Photo

Can you be tested for gluten intolerance?

gluten

1 reply to this topic

#1 JamesB

JamesB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

Hi guys

Just wondering if you can go to your doctor to be tested for gluten intolerance?...

It'd be nice to be able to point to one particular thing that causes acne.....

Thanks

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2004 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(JamesB @ Oct 28 2004, 01:21 PM)
Hi guys

Just wondering if you can go to your doctor to be tested for gluten intolerance?...

It'd be nice to be able to point to one particular thing that causes acne.....

Thanks

View Post

Yup, you most definately can. However I contacted a company that does intolerance tests and they said I didn't sound like a good candidate. When I got my results back from my doctor, while I had a few antibodies associated with gluten intolerance, it wasn't "enough" to be declared Gluten Intolerant or a Celiac!

Regardless, myself and others have have avoided gluten/wheat and it works for us, but that wasn't neccessarily the only food we had to avoid. So it seems, that those tests aren't specific enough right now to detect say gluten intolerance in terms of who will develop acne or get Type II Diabetes, even though it has been found that a % are.

The tests to determine Insulin Resistance isn't specific enough yet either, as a wide variety of diseases are being attributed to Insulin Resistance Syndrome/ Metabolic Syndrome.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users