20mg20 mg week log progress accutane isotretinoin microdose micro dose low dose

14 replies to this topic

#1 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

because i see no need for a regular dose of 40mg a day, I have started a micro-dose of one 20mg pill/week. I started about 10 days ago; I wish I could have started this log when I actually began taking accutane but Acne.org was having some issues at the time... I will go back a few days and start this log with my 1 week update which was a few days ago. a little about myself:

I am a 19 year old Caucasian male living in Canada.

skin type: oily, especially around forehead nose and chin

acne: mild, sometimes moderate, lots of tiny whiteheads, and the occasional small inflamed pimple under the skin. only on face, never on body.

20mg per week for the forseeable future until things clear up, which they damn better !!  wish me luck !!  : )

P.S. if you have ever tried a micro-dose like this or are currently on a low dose like me, please share your input. there are no wrong answers

End of week 1: so far no difference. just took my second 20mg pill, will update at the end of week 2.

Edited by Bacardi151Rum, 06 June 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#2 Mandycandy

Mandycandy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Good luck to ya!

#3 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

End of week 2, just took my third 20mg pill

no difference, but my skin has been very good to me the last week. whiteheads still the same, (very small still) but NO inflamed pimples. no reduction in oil yet, but some areas of my face are a little drier than i am used to, only barely noticeable. 

#4 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

End of week 3, just took my 4th 20mg pill. 

no difference, skin might be a tad less oily, but hard to tell. dont want to get anyone's hopes up (mine included) until I am 100% sure I am seeing a difference. at least its not getting worse :) just staying the same or slowly getting better. Still haven't had an inflamed pimple. and it seems like the tiny flesh-colored bumps (small whiteheads?) I get just linger and then go away if i dont pick and squeeze at them and piss them off. an ignored pimple is a happy pimple. will report again at the end of week 4!

#5 willbill

willbill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

End of week 3, just took my 4th 20mg pill. 

no difference, skin might be a tad less oily, but hard to tell. dont want to get anyone's hopes up (mine included) until I am 100% sure I am seeing a difference. at least its not getting worse smile.png just staying the same or slowly getting better. Still haven't had an inflamed pimple. and it seems like the tiny flesh-colored bumps (small whiteheads?) I get just linger and then go away if i dont pick and squeeze at them and piss them off. an ignored pimple is a happy pimple. will report again at the end of week 4!

any update on this? 

#6 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

End of week 4, just took my 5th 20mg pill for this coming week.

So it has been exactly a month since i started this micro dose. Skin is a bit less oily , probably producing about 80% of the oil it was at the beginning. No difference in acne , will post again at end of week 5.

#7 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

End of week 5, just took my 5th 20mg pill.

I can tell my face is producing noticeably less oil than it was before. now my face (mainly forehead) doesnt feel oily until the end of the day. acne has settled down a bit, no inflamed pimples ( never really had trouble with those anyway) but tiny whiteheads and surface texture is maybe 80-90% of what it was at the beginning. the main thing I have noticed is that i have been consuming lots of dairy and junk food over the last week, which usually breaks me out mildly after the first few days, but i have noticed nothing. looks like the accutane overpowers the extra sebum production caused by the intake of these foods (for me). red marks take a while to fade so it can be troubling sometimes, it can make me think my acne is not improving but if i try to ignore the most recent red marks (scars or previous small scabs here and there) i can notice the acne is gradually decreasing.  

will update again at end of week 6

#8 willbill

willbill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

End of week 5, just took my 5th 20mg pill.

I can tell my face is producing noticeably less oil than it was before. now my face (mainly forehead) doesnt feel oily until the end of the day. acne has settled down a bit, no inflamed pimples ( never really had trouble with those anyway) but tiny whiteheads and surface texture is maybe 80-90% of what it was at the beginning. the main thing I have noticed is that i have been consuming lots of dairy and junk food over the last week, which usually breaks me out mildly after the first few days, but i have noticed nothing. looks like the accutane overpowers the extra sebum production caused by the intake of these foods (for me). red marks take a while to fade so it can be troubling sometimes, it can make me think my acne is not improving but if i try to ignore the most recent red marks (scars or previous small scabs here and there) i can notice the acne is gradually decreasing.  

will update again at end of week 6

Very encouraging. Thanks for the update and keep them coming. I started 20mg a week today.

#9 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

End of week 6, just took another 20mg. Noticeably less oil production, no reduction in acne yet. Anybody else have a similar experience? I am wondering why my acne is still a problem when there is much less sebum being produced. Will update at end of week 7

#10 willbill

willbill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

End of week 6, just took another 20mg. Noticeably less oil production, no reduction in acne yet. Anybody else have a similar experience? I am wondering why my acne is still a problem when there is much less sebum being produced. Will update at end of week 7

I've only been doing this about a week so no results to report yet. One question for you though. If you like the results of this regimen, do you plan on doing it for forever? I ask because I'm pretty sure this approach won't produce any last results if you stop taking the pills. I'm not doctor but I don't see much harm in taking 10-20mg a week indefinitely. some people do like 80mg a day for 6 months to a year.   

#11 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

I've only been doing this about a week so no results to report yet. One question for you though. If you like the results of this regimen, do you plan on doing it for forever? I ask because I'm pretty sure this approach won't produce any last results if you stop taking the pills. I'm not doctor but I don't see much harm in taking 10-20mg a week indefinitely. some people do like 80mg a day for 6 months to a year.   

willbill, good question. i have also thought about this.

the reason i wanted to avoid a high dose from scratch was because of the side effects and the initial breakout possibility. If this low dose regimen works, and i become clear or almost clear, at that point i will start increasing my dose until within 3 or 4 months i am taking 40mg a day, then i will take 40mg per day for a few months which, combined with my previous accumulation of low doses, should equal a fairly accurate cumulative dose of the reccommended mg/kg. my body weight dictates I should have a 6 month course of 40mg/day. i will do about 3 months of 40mg per day (if) it is combined with a few months of varying doses of 20mg/week to 20mg per day FIRST. i hope that paints a reasonably clear picture of my plan. my other plan, depending on how things go, is once i am clear to bump up my dose to roughly double what i am on now, so about 40mg per week, then to take 40mg/per week (still a low dose) for 6 months or so, then when i stop taking it, just see what happens. it will be a much smaller cumulative dose, but newer studies show the high doses and the "cumulative dose" theory are not as accurate as they were thought to be in the late 70's when the drug was first discovered. the people who take 10mg per week and are clear at the end of 5 weeks are a testiment to that. 

let me know about your progress, as I hope you are successful as well !!

#12 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

end of week 7. starting this week (week 8) I am moving up to 10mg every other day (35mg/week). i can confirm that my skin is no longer "oily" anymore, it is still slightly oily compared to other people's skin which is matte for the entire day, after a long day mine has a slight sheen only on the forehead, which i can handle. and i know it will get evern better than it is now. acne: NO inflamed pimples except for one very small one maybe once every 1-2 weeks (if i skip a shower ot two and don't eat very well), the only redness on my skin is what is left from picking at previous stuff, and getting all worked up over one or two spots in a certain area and picking at it that they actually turn INTO pimples. if i leave my face alone, i still have about 80% of the tiny flesh colored bumps (whiteheads?) that i used to have, but they dont turn into pimples unless i pick at them. dry skin: some dry skin over healing spots, and alot around the lower sides of nose. but NO dry skin yet around any other area (knock on sebum)  Do i exfoliate around there, or will that just cause more dry skin? its not desert-dry; its more like loose but not dry skin. maybe i shouldn't call it "dry", just dead and visible. still annoying none the less.

SO, satisfaction so far: minor but increasing satisfaction. noticing improvement, still mildly skeptical, considering my experience with "cures" in the past.

will update again at end of week 8 (one week into 10mg every other day {EOD} )

#13 willbill

willbill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

end of week 7. starting this week (week 8) I am moving up to 10mg every other day (35mg/week). i can confirm that my skin is no longer "oily" anymore, it is still slightly oily compared to other people's skin which is matte for the entire day, after a long day mine has a slight sheen only on the forehead, which i can handle. and i know it will get evern better than it is now. acne: NO inflamed pimples except for one very small one maybe once every 1-2 weeks (if i skip a shower ot two and don't eat very well), the only redness on my skin is what is left from picking at previous stuff, and getting all worked up over one or two spots in a certain area and picking at it that they actually turn INTO pimples. if i leave my face alone, i still have about 80% of the tiny flesh colored bumps (whiteheads?) that i used to have, but they dont turn into pimples unless i pick at them. dry skin: some dry skin over healing spots, and alot around the lower sides of nose. but NO dry skin yet around any other area (knock on sebum)  Do i exfoliate around there, or will that just cause more dry skin? its not desert-dry; its more like loose but not dry skin. maybe i shouldn't call it "dry", just dead and visible. still annoying none the less.

SO, satisfaction so far: minor but increasing satisfaction. noticing improvement, still mildly skeptical, considering my experience with "cures" in the past.

Good stuff. Thanks for the update. I'm on week 2 or so of doing 20 mg a week. So far nothing too exiting to report. Although thats what I expected. I hope doing the EOD thing works out for you. I once tried to do 10 mg a day for a little but really did not like the side effects. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

#14 Bacardi151Rum

Bacardi151Rum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

I do'\t know if you are on any skin care regimen or using any chemicals, but I had side effects like dry skin and redness when on 10mg/day, but when I tried the caveman regimen (for me it was a shower once a day, switched to NO chemicals, just water) my face became healthier and I no longer have dryness even with 10mg every other day, switching to 10mg per day for me I believe won't be a problem. using chemicals on your face combined with Accutane's drying properties is a bad mix for side effects. However I am curious, what were your side effects? any difference in acne such as an initial breakout ? that is the only thing I am a little worried about when considering upping my dosage in a little bit. thanks

Good stuff. Thanks for the update. I'm on week 2 or so of doing 20 mg a week. So far nothing too exiting to report. Although thats what I expected. I hope doing the EOD thing works out for you. I once tried to do 10 mg a day for a little but really did not like the side effects. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

#15 willbill

willbill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

I do'\t know if you are on any skin care regimen or using any chemicals, but I had side effects like dry skin and redness when on 10mg/day, but when I tried the caveman regimen (for me it was a shower once a day, switched to NO chemicals, just water) my face became healthier and I no longer have dryness even with 10mg every other day, switching to 10mg per day for me I believe won't be a problem. using chemicals on your face combined with Accutane's drying properties is a bad mix for side effects. However I am curious, what were your side effects? any difference in acne such as an initial breakout ? that is the only thing I am a little worried about when considering upping my dosage in a little bit. thanks

My side effects were dry skin, lots of redness, and sun sensitivity. Pretty much the standard accutane side effects. I didn't have an initial outbreak. I may be wrong, but I think IB is usually minimal when doing a low dose. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users