28 replies to this topic

#21 RoseOrALilly

RoseOrALilly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Thanks guys for all your comments! 

I have been feeling very down about my skin the past few days.  

Sometimes I honestly believe I will never be happy again. Like never truly happy.

Its been about 2 months since I noticed my scarring (it all appeared at once!) and I have been thinking about it 24/7 since. Its the last thing I think about before I go to sleep the literally the first thing I think of when I wake up. And these days I love sleep so much because its the only time I can escape this.  

It scares me to think I might always be this way or that I may never be happy and carefree again. That may sound dramatic but I am sure some people would understand. 

It does help to read comments I think. Especially from you, blahblah82, when you said my scarring was very very minor. Most days I think its the only thing people see when they look at me.

Its so mentally draining. But thanks everyone.

#22 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

you sound exactly like me last year i never thought i would be happy again but thanks to spiro and keflex (as well as using a glycolic acid toner)  i got clear and have remained clear. its been about 16 months too so please look into the spiro. you will not regret it and you can go on living your life and be happy again. the scarring sucks i can tell you that but being clear just makes it so much easier to deal with and from the pics you posted your scarring doesnt look severe yet so i would get the spiro ASAP. good luck and keep you chin up things will get better.

Edited by tracy521, 03 June 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#23 RoseOrALilly

RoseOrALilly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

you sound exactly like me last year i never thought i would be happy again but thanks to spiro and keflex (as well as using a glycolic acid toner)  i got clear and have remained clear. its been about 16 months too so please look into the spiro. you will not regret it and you can go on living your life and be happy again. the scarring sucks i can tell you that but being clear just makes it so much easier to deal with and from the pics you posted your scarring doesnt look severe yet so i would get the spiro ASAP. good luck and keep you chin up things will get better.

Thanks for your reply. 

What makes me so angry with myself is that I never sought professional help earlier. My skin was bad but I just covered it up with make-up and sort of lived with it. My family were the only people to see me without make-up.

I did go to my doctor to get blood tests. But they were all fine. She basically said go on the pill or take anti-biotics. I didn't want to do either. Wish now that I had have because I would be clear by now with no scarring. So so much regret its basically eating me alive!

I should have realised it was a serious problem earlier.

I didn't know anything about scarring so I thought that when my acne finally cleared I would look normal again.

Its weird that my scarring is from where the inflammation/redness was, rather than the actual spot. And I never had the big cysts that most people with scarring had. But I did have a lot of redness that lasted a long time so that was probably the cause. As a result, my scarring is very shallow, like I can't feel it when I touch my skin but it has caused what looks like a bit of loss of volume in some places on my cheeks when I am under harsh lighting.

I still hope more than anything that my skin will just fix itself. When the rest of the redness clears it'll just heal...    

#24 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

i know that feeling of regret and being angry i was there myself and still struggle with it but just know that things will get better. if i had taken spiro when my derm suggested it a few years ago i wouldnt have say 90% of the scarring that i do now so i totally get how you feel.

my blood work was always totally fine ( i had it tested 3 times) but my acne was totally hormonal so sometimes it just doesnt show up in testing but if i were going to go on anything and i was you it would be spiro with a good antibiotic (something you havent been on before) and go from there. 

once the redness subsides your skin will look a lot better i can assure you of that. my skin was so red and inflamed last year but its much better now. just try to be positive that everything will work out but dont be afraid to try new meds and stuff because if you dont get things under control now you will be even more upset if you end up with more scarring. 

sending hugs your way!

Edited by tracy521, 04 June 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#25 RoseOrALilly

RoseOrALilly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

i know that feeling of regret and being angry i was there myself and still struggle with it but just know that things will get better. if i had taken spiro when my derm suggested it a few years ago i wouldnt have say 90% of the scarring that i do now so i totally get how you feel.

my blood work was always totally fine ( i had it tested 3 times) but my acne was totally hormonal so sometimes it just doesnt show up in testing but if i were going to go on anything and i was you it would be spiro with a good antibiotic (something you havent been on before) and go from there. 

once the redness subsides your skin will look a lot better i can assure you of that. my skin was so red and inflamed last year but its much better now. just try to be positive that everything will work out but dont be afraid to try new meds and stuff because if you dont get things under control now you will be even more upset if you end up with more scarring. 

sending hugs your way!

Thankyou for this. 

Another thing that sucks is that no one else in my family has or has had bad skin, like nothing beyond the normal mild teenage acne. My parents skin is totally normal for their age. Grrrr...I don't want to be the one at family gatherings with the bad skin.

Are you doing anything for your scarring? What type of scarring how you got?  

Also, with Spiro, how long did it take to work? (I'm not breaking out much now, mostly just period related)

Did you get an initial breakout? And how bad was that/how long did it last?

Are you still taking it? If not, how long were you on it for?  

#26 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

you are welcome! i just want you to have hope that things will workout because last year i didnt have that hope and just wanted to die it was an awful feeling.

omg you and i are have way too much in common nobody in my family has or ever had acne either its totally nuts. like everybody in my family only uses soap on their skin and they never exfoliate and they have the most beautiful poreless skin whereas me i have huge pores. its so odd its like somehow i got all the acne, bad allergies and vision that nobody else in my immediate or extended family has. it really does make it hard but just remember they love you and care about you.

i unfortunately got indented scarring and raised scarring and have melasma as well. i have done many treatments such as chemical peels, ipl's, microlaser peel, co2 laser etc. if all i had was indented scarring i would probably do a series of 5-6 microlaser peels over the course of a year or two and see where that gets me. i like that you heal from those pretty quick like around 5-6 days even though you look like a burn vicitim for that time and cant leave your house. a good series of TCA peels could help too i like the TCA peels the best so once you are clear if you are scared of laser try those first and see where it gets you.

i did co2 laser for my raised scars but it didnt do that much so i am thinking of having dermabrasion just for those scars on the chin area in a few months. the laser only goes so deep but with the dermabrasion it is a much more tailored procedure and its good for raised scars so that is the last thing i am going to do.

i do love the IPLs for red and brown spots and broken caps because it just works so fast and its so easy. i started doing them years ago like probably 8 or so because that is when i started getting red marks but i also have brown spots from the sun too and found it worked so well for that as well. for the red marks you would need at least 3 treatments to get rid of them but if you have somebody that does many passes on each spot you can get excellent results quicker. i would only do these treatments though once you are totally clear though.

with spiro it usually takes between 3-6 months to fully kick in and even up to 9 in some people but its hard to say for me because i was breaking out really bad beforehand but if i had taken it with keflex when i started i dont think i would have had any sort of initial breakout. once i started the keflex i cleared up immediately in like 5 days it was a miracle for me. i started spiro dec of 2012 and took keflex (started that in february) for a long time for like 10 months because i was doing laser work and stuff so i just stayed on it (most times they give you antibiotics to take for say 5-7 days with laser to avoid any sort of infection) and then weaned myself off in february of 2014 and everything has great since. if you were going on spiro i would say take the antibiotics for 6 months just to be safe and then slowly wean off from them.

i am still taking spiro and will probably continue taking it forever but i might eventually in a few years see about dropping the dose down to 50mg. i am on 100mg a day now. if you have any other questions let me know. i am always here for you.

Edited by tracy521, 05 June 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#27 RoseOrALilly

RoseOrALilly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

you are welcome! i just want you to have hope that things will workout because last year i didnt have that hope and just wanted to die it was an awful feeling.

omg you and i are have way too much in common nobody in my family has or ever had acne either its totally nuts. like everybody in my family only uses soap on their skin and they never exfoliate and they have the most beautiful poreless skin whereas me i have huge pores. its so odd its like somehow i got all the acne, bad allergies and vision that nobody else in my immediate or extended family has. it really does make it hard but just remember they love you and care about you.

i unfortunately got indented scarring and raised scarring and have melasma as well. i have done many treatments such as chemical peels, ipl's, microlaser peel, co2 laser etc. if all i had was indented scarring i would probably do a series of 5-6 microlaser peels over the course of a year or two and see where that gets me. i like that you heal from those pretty quick like around 5-6 days even though you look like a burn vicitim for that time and cant leave your house. a good series of TCA peels could help too i like the TCA peels the best so once you are clear if you are scared of laser try those first and see where it gets you.

i did co2 laser for my raised scars but it didnt do that much so i am thinking of having dermabrasion just for those scars on the chin area in a few months. the laser only goes so deep but with the dermabrasion it is a much more tailored procedure and its good for raised scars so that is the last thing i am going to do.

i do love the IPLs for red and brown spots and broken caps because it just works so fast and its so easy. i started doing them years ago like probably 8 or so because that is when i started getting red marks but i also have brown spots from the sun too and found it worked so well for that as well. for the red marks you would need at least 3 treatments to get rid of them but if you have somebody that does many passes on each spot you can get excellent results quicker. i would only do these treatments though once you are totally clear though.

with spiro it usually takes between 3-6 months to fully kick in and even up to 9 in some people but its hard to say for me because i was breaking out really bad beforehand but if i had taken it with keflex when i started i dont think i would have had any sort of initial breakout. once i started the keflex i cleared up immediately in like 5 days it was a miracle for me. i started spiro dec of 2012 and took keflex (started that in february) for a long time for like 10 months because i was doing laser work and stuff so i just stayed on it (most times they give you antibiotics to take for say 5-7 days with laser to avoid any sort of infection) and then weaned myself off in february of 2014 and everything has great since. if you were going on spiro i would say take the antibiotics for 6 months just to be safe and then slowly wean off from them.

i am still taking spiro and will probably continue taking it forever but i might eventually in a few years see about dropping the dose down to 50mg. i am on 100mg a day now. if you have any other questions let me know. i am always here for you.

Thank you for sticking around and answering my questions. It feels good to know that someone understands how I feel and what I am going through. 

It has been so tough the past couple of months. The scarring makes me feel worse than the acne! Because I know acne goes away!! But scarring is much more difficult. 

But I do believe that it is possible to heal scars to the point that they're not noticeable to most people. I just have to find treatments that work for me.

I don't think my scarring is deep but it is quite extensive, as you can see from my pictures, it covers most of my cheeks.

I have a feeling that my skin will look a lot better once I am no longer getting acne because that just makes the skin texture look worse. And I think once the redness and PIH is gone (I'll certainly look into IPL lasers thanks :) ) it'll look better again.

Also, I'm not sure what scarring type I actually have! Sometimes I think its just really shitty texture (with a few deeper spots) and I just need to scrape the top layer of skin off!

I have a doctors appointment in less than 2 weeks. I have waited a month. She is meant to be very good. So I am hoping she will be able to help. I will ask about a possible spiro/antibiotics combo. I will also get a referral from her to see a good derm. I'll get a professional analysis of my skin and go from there. Hopefully my skin situation isn't as bad as I feel it is.

Do you know what else is shit?! Some days I feel quite good, never 100% (I haven't been there in a while), but quite positive, quite sure that I can fix this. But then other days I just get so full of negative. I just constantly remember that I could have prevented this and blah blah blah! 

Also, some days I wonder if my scarring is that noticeable to others. I have never spoken about it to anyone, no family or friends, just my psychologist. I don't want to mention it because I think it'll draw their eye to it. 

Anyway, I try to stay positive because I'm going to need to be a positive little fighter over the next few years to get through this. 

Thanks for your support. Its really nice of you and I do truly appreciate it. 

#28 iamlenlen

iamlenlen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

Hi guys. I have this indented scar on my nose. I attached a pic but my phone cam is not that good to focus on the scar, but in person it is big and deep. Any suggestions? I am more on natural methods please. Oh and anyways would it help if i massage rosehip oil on my deep scar? Thank you. i attached some pics here. :) hoping for your help guys. :)

#29 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

keep me updated on how it goes with the derm and just know that things will get better in time and that you are not alone. i have my good days and bad days too i just try to not let it get me down too much. i find the best way for that is just to keep myself so busy that i dont have much time to think but summer is a tough one with all the outdoor activities. there is no hiding the scars it doesnt matter how much makeup i cake on but we all just need to remember its not nearly as bad to others as it is to us. most people pay like no attention at all so just try to hang in there and once the acne is gone and you start treating the red marks you will feel a lot better about things. it's good to talk about how you feel with others though because holding it in is not good either ya know? it gets to be too much and you will realize that a lot of people really do care about you.

i am always here if you need to chat too because i know for myself its nice to talk to others that have been through the same thing. i have met a lot of amazing people on this site i just hope that one day i can meet them in person or they decide to move to Pittsburgh -ha!

take care of yourself and go do something fun!

Edited by tracy521, 11 June 2014 - 02:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users