Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help With Diet

14 posts in this topic

Hello I have had severe acne since December I think this is because of my excessive coffee consumption which mucked up insulin response system. And then my acne got worse.

Skin conditions i have: kp, acne, psorasis. Also i have ammenohrea- seconday- which is when someone who has had regular periods suddenly has absent periods. I think reduced calorie intake from diet is what caused it – but I am now keeping my calorie intake steady. Yet still no period. I did a blood test yesterday for my ammenohrea and I am really scared- I know stressin isnt going to help either my period or acne.

Kp- genetic is linked to dairy and gluten- so i have cut that out - too soon to check for improvements Iodine rich food- spinach in large amounts trigger the worst of cystic acne on my back Also citrus- i went on a low histamine diet- so no citrus, spinach , tomatoes, chocolate, cocoa powder, green tea, fish except salmon.

My diet: no citrus, limited spinach, no chocolate,processed, deep fried, or fried foods, no gluten or dairy, high gi foods and fruits and processed bullsh*t- triggers pustules.

Basically: fresh food- low histamine, yellow bellpeppers or any bellpepper, carrots- grated to reduce gi, Boiled sweet potatoes- reduce gi, brown rice 80g, chickpea pancakes, mung bean noodles/beanthread, dosa with spicy coconut chutney- tastes awesome, lentils, apples, plums, low gi fruit and other veg.

I have 5 active cysts and 22 whitehead on my face- one tangerine gives me two cysts the next day, I ate two. The other cyst was from the vitamin c supplement i believe.

Anyway I am back on the diet I did cheat a bit during the time and also my picking habit which is most likely together the reason for the 22 whiteheads.

I still do get mild acne on my face – does anyone have any herbal teas that won’t affect the female sex hormones but would help acne. I have reasearched chammonile, spearmint, red clover, stinging nettle- this one seems to help men the most, but all these have an effect on oestrogen and progesterone. I don’t know the results of the blood test but one of the causes of ammenohrea is PCOS.

Sorry for how long it is.

1 person likes this

For teas, try roiboos tea.

If you have PCOS, I suggest you check the Hormonal forum on acne.org. I am managing my PCOS through a few supplements, diet, yoga, acupuncture and healthier lifestyle choices.

The low histamine diet should also include no other histamine triggers such as certain body lotions or mouthwashes etc. But only if you do indeed have a histamine problem, otherwise it's too restrictive for anyone to follow long term. I posted a grocery list of things that don't trigger histamine reactions for me, it might be worth a look although each person reacts differently to certain things.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

Sounds like you could have a few different things going on. I would start by switching out all legumes - chickpeas, mung beans, dosa, lentils, etc - for non-processed meats. I would recommend chicken and fish.

Soup is a wonderful healing food. If you use a whole chicken to make bone broth and add in some rice, vegetables, and herbs, you'll have a complete and incredibly nutritious meal.

I would also recommend that you increase your fat intake. Fat is the safest macromolecule, especially if it's saturated. Coconut oil and ghee are the best. If you eat some fat with your vegetables, you'll get more nutrition out of them.

1 person likes this

For teas, try roiboos tea.

If you have PCOS, I suggest you check the Hormonal forum on acne.org. I am managing my PCOS through a few supplements, diet, yoga, acupuncture and healthier lifestyle choices.

The low histamine diet should also include no other histamine triggers such as certain body lotions or mouthwashes etc. But only if you do indeed have a histamine problem, otherwise it's too restrictive for anyone to follow long term. I posted a grocery list of things that don't trigger histamine reactions for me, it might be worth a look although each person reacts differently to certain things.

Sounds like you could have a few different things going on. I would start by switching out all legumes - chickpeas, mung beans, dosa, lentils, etc - for non-processed meats. I would recommend chicken and fish.

Soup is a wonderful healing food. If you use a whole chicken to make bone broth and add in some rice, vegetables, and herbs, you'll have a complete and incredibly nutritious meal.

I would also recommend that you increase your fat intake. Fat is the safest macromolecule, especially if it's saturated. Coconut oil and ghee are the best. If you eat some fat with your vegetables, you'll get more nutrition out of them.

The reason I suggest avoiding legumes is more because they have a lot of antigenic proteins. If you've ever walked through a soybean field close to harvest, you would see why humans are perhaps not proficient at digesting them. They're covered in sharp needle-like spines. It would be quite impossible to harvest them without injuring oneself if one only used his hands.

The reason I suggest avoiding legumes is more because they have a lot of antigenic proteins. If you've ever walked through a soybean field close to harvest, you would see why humans are perhaps not proficient at digesting them. They're covered in sharp needle-like spines. It would be quite impossible to harvest them without injuring oneself if one only used his hands.

Hiya i'm not sure but wouldn't cooking lentils destroy these antigenic proteins- what about nuts and seeds?

Ok t

Hiya i'm not sure but wouldn't cooking lentils destroy these antigenic proteins- what about nuts and seeds?

Yes and no. Cooking will destroy some of the proteins, but unless the food is cooked until it disintegrates, there will still be folded proteins grating the food structure.

Nut and seeds are also antigenic, but not to the same degree. I would say they are okay in moderation.

Help i dont know what happpened i was foowing this but i have three new cyst one is now a purple lump from tea tree oil i have 6 new papules and pustues i hust want to cry and theres about 22 whiteheads i dont know what to do and lots of clogged pores

Could it have been lots of chicken

sweet potatoes

I have decided to just give up and cover my face in make up

It could be sweet potatoes if you're overdoing it. Any carbohydrate will spike your blood sugar in sufficient quantities. I really doubt that it's the chicken.

That being said, I don't want to just say things and have you cut out more foods. I would suggest keeping a food log, and write down how your skin is doing. You should probably realize, too, that you're in this for the long haul, no matter what course you take.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!