Photo

Accutane: Let's Do This (40 Mg/day Claravis)

accutane log journal moderate acne

107 replies to this topic

#101 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hey everyone! Update time: had my last derm appointment last night and got a prescription for 45 pills! This should take me through Nov. 17 or so and then I'm done! Woohoo! That means I'll have taken 10,800 mg of Accutane, putting my cumulative dose between 150-160 mg/kg. the derm said that since I was only moderate to begin with (although that's my self-diagnosis, as he never saw me to begin with) and I reached the turning point around the two month mark, I have less than a 30 percent chance of relapsing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Side effects: headaches, joint pains (especially after running), fatigue, dry lips, dry eyes, dry nose, increased anger and anxiety (but no depression, and I can't guarantee this is due to accutane although I'm fairly confident it is), eczema on my upper body/neck, red face, some hair loss though that seems to have gone away. And I've also experienced an increase in cholesterol but it was so low to begin with it kind of doesn't matter. Jumped from 111 to 141. Certainly not anything to be alarmed about but something I should probably watch in the future to make sure it was accutane related and not happening naturally.

And the most annoying side effect: increased sweating. Ok, so I don't know if this is a side effect, but I hate it. I'm not sure if this is accutane or the fact that I moved from Minneapolis to a swampy climate, but yikes, it is super embarrassing. Really hoping it calms down once I'm off the tane, but then winter will be starting so I won't exactly know...

So with that, 31 more days! Let the countdown begin!

#102 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

Terrific news! Four more weeks is a piece of cake—I'm thrilled for you!

Remind me: Were you on 40mg the entire time?

Edited by DawgDaze64, 17 October 2014 - 07:07 AM.

My regimen:

Mornings:
CeraVe Foaming Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Oily/Combination Skin (no alcohol, tons of antioxidants)

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Serum

CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion 30 SPF for Normal to Dry Skin

Amnesteem 40mg daily, 6-month course started June 30, 2014

Evenings:
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Oily/Combination Skin (no alcohol, tons of antioxidants)
CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin

Make-Up (on the days I have to wear it for business, etc.):
Estee Lauder Double Wear or Almay TLC 16 hour foundation

#103 Guest_GetMeTheResults_*

Guest_GetMeTheResults_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

Congrats!!!

How did you calculate your chance of relapse?

#104 hamdinger

hamdinger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hey! I'm happy that Claravis worked for you and that you're almost out of the woods.

I know I am totally late to the game, but I wanted to say that I also got a huge cyst leading up to the GRE. It stuck around for two.damn.years. I dunno about where you took it, but we had to have a picture taken at the testing center (for identity fraud?) and that cyst was on center stage in that photo. Nothing like a big scary grad school test to make your skin freaque out. 

Also, I read something on this forum recently about people sweating from Accutane. It was mostly facial sweating I think. Is that where yours is? Is it related to stress/any factors in your life? I am about to start Accutane, and I eat a ton of onions and garlic (yuuuuumm.) My sweat smells of these lovely aromatics, and it is hard enough already to keep myself from smelling like a delicious Italian treat. (Which, IRL, translates to a stinky chick.)

#105 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

DawgDaze: I was on 40 mg for two weeks, and alternated 40/80 from that point on. I know, the log title is misleading as I haven't been on Claravis (was on amnesteem) nor was I really on 40 mg/day.

GetMeTheResults: I'm not sure how he calculated the relapse odds. He asked me my initial condition and said "moderate", and he asked when I saw a turning point and I can say without a doubt that was at the 60 day mark. That's when I remember I had a horrible breakout leading up to the end of month two, then it's like the real pimples just stopped. I've certainly had small things pop up since then but that was the end of the constant, new pimple every few days stage. Because of this he said I had a pretty normal course, so I'm assuming he just gave me a normal relapse rate (less than 30 percent). I'm not sure there was an exact science to it.

Hamdinger: ugh I had almost forgotten about that picture. Hopefully that won't be circulated ever...as for sweating, yes, to everything. Mostly facial sweating and absolutely related to increased stress in my life. New job, new city, new coworkers, it's brutal. I also think it could be partially related to the photosensitivity, as I was in a cab on Friday, 70 degrees with the windows cracked and as soon as the morning sun was concentrated on my I was getting really hot and my face just felt like it was burning up. Really annoying. I'm just hoping it goes away after I am off the tane.

Edited by BreakItOutNow, 19 October 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#106 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 04:53 AM

Ugh, I have been in a three-day battle trying to get my prescription. My doc says they have sent it four times, my pharmacist says they haven't received it, and both claim it isn't their fault. I'm amazed at how ineffective the medical system is. Really, shouldn't we have a better system in place? Why does the burden fall on the patient--who is now taking a morning off my low-paying job--to sort this out? Going to try to pick up a paper Rx today but seriously, what the hell!? Getting a prescription to the pharmacy should not be this difficult. It's not like this is a trivial issue like my hot tub is broken or something. Doesn't help that the pharmacy doesn't answer their phone. This already-frustrating situation feels magnified by all the crap going on in my life and the tane, I nearly lost it last night at the pharmacist. Proud of me for keeping it together but one more "sorry we don't have anything, check with your doctor" and I may punch someone. And I am not ever a violent person.

So, day 2 of no tane.

#107 BreakItOutNow

BreakItOutNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 04:34 AM

Hitting roadblock after roadblock here. Finally got a written prescription from my derm yesterday morning, only to find out that two pharmacies are out and the one that has it says iPledge won't let them enter 45 pills (they say I need to go to my derm again and get a prescription for either 30 or 60 pills). Day three no tane, and at this point I can't imagine I will have it tomorrow either. I almost lost it in CVS last night.

#108 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 01:29 PM

ugh. I can't believe the troubles people have with this drug. Cigarettes, booze, sodas—all a greater risk to our health, yet we can purchase THOSE at will. I'm sorry. This should be between a doctor and a patient. A doctor prescribes, a pharmacy fills. No middle man should be involved to muck things up.

I'm bumping up tomorrow (hopefully) and (hopefully) my pharmacy won't have a problem with that. I'm expecting a headache, though, because that's just how it goes on the 'tane.

Good luck!

My regimen:

Mornings:

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Serum

CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion 30 SPF for Normal to Dry Skin

Amnesteem 40mg daily, 6-month course started June 30, 2014

Evenings:
CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin

Make-Up (on the days I have to wear it for business, etc.):
Estee Lauder Double Wear or Almay TLC 16 hour foundation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users