acne benzoyl peroxide breakouts

9 replies to this topic

#1 eruiz125

eruiz125

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Okay so recently (past 3 weeks) I've been breaking out like crazy! These little white pimple all over. I am on a regimen provided by my derm and I've been on it for quite sometime. I wash my face 2x daily and in the morning apply clindamyacin gel, then sunscreen, and lastly I moisturize. At night I wash my face and then apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide from the regimen on here, and lastly I moisturize. My diet is good not much fast food or fried foods. I drink vitamin a&e and I have for about a year now. I've also taken antibiotics and still manage to break out, my derm says my acne is only mild. I drink 2 liters of water and try not to touch my skin at all. I don't wear make up (only eyeliner and mascara). However, I still manage to breakout so much! And not to mention how oily my skin gets. Do you guys have any tips for me? What can I try or do to stop my oily skin and breakouts :(

#2 aerine

aerine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

How long have you been on this regemen from the derm??? Wether your acne is mild or severe usually a derm will change the regimen if its unable to treat your acne.

#3 eruiz125

eruiz125

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Since I was 17 and I'm almost 21

I used to be on epiduo and a couple months ago I switched to the regimens benzoyl peroxide from acne.org

#4 Pimple Zone

Pimple Zone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Acne is usually caused by hormonal changes.  It can also be affected by diet.  If your skin feels oily then it is producing extra oils to counter balance the drying effect of the benzoyl peroxide.  This will also produce clogged pores and pimples.  I would suggest trying a product with Salicylic acid, or cutting back on the BP.  Another confusing thing with the skin, is if you apply extra moisturizer, it will in turn prevent the skin from producing so much oils.  For a home remedy option you can try coconut oil or olive oil as a mask.  

#5 Desert In Bloom Acne

Desert In Bloom Acne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

Are you taking birth control pills?

#6 eruiz125

eruiz125

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Nope

#7 Desert In Bloom Acne

Desert In Bloom Acne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Clindamycin and BP both suppress the P Acnes population, so you really don't need to use both of these. One will suffice. Your problem is excess sebum production from elevated testosterone. You can try birth control pills. Have your tried chemical peels with a Glycolic acid/salicylic acid mix?

If you don't want to take BC, try the recommendations below:

(1) Buy daily wash that contains Salicylic Acid -- Use twice a day.

Adjust your diet to: Low Glycemic Index (low sugars, white breads, flour pasta or flour-based products. For pasta, eat Quinoa Pasta instead - tastes the same as Flour or Durham Wheat pasta. Low Dairy. Low Glutens (wheat). These all can contribute to acne formation.

Acne Elixer: 1 Part Tomato Juice, 1 Part Carrot Juice, 1 Part Coconut Milk & 1 Tablespoon Sunflower Oil -- blend these ingredients to make a juice, drink twice daily.

Drink Green Tea 3 to 5 cups per day, freshly brewed.

Daily Supplements: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Zinc (30 mg), L-carnitine, Omega 3 fish oil, vitamin B5

This will help control from the "inside" by better controlling your sebum production.

What are you using as a moisturizer? Make sure it has a good antioxidant such as Green Tea extract or Superoxide Dimutase.

DO NOT put coconut oil, olive oil or any other oil on your face ... Comedogenic ... May make matters worse and provide no long-term benefit.

Products that dry your skin such as BP or adding excess moisturizer do NOT stimulate additional sebum production! Sebum production is regulated by the amount of DH Testosterone your body produces and that is genetic.

Your current derm regimen is suppressing your P Acne population, but is not addressing the root hormonal cause. It's treating the symptom, but not the disease.

Recommended Products:

RhondaAllison.com

http://www.rhondaall...r_Support.html?

Edited by Desert In Bloom Acne, 21 April 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#8 SuperSloan

SuperSloan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

I would recommend against the salicylic acid wash.  It doesn't stay on your skin long enough to be effective.  Interesting article about it here  http://www.acne-treatment-guide.com

#9 eruiz125

eruiz125

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Yeah I have tried salicylic acid before and it didn't do much. I already take vitamin a & e. I'm going to start with vitamin d, I heard it helps reduce oil. I'm pretty sure my problem is hormonal but if wouldn't go on BC any time soon.

#10 Desert In Bloom Acne

Desert In Bloom Acne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Yeah I have tried salicylic acid before and it didn't do much. I already take vitamin a & e. I'm going to start with vitamin d, I heard it helps reduce oil. I'm pretty sure my problem is hormonal but if wouldn't go on BC any time soon.

5,000 to 10,000 IU per day is recommended.

Vitamin D in Acne Treatment: Why It Works
There are a number of possible mechanisms by which vitamin D, and especially its analogue, vitamin D3, can help prevent and improve acne symptoms. These mechanisms of action are well understood and can easily be the target of vitamin D supplied in supplements.

Anti-comedogenic Effect
A study published in 2006 in Experimental Dermatology by J. Reichrath et al. examined the effect of vitamin D on the cells of the sebaceous glands.

The researchers discovered that vitamin D and its analogues suppress cell proliferation in the sebaceous gland.

This effect is possible because the cells of the sebaceous gland have vitamin D receptors (VDRs). Therefore, when vitamin D binds to these receptors, it can inhibit cell proliferation which can help prevent the enlargement of the gland.

The enlargement of the sebaceous gland is the major change caused by male sex hormones in the development of acne.

When this gland is enlarged, sebum production increases exponentially and excess sebum is pushed to the skin surface where it creates an ideal environment for excessive growth of acne-causing bacteria such as Propionibacterium acnes.

By preventing cell proliferation in the sebaceous gland, vitamin D inhibits the acne-causing effects of androgens such as testosterone.

The ability of vitamin D to suppress the enlargement of the sebaceous gland increases with the dose of the supplement given.

Edited by Desert In Bloom Acne, 27 April 2014 - 07:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users