5 replies to this topic

#1 TaylorE

TaylorE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hello,

I have been on spironolactone (100 mg) for three months now. While I have not noticed a drastic improvement in my skin, I have noticed a subtle improvement and have been told to be patient with the results. Recently I have thought about discontinuing Spironolactone treatment due to irregular bleeding. I cannot be on hormonal birth control (the pill, etc.) as I am sensitive to migraines, therefore I am unable to regulate my periods this way. The past two months I have had my period twice per month, each time with a period of about week. I feel like I am bleeding more often than not. Last month my doctor gave me a 10-day course of progesterone treatment to stop the irregular bleeding, however it only worked for a short period of time before the bleeding returned.

Should I stop the Spironolactone treatment? Should I lower the dosage? (My doctor does not think a lower dosage will help, but you never know.) Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

#2 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

I had two periods a month for a while on spiro and then eventually my body adjusted and i only get one period a month now. it took quite a while to regulate though and i think its a pretty common thing. i would not lower the dosage either (i take 100mg as well) just give it time.

Edited by tracy521, 14 May 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#3 TaylorE

TaylorE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback. How many months did it take you to regulate? The main problem for me is persistent bleeding. Right now I am on day 10 without any sign of stopping. This is my primary concern and the main factor in why I am considering discontinuing the treatment.

#4 maital

maital

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

You are not a lone, I am having a very similar problem!

I have also been on spironolactone (100 mg) for a almost two months now. I have noticed drastic improvement in my skin (stopped taking an antibiotic for my skin when starting spironolacone), I have also noticed improvement with my hair growth, lost 5lb water weight and feel great on it. Except for i have not stopped spotting since i started. I cannot be on a hormonal birth control so we decided to put a coper IUD. I am also recently having thoughts about discontinuing Spironolactone treatment due to irregular bleeding or possibly lowering my dose.Before this i had no period for about 10 months. I have also started a new relationship which is going well except for the irregularity, he is great and patient but i have a great weekend planned  ahead and not sure what to do to stop the bleeding! Do i jsut take half the pill today will that work?  My doctor says he will stop it if i want and put me on yaz but id rather not take that option, any advise?? Should I stop the Spironolactone treatment? Should I lower the dosage or stay on it?  Does anyone have any advise with this? very frustrating and confusing!

Thanks.

#5 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

i think it took at least 6 months or so. sometimes i still get later periods but i no longer get 2 a month. it was so awful. i usually get my periods for 7 days at a time so it really sucked but i think in time your body should adjust. what did the doc say? are they concerned? when you started the spiro did you take the entire 100mg from the beginning? i started at 25 and worked my way up to 100mg. 

Edited by tracy521, 16 May 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Google "cycling spironolactone". Some people need to take spiro in a way that fits with their menstrual cycle to avoid the regulation problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users