Photo
- - - - -

Male - Huge Breakout After Waxing My Body, What Do I Do?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm a hairy guy. So a week ago on Tuesday I decided to get my body waxed, except for arms and legs. Now, I haven't had much acne since I was like 17. Now I'm 19, almost 20. I still had some acne on my back and some on my buttocks, but nothing close to as much as I could have expected to have now.

A few days after waxing and suddenly I have maybe 1000 pimples covering my buttocks, a bit less on my back, and much less on my front. It's a week later and I still have them. It's as if I have a pimple for each hair that was ripped out. What the hell am I supposed to do about this? I can post pics if needed.

#2 Sky13

Sky13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

It may not be actual acne but razor bumps/burn. Whenever Ive got waxed sometimes I get bumps in every hair follicle its not acne but razor bumps. If you google it have a look if its similar to what yours looks like.

Have you got a wax before? When I first started I would get it really bad but the more I got waxed the less it happened. 

#3 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

Here's a photo of it... I don't think they are razor burns.

*** Note that you can see my bum cheeks, in case you are not comfortable with that ***

http://i.imgur.com/M09ePsy.jpg

It is my first time waxing. I also find it odd that there aren't many pimples down the center of my back, while on the sides there are tons. To add, I've also been showering twice a day for the past few days because I go to the gym. Honestly, I regret waxing now. This is terrible.

Edited by Max_Yeah_True, 10 June 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#4 shizach

shizach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Science
    Technology
    Dermatology
    Chemistry
    Acne
    Apple products

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

Your picture is upsetting. I can understand your frustration.

This looks like a follicular infection.

Over the counter Hibiclens might help.

A short course of antibiotics might be another option.

Keep your skin clean and wear loose fitting clothes if possible.

This should self resolve in time though.

#5 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

That's not acne. It's an infection from the waxing. Here's an interesting thread:

http://www.essential...d.php?tid=11106

Edited by paigems, 10 June 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#6 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Well, I know many of the spots on my shoulders/upper back are acne. But it's just odd having so many on the sides of my lower back and my buttocks. They seem more like bumps than true acne. Who knows... I guess there's really not much I can do other than keep showering twice a day + using soap. I also use gold bond powder on my body afterwards.

I don't think it is folliculitis though. Pretty sure it's closer to acne. Or maybe it's a mix... who knows.

Edited by Max_Yeah_True, 10 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#7 Sky13

Sky13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Hey yeah thats definitely not razor bumps from the looks of it. Firstly if it is an hair follicle infection I would suggest using an antibacterial body wash. When I suffered from a hair follicle infection the doctor told me to use Hibiscrub which is an antibacterial and antifungal skin cleanser. I know this is available where I live in the UK but I dont know about the USA. If not you could use a tea tree wash from the body shop (I currently use this just for its antibacterial properties.)

I would then say to visit your doctor as if it is infected you will require antibiotics to get rid of it. Also I would say to stay clear or waxing and look into other methods of hair removal maybe laser.

Also dont put any acne treating products on it until you have seen a doctor and found out if it is folliculitis or acne. By the looks of it I am prety sure it is folliculitis just because of how the whole area is affected which can happen easily during treatments like waxing.

Edited by Sky13, 10 June 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#8 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

The same thing happened to a guy I know -- first time he ever had his back waxed.  He took antibiotics for 6 months and the condition got worse.  Now he's using anti-fungal treatments and he's getting better, very slowly.

Folliculitis means only that these places (follicles) on your body that are irritated -- it's not a diagnosis of the causative agent.

Myself, I think the wax plugged up the hair follicles and the sweat glands, trapping fluids inside the dermis that are supposed to be on top of the stratum corneum.  That idea probably doesn't solve anything, but perhaps it explains why anti-bacterial products don't do anything.  Still, you can try Hibiclens, an OTC anti-bacterial in the US, and see what happens.  Also try Nizoral 1% shampoo, web order only but an OTC in the US, and see what happens.

#9 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

Well, thanks for the advice everyone. I do sweat more than the average person to be honest. I'm definitely going to the doctor today.

#10 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Sure enough, the doctor diagnosed it as folliculitis :) . She prescribed me some doxycin to take over the next two weeks, as well as corticosteroid lotion. Hopefully it clears up soon! Then in a couple months I'll consider laser :)

#11 Sky13

Sky13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hey thought that would be the case! At least you know now that it isnt a huge acne breakout Im sure that will be a relief and now your treatment will help clear it all up!

#12 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Yup haha. I couldn't even fathom the idea of having so much acne all over again. Very glad. Thanks again everyone.

#13 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

It hasn't improved yet... if anything it has spread a little more onto my upper arms it seems. This is a week later. I guess if it hasn't improved in a few days I'll go see the doctor again.

#14 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Doc put me on tetracycline now. Gonna book an appointment with the dermatologist though.

#15 Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Just got back from the dermatologist. He told me it will probably take 4-6 weeks for the folliculitis to clear with doxycin (twice a day now) and benzaclin at night. And he said the red dots would probably take a few months to go away. Fuck my life.

#16 Fris

Fris

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

OP any updates? Its been almost a month, can you post a new pic?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users