Photo

Accutane: Let's Do This (40 Mg/day Claravis)

accutane log journal moderate acne

130 replies to this topic

#121 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

DawgDaze: posts like yours are why I am on these forums. Thanks for the encouragement. Your down-to-earth optimism really made my day.

I can't remember, are you doing anything for maintenance? I have an appointment with my derm in two weeks and I'm wondering if he will prescribe a retinoid or BP or nothing at all. Not sure, but I feel like doing nothing may be like waiting for disaster to strike.

#122 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

Doc suggests a topical retinoid. Which would be Tazorac, since I filled my last script for it before my new insurance hit (it doesn't cover prescriptions). Script is always for two tubes, so I should use that since I have it. She doesn't believe there is much difference between how Retin A and Tazorac work, either for anti-aging or to keep acne at bay. But she wants me to wait 4-6 weeks before slowly introducing it back onto my skin.

I can start with BP at any time, but I still feel too irritated to do so all over my face. The only thing remaining on my face are these two really tiny lil cloggers on the front of my chin. I can't tell if they're breakouts or scar tissue. Am putting BP on those, will have her check them at our two-month check up.

Anyway, I think maintenance is always part of the follow up treatment, so I'm sure your doc will prescribe/advise something. My first go round I think I was on BP for a couple years until I just finally quit using it, I wasn't breaking out.

Let us know!

Edited by DawgDaze64, 05 December 2014 - 08:24 AM.

My regimen:

Mornings:
CeraVe Foaming Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Oily/Combination Skin (no alcohol, tons of antioxidants)

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Serum

CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion 30 SPF for Normal to Dry Skin

Amnesteem 40mg daily, 6-month course started June 30, 2014

Evenings:
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Oily/Combination Skin (no alcohol, tons of antioxidants)
CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin

Make-Up (on the days I have to wear it for business, etc.):
Estee Lauder Double Wear or Almay TLC 16 hour foundation

#123 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

I used retin a micro and differin long term (at seperate times) and then tried to use Tazorac for about a month. Compared to the other two which I never got irritated from it felt like it was putting acid on my skin. It would literally turn bright red and burn and peel off. Maybe my skin just couldn't deal with Taz but in my opinion it was leaps stronger than the other two retinoids. Right before accutane and occasionally during I have used Finacea. It's azelaic acid and I found that it has a little more in the anti-inflammatory department but doesn't destroy your skin like BP and still exfoliates like a retinoid but is milder.

I'm hoping very little maintenance will be required post tane though. Here's to hoping!

PM - Clean face with water and cotton rounds. Spot treat with Finacea.
AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer
30mg Absorbica for 8 months

#124 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Lifeinfaith: thanks for the input. I only ever used Differin, and I noticed pretty much no irritation while on that. I both would love to not have a lot of maintenance, and would also love to make sure the acne doesn't return, so I'm of two minds when it comes to post-tane skin care. I'll discuss with the derm on Thursday and see what he has to say. I personally hope he is for using a retinoid. It would be much easier to have a derm prescribe a retinoid and decide I don't want to use it than not have him prescribe it and not have a choice. We shall see.

Everything holding up well on the low-ish dose course? And DawgDaze, you out there? How's post-tane life treating you?

#125 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yup, still here. Just posted an update on my log. Basically, still clear, with the exception of two tiny whiteheads that came and went in a flash last week. Hope you're doing well. Still achy? I am, and it's really frustrating!

My regimen:

Mornings:

Evenings:

#126 kimber607

kimber607

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

Jumpin  in again

I found finacea drying

Right now on tane im spotting with bp ...def makes area read

wondering if I should give finacea a try...

kim

#127 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hey DawgDaze,

I'm almost 2.5 weeks off accutane. Yeah, still achey. My left knee has been hurting after runs lately, and I think it is just residual achiness from the accutane. I've also had nasty headaches, but my eyes haven't been as dry and I'm only using aquafor/blistex once or twice a day.

As for skin condition, it's tentatively good....I'm not sure. Oil is slowly making a come back, I'm noticing the texture just isn't that silky smooth that it was while I was on the meds, and I've been getting tiny red bumps. I can't call them zits because there is nothing in them, they don't pop, and they are microscopic. I think they might have to do with irritation from the cold air combined with dry skin and changing texture. I noticed one or two while I was on the meds, but feel as though I've noticed more and more as I've been off the meds. Hoping it's just the skin regulating itself and getting back to normal. Again, they are so tiny and not zits, I'm just really worried about the acne returning. I'm going back to the derm tomorrow just for a post-tane check in, but I'm really hoping he prescribes something like Differin. I don't want to sit by and passively watch my skin condition deteriorate. However, as of now, I can still say I have been clear since coming off accutane. If I can say the same at the one month mark, I will feel a little more at ease.

One win so far: I think today I can say definitively that the facial sweating has calmed down A LITTLE. Before I was working up a sweat with truly any form of exertion, no matter how minimal. It's still not great, but it's definitely a little reduced. I suspect that it had to do with the lack of oil insulating the pores? Idk, I'm not a derm, but that's my suspicion. Maybe if it continues to calm down it will be more manageable for next summer? Hopefully!

#128 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Low dose is going...at the end of December I will have 2 months left on my 150mg cumulative dose!

I wash my hair about twice a week now because I have very little oil. Chspstick all day long. In the past month or two I have noticed increased sweating at the gym. I barely exert myself and I'm dripping sweat. It's weird - I have never been a sweater. I occasionally have some soreness if I work out hard or sit in an awkward position too long - but this could be the fact that im almost 30 now too lol.

I have had the bumps I think you're talking about in the latter months of accutane. Tiny, you can barely see them, nothing in them. For me they appear then kind of flake awsy in about a week. I don't really worry about them, I think its just natural skin things with accutane effects.

My dad told me the other day that when he took accutane in his late 20s, the oil came back pretty much right after but he was totally acne free for 10 years after. That's comforting. Maybe in 10 years we'll do another dose, they'll have developed something new or we'll have grown out of it.

PM - Clean face with water and cotton rounds. Spot treat with Finacea.
AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer
30mg Absorbica for 8 months

#129 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Life in Faith, that was me: I did a course at age 25 and was fully clear—not so much as a tiny blackhead—for 15 years. Since there tends to be a genetic component to acne, there is a high possibility your dad's experience will also be yours: i.e., a long term remission. Congrats on nearly being finished!

Break It Out: I'd give anything for that 'Tane Glow to last a lifetime, LOL. It's wonderful . . .

My regimen:

Mornings:

Evenings:

#130 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Lifeinfaith: the bumps are annoying but it's all about perspective--they aren't acne and I need to leave them alone or else I wind up clawing at nothing on my skin. Glad to know someone else is experiencing them (even if I wish neither of us were).

DawgDaze: my "glow" was more of a bright red, so I'm actually grateful to have my natural skin tone back. Unfortunately I do think it makes one or two of the shallow scars on my left cheek more prominent. I just miss the smooth, paper-like skin I had on tane. No real zits right now but the texture just isn't the same. Oh well--if it stays as is, I'll be alright with that.

I had a derm appointment today. Can't believe I paid $85 out of pocket to have the derm say "your skin looks great, I'm not going to prescribe anything right now because it will just irritate your skin in the winter. If you notice frequent deep zits, we can try something." I don't think he quite realized that I'm trying to avoid getting to that point again, but oh well. I'm also moving back to Minneapolis in a few weeks, so I will be back at the old derm if anything goes wrong. I think I may make an appointment for about 4 weeks from now anyway just to see if I can get on a retinoid. I don't want to sit and wait for my skin to go bad. But I do think there is some truth to the "it will just irritate your skin" argument. I don't know. Being on accutane was kind of easier than all this. That said, I am loving that the side effects are fading away. I feel just a little more "on my game." Hard to explain, but I think you all know what I'm talking about.

#131 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 08:16 AM

Hah! My dermo said something similar to me. When she suggested we stop at 5 months and not go into a 6th (because of my hair shedding and all around craptacular side effects), I said, "What if the acne comes back?" She said, "We'll deal with that if we get to it, but if you get a cyst, just come in and I'll inject it."

No, lady. You don't understand. I didn't go through all this to basically be back where I started AND pay nearly $100 an office visit for you to "just inject" the occasional cyst. First of all, we all know that for people with true-blue acne, there is no such thing as an "occasional" cyst. Yeah, I have friends who get a cyst once every year or so, freak out like the world is ending, and stop everything in their lives to run to the doc for cortisone. But otherwise their skin is glorious. That's NOT acne. That's an anomaly. And that's not me. Secondly, who the hell wants to interrupt their day with a frantic phone call to the dermo, wait on hold to see when they can fit you in, run over there, plunk down $100, and then wait and see if that did the trick—not just once a year, but once a month or every couple months? Furthermore, injections don't always speed the healing process and they don't often prevent scarring. So to me, that's not "maintenance."

So, yeah, give me something to maintain! That means a retinoid, BP, or some other topical with proven efficacy in keeping the pores clear to prevent the really nasty stuff from popping up.

By the way, I'm using Tazorac very very sparingly. Just dabbing in a very light amount over my traditional trouble spots (sides of chin below mouth) and so far, no irritation. If you can't get a 'script for anything, go to the drugstore and get some BP and use it very very lightly.

My regimen:

Mornings:

Evenings:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users