38 replies to this topic

#21 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Yes, I just started taking cod liver oil. There's no way to tell exactly how much vitamin A I'm getting but I'm shooting for at least 20,000 IU. I'll definitely update with my results in the coming months.

Have you had a look at these Vitamin A drops, Jofo? http://www.amazon.co...words=vitamin a

The 'Most Helpful Customer Review' explains why he/she thinks this is one of the best types of Vitamin A available and it's quite convincing- just wanted to know your opinion on it? smile.png

To be honest, I only just started looking into vitamin A a few days ago so I'm not an expert by any means. That particular supplement may very well be totally safe in large doses. Personally I'm trying to stick mostly to natural sources for my vitamin A, at least until I can do some more research.

Jofo, do you plan to try taking vitamin A? If so, please let us know how it goes! I was concerned about toxicity, but now it sounds a lot less harmful than I thought.

Yes, I just started taking cod liver oil. There's no way to tell exactly how much vitamin A I'm getting but I'm shooting for at least 20,000 IU. I'll definitely update with my results in the coming months.

Are you concerned at all about vitamin D toxicity? I was deficient in vitamin D and started taking it every day and my levels became too high. I'm nervous the same would happen with the cod liver oil.

No, I'm not concerned. As a general rule, your body handles vitamins from natural food sources much better than it handles synthetic vitamins in supplements, so the toxicity threshold is much higher. Most vitamin D overdoses come from the synthetic supplements.

#22 MattThomas

MattThomas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Any updates, Jofo? :)

#23 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

On July 2 I started taking 1 tsp. of cod liver oil per day, then one week later I decided to add 20,000 IU of Now Foods Vitamin A (the brand that FredTheBelgian uses) to help speed up the process. I haven't seen any changes yet, but back when I was on isotretinoin it took 3 weeks for the sebum-reducing effect to kick in, so I'm going to be patient with this regimen.

Edited by Jofo, 17 July 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#24 MattThomas

MattThomas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

On July 2 I started taking 1 tsp. of cod liver oil per day, then one week later I decided to add 20,000 IU of Now Foods Vitamin A (the brand that FredTheBelgian uses) to help speed up the process. I haven't seen any changes yet, but back when I was on isotretinoin it took 3 weeks for the sebum-reducing effect to kick in, so I'm going to be patient with this regimen.

Okay cool, thanks for the quick response- keep us posted! surprised.gif

Started taking around 30,000 IU daily of the Vitamin A drops which I previously linked and haven't noticed that much difference yet so yeah maybe patience is just the key here; will post again in this thread if I see any significant improvements otherwise I may switch to the Now Foods and/or Green Pasture brand. Good luck :)

#25 stilltrying1

stilltrying1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

fred said it took him 3 months to see improvement. i'm still unsure of any improvement at about 4 - 5 weeks. about 2 weeks on 40,00IU 

#26 stilltrying1

stilltrying1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

happy to report a string of days without intense oil production. if i go many hours i will feel the need to blot but i dont shine up in reflections like a mofo. i work in television and i was a standup for an interview setup during a lighting test and i had not blotted for maybe 8 hours and the only shine that the PA had to matte on me was on the nose and some on the temples. that is quite promising. 

fred - if you were to blot after many hours would you still see a sheet turning clear? would you be willing to do this test? i dont know what is normal.

#27 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

I start to become very lightly oily after 6 hours I think, but it's nowhere as bad as it was before the vitamin A days.

It means that you will see a faint stain if I blot.

It's manageable now, I can go out without worrying about it at all.

I'm trying to find a balance, taking as little vitamin A as possible while still benefiting from it.

But I've seen from the studies Jofo posted that vitamin A may not be as dangerous as we think. Thanks for posting it :).

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#28 vincevega

vincevega

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

Jofo, what would your opinion be on this Vitamin A supplement? http://www.nowfoods....00-Softgels.htm

I'm just about to start taking them, was wondering if I should be worried about anything?

Thanks a lot

#29 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Jofo, what would your opinion be on this Vitamin A supplement? http://www.nowfoods....00-Softgels.htm

I'm just about to start taking them, was wondering if I should be worried about anything?

Thanks a lot

That's the brand that I'm taking (except mine is 10,000 IU per pill), and it's also the exact supplement that FredTheBelgian said he has been using for a couple of years with no side effects. I emailed Now Foods and they said that it is 100% fish oil sourced Vitamin A, not synthetic. So I think it's a pretty safe bet as far as vitamin A supplements go, but if you have any reservations you can of course let me be the guinea pig here and see how my body responds to the supplement before trying it yourself.

#30 vincevega

vincevega

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Thanks a lot

That's the brand that I'm taking (except mine is 10,000 IU per pill), and it's also the exact supplement that FredTheBelgian said he has been using for a couple of years with no side effects. I emailed Now Foods and they said that it is 100% fish oil sourced Vitamin A, not synthetic. So I think it's a pretty safe bet as far as vitamin A supplements go, but if you have any reservations you can of course let me be the guinea pig here and see how my body responds to the supplement before trying it yourself.

Haha two guinea pigs is better than one! I'll be taking the exact same pills as I ordered the 10,000iu pills as well. I'll be taking 1 a day, then upping the dosage after a week or so, providing there's no side-effects. 

Good luck mate and thanks for the reply! 

#31 Tyler R

Tyler R

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

What about drinking alcohol and taking high dose vitamin a?  

Let's be honest here, most of us want to rid ourselves of these skin maladies so we can have fun partying and be more confident with women.  I don't want to have to avoid social drinking because I am on vitamin a regimen.

#32 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I think I read there was some danger in doing that, that a lot of the intoxication of vitamin A happening were from associated excessive alcohol intake.

Once again, these cases are very rare, and you really have to take huge amounts like, a million of IU for that to happen.

Just don't take the vitamin A the same day or the day after you have gotten drunk with your friends and I think you should be fine.

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#33 Tyler R

Tyler R

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

How's the vitamin a working for you Fred?  Still controlling oil?  I have been on 50,000 iu for almost 3 weeks with no improvement but I didn't expect any changes yet.  Just wondering if taking this for 4-6 months is going to be worth it.  

#34 MattThomas

MattThomas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Just a quick update from me:

Switched over to the Now Foods brand of Vitamin A (from fish liver oil) maybe 2 weeks ago and have been taking a single 25,000iu softgel every day since and have already seen a very noticeable reduction in the amount of oil my skin produces in addition to a great improvement of my moderate acne, I can't thank this thread enough!! However, I would still my skin to still be a fair bit more oily than the average person's, and while it is nowhere near as bad as it previously was, I still have a bit of acne so I was wondering if you guys would think it is safe or not to up the dosage to say 50,000iu per day until I get satisfactory results and then reduce it from there and see what I can get away with? Jofo's post about oil-based VItamin A and complementing it with Vitamin D3 was very helpful and said that it can make Vitamin A supplementation far less toxic, but I'm still kind of concerned about consuming that much Vitamin A since yeah it may not be toxic but I doubt it is that good for you? :/

Again, fantastic thread- thanks a lot!! :)

#35 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'm glad it's working for you MattThomas :). I understand what you're saying when you say your skin is still a bit oilier than other people. I have the same thing, but it's way more bearable now thanks to the vitamin A.

It's still working great for me, I currently take 25000 IU a day and will soon swtich to 10000 IU a day to see if I can get away with it.

Stick with it, even Accutane takes months to start working.

#36 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have been taking Vit A in addition to Vit D3 for close to 2 months now. No changes as of yet. Will be getting my blood tested soon. However, I have yet to experience any negative effects from the dosage. I do not think this is going to work for me, but will stick with it and update once I receive my blood test results.

#37 Tyler R

Tyler R

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

I have been taking Vit A in addition to Vit D3 for close to 2 months now. No changes as of yet. Will be getting my blood tested soon. However, I have yet to experience any negative effects from the dosage. I do not think this is going to work for me, but will stick with it and update once I receive my blood test results.

I have been taking 50,000 IU of NOW foods brand for 2 1/2 months along with 5,000 IU D3 and have noticed a slight reduction in oilyness.  After my hour long classes my skin isn't as oily as it was last semester.  It has not been reduced significantly though and I still blot multiple times throughout the day.  It also always retains a shine to it that normal peoples skin does not have.  I have not experienced any negative side-effects either.

Edited by Tyler R, 18 October 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#38 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

10,000 IU daily reduces my oily zone but that's in conjunction with pantothenic acid and anti-androgen daily. So yeah, I kinda doubt that 10,000 IU vitamin A all by itself is enough.

Sounds like such a big amount but a 10,000 IU pill is smaller than my pinky nail.

Edited by Green Gables, 22 October 2014 - 11:32 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#39 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

So I received my blood test results a while back but was unable to access them online and had to call directly into the Dr.'s office. I did stop the Vitamin A supplementation about 1 week  before taking the blood test after taking ~25K IU for over 2 months or so.

5/30/14 Vitamin A Levels (Before Vitamin A supplementation)

69 ug/dL

10/29/14 Vitamin A levels (After 2months @25,000IU Vitamin A supplementation)

71/ ug/dL

So it didn't raise too much. The standard range is supposed to be 18-77 so I have yet to reach toxic levels. However, I did supplement on Vitamin D3 and that one raised quite a bit from 22 ng/mL to 53.9 ng/mL (standard range being 30-100).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users