Photo

Will Spironolactone Clear Acne Without Birth Control?

spironolactone birth control

6 replies to this topic

#1 memar8

memar8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I was prescribed Spironolactone last week. So far my acne has gotten worse, but im hoping its just an initial breakout and will clear soon! I've been reading a lot on how awesome spiro is, but it seems like most women take birth control with it. I'm not on birth control, so I was wondering about the effectiveness of spiro for clearing acne on its own. I know my derm has no problem prescribing it to me while im not on birth control, but will it still work as well?

#2 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

You'll be fine without birth control. The birth control is used primarily because spironolactone can cause irregular periods.

#3 memar8

memar8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

thanks :) are you on spiro? I just started last week and have had the worst initial breakout. Im trying to stick with it but am feeling so frustrated :(

#4 Renewal89

Renewal89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

thanks smile.png are you on spiro? I just started last week and have had the worst initial breakout. Im trying to stick with it but am feeling so frustrated sad.png

i started on spiro for about 10 days and having my worst IB too

The only different is i am a guy..

Really hope this will work..

It makes me feel so depressed

good luck to you!

#5 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

thanks smile.png are you on spiro? I just started last week and have had the worst initial breakout. Im trying to stick with it but am feeling so frustrated sad.png

I'm on Accutane and Spiro. When I started Spiro I did have an initial breakout. I got 1-2 new pimples a day when I first started it. It took about three months for the medication to start working. It's a rough ride in the beginning, but it's a good medication if you can stick with it.

#6 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

i was breaking out before spiro but on the spiro it seemed that every clogged pore i had turned into a nasty cyst. i was on antibiotics at the time so i got off of them because they stopped working and went about a good 6 weeks until i couldnt take it anymore and asked for keflex. i stopped getting cysts 5 days after starting the keflex. i stayed on it for a good while though like 10 months which is probably way longer than i needed to but i was having laser work done and they make you take antibiotics before and after so i just figured it was easier to stay on them. its been 16 months since on spiro though and my face has been super clear. i just wish i started taking it a few years ago before i got more scarring and that i started the keflex with the spiro too. i could have avoided so many breakouts that way. i would recommend using AHA as well everyday to help keep the pores clear. 

Edited by tracy521, 01 May 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#7 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

I've been on Spiro for three years and just started BC last month. My periods were a little irregular, but it really has treated my acne well and continues to do so. I'm currently on 100mg. My acne isn't perfect still, but much more manageable. it's probably 80-90% better than it was three years ago. It took about 4-6 weeks to see any noticeable improvements for me. I did notice my skin was less oily after about 2-3 weeks. I still got some cysts for the first 2 months or so, so do not give up yet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users