro has definitely kicked in. 

that is crazy about the rash. you should see your local doc about it he might want to put you on prednisone for a bit just to get rid of the rash. when i had that last rash though it was so bad i couldnt sleep for 3 nights because i was so itchy and then the rash was very very hot so i had no choice but to take the prednisone but i was so glad i did the rash was gone by the next day. 

Edited by tracy521, 13 August 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#51 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I see my derm on the 23rd, so I will see what she has to say. I am having a cystic outbreak on my right jawline...I wanted to cry when I felt it. There are still the cysts sitting on my neck as well. I have so much going on, and my skin is making me cry :(

#52 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

well your appointment is coming up then so thats good but that is awful about the cystic breakout on the jawline. when my acne was bad i was getting a lot of cysts there too. i had one cyst that was like the size of a nickel injected twice and it left an awful dent and i remember freaking out cuz it was just too much to deal with on top of everything else but thank god it all filled in or i probably would have just had a heart attack. i really think stress makes it worse so if there is anything you can do to try and lower your stress levels a bit that would really help. are you going to get those cysts injected? i say if you have to cry then do it. sometimes it feels better to just get it all out but just know that it will get better i promise you!! if you ever want to chat more send me a message on here and we can chat on fb too if it helps. sending tons more hugs your way smile.png

Edited by tracy521, 13 August 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#53 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family and wonderful husband. I also enjoy going to the movies, working out, shopping, and anything to do with beauty. Plz feel free to add me as a friend, would love to chat with people who are going thru the same acne issues as me.

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

I was getting a lot of cysts too, about 5 or 6 at a time that I also had to go get injected :( Tracy is right tho, it will get better its just going to take time. Hang in there kirks! We are here for you!

MORNING

Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Take Minocycline 100mg (when needed)

NIGHT
Take Spironolactone 50 mg
Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Apply Aczone 5%
Retin-A .1% (waits 20 to 30 mins before applying)

MAKEUP

Origins Silk Screen Powder in Light Spice from Macys

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation
Lancôme Blush in Shimmery Pink Pool
Origins Lipstick in Buttercup
BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black
Sephora Contour Eye Pencil Water Proof in Black Lace

#54 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thank you Tracy and Valerie--you two are amazing! Seriously helping me through this struggle. I am hoping the cystic outbreak is due to my period coming up. But you are right Tracy, I need to de-stressify. It helps not looking obsessively in the mirror like I used to so at least there is that. I have not been able to get injections because my derm is across the state, so hopefully next week, or even more hopefully, it won't be necessary. Again, thank you for your kind words! It puts a smile on my face :)

#55 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

kirks you are so welcome! i only wish there was more i could do for you. if you lived in pittsburgh i would be at your house trying to cheer you up that is for sure i am glad to be able to help you and yeah that would make more sense about the cystic break out and your period being due. the first so many months of spiro i was getting 2 periods a month and i always got my worst acne then so it was just killing me. once i started to get normal periods again and get on antibiotics i was totally fine and now being off the antibiotics since march my skin is totally fine now at any time of the month. once you get past this shitty time and you start to really clear you up you will so happy and then can really start to live your life again. i had a new appreciation for things and just felt so much happier to re-join the world again. you will be amazed at how something simple like going to dinner is exciting again!

yeah i agree you need to just totally stay away from the mirror and whatever you do dont touch your face. i find with myself if i touch my face and feel the spots i get the worst anixety its like if i dont touch it then i dont realize how bad it is. try to do something this weekend that will just totally relax you like read a book or binge watch your favorite tv show. in a few more weeks i believe you will be at such a better place i know it.

yeah i knew your derm was across the state but was just wondering if you will be getting injections when you go but yeah i agree i hope you dont need them either and that the keflex really kicks in and knocks those suckers out. you dont want to have to worry about atrophy too!

you are very welcome and i am always here for you anytime you need me. like i said before if you ever want to chat on here or fb or anything just message me.

more prayers for ya and have a great weekend!

Edited by tracy521, 15 August 2014 - 07:46 AM.

#56 QuinnMorgendorffer

QuinnMorgendorffer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

sending positive energies your way, kirks. its so wonderful to see such supportive people here. 

i don't have much experience with spiro but i do empathize with how you must be feeling :( 

when i feel completely defeated and at my lowest, i have learned that yoga is really really helpful.

even if you aren't flexible, just the act of stepping away from the things troubling you to breathe and stretch is very cleansing.

i hope you don't think i sound cliche!rolleyes.gif

#57 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

hey kirks just checking in to see how are you doing today. you have your appointment this saturday right? did you get to relax at all this weekend? 

#58 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Not doing so well today. I'm starting to breakout in cysts again on my right jawline (two right underneath, one on my lower cheekbone and one on my upper cheekbone). In addition to that, I have a big old cyst right under my lip on my left side. Also getting a cyst on my left jawline starting to emerge as well, with one popping up smack dab middle of my neck. Ugh. This is just awful. I have my appointment tomorrow, so I am going to ask to have those injected (my derm is so awful and rude) not looking forward to it. Also to refill all my prescriptions which hopefully she will do without an issue (spiro and keflex and tazorac). 

School is starting back up for me soon, and I am so upset that my face seems to be taking a turn for the worse. YET AGAIN. Still super oily as well, with so many blackheads on my nose. I am upset right now. I was looking forward to being home and doing things, but these cysts are so obvious in their size and placement, make-up won't even help. Especially the one by my lip. I want to cry. 

#59 kirks

kirks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

So the cysts are still booming, but I did have injections in them today. She also prescribed me finacea for scarring, as it is pretty bad on my left cheek. Has anyone used this before? 

Also, she talked about taking me off keflex at the next appointment (in October). Still on Spiro and keflex for now, will probably stay on spiro. 102 days on spiro. Still getting cysts. Feeling icky. The one by my lower lip left side deserves a plaque for its size. The other two on my right side aren't far behind. I am so afraid that it is going to continue to worsen. And with the school year approaching, I am mortified. I just want my skin to clear up! Feeling so down these past few days :\ 

#60 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Ugh i feel so bad that you keep getting the cysts. Have you thought about trying aha instead of the tazorac? They have it on this site. I never had luck with retinoids but aha works amazingly for me. Just a thought. I have tried to use finacea multiple times but nevet had it do anything for my acne.
More prayers on their way for you. I know this is so hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users