7 replies to this topic

#1 smichelle

smichelle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi guys,

So I’d like to pick your brains on something- I’ve figured out the underlying cause of my SUPER oily skin. I’m happy I finally have my acne portion under control- however I really need to cure my oil problem as it’s excessive and causes me a lot of stress and anxiety. I went for blood work last week and my doctor sent me for more because he believes I may have high insulin levels.

After researching like crazy I’ve realized this directly affects sebum production and androgens as well. He also prescribed me Diane 35 which is an anti-androgen birth control. I don’t want to have to take it- as I’ve been off birth control for 3 months now without issues, I’d love to keep it that way. In order for me to treat my insulin resistance and cure my oily skin- I know my diet has to continue being very good.

About 3 months ago I completely cut out all dairy, sugar, gluten, wheat and grains. I eat veggies, meat, eggs , nuts and nut butters and occasionally some rice cakes with coconut spread and cheese/butter for fat and fruit maybe a few times a week.  I cook everything in extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and make desserts with coconut or almond flour. Now- its been 3 months and like I said, my acne is gone- but the oil is not.

I’ve read millions of studies on simple carbohydrates causing insulin spikes and of course this is obvious. But after cutting those out for 3 months, I can’t understand why my oily skin is still there?

I’ve also recently read about cutting out all fruit/grains(even my beloved rices cakes) because that can cause insulin spikes.

And the whole reason I’m writing this is because today I came across a few articles saying that any animal protein- such as meat, eggs and butter- can cause HUGE insulin spikes- twice as much as white pasta.

This completely boggled my mind! Does anyone have any input on this? Has anyone cured insulin resistance and more specifically oily

skin from it? With what diet?!

If anyone would like sources- I’ll go back and find the articles.

#2 LeadingForce

LeadingForce

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

my insulin levels are low and my skin is still oily on a scale from 1-10 there like 5

#3 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I have the same questions. Oily skin annoys me more than my acne tbh, and I'd love to figure out how to get rid of it completely. I eat only veggies, fruit, oats, and chicken and my skin is still more oily than a normal person's skin. That's really interesting about the meat causing insulin spikes; I hadn't heard that before.

#4 smichelle

smichelle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hey Paigems!

I also have an article that says we should be treating fruit like a peice of candy..because it causes such drastic insulin spikes. I truly dont know what to believe anymore! Some say fruit/meat are fine and some say to stay away..Theres a big difference between the glycemic index and the insulin index. I hope theres more input to come!

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

You shouldn't have to avoid meat. It's dairy that's particularly high in the insulinemic amino acids.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

I don't think meat causes huge insulin spikes...what kind of meat specifically? 

You should eat something every 2-3 hours to prevent insulin spikes. Regular snacking is just as important as what you eat.

It takes MONTHS if not more for hormones to stabilize, so I wouldn't expect any changes with oil production for at least 6 months. You can try witch hazel topically for oil control, it works for some people. 

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#7 Threedaysgrace

Threedaysgrace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music- Three days grace, My Chemical romance, Panic! At the Disco, Fall out boy, Sick Puppies , The Pretty Reckless
    Art- Painting and basically drawing anything.
    Being lazy

Achievements

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

I have the same questions. Oily skin annoys me more than my acne tbh, and I'd love to figure out how to get rid of it completely. I eat only veggies, fruit, oats, and chicken and my skin is still more oily than a normal person's skin. That's really interesting about the meat causing insulin spikes; I hadn't heard that before.

Hello if i eat rolled oats I have an insulin spike and get acne. Replace the oats with coarse oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal

#8 k3tchup

k3tchup

Registered Nurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:patient care, teaching, learning, interesting patients, quality discussions

Music, movies, occasional book.

Achievements

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Pure Meat (no grizzle) is all protein therefore is 0 carbs and carries no glycemic response. Its why diabetics who count carbs do not include meat as a carb to be counted therefore no insulin is given. 

This isn't a problem unless you are burning fat or protein as a primary source of energy in which this is bad to begin with unless you don't care to lose a kidney a or two.

Nurses quietly go about their work in a noble profession, uncelebrated soldiers toiling through the days and nights in service to the sick, the injured and the dying. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users