Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

55 posts in this topic

It turns out I have read almost all of those links you gave WishClean. I read the two that I hadn't previously, the Dermato Endocrinology from 2009 and the EiR one. My thoughts:

Dermato Endocrinology: They came to the same conclusions I have...that more research is still required. The last sentence of their article states, "To date, the research does not prove that diet causes acne but rather influences it to some degree which is still difficult to quantify." Still, I had fun reading it and learned a few new things.

EiR one: They list "Symptoms of Food and Environmental Sensitivity" and include literally everything I can think of. This is a good example of something I would call "unproven." If symptoms of leaky gut and its ensuing sensitivity can include about 75 things (I counted) which encompass pretty much anything anyone can experience, that's a red flag for me. This is also written by one person, a PhD/Critical Care Nurse, and is published in The Environmental Illness Resource, which I do not believe is peer reviewed in any way. Still, I found it interesting to learn about the intestinal lining.

Yes, these studies are tentative, but it's the only clinical evidence we have at this point due to lack of interest on this topic in the medical community. As I said those studies are small scale....it takes a lot of money and resources to actually conduct large-scale studies, but at least these provide some starting points. Also, even with large scale studies on "proven" remedies, there are questionable variants and external factors that are not accounted for. There's really no perfect model for a research paper on these things.

About anti-inflammatory diets, I have to say that I followed some of the guidelines for those, and I also tried other popular diets like the candida diet. It turns out that my issue was different and the person who helped me was an allergist, not a dermatologist. The allergist told me I had high histamines in my blood possibly due to gut issues/ IBS...so I began doing a low histamine diet and taking digestive enzymes and most of the inflammation was gone rapidly. Plus, I had less flare ups because I realized that some of my acne was actually resembling welts, which is why dermatologists couldn't properly identify it.

So diet really depends on each person. I was following the wrong diet for me, and I'm sure other people who get frustrated with the "diet approach" just haven't found a tailor-made diet to suit their nutritional needs.

The problem with so-called alternative methods to treat acne is that they are impossible to mass market...how can you mass produce and mass sell something that should be customizable for every patient? It's impossible. Even supplements that are herbal blends usually don't work on everyone because it's hard to get the right mix and the right % of each ingredient to work for everyone's body.

But anyway, the point is, I think that home remedies and nutrition/supplements can be put in 2 separate categories to distinguish between the 2. Home remedies are topicals, nutrition and supplements are internal.

It's great though that you keep an open mind, it makes me feel better for using this site and I'm glad you took the time to address this thread.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

As somebody who has been an on-again, off-again member of the forum for a couple years, I think the owner of this site provides a really valuable service.

I don't see any advertisements on the site, so I have no problem at all with him making money by selling some proven products - how else could he keep the site going?

just m,y 0.02.

Wishclean, thanks for starting this debate. The fact that you got Dan to join in the discussion and make a small change is incredible. You are so right about making noise on a smaller level to bring about changes on a larger scale. I have not found the acne diet that works for me but as you said, it's just a matter of matching the correct diet to the individual. I admit i am discouraged on the diet front but i know that a healthy diet tailored for my body can help my overall health. I would definitely love to meet up with you if i'm ever in your neck of the woods as you seem like a cool person.

1 person likes this

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Wishclean, thanks for starting this debate. The fact that you got Dan to join in the discussion and make a small change is incredible. You are so right about making noise on a smaller level to bring about changes on a larger scale. I have not found the acne diet that works for me but as you said, it's just a matter of matching the correct diet to the individual. I admit i am discouraged on the diet front but i know that a healthy diet tailored for my body can help my overall health. I would definitely love to meet up with you if i'm ever in your neck of the woods as you seem like a cool person.

thanks for reading my rant lol. A small change is fine, but not really that accurate. Plus, he still hasn't added vitamins to the options on how to deal with acne, or specific diets for that matter. But oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

Not sure if the mods could address this. It's something that kind of bothers me on acne.org, a forum that supposedly supports various approaches to acne. I know the main point for some (Dan) is to make money off of the regimen products (let's be real, $$$ is part of the reason why this site exists, even though it's helping a lot of people). But I still think that in the list of possible acne treatments here http://www.acne.org/treatments.html , natural remedies shouldn't be labeled as largely ineffective. What's the point of having a Diet & Holistic forum on acne.org if the hosting site doesn't even support diet and holistic approaches to acne?

Sorry for being nit picky, media analysis is my job and I inevitably analyze these things. I just think it's ironic and biased to dismiss natural treatments while pushing accutane and dan's products as the most effective treatments. I thought Dan was all about alternative research and finding new things that work, not pushing something that has so many potential side effects while also discounting the experiences of so many people who fight acne the natural way.

Can someone give me an answer or correct the label on that page? It bothers smart people like me to see such narrow mindedness on that page. And if there is scientific evidence to back up that list, fine, then there are so many other scientific papers that list all the detrimental side effects of accutane and bp. Therefore, these treatments are not 100% successful and they are controversial. I just think other approaches should be given some merit, otherwise what is the point of having separate sub forums if you're only going to push 2 mainstream treatments? At least give it a "Somewhat Effective" rating...it's offensive to the hundreds of people (thousands over the years) who are posting on the holistic forum.

Anyway, my rant is over

This forum has existed way before Dan offered his products. It's his website and he is free to promote and sell whatever he likes.

1 person likes this